Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Froghammer posted:

Ogors por favor. Ogre Kingdoms always had a soft spot in my heart, as I too am completely and utterly motivated by food.

Apparently there's a playable one in the Cursed City boardgame too, which bodes well for the potential for PC rules in Soulbound.

Yeah, and the main villain of Cursed City is an ogor vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Ogor Mawtribes please.

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, and the main villain of Cursed City is an ogor vampire.
There are some mixed signals about that. They said on Facebook that he wasn't an ogor, but they usually don't know much so there's still hope :(

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The Ogor PC is literally only there because they like the way undead taste

Which rules

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If Radukar himself isn't an ogor, he's certainly in charge of a bunch of them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There must be plenty of gourmet leaning ogur in the sigmarite alliance as chaos and oruk just suck at consistently providing interesting meals.
You've tasted the unrecognizable fungoid life form stew once and you've tasted most everything orkish cuisine has to offer, and don't even get me started on what those disgusting Slaaneshites do to their food before serving them:distonk:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

By popular demand posted:

There must be plenty of gourmet leaning ogur in the sigmarite alliance as chaos and oruk just suck at consistently providing interesting meals.
You've tasted the unrecognizable fungoid life form stew once and you've tasted most everything orkish cuisine has to offer, and don't even get me started on what those disgusting Slaaneshites do to their food before serving them:distonk:

I've got an image of that one Oglaf comic where the ambassador fucks a cake.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Part 7, the NLF - What if I told you it could be even less interesting?

There's a lot of talk about reducing games to their interesting decisions. I think this is reasonable, though sometimes taken a bit too far. Adam Starkweather has chosen the worst of all worlds- a series of reductive decisions that don't reflect any of the genuine give-and-take opportunities either side had, and it comes up with as vengeance for the Communist HQ stances.

Much like with the US options, most of these things were not mutually exclusive. A good game would try to reflect the ability of main force VC units to recruit in the south, infiltrate, attack, and evade often during the same season. This capability could be degraded, and it was, but the game really doesn't have any kind of systematic mechanism for it. It's just if you do the Tet Offensive(that's what the General Uprising is representing), the VC units no longer spawn. This is historically accurate, in that the series of Tet Offensives, the attrition associated, and the Phoenix Program's targeted intelligence-gathering and assassinations did a number on the NLF's ability to put main force VC units into the theatre and have them be combat effective, but it just sort of happens, rather than being anything the US player has to do.

I could go into each of the choices in detail, but i'll focus on the important aspects instead and focus down on some broken mechanics. For example, the infiltrate stance allows the Communist player to march VC units of any size in or adjacent to towns or cities and launch free airfield strikes for each unit adjacent. This means that it is quite trivial for the communist player to ground any air units trying to operate out of South Vietnam, which means the entire USAF except those flying from Thailand. This is a very clear indication that no one actually playtested this game. Any buffoon playing the campaign would've seen the trivial opportunity and there's simply not enough units on the map compared to the map scale to guard all the hexes that would need to be guarded.

Because this game does very little to differentiate units, the VC spawns in based on random chance- do their cadres randomly spawn other cadres which drastically increases the rate by which VC units spawn in, or do things go slowly? The only concession to the Communist player needing to hold territory to be able to recruit for the main force units is that cadres do need to be in certain kinds of hexes to spawn random VC units unless the recruit stance is chosen. The worst aspect of this to me is that it really doesn't map to how things really worked at all. It's just a really simplistic system that Starkweather threw in to make them different. It is hard to model semi-conventional units in this kind of game, but if you're going to do the Vietnam War, you have to have some idea about how to do it.

Thanks, Adam.

As for the offensives, they are the one thing that kinda do need to be there. NLF operations were somewhat cyclical and the nature of how main force VC and PAVN units worked meant that they needed to prepare for offensives. The need for preparation and to move supplies also meant they didn't do offensives during the monsoons generally, even if they would've reduced US airpower. Le Duan chose deliberately to engage in offensive action including large scale offensives until 1969, somewhat due to his own underestimation of the US position in the country as well as what the Chinese were asking of him. This came to a head in 1970 and he became much more gunshy about offensives, avoiding small scale operations like the "mini-Tet" attacks and focusing on huge, well-prepared pushes, culminating in the 1972 Easter Offensive and the 1975 Offensive. This, combined with the peace talks, did not please the Chinese.

