Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Fighting Elegy posted:

I've been hate watching Good Girls. I only have a few more episodes and then I'll be free of this curse the show has left on me (at least until there's a fourth season).

This show isn't "so bad it's good", it's a car crash I can't look away from for some unknown reason. This is obviously attempting to be the female version of Breaking Bad, and to make it even more insulting it actually straight up plagiarizes Breaking Bad's dialogue just replacing meth stuff with money counterfeiting (lol). I guess they think they can get away with it because,as we all know, no women watch Breaking Bad, hence the need for a female version.

I really enjoy stories where characters find themselves over their heads in some criminal plot, but this show has zero logic and zero likable characters. I'll be watching the show feeling like I have to yell at the screen, imagining how scenes could have been changed slightly to make the show just a tiny bit more believable. The show meanwhile emphasizes that these women are good at their criminal enterprise, even though all we see is just them loving up everything but there being no consequences due to some deus ex machina. Good Girls was created by Jenna Bans, who was the head writer on Desperate Housewives (probably in my top 5 shows of all time) so I actually expected to like this show before I started watching it. Somehow this show manages to be less funny than Desperate Housewives, but also less subversive even though its trying very hard to be a "dark comedy".

Also, is Christina Hendricks actually good in other things or do people just like her because she has big boobs? I feel like it's the latter from watching this.

She was very good in Mad Men. But she's also notable for the boobs. I heard somewhere a few months back that boob jobs in the UK skyrocketed back when Mad Men was still on the air and one of the reasons was Christina Hendricks. Like....there was a survey.

Hughmoris posted:

Just finished up The Knick. Fantastic show, highly recommend to anyone.

I'd love to see a season 3 if they can keep the same writers and director.

VinylonUnderground posted:

I just want to thank the general gooncensus for the Knick. I 100% never would have watched it. Three episodes in with my spouse and we are loving it. Just a great show.

Bow taken.

And Soderbergh is back leading the way for the third season currently in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
After finishing up Avenue 5 and The Knick, I need a new show to binge.

How's The Sinner or Behind Her Eyes?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

The first season of The Sinner is really good. Later seasons are not as good, but not terrible.

Unlike Behind Her Eyes, which is terrible.

Also I feel like I'll be shot if I don't suggest you watch Jett. So watch Jett or Cactus will shoot me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Open Source Idiom posted:

The first season of The Sinner is really good. Later seasons are not as good, but not terrible.

Also I feel like I'll be shot if I don't suggest you watch Jett. So watch Jett or Cactus will shoot me.

Hmmmm. I've never heard of Jett but I do love me some Carla Gugino.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Just watched both recently as it happens. I thought they were both solid B-to-B+ material. I don't agree that Behind Her Eyes is terrible. But it's not a bog-standard crime drama like you might think at first.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Well I was looking for a new show to watch and I decided to finally check out Bojack Horseman. Just watched 9 episodes in one sitting, and I'd keep going if I didn't have work in the morning. It's good!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ShakeZula posted:

Well I was looking for a new show to watch and I decided to finally check out Bojack Horseman. Just watched 9 episodes in one sitting, and I'd keep going if I didn't have work in the morning. It's good!

9 eps in bojack is just getting started, you’re in for a hell of a ride

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Bojack Horseman gets loving wild in ways I’ve never encountered in other TV shows. Prepare for a lot of episodes that end with you sitting in stunned silence as the credits roll.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Actually the penalty for not recommending Jett is getting tied up and having your face pissed on. Just for the record.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

Most nerds are obsessed with her because she was on that fuckin Whedon show.

I felt it was more Super Troopers.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I was unaware she was in any of those things, I imagine the vast majority of people know her from Mad Men.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Spoilers for Person of Interest through the middle of season 3 (I think the last episode we watched was The Devil's Share - edit: this is not the episode I was complaining out, it is the one before The Devil's Share that made me so aggravated).

Well, the episode where Carter got did dirty was probably the worst episode of this show I've seen. Carter dying in a stupid, easily forseen way. Carter, Finch and Reese seeming to completely lose their brains not thinking "Hey Simmons is still out there maybe he'll go after Carter so she should be wearing a loving VEST?!" And the absolutely mind-bogglingly ridiculous tropey dumb out of nowhere decision to have Reese and Carter suddenly be romantically interested in one another. That came out of absolute nowhere. We had to pause the episode at that moment, we were so flabbergasted. If there were hints or foreshadowing, we completely missed them because there was NOTHING there, nothing at all, and the writers/producers/whomever figured the audience needed the two main characters to be in love in order to increase the pathos at the end? Absolute horseshit. I don't know the reason why Carter was killed/written off the show, but there were a million ways to do that (she put away HR and actually does get the job with the Feds!) that would have been more elegant and interesting than just getting shot out of nowhere.

It isn't going to stop me from watching the rest of the series, but that was a MAJOR low point for me. Good god. Ugh.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 1, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VinylonUnderground posted:

I felt it was more Super Troopers.

