Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If you want grimdark, hard Pokémon, just play Shin Megami Tensei. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zuzie posted:

I've said this before, but you cannot write a serious drama filled story when your main form of combat is getting squirrels to fight each other.

You 100% can. In fact, a lot of franchises make their bones playing a super serious melodramatic story 100% straight while still being about a goofy kids game.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Flopsy posted:

My dude I think you've had enough....it's okay to come back to Poke tent. We have exp.candy and nature mints.

Oh that's what that item is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silegna posted:

Lusamine in Sun and Moon had some very good points. "How is me freezing the pokemon for all eternity any different than them being stuck in a PC?"

She would've had more of a point in any other game, but sadly SM is the one that finally let your boxed mons actually do stuff too, and stuff that isn't literally slaving away at a job to get you money and items like SwSh did.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mimikyu deserves better.
:d2a:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean I've always figured it was like the anime showed and they chilled with the professor or whatever anyway.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Vegetable posted:

Shinies should really be more common or they're just wasting the time spent re-coloring those buggers. A bump from fuckin' 0.01% to 10% would allow everyone to have some shinies without making them too common. Though I'm of the opinion that they should be more like 25%.

to be fair, the base rate in SWSH is actually 0.00024%, so even your low estimate there would make them 40x as common :shobon:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Silegna posted:

Lusamine in Sun and Moon had some very good points. "How is me freezing the pokemon for all eternity any different than them being stuck in a PC?"

I felt so bad when Lillie tried to defend my decades of horrific crimes against pokemon.

Blaze Dragon posted:

She would've had more of a point in any other game, but sadly SM is the one that finally let your boxed mons actually do stuff too, and stuff that isn't literally slaving away at a job to get you money and items like SwSh did.

She was right on previous games' ccount and frankly, sending all the mons i didnt care for to break their backs in mines and beans plantations isnt much better.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Which is why in Sun and Moon you send them to a remote archipelago to live and chill and offer incentives to go and spelunking and farm and poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean I've always figured it was like the anime showed and they chilled with the professor or whatever anyway.
That sort of works until you start thinking about how that works when everyone is using the PC system.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

That sort of works until you start thinking about how that works when everyone is using the PC system.

Most people don't catch pokemon at volume like the psychopaths that are the main characters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

karmicknight posted:

Most people don't catch pokemon at volume like the psychopaths that are the main characters.

True, the average person you run into has like, a family pokemon, or a small team. But there's organizations that have a workforce of pokemon, gym leaders probably have more then 6, and there's plenty of trainer types through the games that almost certainly have more pokemon then they battle you with. (Bug Catchers and Maniacs for example?)

e: This is funny/neat:
https://twitter.com/Wunkolo/status/1366611659934949379?s=20

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 2, 2021

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

hi pokechat I have an umbreon wall with Dark Pulse/Assurance/Moonlight/Confuse Ray. Somehow I missed that he could get Toxic which is a slam dunk imo. Should I get rid of Assurance or Dark Pulse? lose Dark Pulse, right?

thanks pokechat

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Umbreon can't get Toxic in Sword/Shield.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Vandar posted:

well...poo poo

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

wuggles posted:

well...poo poo

Yeah. They took Toxic away from a ton of Pokemon, and while in most cases it's fine, taking it away from Umbreon was a huge mistake.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I never understood why almost every pokemon could learn toxic.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Rampant cheating in non-Galarian leagues, toxic for most pokemon is a surreptitious syringe full of dead poison taped to a limb like you were doctoring a baseball.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

If she knew the Poke Pelago existed she would also know her husband wasn't dead.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Thanks for the TemTem chat. I was thinking of getting it but figured I'd wait until it was in a Humble Monthly and now I'll probably not even play it then. Or maybe I will I guess it depends how starved for Pokemon I may be at that time.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

karmicknight posted:

Rampant cheating in non-Galarian leagues, toxic for most pokemon is a surreptitious syringe full of dead poison taped to a limb like you were doctoring a baseball.

