Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Having a Pokémon game take place in an earlier period of human history is a bit intriguing because so much of Pokémon's universe relies on futuristic/fantastic technology. It's really caught a lot of people's attention, including my own.

Judging by the clothing and the style of buildings, I assume that the game takes place at the same time as the Menji restoration period. Not quite feudal Japan as most people assume, but at the time when Japan was modernizing. Roughly 100 to 150 years before the events of Gen 1 takes place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

how can you transfer pokemon into a time before the pc existed, let alone digital pokemon storage and trading. theyve concocted the perfect lore reason to not support a majority of pokemon in the game

You're also not taking into account the obvious. How would you transfer the pokemon you caught in this game forward? I mean if in fact there are new/unique pokemon to be caught would they be permanently only usable in Legends? Seems...counterproductive.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i would simply use celebi the time pokemon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

oddium posted:

i would simply use celebi the time pokemon

Or Dialga. Hell the main pokemon of the game is God itself why would a little thing like time and space bother it? There you go problem solved.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Bill made a time machine in gen 2.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

OK, Sinnoh Dex Pokemon that probably didn't exist in the feudal era:
[*]Magmortar (probably no Magmarizer)
[*]Electivire (probably no Electirizer)

From your post to God's ears.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I finally got around to playing some Pokemon Sword after buying it, playing it for a few hours, then not playing it again for nearly a year. Havin' fun, got a team, just beat the fairy gym.

For making curry, do I mash hard to get the flame up, or am I supposed to pace it more?

Flopsy posted:

See....now I'm getting kinda angry because now I'm wondering if we'll be able to catch Darkrai and other mythicals in the game. And that's something that I wanted because I want to give them nicknames but the game itself is so goddamned ugly. Like if it had nothing I want I'd be cool with that but hinting there's cool poo poo here among the horrific graphics just pisses me off more. If I can transfer my mythicals to Sword successfully then nickname them I can feel safe giving this one a complete miss. But otherwise this makes me feel like I have to get this stupid loving game just access that. I hope it doesn't come to that.

From a few pages back, but wasn't D/P/Pt the era they started doing more involved stuff for event pokemon? I thought I recall Arceus having a unique (albeit short) area you fought them in. Feels like it'd be a real missed opportunity not to fold all those event stuff back into the games proper.

I still remember that really wild Arceus event from HG/SS.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I'm really interested in where the plot in Legends might go. We're playing settlers who are there to establish Sinnoh in roughly the late 1800s, but Cynthia's village is supposed to have existed since ancient times, no?

So will we eventually cross Mt. Coronet and discover a village of indigenous people? Does this make Cynthia and her village the poke-equivalent of the Ainu? Will there be conflict between the two groups or would that have too much real world baggage?

Also, that tweet on the previous page has a weird cloud formation at the top of the mountain that reminds me of the entrance to the distortion world from Platinum.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m also wondering if there are still trainers of some kind you can battle or if it’s mostly just wild Pokemon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I finally got around to playing some Pokemon Sword after buying it, playing it for a few hours, then not playing it again for nearly a year. Havin' fun, got a team, just beat the fairy gym.

For making curry, do I mash hard to get the flame up, or am I supposed to pace it more?

From a few pages back, but wasn't D/P/Pt the era they started doing more involved stuff for event pokemon? I thought I recall Arceus having a unique (albeit short) area you fought them in. Feels like it'd be a real missed opportunity not to fold all those event stuff back into the games proper.

I still remember that really wild Arceus event from HG/SS.

Mash as fast and hard as possible to get that flame up if you're by yourself. I recommend hitting the A and ZP buttons together. As for the events....yeahh....if the game looked like Legends I'd be super into it but the thought of these potentially gorgeous extra bits being acted out by gormless chibis in ugly backgrounds just....depresses me...a lot. After ORAS I used to dream of how good these would look with updated graphics. WELP RIP me I guess! I do not want to spend my money on this. I might bargain with another goon for a darkrai or a manaphy. Not that I don't have these guys it's just I'd like em' in fashion balls and nick namable. If I can nickname my darkrais in sword (which I'm not sure I can) then I'd be fine ignoring this particular release.

Sleeping Sigma posted:

I'm really interested in where the plot in Legends might go. We're playing settlers who are there to establish Sinnoh in roughly the late 1800s, but Cynthia's village is supposed to have existed since ancient times, no?