Is this some weird joke about her ex husband?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aardvark! posted:

I was unaware she was in any of those things, I imagine the vast majority of people know her from Mad Men.

I only know her as Chair :shrug:

(Another Period)

For some actual content, because of the UK thread I've watched Derry Girls (both seasons - series) I liked it. I liked it a lot. Usually I feel like UK sitcoms lean more into drama than comedy, but this is an outright comedy. I had a good time and I'm looking forward to season 3. It also led me down an hour wiki hole learning all about the Irish Troubles. The only thing I knew about the Troubles is that it made Liam Neeson a racist!

I really enjoy how almost every episode has a final image moment that has an emotional swing. I think all but 2 have a final image/scene that flips the emotion and it feels really good on my insides.

We (gf and I) started This Country after seeing Daisy May Cooper on Taskmaster. It's good, but a little slower than Derry Girls. One of those mix a little drama with comedy deals.

Oh and we also started The Magicians, but I'm not sure on that one. Some of the actors are not the best and the writing is a bit cheesy. I've seen it recommended a few times here, but I don't think I'm feeling it. We are only on episode 4 though so maybe we should stick with it? I'm almost hate watching it, but not quite there yet.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 2, 2021

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

Is this some weird joke about her ex husband?

Yes.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Hughmoris posted:

Just started up Mr. Mayor. Hopefully Ted Danson can work his magic.

Realize this is from a couple weeks back, but felt like I needed to say my SO and I are enjoying the heck out of this show.

Weaponized Autism posted:

I was also considering adding Justified as I've heard good things. How's the pacing on that show?

Definitely a recommendation from me. Seasons two and three are probably the strongest, at least in my opinion, but the entire series is solid.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lucas Archer posted:

It isn't going to stop me from watching the rest of the series, but that was a MAJOR low point for me. Good god. Ugh.

It was apparently an adlib that they decided to keep in.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

RestingB1tchFace posted:

And Soderbergh is back leading the way for the third season currently in development.

Wait there's going to be a third season of The Knick? That's fantastic news, and I didn't expect it at all. Particularly given the way it ended.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Fighting Elegy posted:

I've been hate watching Good Girls. I only have a few more episodes and then I'll be free of this curse the show has left on me (at least until there's a fourth season).

This show isn't "so bad it's good", it's a car crash I can't look away from for some unknown reason. This is obviously attempting to be the female version of Breaking Bad, and to make it even more insulting it actually straight up plagiarizes Breaking Bad's dialogue just replacing meth stuff with money counterfeiting (lol). I guess they think they can get away with it because,as we all know, no women watch Breaking Bad, hence the need for a female version.

I really enjoy stories where characters find themselves over their heads in some criminal plot, but this show has zero logic and zero likable characters. I'll be watching the show feeling like I have to yell at the screen, imagining how scenes could have been changed slightly to make the show just a tiny bit more believable. The show meanwhile emphasizes that these women are good at their criminal enterprise, even though all we see is just them loving up everything but there being no consequences due to some deus ex machina. Good Girls was created by Jenna Bans, who was the head writer on Desperate Housewives (probably in my top 5 shows of all time) so I actually expected to like this show before I started watching it. Somehow this show manages to be less funny than Desperate Housewives, but also less subversive even though its trying very hard to be a "dark comedy".

Also, is Christina Hendricks actually good in other things or do people just like her because she has big boobs? I feel like it's the latter from watching this.

I didn't hate Good Girls but it was definitely dumb as poo poo. There were points where Christina Hendricks was making some sort of speech and she'd say "I'm really good at this" and I'd just yell at the TV "NO YOU loving AREN'T" because the whole thing is just one hilariously amateurish fuckup after another. It's like Breaking Bad if Walter White never successfully made any meth but just kept blowing up houses in the attempt while insisting he was a genius.

I actually quite like the cast but jesus they deserved a better script.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ugh all done with fargo for a while. Season 3 dragged on, was boring a lot of the time, didn’t make sense other times, and man I just need a break. And that loving ending.

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 2, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

nwin posted:

Ugh all done with fargo for a while. Season 3 dragged on, was boring a lot of the time, didn’t make sense other times, and man I just need a break. And that loving ending.

Yeah this is the consensus.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Wait there's going to be a third season of The Knick? That's fantastic news, and I didn't expect it at all. Particularly given the way it ended.

Not confirmed, but there's been a lot of chatter. Maybe it'll just be a Hannibal Season 4 situation, where nothing actually happens, but who knows?

nwin posted:

Season 4 is worse.

I've seen a lot of defences of the show that amount to "a bad season of Fargo is still better than most other television", to which I shall rebut: lol, no.

I reckon Noah Hawley climbed up his own butt sometime around Legion Season 2 (does anyone remember that critics letter he sent out?) and I suspect he's choked to death up there.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

I reckon Noah Hawley climbed up his own butt sometime around Legion Season 2 (does anyone remember that critics letter he sent out?) and I suspect he's choked to death up there.

