Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Wanda's Seed and Feed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Elizabeth Warren is usually characterized as a bookishly fastidious intellectual surrounded by rash men who make stupid choices. So, it pretty much tracks that fans of Hermione Granger would be fans of Elizabeth Warren.

It definitely sucks that corporate-owned franchises have become this fence around people's engagement with media. Like, that Vision line is great, fine, a nice line of dialogue that speaks to the themes of the show. But loving WandaVision is someone's primary point of reference for media addressing grieving or loss in an impactful way? Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the greatest spy thriller, and Civil War is a brilliant character drama? They're fine, functional movies, but yeah...watch literally anything else and gain some perspective.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

With the Potter Heads it's not only that, they only seem to be able to understand politics by quoting Dumbledore or reducing political ideologies to Wizard Houses.

Again, this is a product of being very online (although I actually don't think I met any supporters of hers in the real world, so...) but I feel like every Elizabeth Warren supporter for some reason was super into Harry Potter.

It was Mayor Pete fans as well. they very vocally loved Harry Potter, leading to an amazing post mourning that we didn't have a president who 'learned to love from Snape'

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm glad twitter wasn't a thing when Lord of the Rings became a movie trilogy, because that would've been me gushing over the brilliant lines of my favorite franchise. However, they did lift several lines from the books, so my opinion has more legitimacy :smaug:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Civil War being held up as anything other than action figures banging together is hilarious. Winter Solider being heralded as a "Spy Thriller" is doubly funny as stuff like Atomic Blonde or Spy are actually spy thrillers and actually more accessible as there's less homework required.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Atomic Blond is a fantastic little gem of a movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah it rocks. John Wick with a plot and sex is a good combination.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Film twitter is filled with snobbish jerks but them poking fun of people who use summer popcorn films as their frame of reference and go to for just about everything is good. Branch out in different films for goodness sake, if not other types of media.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Years and years ago, I was in a discussion with someone who was livid at the fact that James Bond films nowadays were just copying other things. Others pointed out that it's ever been thus, with License to Kill very clearly a Miami Vice riff, Moonraker being Star Wars, Live and Let Die being Blaxploitation and so on. The discussion kind of degenerated from there, and it ended up with him saying 'well, Live and Let Die is just a better Blaxploitation film than those others'

That energy, where your preferred brand of pulp is not merely pulp, but actually a terrific example of whatever high or low art anyone else likes, that's the energy I see now in that sort of conversation. I can imagine that guy trying to argue that The Spy who Loved me is actually one of the best romance films of the era.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

The greatest legacy of the Ant Man films is Gregg Turkington and Tim Heidecker getting bit parts in them solely to fuel a rivalry between them in On Cinema.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

It was Mayor Pete fans as well. they very vocally loved Harry Potter, leading to an amazing post mourning that we didn't have a president who 'learned to love from Snape'

I'm more surprised and concerned there's a significant amount of Mayor Pete fans under 60.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Netflix and Amazon again reminding people there are comics other than Marvel and DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09wRcI48110

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLcLr8swqpY

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Chairman Capone posted:

With the Potter Heads it's not only that, they only seem to be able to understand politics by quoting Dumbledore or reducing political ideologies to Wizard Houses.

Again, this is a product of being very online (although I actually don't think I met any supporters of hers in the real world, so...) but I feel like every Elizabeth Warren supporter for some reason was super into Harry Potter.

Most of the Harry Potter fans I know of like the books in spite of Rowling being awful, and disagree with her politics but have found things in the book that they personally found moving. It's generally a healthy thing to be able to separate the writer from the work in your mind.

At the time the books seemed mostly fine, it's only all the post book stuff (and the epilogue to be fair) that show that no, Rowling was actually qutie nutty.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
"They want to be slaves and love being slaves and trying to help them not be slaves or improve their conditons is silly and weird" was always sketchy, not just in the terms of slavery but in terms of the old British servant class

Also Snape is a big weird creep who is somehow good because he just wanted to murder the husband and child of the woman he loved so he could take their place, this is what true love is

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 2, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Piell posted:

"They want to be slaves and love being slaves and trying to help them not be slaves or improve their conditons is silly and weird" was always sketchy, not just in the terms of slavery but in terms of the old British servant class

Also Snape is a big weird creep who is somehow good because he just wanted to murder the husband and child of the woman he loved so he could take their place, this is what true love is

It's good as long as Alan Rickman does it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Piell posted:

TBF, I don't think Hermione ever truly believed that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

also in retrospect the goblin bankers should've been a bit of a giveaway

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, in hindsight there's a lot of parts of the book that have new context. But at the time for many children it was just fun fantasy escapism.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

TBF, I don't think Hermione ever truly believed that.