poke-FIFA has rules against dosing

e: "except not," I say, buying an herb that changes my Pokemon's personality

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
There are a lot of international problems with the Galar regions allowed supplemental stacks. It's a big deal in communities that discuss doping.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

they learned it from their trainers

EY-YOOOOOOOOOO

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I was curious, so I counted it out, there are over 50 unskippable trainer battles before the first gym leader in TemTem, with about 15 different TemTem shown between them.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The problem with difficulty in Pokemon was never that there weren't enough trainers. In fact it's the opposite. There are too many swarms of trainers with like one Watchog each. The solution should be fewer trainers but with larger teams. It both lets them use tactics like entry hazards that aren't feasible when they only have one or two mons on their team, and it really helps the pace of the game when you're not being stopped by a trainer with a single Clefairy every 2 steps and have to sit through the battle start animations over and over and over.. Remember how annoying some of the late-game routes in RBY were?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

The problem with difficulty in Pokemon was never that there weren't enough trainers. In fact it's the opposite. There are too many swarms of trainers with like one Watchog each. The solution should be fewer trainers but with larger teams. It both lets them use tactics like entry hazards that aren't feasible when they only have one or two mons on their team, and it really helps the pace of the game when you're not being stopped by a trainer with a single Clefairy every 2 steps and have to sit through the battle start animations over and over and over.. Remember how annoying some of the late-game routes in RBY were?

I just want a difficulty curve as an option.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Flopsy posted:

I just want a difficulty curve as an option.

Easy as the current setting, Normal is what galagazombie describes, and on Hard the AI trainers have Battle Tower strats

That’s the dream

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

wuggles posted:

Easy as the current setting, Normal is what galagazombie describes, and on Hard the AI trainers have Battle Tower strats

That’s the dream

And on Confirmation Bias Hard, the game just blatantly defies probability, moves with <100% accuracy miss when you use them far more often that they should, and when the AI uses them, hit almost every time.

So how it currently works

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Are there any decent romhacks that do this?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Lorak posted:

And on Confirmation Bias Hard, the game just blatantly defies probability, moves with <100% accuracy miss when you use them far more often that they should, and when the AI uses them, hit almost every time.

So how it currently works

I was in the battle tower and someone ditto'd my Umbreon

I hurt myself in confusion 100% of the time, they did it 0% of the time

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Confirmation bias aside my run in with a Dusclops that had Double Team, Toxic, Confuse Ray, and Rest in I think Platinum's Battle Tower was the most unpleasant experience I have ever had in a video game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nth Doctor posted:

Mimikyu deserves better.
:d2a:

Reposting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vandar posted:

But...it sweats poison...

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

But...it sweats poison...

And crobat is a flying type that can't learn roost anymore, welcome to my special hell.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait is the problem those moves aren't TM/TRs anymore or did they alter movesets?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Wait is the problem those moves aren't TM/TRs anymore or did they alter movesets?

Toxic and Roost aren't TMs anymore, and I think they did alter some movesets, but I'm not certain.

I know a few moves got removed form Gen 8 that many Pokemon relied on like Signal Beam, Hidden Power and Return though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
But Signal Beam is like the standard SpAtk Bug move. That's like removing Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam! I'm all for reigning in the moveset inflation of the past few gens (Restrict access to Surf and Earthquake for instance), but that leaves Special Bug types with nothing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh God I completely forgot about the hatchet job on moves in Gen 8.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

From move pool to move puddle on a hot sidewalk in the middle of a Death Valley Summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

galagazombie posted:

But Signal Beam is like the standard SpAtk Bug move. That's like removing Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam! I'm all for reigning in the moveset inflation of the past few gens (Restrict access to Surf and Earthquake for instance), but that leaves Special Bug types with nothing.

They still have Bug Buzz, that's the bug attack on par with Flamethrower and Ice Beam. Signal Beam was mostly just used as coverage on a few mons, mostly electric types with anemic movepools.