So will we eventually cross Mt. Coronet and discover a village of indigenous people? Does this make Cynthia and her village the poke-equivalent of the Ainu? Will there be conflict between the two groups or would that have too much real world baggage?

Also, that tweet on the previous page has a weird cloud formation at the top of the mountain that reminds me of the entrance to the distortion world from Platinum.

Yeah I'm starting to get into this one after the screen caps leaked. I also hear that there's a new mechanic which I'm genuinely excited for which is sketching out and drawing wild pokemon for the pokedex. Like you have a little art kit you use to sneak up on and draw pokemon in wild. That absolutely rules. Also apparently the trainer has a health bar and can get your own rear end kicked if you're not careful.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I recently started playing a Pokemon Omega Ruby mod. It sticks to vanilla as far as possible. But one of the big things it does is make all Pokemon available in the wild over the course of the regular game.

That means two things:
1. "Hidden" Pokemon that would appear only after you meet Groudon/Kyogre is now available right from the start (e.g., Gothita used to appear on Route 102 only after you meet Groudon; now it's available at Route 102 from the get-go).
2. Pokemon that don't appear in the game (i.e., need to be traded from other Gen VI games) can now be caught in the wild.

This really fixed what I felt was a fundamental problem of these games -- too few Pokemon are available at any one time, and many of the interesting ones are inaccessible or gated behind some bullshit barrier or appear too late.

At the first gym I'm rocking a Gothita, Chansey and Phantump squad :cool: Still getting my rear end kicked but at least it's with cool mons.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
no fear

"brilliant diamond and shining pearl's renditions of the incredible sinnoh music tracks will completely strip out the bass to be 'more orchestral', like every other video game remake soundtrack"

one fear

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

Also, psychic should actually be resistant to dark because dark is all about tricksy moves and fake-outs, but psychics should be able to see that poo poo coming.

dark types also utilize dark thoughts and emotions and it's painful for psychic types to try and read their thoughts or touch their minds to use powers on them

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

I’m also wondering if there are still trainers of some kind you can battle or if it’s mostly just wild Pokemon

i think there was some sort of promo that said trainers don't exist but if pokeballs are a thing i'm sure there are other people with pokemon

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Elfgames posted:

i think there was some sort of promo that said trainers don't exist but if pokeballs are a thing i'm sure there are other people with pokemon

Yeah that makes little sense. I know we're special as the player character, but "literally no one has Pokemon except for you" feels like a hell of a stretch.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Re: Matchup changes -
The ice vs water matchup seems weird to me. I feel like Ice should be more effective against water, not less. Ice freezes water, it could impede the movement of water pokemon or just outright freeeze them. At the least, I'd make water half effective against ice.
Fighting loses super effective against steel - being able to punch rocks is one thing, but punching metal? In turn, I'd make electric super effective against steel since it conducts and often represents robotic/electronic themed pokemon.
I feel like Poison could use another super effective matchup. Poison super effective against fighting? Fighting beats Dark cause it's like a hero beating the badguys. Poison beats fighting like the villain poisoning the hero's food/drink - it's the one way past their physical strength.

Vegetable posted:

I recently started playing a Pokemon Omega Ruby mod. It sticks to vanilla as far as possible. But one of the big things it does is make all Pokemon available in the wild over the course of the regular game.
This is along the lines of what I want from remakes. I feel like B2/W2 was around the point where they really started giving a lot of diversity on every route. I remember almost being overwhelmed by my options in the early routes of X/Y. Then you go to ORAS and it's a sea of fodder.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Elfgames posted:

I take that to mean that there wasn't a formalized culture of Pokemon battling yet. Poke Balls existed, but they were rare because they had to be hand-crafted from Apricorns. There were no Gyms and no itinerant Trainers who went around challenging them.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ungulateman posted:

no fear

"brilliant diamond and shining pearl's renditions of the incredible sinnoh music tracks will completely strip out the bass to be 'more orchestral', like every other video game remake soundtrack"

one fear

Bass Boost Marnie and Piers' themes by 13-15dB in Audacity and then listen to them with headphones

You can thank me later

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I take that to mean that there wasn't a formalized culture of Pokemon battling yet. Poke Balls existed, but they were rare because they had to be hand-crafted from Apricorns. There were no Gyms and no itinerant Trainers who went around challenging them.