Neither did Dobby, who does work at Hogwarts, but specifically appreciates having been freed and is asking for pay if I remember.

To relate this back to actual MCU, I guess Ultron and Vision being specifically born from Jarvis, who is arguably created to be a slave makes them kind of like freed house elves.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Lord_Magmar posted:

Neither did Dobby, who does work at Hogwarts, but specifically appreciates having been freed and is asking for pay if I remember.

There's definitely a running theme of the British mid-to-upper class believing horrible things about their "lessers" unquestioningly. Whether or not that was intentional is another question altogether. On the one hand, Hermione. On the other hand, J.K. Rowling.

(I always like to point out that Doyle's Holmes stories are never about solving mysteries but gleeful racist scandal-mongering...)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking on WandaVision again, it's funny to see so many Marvel fans now defending it for being so "revolutionary" and amazing, because the only parts of it that are actually unique to any degree were the sitcom parodies, and only a few weeks ago when the show started the very same MCU fans were all talking about how bad that was and they hated them and were only saved from bailing on the show by the rapid injection of standard MCU bullshit. So even the show they're praising for being so revolutionary and outside the MCU box... those are the precise parts they hated when they aired!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Grendels Dad posted:

It's good as long as Alan Rickman does it.

It's a young adult novel, so some of the ages are kind of hilarious. Snape was 38 when he died at the end of the books. He was made House Leader of Slytherin when he was like 21. Most of his edgelord poo poo happened when he was 16 to around 18. Harry's parents were dead at 21. But to a 10 year old or whatever, they are all ancient. When Harry meets Snape, Snape is.....30?

But he's played by loving Alan Rickman, who is 55 in the first movie. And that's true of basically all the non-child characters, who get like a decade or two added to their actors across the board.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The MSJ posted:

Netflix and Amazon again reminding people there are comics other than Marvel and DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09wRcI48110

Wish this was Incursion instead, but DeKnight has so much goodwill with me from Spartacus. I know nothing of Jupiter's Legacy though. Is it a good comic to mine a live-action property from?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

Wish this was Incursion instead, but DeKnight has so much goodwill with me from Spartacus. I know nothing of Jupiter's Legacy though. Is it a good comic to mine a live-action property from?

Writer: Mark Millar

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

....ohhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooo...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't know, I feel like Millar actually is a good example of a guy who writes terrible comics which can then be selectively mined for elements to turn into good movies, at least depending on the people making them. Kingsman, Logan, Kick-rear end.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

teagone posted:

The high concept is "what if the Golden Age Justice League got old and had rebellious 20-something kids who inherited their powers?" There's definitely room for mining.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jedit posted:

The high concept is "what if the Golden Age Justice League got old and had rebellious 20-something kids who inherited their powers?" There's definitely room for mining.

Hmm, ok. That sounds interesting.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Could be good. Is it raunchy like The Boys? I could see Amazon wanting their own pot of gold. Umbrella Academy didn't exactly light the world on fire like that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know, I feel like Millar actually is a good example of a guy who writes terrible comics which can then be selectively mined for elements to turn into good movies, at least depending on the people making them. Kingsman, Logan, Kick-rear end.

Glad you said Logan, because I truly hated the other two. And Wanted, as that goes. I guess I liked Red Son well enough as a comic, but Mark Millar generally is some edgelord poo poo that I can't deal with, and the adaptations haven't alleviated that feeling for me. I'll wait for people's thoughts on Jupiter's Legacy, I guess.

Piell posted:

"They want to be slaves and love being slaves and trying to help them not be slaves or improve their conditions is silly and weird" was always sketchy, not just in the terms of slavery but in terms of the old British servant class

Yeah, I like Harry Potter as a fantasy setting and all, but 1) they're not particularly well-written books, and 2) this weird bullshit is all over them. Hermione being the only one who gives a poo poo about elf slavery and all her pureblood wizard friends treating her like she wants a safe space for triggered vegans was ridiculous in 2000 and looks even worse now. And the gymnastics behind the primary evil of the setting being racism and fascism, while wizards are glorified for being elite separatists with a rigid caste system, is one of the more British things to ever happen.

And gently caress Snape. He's an abusive rear end in a top hat who holds grudges against children, who became a neo-Nazi when his middle school crush rejected him for some Chad, and promised to honor her memory by being intensely cruel to her orphaned son with the caveat that he wouldn't let him literally die. I'd definitely name my son after that guy.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking on WandaVision again, it's funny to see so many Marvel fans now defending it for being so "revolutionary" and amazing, because the only parts of it that are actually unique to any degree were the sitcom parodies, and only a few weeks ago when the show started the very same MCU fans were all talking about how bad that was and they hated them and were only saved from bailing on the show by the rapid injection of standard MCU bullshit. So even the show they're praising for being so revolutionary and outside the MCU box... those are the precise parts they hated when they aired!

