Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I would hate to think I'm on the hook for every idiot opinion anyone I was tangentially related to 8 years ago espoused recently, and 'dating' means precisely gently caress all regarding how well you know someone, unless you regularly open your first date with a long list of check boxes making sure they agree with you on every issue you're passionate about.

Also the trump years definitely broke a lot of people's brains who would have appeared normal beforehand, outing yourself as a conspiracy theory/nazi apologist has become so much more popular and easier lately, additionally I highly doubt Henry Cavill (who generally comes across as likeable, well intentioned, yet naive and very privileged) and Gina Carano were having in depth conversations about pronouns and trans rights in their limited time together

And even if they were, if you're expecting Henry Cavill to be the wokest dude ever then you're probably going to be disappointed. But he at least seems to have learned when to shut up about social issues he doesn't grasp since his embarrassing #metoo contributions.

You can still like the guy and appreciate his thick slab of an rear end while acknowledging he's made dumbass comments on things in the past, but that he dated someone ages ago who has recently said some awful poo poo is basically irrelevant in judging the guy (or indeed anyone)

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Butterfly Valley posted:

I would hate to think I'm on the hook for every idiot opinion anyone I was tangentially related to 8 years ago espoused recently, and 'dating' means precisely gently caress all regarding how well you know someone, unless you regularly open your first date with a long list of check boxes making sure they agree with you on every issue you're passionate about.
I am reminded of someone who, a year and a half in, decided completely out of the blue to tell me that she didn't believe that women really should be allowed vote. I have no idea how she decided it was the appropriate time to drop that into the conversation, but decide she did.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Butterfly Valley posted:

You can still like the guy and appreciate his thick slab of an rear end while acknowledging he's made dumbass comments on things in the past, but that he dated someone ages ago who has recently said some awful poo poo is basically irrelevant in judging the guy (or indeed anyone)

I find it interesting that in a discussion about wokeness, it’s acceptable to say this in a way that saying “you can still like the girl and appreciate her magnificent tits while acknowledging blah blah blah” would never be accepted.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're doing a real good job of looking personally offended on Carano's behalf.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TheCenturion posted:

I find it interesting that in a discussion about wokeness, it’s acceptable to say this in a way that saying “you can still like the girl and appreciate her magnificent tits while acknowledging blah blah blah” would never be accepted.

I said something like this once, I think in The Good Place thread, and one of the replies was from a perspective I hadn't thought of before -- it's more gross to talk about a woman like that because women have historically been treated like their magnificent tits were the only worthwhile thing about them. Whereas openly talking about the asses of good-looking men is a pretty new thing, and tends not to dehumanize them the way it would for a woman because society is already primed to appreciate men for their intellect and abilities.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Phenotype posted:

I said something like this once, I think in The Good Place thread, and one of the replies was from a perspective I hadn't thought of before -- it's more gross to talk about a woman like that because women have historically been treated like their magnificent tits were the only worthwhile thing about them. Whereas openly talking about the asses of good-looking men is a pretty new thing, and tends not to dehumanize them the way it would for a woman because society is already primed to appreciate men for their intellect and abilities.

Was this in response to people getting horny for Chidi when it turned out he was ripped?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Interesting theory. I’ll think about that.

So, Star Wars.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Her name is literally the title of the thread

vv I didn't say Hank is cancelled, I said I like Hank and I hope he's not like her. all of my posts are on this page and I never once say anything to the effect, you can all just settle down, lmao, i said he was hot and I liked him

I thought that was more of a sarcastic joke and not meant to signify what we have to talk about.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Pro Wrestler Seth Rollins betrayed his fiancé to sleep with an actual nazi but then broke up with that nazi to marry and father a child with Pro Wrestler Becky Lynch. Celebrity relationships are never not weird.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
They both used gamer words. He was initially confused because she would use them in strange contexts outside of gaming, like when she was talking about the President.

It's an easy mistake to make, anyone could have done it.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

TheCenturion posted:

Interesting theory. I’ll think about that.

So, Star Wars.

I have the rant of ewoks episode 1 on standby if this continues. :D

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

shades of eternity posted:

I have the rant of ewoks episode 1 on standby if this continues. :D

Not good enough. We need a detailed analysis of the first Ewoks made for TV movie.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
That will take some time to hunt down, but will do.

Doesn't caravan of courage already have a narrator?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The Y-wing is the workhorse of the Rebel fleet. It’s not quick or flashy, but it gets the job done. The armor on this ship is extensive, and the shields will protect you from just about anything, which is good because you won’t be going anywhere fast. The Y-wing is used mainly as a bomber, because it can carry a heavy payload of missiles, torpedos, and bombs. The other important weapon is the top-side ion cannon, which rather than destroying a target can disable it for later capture. Our cannons have a computer assisted auto-fire feature, so don’t forget that when you’re in the heat of battle.

Gonk.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I always hated the video games making the Y-wing a slow pig. The RotJ production materials put it at roughly as fast and maneuverable as an X-wing! :argh:

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Just found out Henry Cavill and Gina Carano used to date and I’m having a really hard time processing that because Hank is a gamer and I like him and his huge juicy butt

jtfc

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I always hated the video games making the Y-wing a slow pig. The RotJ production materials put it at roughly as fast and maneuverable as an X-wing! :argh:

What's the problem Han, I thought you said this thing was fast! :smug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

You could also picture Darth Vader as having an English country accent, since David Prowse, his physical actor, had a regional accent and thought for most of production that he'd be the one voicing Vader going off urban legend. You can hear a bit of his spoken voice in clips like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFho0_G1VI. Which, I'm not surprised that they replaced his voice honestly, since his voice doesn't have the depth and gravitas associated with Vader at the very least. It's hard to know how it'd be received when you know what it could be, but it doesn't seem nearly as menacing or iconic at the very least.

The Making Of for the BBC Hitch-Hikers series has a great interview with David Learner, who had both played and voiced Marvin in the stage show but was told he wouldn't be doing the voice for TV. Dave Prowse had a small role on the show, and Learner, feeling a little bit of commonality, asked why Prowse hadn't been allowed to do the voice of Vader. Totally deadpan, Prowse replied "Oi really couldn't say".

Vader was never quite as scary to kids in the UK. We all knew he was the Green Cross Code Man.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

If I found out a friend of mine used to date a transphobic Nazi yeah I’d have some questions, like “what did they talk about?” or “I wonder what else they have in common?”. It might have been a strictly “hot people loving” scenario but maybe they hung out and exchanged anti-Semitic memes about cancel culture, I dunno.

Nah. Don't go there. Just take a look at the Qanoncasualties subreddit to see how many spouses just lost their brains due to Trump and Q. There's a very common theme of "This is 180 of the person I married." Apparently exposure to Q and Trump can turn compassionate and smart people into intolerable hate monsters very quickly.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Phenotype posted:

It's partially this and it's also that Henry evidently does a shitload of working out to get his body in the shape he's in. His roles are defined by his physicality and muscularity that he's actively worked to achieve, so appreciating his rear end is more akin to appreciating talent rather than judging someone on their physical attributes they had no choice over.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I wasn’t that into Hank before The Witcher (Superman is a dumb character, who cares) and he put out a bunch of videos promoting it and one thing he kept highlighting was that, due to the acrobatic nature of Geralt’s sword fighting style, it was actually his legs, rear end, and hips that needed to do most of the work because he basically always has giant beach arms, but he couldn’t do all the fancy spins and pirrohuettes until he got his butt into “ballet” shape.

It’s not just me lusting after a hunk, it’s the actor literally putting out content directly to his fans saying “I cannot believe how much work I had to do to get my rear end into this shape”

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's partially this and it's also that Henry evidently does a shitload of working out to get his body in the shape he's in. His roles are defined by his physicality and muscularity that he's actively worked to achieve, so appreciating his rear end is more akin to appreciating talent rather than judging someone on their physical attributes they had no choice over.

I respect his hard work, and truly wish I had the same work ethic in the gym.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Apprentice Dick posted:

I respect his hard work, and truly wish I had the same work ethic in the gym.

... and his team of personal trainers, and his dietician, and his nutritionist, and his stunt coordinators who tell him what stretches to do, and the giant production companies who pay his rent and all his bills while he works out 6 hours a day.