Which makes me wonder if the game is actually going to have some kind of plot beyond constructing the world’s first Pokédex

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arcues is gonna hand you down commands and the game is gonna be very Christian.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Sleeping Sigma posted:

If this is really Pokemon: Breath of the Wild then we should be able to go to Distortion World and fight a level 100 Giratina with our level 5 starter right away.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What's grabbing me more is this shot from the trailer

The logo is in flags in the office in the background. Makes me think that, regardless of the setup, we are absolutely in a Professor Cyrus situation. Now, I think it's just a Cyrus Ancestor that happens to look exactly like him, but it is curious that it looks like the Feudal Galactic group is behind essentially establishing the whole region.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Galactic’s cover in DPPt is that they’re an energy company, so maybe that’s related?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
What I'm really curious about is how is that not just a modern day executive's office complete with electronic whiteboard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pretty sure that's just a painting that we can't see well due to light reflection. I don't know enough about feudal japan to know if the fancy office looks too fancy or not

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It's definitely got an aesthetic that you don't expect from most media depicting feudal Japan (not that I'm an expert). Course Pokemon world's always been ahead tech wise and these assets could totally change come release. Most you can take away for certain is that the guy giving you your starter works for the same company and has a bird.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
can't wait to mean ninja cynthia

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
                        I keep clicking and clicking but I never get my gay robot myspace
                        skin and buddy icons, what the hell? Goddamn you Game Freak!!!
                     /

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Watched someone stream some Pokémon unite on Twitch earlier. I dare say, it looks good and fun.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lol why is Pincurchin a thing? Seems like a totally unremarkable mono-electric that doesn't evolve and isn't cool or cute looking.

Also, TRs kind of bug me, at least in the sense that it feels like a few moves I remember being TMs are now TRs, (Earthquake, dazzling gleam) with what feels like weaker stuff (Stomping Tantrum, Draining Kiss) now taking the place in TMs.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Lol why is Pincurchin a thing? Seems like a totally unremarkable mono-electric that doesn't evolve and isn't cool or cute looking.

Also, TRs kind of bug me, at least in the sense that it feels like a few moves I remember being TMs are now TRs, (Earthquake, dazzling gleam) with what feels like weaker stuff (Stomping Tantrum, Draining Kiss) now taking the place in TMs.

Pincurchin is adorable and gets both Electric Surge and Rising Voltage, and a few other fun moves like Sucker Punch, so it hits deceptively hard and is slow enough to usually outpace common Trick Room sweepers under Trick Room.

As for TRs, I think that was the point, to make the stronger moves limited in some way and to have the infinite use TMs be generally weaker, niche options. There are still a ton of very useful TMs though, and some not so useful TRs. But I think it was an attempt at both balance and being able to have essentially 200 learnable moves in the game without a bunch of tutors.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think they created TRs as a reason to do raid battles even if you don’t want the Pokémon.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Plasbad posted:

Pincurchin is adorable and gets both Electric Surge and Rising Voltage, and a few other fun moves like Sucker Punch, so it hits deceptively hard and is slow enough to usually outpace common Trick Room sweepers under Trick Room.

As for TRs, I think that was the point, to make the stronger moves limited in some way and to have the infinite use TMs be generally weaker, niche options. There are still a ton of very useful TMs though, and some not so useful TRs. But I think it was an attempt at both balance and being able to have essentially 200 learnable moves in the game without a bunch of tutors.

Fair enough, happy to know Pincurchin has a strategic use.

And I do like TRs as a replacement to move tutors, but it does feel a bit funny that this stuff needs to be limited or inconvenient - I guess it's a means to make people engage with the raid battles and such?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
All I'm saying is that I was way more paranoid of using TRs than old-school TMs for some reason. Darn you Megalixir syndrome.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

All I'm saying is that I was way more paranoid of using TRs than old-school TMs for some reason. Darn you Megalixir syndrome.

At this point I've done so many raid battles I literally have hundreds of TRs each so I use em' like TMs anyway.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Greninja's reign is over. Long live the new king!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/02/the_pokemon_company_reveals_top_30_pocket_monsters_according_to_japanese_twitter_poll

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like counting Pikachu knockoffs separately is misleading

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I love Cinccino and Dedenne. I trained a Dedenne in X, only to learn that it doesn’t get access to any good special Fairy moves. An Electric Fairy type cannot learn Dazzling Gleam. Starmie and Gengar can learn Dazzling Gleam, but not Dedenne.

They did that cute little hamster dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Hah! They pulled a Gatekeeper with Dedenne!