Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

When I went to Elementary School in Illinois, a kid who had a problem with me ran me over with his bike. I had literal burn marks in my legs from his bike tires where he had run it against me repeatedly well I was trying to get away. When I complained, the principal's brilliant solution to the situation was to beat both of us with a cricket bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

When I went to Elementary School in Illinois, a kid who had a problem with me ran me over with his bike. I had literal burn marks in my legs from his bike tires where he had run it against me repeatedly well I was trying to get away. When I complained, the principal's brilliant solution to the situation was to beat both of us with a cricket bat.

Cool which subforum do they moderate now?

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Yup, my school didn't beat people because it wasn't run by cavemen but "fighting" was specifically against the rules so they could just punish both parties and not have to put in the effort to actually figure out who the aggressor was.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Fools Infinite posted:

In the nineties I briefly went to a private school in alabama for kindergarten where the teacher would hit us on the wrist with a ruler as a punishment. Every time she hit me, which was probably a dozen times, it was because she decided she could not adequately identify who was responsible for something and decided just to punish every person in the class. She also repeatedly threatened to have the whole class arrested and sent to jail.

All I can say is thank god we didn't stay in alabama for long.

yeah i got rulered too, only it happened in nyc. school abuse is everywhere

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Getting hit by a teacher in class is so hosed up to me that I couldn’t even imagine it happening as a kid. Even my parents considered it inconceivable.

as a teacher i can't fathom striking a child, biologically mine or not. like i can't even picture a context hwere that would seem like a reasonable solution to a problem that would come up in the classroom. even in the instances where i've had kids get in physical altercations it really doesn't seem like the solution is to add more flying hands.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
One time when I was a kid I found out you could fire peanuts out of their little shells by squeezing on one side and so I was doing that and getting em all over the floor and the teacher sent me to the principal and he spanked me for making more work for the janitor. But, like, the janitor should be sweeping that cafeteria floor anyway. It's no more work than he's usually doing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Push El Burrito posted:

One time when I was a kid I found out you could fire peanuts out of their little shells by squeezing on one side and so I was doing that and getting em all over the floor and the teacher sent me to the principal and he spanked me for making more work for the janitor. But, like, the janitor should be sweeping that cafeteria floor anyway. It's no more work than he's usually doing.

I tell people the same thing when I pull on all those food dispensers in the grocery store

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Corporal punishment for kids is absolutely a thing, and while it's not spoken about as much, and the rates are higher in some demographics, I'd absolutely say it's still present in the majority of US households, often the exact same ones that will decry it publicly. You don't hear kids getting told to go out and cut their own switch anymore, but spanking is still on the table for many parents.

Heck, while it was outlawed in schools, growing up in the 80s and early 90s, there were definitely Silent Generation teachers who would still bust it out, on occasion and the nuns at the local Catholic school definitely still had free reign with the ruler.

If you grew up not seeing or hearing about it, congratulations, but you'd have to have turned a pretty big blind eye not to hear about it where I was from (a WASPy suburb outside Baltimore).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Cool which subforum do they moderate now?

Fluffdaddy has moved on to much bigger things

In stale media news, I recently watched some old George Lopez stand up and a good half of it was about child abuse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that was half the jokes in his sitcom back in the day so checks out

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sweeperbravo posted:

as a teacher i can't fathom striking a child, biologically mine or not. like i can't even picture a context hwere that would seem like a reasonable solution to a problem that would come up in the classroom. even in the instances where i've had kids get in physical altercations it really doesn't seem like the solution is to add more flying hands.

mine used their words

it's been 15 years since i was in 10th grade geometry and i still remember him just saying that if you got a c or lower to not bother going to college

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The funniest and most shocking thing about South Park is that the one issue I am aware of the show comes down hard on one-way-or-the-other is pedophilia. The NAMBLA episode goes out of its way to condemn pedophilia.

It's hilarious and surprising in equal measure that being against pedophilia is the one and only firm political stance two guys who are otherwise like the platonic ideal of libertarians are willing to take.

A couple of pages back.