Legion season 1 is still one of my favorite seasons of television ever and I never finished the second season.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

showbiz_liz posted:

Legion season 1 is still one of my favorite seasons of television ever and I never finished the second season.

I didn't hate season 2 but it was definitely tough going at times. It's worth it sticking with it though because the climax of S2 is amazing and Season 3 is real good again

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

I didn't get far with that show because I can't stand extended dream sequences.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Oh and we also started The Magicians, but I'm not sure on that one. Some of the actors are not the best and the writing is a bit cheesy. I've seen it recommended a few times here, but I don't think I'm feeling it. We are only on episode 4 though so maybe we should stick with it? I'm almost hate watching it, but not quite there yet.

I may be the resident Magicians tankie, but I predict you will hate watch until you suddenly realize you love it. The early season and a half are almost directly cribbed from the book, which suffers from what I call the Quentin/Holden problem.

Basically Quentin is written as an audience surrogate specifically for the demographic that the author/show was aiming for. He's the bland, literal straight man who exists to have the world's rules explained to him and to have more interesting characters bounce off him from the periphery. That's fine and may even be kind of useful on a broad level eventually everyone gets hip to the new world and the boring guy is still there.

The show figures this out pretty early and in mid season 2 you can see the ship correct itself and move Quentin back into the ensemble and by the later half of season 3 "Quentin isn't the main character you loving idiots" is explicitly text.

It will always be cheesy though. (20 second clip late season 3. It doesn't really spoil anything other than the existence of a Maguffen and illustrates how far they get from angsty magic Melrose Place)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Legion seemed like it had a lot of potential but it never quite got anywhere with it. All the random monkeycheese stuff never had any clever payoffs, it was just there to be quirky. *Random cow appears*

Season 1 was fine, the others less so

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I wonder if it would hold up better binged. The highs were great but god drat those interludes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

An Ounce of Gold posted:

It maybe leans into its silliness a bit more but if you don't like it I wouldn't bother.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

nwin posted:

UO but despite all its flaws, Varga was easily my favourite villian

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Trig Discipline posted:

I didn't hate Good Girls but it was definitely dumb as poo poo. There were points where Christina Hendricks was making some sort of speech and she'd say "I'm really good at this" and I'd just yell at the TV "NO YOU loving AREN'T" because the whole thing is just one hilariously amateurish fuckup after another. It's like Breaking Bad if Walter White never successfully made any meth but just kept blowing up houses in the attempt while insisting he was a genius.

Your description of the show made me laugh so hard that I'm going to check it out just for fun.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Nundizo posted:

UO but despite all its flaws, Varga was easily my favourite villian

I couldn’t get past his bulimia. That and the mouth shots were too much.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I wonder if it would hold up better binged. The highs were great but god drat those interludes.

I'm not sure this is a solution to a show being protractedly boring and / or bad.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Wafflecopper posted:

I didn't hate season 2 but it was definitely tough going at times. It's worth it sticking with it though because the climax of S2 is amazing and Season 3 is real good again

Counter-argument: the end of S2 is complete garbage, as bad as the end of GoT, and the whole thing has its wheels come off during that last episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ishamael posted:

Counter-argument: the end of S2 is complete garbage, as bad as the end of GoT, and the whole thing has its wheels come off during that last episode.

I remember all the speculation at the time about the chapter that's missing from the end of that season, only for it never to be followed up on.

That finale has a great fight scene, and at some point Amber Midthunder became an actual actress, which is nice, but the entire show is such a mess.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

I remember all the speculation at the time about the chapter that's missing from the end of that season, only for it never to be followed up on.

That finale has a great fight scene, and at some point Amber Midthunder became an actual actress, which is nice, but the entire show is such a mess.

That fight was definitely cool, it is too bad the story went sideways so quickly and fell apart.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Anyone missing Cameron from Halt and Catch Fire should probably watch Startup, H&CFs older, edgier (not in the lame sense) sibling. Izzy is basically the same character only crazier.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
This is a long shot, but has anyone seen The Circuit? I’ve liked Aaron Pederson in most of the other things I’ve seen him in but the first episode of this didn’t really do it for me. Probably won’t continue but I know sometimes it takes an episode or two for a show to find it’s groove.

Also found Monday Monday which is an ok office sitcom and mainly fun for having a pre-Lucifer Tom Ellis.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I may be the resident Magicians tankie, but I predict you will hate watch until you suddenly realize you love it.

This was my experience.

Three episodes in to Bring It On, Ghost on netflix. Hell of a premise: Dude has massive sexual tension with his ghost roommate who helps him solve ghostcrimes along with a third-wheel slovenly monk wannabe. I'm curious to see whether this will take an awful turn or become transcendent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I finished Mindhunter and now want more Mindhunter but it looks like it’s indefinitely on hold :(

Started watching Hollywood on Netflix which is extremely ridiculous but I am here for it :colbert: