Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CubeTheory posted:

Serious seizure trigger warning on this video

woops, i didn't watch the whole thing, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rinkles posted:

Anime people have gotten really good at translating 2D designs into 3D

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Now I want to grab a copy of Eternal Champion for my PSP. It was a Sega exclusive as far as I know and it was my favorite fighting game of the time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I don't get it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

shut the gently caress up lmao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah I'll buy some of that, sure

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ah... I’ll buy it at a high price

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roblox gonna be big fuckin money when it IPOs

Rinkles posted:

I hadn't heard of this before. Sega's cancelled, leaked own take on Street Fighter II, Burning Fists

:siren: flashing stuff in video, seizure warning :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv2bvT2AWqM

Oh my god this is what they forced the cancelation of Eternal Champions 2 for?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hopefully they pay their dividends in robux

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder if this will make them focus harder on all of the fraudulent financial issues or if the issues will get even worse, idk what becoming publicly traded will do to them

e: by fraudulent financial issues I mean in regards to roblox providing absolutely barely any kind of protection for their userbase and the independent developers that use their system. Roblox barely lifts a finger to stop people from creating fake servers to impersonate popular games, then those impersonators get money from people who think they're buying stuff from the real games. Then people complain to Roblox and Roblox tells them to go talk to the support reps of whatever game they wanted to spend money on, except roblox support is the only level of support actually able to help anybody who was scammed this way and roblox makes money regardless of whether the robux are spent on real games or fake games so there isn't much incentive for them to fix any of these problems.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 2, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i think the old meme applies:

???
profit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Capitalism is a shell game.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Not enough Scarabs!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

rusty bucket bay is a cruel place but it also has one of the best themes

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know it's an anime but they, like put on theatrical productions without a director? Just expected to fend for themselves?

It's not as if the game gives one single poo poo about its theatrical setup, it just kind of happens in the background.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tbh I'm kinda disappointed, maybe this is for younger folks but I prefer a more rigorously-developed setting for my ladies in giant mechs stories

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Nintendo Game & Warch.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I did not understand the majority of the maths stuff, but I am terrifically impressed by those who do.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Wow I'm sort of surprised with how FF X starts, somehow I didn't realise how "modern" the world was in it. Only played a bit less than an hour but I'm into this intro so far :D

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bovis posted:

Wow I'm sort of surprised with how FF X starts, somehow I didn't realise how "modern" the world was in it. Only played a bit less than an hour but I'm into this intro so far :D

Yeah I think X is my favourite setting of the series, all things considered. Spira feels like a really rich place and a lot of the aesthetic choices are pretty out there (belts included).

It's also the only game in the whole series which strikes a balance between making the world feel like a huge empty map and XIII's approach of the boring featureless corridor. If you really boil it down X is one big long corridor too, but it never really feels that way because it's so much better paced and has actual towns and NPCs and things to see and do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It felt like a corridor the whole way to me. A friend of mine played through 3/4 of that game just waiting for it to open up, and then gave up in resignation when he finally realized it never would.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FFX got poo poo on huge at the time for taking away the world map. If only we knew how good we had it...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd say that FFX becoming a more linear and focused story freed up its creators to create a lived-in and believable setting instead of the often haphazard mishmash of fantasy tropes you see in a lot of earlier FF games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The individual zones are a lot more open than FFXIII, so it felt less like a hallway, even though it was just as linear

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exquisite tea posted:

I'd say that FFX becoming a more linear and focused story freed up its creators to create a lived-in and believable setting instead of the often haphazard mishmash of fantasy tropes you see in a lot of earlier FF games.

Definitely this. It's arguably the most cohesive FF world of the lot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

The individual zones are a lot more open than FFXIII, so it felt less like a hallway, even though it was just as linear

You also can go back to earlier places later and it has towns.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

what’s the deal with the ffx temples, why do we control Tidus when we do them instead of Yuna

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also why are they even puzzles, what summoner skill are they testing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barudak posted:

You also can go back to earlier places later and it has towns.

Palumpolum is very clearly a town this is FAKE NEWS

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Palumpolum gave us shirtless Snow, so at least it had that going for it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, FFX was definitely linear. Not a corridor, though - the individual zones were very explorable, full of little nooks, criss-crossing paths and dead ends. I think it hit the middle ground very well and I wouldn't have minded it if Final Fantasy games had stuck to that style.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

speaking of math I'm finally finishing my year-and-a-half-in-the-making competitive team in Pokemon Sword. I always get overwhelmed by all the things to keep track of even if competitive training is easier in Swoshi than it's ever been

I finished my shiny Umbreon about an hour after picking the game back up, and then my Gmax Centiskorch about a day later. sending Staryu out on Pokejobs for about another day and then they'll be done

wuggles fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 2, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've started up an OoT Randomizer seed. I'm making a terrible mistake :negative:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

golly that's a nice interface. pokemon interfaces started looking really good in the gba era i think, when the text boxes and stuff got really colorful and chunky and there was more skeumorphism in the menus. love how clean it's become while still being very inviting

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Also why are they even puzzles, what summoner skill are they testing

testing my drat patience, especially when i forget to get the thing in besaid for tidus' celestial weapon

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

wuggles posted:

speaking of math I'm finally finishing my year-and-a-half-in-the-making competitive team in Pokemon Sword. I always get overwhelmed by all the things to keep track of even if competitive training is easier in Swoshi than it's ever been

I finished my shiny Umbreon about an hour after picking the game back up, and then my Gmax Centiskorch about a day later. sending Staryu out on Pokejobs for about another day and then they'll be done

I don’t actually play competitive but I always thought Umbreon was usually specced as a wall and usually ran like three indirect moves and one offensive one so that Taunt doesn’t completely gently caress it up(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
of course ff10 is linear, they're on a literal pilgrimage. its linearity, and the specific point at which it stops being linear, are strong thematic elements of the narrative

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Warface is a straight laced counterstrike knockoff that fell off the back of a truck andI can't believe they still make these

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FFX also better contextualizes its environments in relation to the world it takes place in, so you don't necessarily mind the straight line, whereas a lot of the early FFXIII areas, where it makes its first impression, are pretty abstracted nondescript sci-fi environments that just feel like Video Game Level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Looper posted:

of course ff10 is linear, they're on a literal pilgrimage. its linearity, and the specific point at which it stops being linear, are strong thematic elements of the narrative
I don't think this is really a good argument here. You can have an open world even with a linear narrative and it's not like the game really stops you from pretty much going wherever and whenever you want. You want to go right back to Besaid shortly before walking into the final area of the game? Go right ahead.

It works for the game particularly because the plot is very clear about being all "okay, you did this, next stations is..." with the implication that your itinerary has been out long in advance. That doesn't mean the game world had to be designed to fit it.