But when I first saw this episode I thought that NAMBLA was a thing that South Park made up to make fun of paedos. As in "wouldn't it be funny if a bunch of paedophiles made up an absurd organization in order to try and pretend that they have some respectability." But apparently it is a real thing, both online and in real life, and have legitimately tried to use their lobbying powers to change US laws.

Which is less funny, and more chillingly terrifying.

edit:

I'm impressed that an American school principal had a cricket bat.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Mar 2, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Toshimo posted:

Heck, while it was outlawed in schools, growing up in the 80s and early 90s, there were definitely Silent Generation teachers who would still bust it out, on occasion and the nuns at the local Catholic school definitely still had free reign with the ruler.

I had a coworker have a flashback on Halloween once because a different coworker dressed as a nun and apparently bore a striking resemblance to one of those nuns.

Dude seriously froze and had a thousand yard stare.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

When I started high school, I remember having to take a corporal punishment opt-in/out form home for my parents. They opted out because if anyone was going to beat my rear end for loving around, it was going to be them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Neito posted:

There are places in the US where school administrators are allowed to dole out spankings, sometimes with wooden paddles.

When I was in middle school (mid-70s), I had a shop teacher who would whip small pieces of wood at rowdy students. He would warn everyone by yelling, "If you're innocent, duck!"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BrigadierSensible posted:

But when I first saw this episode I thought that NAMBLA was a thing that South Park made up to make fun of paedos. As in "wouldn't it be funny if a bunch of paedophiles made up an absurd organization in order to try and pretend that they have some respectability." But apparently it is a real thing, both online and in real life, and have legitimately tried to use their lobbying powers to change US laws.

Which is less funny, and more chillingly terrifying.

I think a bunch of had the same reaction at first.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

There's an episode of Bar Rescue where Jon tries to save a comedy club. So he brings in a famous stand up comedian to give the owner tips on what makes a great comedy club. That comedian? Owen Benjamin.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

For reasons I can't possibly fathom, I just woke up from a nap with the theme to "It's Garry Shandling's Show" playing on a loop in my worm-addled brain. I haven't thought about that in decades.

Wondered "huh, what's he been doing recently?" Not much as apparently he died 5 years ago. So, uh, guess he hasn't aged well.

(Is that show still funny? I recall really enjoying it when it first aired when I was a teen.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Garry Shandling? I haven't thought about him in years either. Sad to hear he died.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

For reasons I can't possibly fathom, I just woke up from a nap with the theme to "It's Garry Shandling's Show" playing on a loop in my worm-addled brain. I haven't thought about that in decades.

Wondered "huh, what's he been doing recently?" Not much as apparently he died 5 years ago. So, uh, guess he hasn't aged well.

(Is that show still funny? I recall really enjoying it when it first aired when I was a teen.)

You actually saw him probably a bunch more recently - he was a Senator in a ton of MCU movies, culminating in being the secret "Hail Hydra" guy for awhile. He was pretty good in that role.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Arivia posted:

You actually saw him probably a bunch more recently - he was a Senator in a ton of MCU movies, culminating in being the secret "Hail Hydra" guy for awhile. He was pretty good in that role.

Funny how annoying a little prick can be, isn't it?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

grittyreboot posted:

There's an episode of Bar Rescue where Jon tries to save a comedy club. So he brings in a famous stand up comedian to give the owner tips on what makes a great comedy club. That comedian? Owen Benjamin.

There's also one where he invites his good friend Dave Portnoy to scope out a pizza place/bar.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BrigadierSensible posted:

I'm impressed that an American school principal had a cricket bat.

Yeah, I lived in Europe before moving to Illinois, so I had one which is why I recognized it. Why he had one I don't remember asking.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Yeah, I lived in Europe before moving to Illinois, so I had one which is why I recognized it. Why he had one I don't remember asking.