Unfortunately, most games do not generally do a great job of capturing this offensive spirit in the North Vietnamese government and mostly think of it exclusively in terms of Tet. Those of you who've preordered GMT's Vietnam: 1965-1975 may be a bit unpleasantly surprised by the old historiography on display, even though that game, I think, has a great sense of design and systems.

As we get to the conclusion of this review, I hope the reader comes out with a good understanding of the missed opportunities to say anything, really, to have game mechanics for all of these things that get played at. It is very difficult to get all of these things in a game with a lower complexity and game length, but this game is much too long to say it's excluding things for brevity's sake. Even very complex games often miss these. There's a reason I don't think we really have a definitive Vietnam game to look at and easily recommend the way, say, Paths of Glory exists for World War I. The war was just too complex and the history is still in the process of being worked on.

The game has time for this, but can't figure out an interesting way for VC units to interact with the rest of the board. You've seen this image before, but it's just emblematic of a game that is designed with someone who is completely checked out on the subject.

Next Up - Part 8, the Bitter end.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I'd be down for some ogrusses, sure

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mors Rattus posted:

If Radukar himself isn't an ogor, he's certainly in charge of a bunch of them.

Ah, so he's a Halfling.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

GimpInBlack posted:

Ah, so he's a Halfling.

that would explain the size of the wolf pelt he's wearing

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If a game about an ogur restaurant critic wondering the realms in search of that new taste sensation does not exist then this year is not any improvement over the last.

I must believe that Flavour Town is real

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Panzeh posted:

Le Duan chose deliberately to engage in offensive action including large scale offensives until 1969, somewhat due to his own underestimation of the US position in the country as well as what the Chinese were asking of him. This came to a head in 1970 and he became much more gunshy about offensives, avoiding small scale operations like the "mini-Tet" attacks and focusing on huge, well-prepared pushes, culminating in the 1972 Easter Offensive and the 1975 Offensive. This, combined with the peace talks, did not please the Chinese.

I think there's a "not" missing somewhere in there, no?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

By popular demand posted:

If a game about an ogur restaurant critic wondering the realms in search of that new taste sensation does not exist then this year is not any improvement over the last.

I must believe that Flavour Town is real

Flavour Town, Population: You

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

JcDent posted:

I think there's a "not" missing somewhere in there, no?

I do think that was an awkward paragraph, and probably should have gone into more detail about what I meant.

"Yes, a prolonged war. You should prepare to fight a prolonged war, but isn’t it better if the war is shortened?" is a quote from Mao to Le Duan in 1970. Le Duan had been trying to shorten the prolonged war for the past six years at least and this discussion is a start in the strategic rift between North Vietnam and China.

The NLF certainly didn't sit out the whole time before the Tet offensive, though there was an offensive lull in 1967 to prepare for Tet.

Grab Their Belts is a good summary of what the NLF was trying to do in the first two years of US involvement in the war, and it wasn't laying low or slow infiltration, but they genuinely thought they were going to be able to inflict a serious defeat on US forces.

Also the game incorrectly puts both Giap and An as leaders of the North Vietnamese war effort- Giap was a figurehead at this point, mostly marginalized from real power. An seemed picked out of a hat because he was present at Ia Drang and got a corps command for the 1975 offensive.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 1, 2021

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Also the game incorrectly puts both Giap and An as leaders of the North Vietnamese war effort- Giap was a figurehead at this point, mostly marginalized from real power. An seemed picked out of a hat because he was present at Ia Drang and got a corps command for the 1975 offensive.

That book looks really interesting! Any other recommendations for updated scholarship using Vietnamese sources?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

That book looks really interesting! Any other recommendations for updated scholarship using Vietnamese sources?

Hanoi's War is a good book, if a bit dry, about the political structure of the North Vietnamese government and how it went about fighting the war at a strategic level.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'll second that recommendation and also the comment that it is "dry". There's also not a lot about actual military stuff and it focuses heavily on what we know about politics in the North (very little) and foreign diplomacy (a lot). It's going to be some time before we hear anything about the internal politics because I think those archives are very hard to get into and probably won't open because the party has a lot of stuff buried in there it probably doesn't want to talk about until everyone forgets about the 20th century. Just keep in mind the book isn't really about the military stuff in the war, but rather the politics.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Just reading several editions of The world of Aden(Thunderscape) based rpgs that I don't expect I'll review because I'm only interested to see how the fluff evolved between different authors.

First time I've ever seen this blatant admission of not putting in a minor editorial effort for the benefit of the end user:

WELL gently caress YOU TOO BUDDY!

Is not giving you a page number a new way of writing rulebooks that an old out of touch relic like myself is just ignorant of?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Age of Sigmar: Ogor Mawtribes

The Ogor Mawtribes are natural disasters that walk. They smash through anything in their path, crushing anyone in their way and eating anything they can find. Once a Mawtribe has eaten its fill, which can take a while, it moves on to the next meal. The ogors have done this since the dawn of the Mortal Realms. In the Age of Myth, they were uneasy allies to Sigmar and the Pantheon of Order, but it was impossible that it could last. Their hunger was too strong. They did not falter in the Age of Chaos, surviving in the midst of slaughter by sheer power. And now, they rejoice at the return of Sigmar, because the Stormcast are a new delicacy to try.

Each Mawtribe is a massive horde of ogors, gathered together to migrate in search of food and shelter. Their routes appear random at first, but they're not, quite. Rather, they form incredibly large circles. Each Mawtribe heads out from their main lair on a food-seeking journey, then returns home to feast. Each raid sends them out further and further, as they eat quite a lot. These routes are known as Mawpaths, and anyone on one is likely to be eaten if they can't find some way to stop the nearly impossible force. Each ogor warrior is twice as tall as the average human and often far, far wider. They typically wield crude weapons, mostly clubs and cleavers which they use to tenderize flesh and chop it up as well as to fight. They are heavily tattooed, extremely fat and even more muscular. Their bodies are tough, able to withstand exceptionally harsh environments. They're practically unstoppable once angry, can smash through nearly anything, and can survive a direct hit from a cannon.

The core trait of an ogor is hunger. Many legends speak about their appetites, and few do them full justice. An ogor can eat practically anything. Their teeth are exceptionally strong, able to smash rocks, and their guts can digest metal and handle practically any poison with only minor issues. They love all kinds of food, but flesh is easily the tastiest for most. Some foes try to pay them off with offerings of meat, but they can rarely provide enough to stall or turn aside a full Mawtribe. Even if they stop temporarily, they'll soon be back. Most consider the ogors to be rather stupid, but none can deny their cunning. They're easily bought to serve just about any cause with sufficient food or money (because, after all, money can purchase food). The problem is that any such hire is temporary - ogors don't put much stock in ideas like honor or loyalty over physical things like food. As long as you keep this in mind, they are useful and skilled mercenaries.

There are two primary cultures within the Mawtribes, though both worship Gorkamorka and hunt for meat. The more numerous of the two are the Gutbusters, and as a collective they hold the most wealth among the Mawtribes, which they refer to as 'shinies.' They also are generally the best-armed. They see themselves as the perfect ogors, nomadic raiders who sweep across the lands and eat everything. They're highly skilled with guns, which they've learned to make quite well. They are led in their travels by the visions of the Butchers, blood-mages and seers who perform all kinds of culinary magic. They are accompanied by groups of Gnoblars, small relatives of the grots who perform various services for their masters in exchange for being kept around and not eaten very often.

The other main ogor culture is the Beastclaw Raiders. They are also nomads, but they choose their paths because they have no choice. They are endlessly pursued by a magical blizzard that will never stop chasing them, the Everwinter. It forces them to move constantly, because if they stay in one place too long, they will all freeze. They are master beast-tamers and hunters, commanding huge beasts and vicious hunting cats to aid them in their search for survival. They typically eat foes on the spot once they win battles or gather them up to eat on the road, because they never know where their next meal will come from.

Most Mawtribes are closer to the Gutbuster tradition and owe fealty to powerful Overtyrants, immense ogors that rule as unquestioned emperors by virtue of their size and strength. They are fat even by ogor standards, but still exceptionally deadly fighters. Those that lean towards the Beastclaws are more often ruled by the Frost Kings, conquering warlords who have discovered how to draw strength from the Everwinter that pursues them. In either case, when not seeking sustenance, the two different ogor cultures tend to fight each other, each seeking to prove their own way of life is the correct one. These battles are often incredibly lethal, which is fine by the ogors - they are far from ashamed of cannibalism, and many Overtyrants and Frost Kings consider ogor meat to be especially tasty. Each Mawtribe tends to be made of multiple Gutbuster warglutts and Beastclaw alfrostuns, each an army seeking control over the Mawtribe even as the Mawtribes seek dominance culturally. The warglutts and alfrostuns fight each other within the Mawtribe at times, but once their hunger unites them, they are far more terrifying to everyone nearby as they combine their might to get food for everyone.

The most important possession of any Mawtribe is the Great Mawpot, a gigantic iron cauldron that is both a cooking tool and a shrine to Gorkamorka in the aspect which the ogors worship them: the Gulping God. They are always cooking, even on the move - a stew of blood, marrow and meat which they call battlebroth. Battlebroth is practically impossible for any other species to consume, but for the ogors, it is nourishing and even healing. The Mawpot is typically made out of melted weapons, armor and treasures from the foes the Mawtribe has eaten in the past, blessed by the meatmasters of the Gulping God and serving as a focal enchantment for the Butchers' magic. Great Mawpots typically sit in the center of the camp, and after battle it is the central site of the gutbash feast in honor of Gorkamorka. The tribal leaders carve up prey and smash up bones, hurling it all into the Mawpot along with their favorite special ingredients - things like dried salamander glands, gargant blubber or even stranger things. The magic of the Mawpot allows even incorporeal ghostflesh or daemonic essence to be trapped and cooked, and some tribes consider that kind of thing a special delicacy. Once the food is cooked, the Butchers pour out the first bowls, which go to the ogors of highest rank. The Gnoblars then rush out to hand out food in order of prestige in the tribe, refilling bowls so that no one ever has to wait. In battle, the Mawpots are often dragged behind the ogor formation, anchoring them with bones and tusks. This allows the Butcher to perform their work on a slab of rock next to the pot, even in battle. Foes are hurled into the cauldron, living or dead, to empower the tribe's magic.

Next time: Meat and cold.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love the image that shows their paths.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I love the image that shows their paths.

...those are not concentric.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You are quite the eccentric.

I learned something today!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Foglet posted:

Ogres love Hawaiian earrings.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hawaiians yes, the earrings tend to get stuck in the teeth though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Foglet posted:

They range further out each time, but they're blocked by the mountains.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
At least their style of invading gives a lot of warning they are coming.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Age of Sigmar: Ogor Mawtribes
Eat The Rich

The ogors claim that in the ancient days of the Mortal Realms, Gorkamorka, whom they name the Gulping God or the Great Beast That Consumes the Realms, grew so hungry that mere living beings were not enough for him. He began to devour the lands themselves, eating of the harshest and largest landscapes. He tore out bite after bite of the Mortal Realms, and as he did, drool flowed from his mouth. His drool pooled in the bite marks that he left, and from it formed the first ogors. The ogors claim to be the physical embodiment of their god's hunger, his digestive juice made flesh, softening the Realms for Gorkamorka that he might one day consume them all. In the Age of Myth, they fought alongside their god, primarily against the enemies of the Pantheon of Order - usually monsters and wild things that threatened peaceful people. For a while, it was enough - the meat was plentiful. However, many ogors began to resent the fact that they were forbidden to eat of the people under Sigmar's protection, and began to crave the flesh of men and aelves and duardin. When, eventually, Gorkamorka grew bored and began his rampage, the ogors followed suit and indulged in the desires they had long been denied. The magic of the Butchers guided them to the tastiest cities and the greatest collections of meat.

Through the Age of Chaos, they revelled in being able to eat anyone and anything they wanted, though many were killed by the forces of Chaos, who saw them as worthy sacrifices to the Dark Gods. Many Chaos Lords offered great bounties of meat to the ogors, hiring them to help crack open the few bastions of freedom that resisted their forces. Each of the Mawtribes settled into a stretch of land they considered sacred, a Glutthold that would be their home. These places were named things like Great Mawfort in the Ogor Hinterlands, Tallow Pits in Glissom or the infamous Butcher's Gorge. Most still exist and are held by the ogors yet, despite some efforts by the Stormcast to dislodge them. Great, mouth-shaped totems to Gorkamorka are common in these lands, praising him both for the delicious meat of the world and for the fact that ogors are so strong and fertile.

More recently, many of the Mawpaths of the Gutbusters have been shaken or broken by the Necroquake. The old cycles of feeding have been disrupted, once fertile lands turned barren. Ogors can survive even on dirt and sand if they must, but their hunger is for meat. Many of the Butchers and Slaughtermasters claim the rot and ruin brought on their lands is due to shameful and blasphemous lack of appetite among their tribes, and new routes are being forged into lands that have not known the ravages of the ogors, hoping that a great feast may make up for their apparent failures. The Mawtribes have grown more aggressive of late, overwhelming any force they find and even attacking orruks and grots and each other in pursuit of meat when they have no other targets. Many have turned to fighting Nagash's legions, though they usually find skeletons and zombies distasteful. In these times, though, it is sometimes the only prey available. The Ossiarch Bonereapers have been tasked to destroy any ogors they find, thanks to the ogor raids - Nagash will not put up with the Mawtribes threatening his rise.

The Gutbuster warglutts are the most numerous of the ogor forces. Some are little more than 30 to 60 ogors hunting for food, while others have hundreds of members and are able to sack even the largest cities. They tend to stick to the Mawtribes' main forces, but sometimes a warglutt will hare off on its own in pursuit of particularly tasty prey or because one of their shamans tells them to. Splinter warglutts make their way across lands in an unpredictable manner, sometimes settling into a region for decades or centuries before they manage to eat everything nearby. At that point, they try to return home to their Mawtribe, or start a new one. Mast warglutts are ruled by a Tyrant, a brutal and iron-fisted leader who has earned rank by killing and eating all their rivals. The Gluttons and other low-ranking ogors all dream of rising to Tyrant or even Overtyrant status.

A Tyrant's word is law. There is no other authority in a warglutt that can match them, save for the Overtyrant that commands the Mawtribe. The only thing that they don't decide is where the warglutt should go in pursuit of food. That task is left to the tribe Slaughtermaster, who reads the entrails of prey to figure out what Gorkamorka wants. The Tyrant handles everything else - leading battles, diplomacy, the works. They typically gather an elite force of the biggest and nastiest Ironguts to serve as their Gutguard, who keep the rest of the warglutt in line through threats, bullying and occasional violence. The Gutguard are paid for this in the best cuts of meat after a battle. They rarely leave their Tyrant's side, though this should not be mistaken for any ideological loyalty. Indeed, most challengers to a Tyrant come from the ranks of the Gutguard. Rather, they stick close so they can be assured of good eating and are able to challenge when they feel ready.

A warglutt's Slaughtermaster is the second most respected ogor present. They lead the Butchers in the meat rituals and prepare the Tyrant's meals after battles. All ogors have a deep and powerful respect for these chef-magicians, and they often form small cults around the Slaughtermasters. Rarely, a Slaughtermaster may overthrow a Tyrant using their cult of followers and take command if they feel Gorkamorka's will is not being obeyed or if they get really hungry. Beneath them are the influential Butchers, who gather up and cook the dead after battle for the warglutt's meals. The main Gluttons of the glutt follow them around like puppydogs, hoping for scraps, and the glutt's Leadbelchers are often put in charge of blasting apart especially large cuts so they can be made easier to cook. The feasts will inevitably draw out the cursed Gorgers, who crave food endlessly but can never satisfy their cursed hunger. The other ogors see these poor creatures as repulsive animals rather than fellow ogors and usually drive them to the edges of the camp, where they must survive on what scraps are left over.

The glutt's Gnoblars follow after them, gathering up all the stuff the ogors don't eat - metal scraps, treasure, anything the ogors deem junk but the little creatures think is neat. The glutt typically avoids eating the Gnoblars unless they have nothing else on hand - they taste horrible and tend to be useful to have around, after all. The ogors are especially fond of the ramshackle siege engines the gnoblars like to build, which hurl junk everywhere. A warglutt may build up a number of stranger followers as well, such as the Firebelly shamans who pursue Gorkamorka in his aspect as the Sun-Eater rather than the standard ogor religious practices, or the mercenary ogors known as Maneaters, who care more for money and treasure and tend to be more familiar with diplomacy and the Free Peoples. The Maneaters are prone to turning on a glutt if they get a better offer, though.

The Beastclaw Raiders were once very similar to the Gutbuster warglutts, a very long time ago. Their legends claim that they were the favored hunters and trackers of Gorkamorka, excelling in catching and taming massive beasts in order to bring down even more massive prey from atop their monstrous mounts. They were, they claim, the favorites of their god and rewarded richly in food and foes...until their curse. Some say it was the first of the Frost Kings, Baergut Vosjarl, who betrayed the Gulping God and was punished by the first Everwinter. Others say Sigmar cursed the Beastclaws for their gluttony and set the cold on them to deny them prey, though they learned to stay ahead of it. Others say that the ancient Beastclaws broke open the Icefell Vaults of Shyish, unleashing the Winter Gods from the prison of Nagash to chase endlessly after their accidental saviors, hoping to give them the gift of infinite cold.

Several Mawtribes are ruled by Beastclaw Frost Kings rather than Gutbuster Overtyrants. These Mawtribes are generally dominated by the Beastclaw culture, though they are more than happy to incorporate any Gutbuster warglutts they conquer and don't eat. These Gutbusters must quickly learn how to survive in the endless flight from the Everwinter and are typically mocked as weaklings by the Beastclaw alfrostuns...except for the Butchers and Slaughtermasters, who remain quite respected for their mastery of cooking and seasoning, which are luxuries among the Beastclaw.

The rivalry between the two is fierce, and has led to great wars. In the Age of Myth, the Frostlord Braggoth Vardruk hunted for the Golden Hunting Grounds of Ghur, believing them to be a paradise that would stop the Everwinter. Unfortunately, he and his alfrostun were lured into the blizzard's path by aelven mages and were frozen in ice for centuries. At the start of the Age of Sigmar, they were freed by a stray lightning blast, rejoining their ancient Mawtribe, the Boulderhead Svard. Vardruk was enraged to learn it had been taken over by a cruel Overtyrant, and solved the problem the ogor way: he had his pet Stonehorn trample the Overtyrant into a meaty paste, which he then ate. He led the Boulderhead on succesful campaigns against several Gutbuster-controlled Mawtribes, eventually even turning on his tribe's old allies, the Meatfist, over who could use the symbol of the red fist of blood. The Meatfist claimed it was the sigil of Grawl Meatfist, while the Boulderhead said it was a sign of Vardurk's victory over Jorhar the Ur-Bear.

As a note, the Beastclaw actually speak their own language - a guttaral tongue called Svoringar, which has many local variations and dialects. It seems primitive to many outsiders, with only a small vocabulary and a handful of verbs, but the meaning of any specific word can change massively with tone and manner of speech. 'Atta' technically means mountain, but if spoken correctly, it can also mean strength or dominance over rivals, or it can be a threat. Each word also corresponds to a sharp-angled rune, and these runes are often painted on skin or armor among the Beastclaws. They refuse to teach their language to their Gutbuster cousins, whom they primarily speak to in the normal tongues of the ogors, so most Beastclaw Mawtribes actually have two names - the common one they use among outsiders and the one in Svoringar.

The manifestation of the Everwinter isn't uniform between the Beastclaw Mawtribes. In all cases, it's a magical snowstorm of incredible strength, but it isn't a single storm. It's a collection of linked storms across the Mortal Realms that chase every Beastclaw-dominated Mawtribe. For the Boulderhead, it manifests as a storm that hurls constant hailstones, each the size of a fist. For the Winterbite, it is a constant blanket of chilling fog. For the Thunderbellies, it is a thunderous, windy mix of lightning and snow. While ogors are well equipped for cold weather, between their tough hides and thick layer of warm fat, even the Beastclaw cannot withstand the cold of the Everwinter's full force. Anyone that is caught in the depths of the Everwinter will be frozen solid, unable to move but feeling all hunger. Strangely, this rarely kills the ogors - but they consider it a fate worse than death, growing ever more hungry yet unable to do anything about it. In some parts of the Mortal Realms, entire alfrostuns stand frozen in formation, unmoving for decades, even centuries. Anyone foolish enough to approach is likely to be frozen with them, but in some cases the presence of outsiders drives the ogors to break free, their strength invigorated by the appearance of fresh meat.

Your average alfrostun runs just on the front edge of the Everwinter storms, not far from disaster. This is because the Everwinter, while it is the threat that would end them, is the source of their magical power. The Huskard Torrs that serve as their spiritual leaders channel the icy magic to attack foes and conceal their forces in fog. Plus, they have grown skilled at using the Everwinter to devastate the enemies they face. Those who survive their axes and spears have only a brief chance to flee before the ice is upon them. Where the Gutbusters leave barren wastelands, the Beastclaws leave frozen landscapes full of savage winter monsters. The Gutbusters, of course, consider the Everwinter a curse on their rivals laid by Gorkamorka for failure to properly appease and worship him. Many Tyrants and Overtyrants openly mock the Beastclaws for being unable to serve their god correctly, and it's led to multiple ogor wars. This tends to go poorly for everyone involved - the Gutbusters have no special defense against the Everwinter, after all. Those warglutts that join Beastclaw Mawtribes often learn to respect its power and the importance of harnessing it as a weapon.