Like, yeah, theoretically we could ALL have bodies like Henry Cavill & the Kardashians, but it's important to highlight when someone's entire career is being in shape, there's literally a team of people's whose career is ALSO keeping that person in shape, it's not like he just went to the gym every day for his whole life and perfectly scultped himself into an adonis.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

... and his team of personal trainers, and his dietician, and his nutritionist, and his stunt coordinators who tell him what stretches to do, and the giant production companies who pay his rent and all his bills while he works out 6 hours a day.

Like, yeah, theoretically we could ALL have bodies like Henry Cavill & the Kardashians, but it's important to highlight when someone's entire career is being in shape, there's literally a team of people's whose career is ALSO keeping that person in shape, it's not like he just went to the gym every day for his whole life and perfectly scultped himself into an adonis.

What you list is maybe 3% progress and 2% motivation, the other 95% is just showing up to the gym, lifting harder than last time, and not eating garbage. And you don't train 6 hours a day because your body and mind will break down, 45m to an hour every other day is plenty of volume, unless you are on steroids then maybe you can recover from 2 hours a day, every day.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah i'm not saying he doesn't work hard, i'm just saying we can't all expect the same results that celebrities with entire economies based around their looking good can achieve. Yeah, we can all workout every day and not eat garbage, that's not the same thing as having all of your meals planned ahead of time and cooked fresh for you daily by a trained chef the studio provides, who is perfectly up to date on your diet because he's in the same slack as your nutritionist.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Is Henry Cavill's rear end going to replace Grogu for the next season

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have been quested to return this sweet butt to its people.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

I have been quested to return this sweet butt to its people.

Warner Herzog says 'I would like to see the rear end.'

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah i'm not saying he doesn't work hard, i'm just saying we can't all expect the same results that celebrities with entire economies based around their looking good can achieve. Yeah, we can all workout every day and not eat garbage, that's not the same thing as having all of your meals planned ahead of time and cooked fresh for you daily by a trained chef the studio provides, who is perfectly up to date on your diet because he's in the same slack as your nutritionist.

What's really impressive is what Pro Wrestlers accomplish without all the machinery that Hollywood employs to make their movie stars hot, since if they're not rich enough to pay for the entire thing on their own dime like a John Cena WWE is too cheap and cruel to help them with it, and they're ALSO on the road in cramped rental cars and lovely hotels all the time and thus cooking their own non-lovely food is closed off to them for a large chunk of the week.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Warner Herzog says 'I would like to see the rear end.'

‘We shall all be very horny.’

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao this is getting was off track from the show.

You can expect the same results, as long as you are willing to do roids, and work hard, there is nothing a chef and nutritionist provide that gives you an edge on anyone, other than convenience, you can literally just add fruits, veggies, and greek yogurt to your meals and snacks, train smart, and see the same gains as HC, no cooking or preparation required.

These excuses are not doing anyone any favors.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok dude I’m glad you’re very buff and hunky

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ogarza posted:

Lmao this is getting was off track from the show.

You can expect the same results, as long as you are willing to do roids, and work hard, there is nothing a chef and nutritionist provide that gives you an edge on anyone, other than convenience, you can literally just add fruits, veggies, and greek yogurt to your meals and snacks, train smart, and see the same gains as HC, no cooking or preparation required.

These excuses are not doing anyone any favors.
TIL that instead of all those hours of fencing training as a kid I should have just hit the gym for 45 mintues a day.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

“Convenience” is a massive luxury for the majority of the population

Never mind the access to equipment and the time it takes to “train”

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Access to equipment, responsibilities at home, being tired from working all day... there’s a lot of things that hold a lot of people back from getting into great shape. People do what they can but it takes more sacrifice for a regular person than it does someone who makes their living mostly off their physique. I don’t think that’s discouraging anyone from trying but just saying ‘yeah anyone can do it dummy’ is just as discouraging for people who can’t find the time/energy to get started and past the hump.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Please, all this talk about fitness and hitting the gym is distracting from the thread's main topic of whether chuddery is transmitted like an STD :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cavill: I was trying to find out if Gina Carano is racist but I couldn't hear what she was saying over the thick clap of my rear end cheeks

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Carano: let me tell you about Qanon--
Cavill: :tutbutt:
Carano: :swoon:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

12/10, would love the Witcher to have a role in any of the upcoming Filoniverse Star Wars shows. Not sure Netflix has him to an exclusive contract though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

"I purely admire this person's rear end because I can appreciate the work ethic put into it"

Yes, yes of course that is the reason...