Easier to put some holes in and call it a day then to DIY a dedicated child-abuse paddle, I imagine.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Speaking of rapresentation of trans people in media and the effect it has on society at large, Lindsay Ellis literally just released a video about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHTMidTLO60

I love her and Contra's videos so much

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Arivia posted:

Just two MCU movies: Iron Man 2 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My family used to watch that show together every week growing up and I rewatched it about 10 years ago. It's ok, but Chris Elliot's Get A Life is essentially the same thing and holds up a bit better these days in my opinion.

The Larry Sanders Show would probably be the option if you wanted to scratch a Shandling itch.

Grease was discussed about 20 pages back and I'm surprised nobody mentioned the song "Let's do it for our country" from Grease 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJOTKR6LpYE

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That's because nobody watched Grease 2

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bobjr posted:

There's also one where he invites his good friend Dave Portnoy to scope out a pizza place/bar.

What's wrong with dave portnoy? Isn't that the guy from dream theater?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ilmucche posted:

What's wrong with dave portnoy? Isn't that the guy from dream theater?

That’s Mike Portnoy. Dave Portnoy is is the sleazy Barstool Sports guy

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
All of the nuns I had as teachers were pretty good and sweet but my mother has stories about a nun from when she was a child that was pretty horrendous.

I went to 13 years of Catholic school but never saw or heard of any corporal punishment from the teachers (and didn’t hear about much from the parents either but who wanted to talk about being spanked)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It seems really weird to me to send your kid to Catholic school after acknowledging and talking about how traumatized you were by it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

hallo spacedog posted:

It seems really weird to me to send your kid to Catholic school after acknowledging and talking about how traumatized you were by it.

Well, not all Catholic schools are the same, and us kids chose our high school. As for the trauma, it was mostly at the hands of one person who was long dead

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mister Kingdom posted:

When I was in middle school (mid-70s), I had a shop teacher who would whip small pieces of wood at rowdy students. He would warn everyone by yelling, "If you're innocent, duck!"

Small like eraser-sized, or small like baseball sized?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Len posted:

mine used their words

it's been 15 years since i was in 10th grade geometry and i still remember him just saying that if you got a c or lower to not bother going to college

One of my high school math teachers was a total dick. He was also the swim team coach and if you weren't one of his swimmers, he couldn't have cared less about you.

I took his trigonometry class and barely passed as math was never my strong suit. At the end of the year he came up to me in the hall and asked if I was planning to take calculus the following year. I said no and he got this stupid grin on his face, said, "Good!", and walked away. I just stood there like, :wtc:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bobjr posted:

That might be Mayor Portnoy soon.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Darkplace is, if anything, funnier now than it was at the time. Man to Man with Dean Learner is just as good as Darkplace.

Oh yeah, Darkplace is still good, but I'd just warn somebody when I recommend it that it's the kind of show where most of the characters are horrible people who do horrible things (cf. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia). It actually reminds me of the Russian literary concept of "poshlust" (in Nabokov's definition: "Corny trash, vulgar clichés, Philistinism in all its phases, imitations of imitations, bogus profundities, crude, moronic and dishonest pseudo-literature ...")

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The video in which Ricky gervais meets shandling is pretty painful to watch, and shandling comes across like a huge rear end in a top hat

But he did in a round about way give us the classic "revolution 2" by the butthole surfers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CHIMlord posted:

Oh yeah, Darkplace is still good, but I'd just warn somebody when I recommend it that it's the kind of show where most of the characters are horrible people who do horrible things (cf. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia). It actually reminds me of the Russian literary concept of "poshlust" (in Nabokov's definition: "Corny trash, vulgar clichés, Philistinism in all its phases, imitations of imitations, bogus profundities, crude, moronic and dishonest pseudo-literature ...")

The whole point iirc is that it's basically 'adapting' hilariously trashy genre fiction novels so a lot of the problematic stuff is kinda par for the course. With the 'Scotch' as the racial stereotype of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I'd say that Dark place is so very obviously satire that there isn't too much of a risk of it landing wrong, but I'm also aware I'm not really the butt of any of the jokes so may be wrong.

I loving love it, though. "A woman?!" Still pops into my head in a deep voice occasionally and it's been ages since Ive watched it