With the Necroquake, the Everwinter has grown even more erratic and difficult to predict. The magic mixed with the storm's own to produce even more intense magical weather that devastated large areas. Ice mixed with ethereal power, unleashing gheists with the power of frost and winter. Many Beastclaw hunting grounds were rendered barren and empty by the icy ghosts, forcing the ogors to new routes. The Bouldheads moved into the Grachwald Valleys of Ghur, where they have gone to war with the Allherd Greatfray, a mighty band of Beastmen. The Thunderbellies now vie for control of the Lodebridges of Ayadah against the Kharadron of Barak-Urbaz, and the Winterbite have been driven across the coasts of Shyish in search of food, leaving chilled bone and frozen ghosts in their wake. Several other Mawtribes were destroyed by the new storms, but others found themselves temporarily free of the Everwinter, able to settle in one place for a time. The Huskards know this is not going to last, though, and are preparing for the return of the storm. The Necroquake has also freed many frozen alfrostuns, releasing ogors long dormant. The Coast of Tusks has been besieged by newly free and starving Beastclaws, especially around Excelsis, where they have become nearly impossible to catch after they ate a shipment of prophetic glimmerings.

Alfrostuns are run by Frostlords, powerful chieftains who are second in rank only to the mighty Frost Kings that oversee entire Mawtribes. Frostlords rarely need to use violence to enforce their will, and are only challenged when someone thinks they can take over. They usually have three Huskard sub-chiefs that oversee the three main divisions of the tribe. The most prestigious runs the Jorlbad, or Fighting Hand. This group is made of the best warriors of the alfrostun and receives the largest share of meat after a raid. The Huskard is often the best warrior in the tribe short of the Frostlord.

Second is the Eurlbad, or Eating Hand. They are less prestigious but vital to the tribe's survival, as their job is to secure the area once the raiders have overrun any defenses, kill any remaining resistance and then harvest as much meat as possible. The Huskards of the Jorlbad and Eurlbad often end up swapping places frequently, as their tasks require similar skillsets and if one or the other proves more worthy, they'll be swapped to the more prestigious role. Jorlbad and Eurlbad forces both tend to be led by a Huskard on a Stonehorn mount, leading a small squad of other Stonehorn riders in an elite pack known as an Atta. Behind them are the Mournfang rider packs, each led by a sub-subchief known as a Skalg. The richer and more powerful the alfrostun, the more beast riders it's going to have.

The final third of the alfrostun is the Torrbad, led by a Huskard Torr who will maintain command until their death. The Huskard Torr is a shaman and spiritual leader, not just a warrior like the other Huskards, and their magical ties to the Everwinter make them a vital advisor to the Frostlord. The Huskard Torr leads the alfrostun's Thundertusks, who serve as the voice of winter, bringing frost to the enemy. They also draw in and command the Icefall Yhetees that often aid the ogors.

Outside the three groups are the Skal, the scouts of the tribe. They are primarily veteran hunters who range ahead of the group in order to find the best hunting grounds. They report directly to the Frostlord, though they are rarely given many orders, as their instinct typically serves them well enough. Most scouts are allowed to go where they like, and it tends to work out. Some alfrostuns forgo one or more of the traditional subgroups - the Thunderbellies, for example, are almost entirely Stonehorn riders, making use of them in the Sky Roads of Chamon, and the Winterbite often have extra semi-affiliated packs of Icebrow Hunters who aren't part of their Skal.

Next time: The Great Mawtribes

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 2, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
May wanna flip the second-to-last bracket there, Mors.

I know this is a really gross thought, but I can’t make it go away: do you think ogor poop is a good fertilizer? It must be jam-packed with nutrients from all the stuff they eat.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fixed, thanks.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
In addition to regular Mongol ogres (which rule), we now also have Cossak ogres (which also rule)

Lemme play one in Soulbound GW

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Falconier111 posted:

I know this is a really gross thought, but I can’t make it go away: do you think ogor poop is a good fertilizer? It must be jam-packed with nutrients from all the stuff they eat.

it's the only possible explanation for how they haven't eaten the universe already.

Much like the orks were designed by the old ones to be awesomely fighty and able to survive anywhere because they're fungus, the Ogors were designed to terraform

holy poo poo Ogors are basically worms from Dune

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Falconier111 posted:

Their digestion system can process rocks and metal and even nurglite whatsit, I'm not sure there are any nutrients left.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Falconier111 posted:

I'm certainly not going to get into "elf tentacle vaginas" levels of speculation on the biological properties of Ogor feces, but given that endless hunger is their whole thing, I'd have to imagine their bodies are highly efficient at stripping almost every nutrient from their food to fuel their ungodly metabolism, and thus that it would be pretty poor manure, in actuality.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Froghammer posted:

In addition to regular Mongol ogres (which rule), we now also have Cossak ogres (which also rule)

Lemme play one in Soulbound GW

We’ve been promised them in Champions of Destruction, which is coming out...uh, some time in the next year maybe.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Mors Rattus posted:

We’ve been promised them in Champions of Destruction, which is coming out...uh, some time in the next year maybe.
That'd be Orruks, Grots, Ogors, and possibly Troggoth? "You're the only non-evil member of a race that's usually pretty evil" is a heroic fantasy standard, so I'm interested to see how they handle it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Get soulbound to an ogre and you immediately gain weight, but OTOH you also stop caring about what the puny ones think is healthy weight.

I mean can Twiggy crush a rock in her mighty jaws and swallow a goblin whole? I didn't think so.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Froghammer posted:

That'd be Orruks, Grots, Ogors, and possibly Troggoth? "You're the only non-evil member of a race that's usually pretty evil" is a heroic fantasy standard, so I'm interested to see how they handle it

Yep, those are the four species mentioned. My guess is gnoblars count as grots if you want to play one, as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Froghammer posted:

Yep I was happy to hear that Troggs were confirmed.

Here are the blurbs on them.

C7 posted:

Champions of Death gives players the opportunity to play as undead characters, such as vampires, ghouls, wraiths, and wights. Characters play as servants of Nagash in his war against Sigmar, but the book also presents alternative options for playing as Soulbound — though those foolish enough to spurn the Undying King may face a fate far worse than undeath.

Champions of Death presents new Death Archetypes, such as the Abhorrant Ghoul of the Flesh-eater Courts, Necromancers in service of Nagash, the Knight of Shrouds of the Nighthaunts, and the Mortisan Boneshaper of the Ossiarch Bonereapers. The book also includes new Species, factions and subfactions, new Talents and Miracles, and new spells.

Champions of Death is expected to release in PDF in Q3 and will be in stores in Q4.

C7 posted:

Champions of Destruction lets players revel in the WAAAGH! and gives them the chance to play as Orruks, Grots, Ogors, and Troggoths! Brutally cunning groups can play as the stomping boot of the Great Green God Gorkamorka, while cunningly brutal groups may choose to play as Soulbound. As long as the heroes ‘fight good!’ its all that matters.

Champions of Destruction presents new Destruction Archetypes, such as the Fungoid Cave Shaman of the Gloomspite Gitz, an Orruk Brute of the Ironjawz, a Wurrgog Prophet of the Bonesplitterz, or a Firebelly of the Ogor Mawtribes. The book also includes new Species, factions and subfactions, new Talents and Miracles, and new spells.

Champions of Destruction is expected to release in PDF in Q3 and will be in stores in Q4.

For other Soulbound news. The Bestiary is apparently fully written, edited and reviewed. And is currently in Layout.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 2, 2021

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Entirely not a fan of the AoS ogre fluff. Never were, and the new developments don't change anything. And the attempt to reintegrate them into a single army seems very shoddy.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yep I was happy to hear that Troggs were confirmed.

Well, at least the devs are sane enough to understand that primary way to play Death or Destruction isn't Soulbound, so they'll probably have their own group dynamic mechanics (and Sigmarines are playing solo already). I forget, is there a non-Soulbound option in the main book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

Well, at least the devs are sane enough to understand that primary way to play Death or Destruction isn't Soulbound, so they'll probably have their own group dynamic mechanics (and Sigmarines are playing solo already). I forget, is there a non-Soulbound option in the main book?

Yeah there are options for playing non soulbound heroes.