Filming a Marvel property to look like a TV show isn’t even that revolutionary, just look at The Avengers.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Actual TV show Agents of SHIELD routinely looked better than The Avengers. Ugh.

Being trapped in a colorless abstraction of the idealized 1950's isn't novel, Pleasantville did it in the 90's, even with the selectively colorful objects. Sitcom tropes becoming a surreal and horrifying cage for its characters isn't novel, it's the central premise of the virally famous Too Many Cooks. A deconstructed superhero narrative about a character who can warp reality, but who struggles against complex delusions isn't novel, Legion did it 4 years ago.

WandaVision is interesting in how it arranges these moving parts, but it's not "revolutionary."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

WandaVision is an entertaining mix of Pleasantville and Annihilation, with a few unfortunate bouts of Age of Ultron, and that's pretty good for a TV show. The cast helps.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Kodiak posted:

WandaVision is an entertaining mix of Pleasantville and Annihilation, with a few unfortunate bouts of Age of Ultron, and that's pretty good for a TV show. The cast helps.
It helps with WV that the first 2-3 episodes are just jaunts in Nick-At-Nite Land with some *spoopy mystery box* stuff thrown in.

Vintersorg posted:

Could be good. Is it raunchy like The Boys? .
Not really. It's a fun mix of "Real Life Superhero/Heroe's Burden" with "Golden Age Nonsense" as a backbone.

It's stuff like SPOILERS::
last chance. Imagine Boomer-rear end Justice League with some Kingdom Come-style vapid kids. Add in some conflict between "We can help humanity by aiding them with forces beyond their control but no further" and "we have a responsibility to guide humanity into a golden age with our direct intervention".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

The only good thing about it were how hilariously ineffective the fights were. Just a bunch of people (heroes) jumping a villain and the fight looking like a schoolyard rumble.

It was so boring I quit after the first issue.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I've been enjoying it, but there's always a low-key buzz in the back of my head that's like "the MCU has had Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen for 5+ years and just now let them do stuff."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shageletic posted:

The only good thing about it were how hilariously ineffective the fights were. Just a bunch of people (heroes) jumping a villain and the fight looking like a schoolyard rumble.

It was so boring I quit after the first issue.
The Boys was terrible edgelord poo poo but the adaptation did a lot of work making it palatable

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The United States posted:

The Boys was terrible edgelord poo poo but the adaptation did a lot of work making it palatable

Yeaaaah I went to go try and read The Boys after loving the show, and drat, it was... it wasn't good.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mat Cauthon posted:

I really liked Star Trek 09, found Into Darkness to be an entertaining misfire and thought Beyond was fun but you could sand the IP off it and the movie would still work so I can see why people who are more invested in ST stuff would be put off by it (and the general arc of the NuTrek stuff).

The cast was great though, I wouldn't mind a couple more outings with them but it seems like most if not all of them have moved on.

Star Trek: Beyond is mildly fascinating to me because of what they did with the Jaylah character. Star Trek: Beyond was released in the US on July, 22, 2016. Anton Yelchin (Chekov) died, in a stupid, horrible accident in which his vehicle rolled into and crushed him on June 19, 2016 at which point the movie had long since been filmed, edited and in the can.

And yet, within the movie, the Jaylah character ends up going through an arc that leaves her almost perfectly set up to become Chekov's replacement. So much so that I've occasionally wondered if the studio was planning to replace Yelchin in the series for some reason. As far as I know, they weren't, which makes the whole bit just kind of deeply strange.

The United States posted:

A lot of it was. On the other hand, I keep a dark, warm spot in my heart for Ennis's take on "What if 9-11 Happened in the Superhero World?"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeaaaah I went to go try and read The Boys after loving the show, and drat, it was... it wasn't good.

There are good ideas scattered here and there, buried under an avalanche of edgelord poo poo and bad dick jokes. It's also just way too loving long. The last few issues or trades just drag on for loving ever.

It's not without its great scenes, though. The scene towards the end where the personification of the corporation mocks homelander for having no imagination, for doing what any human would have done given the power is one of the best rebuttals of the 'wouldn't it be interesting if superman was evil?' idea that I've seen. As was Mother's Milk talking about the brooklyn bridge. It's just such a sweet, mundane scene. Ennis badly needs an editor to keep him focused, but when he's good, he reminds me of Peckinpah a little, having the ability to contrast absolute trashy stuff with true sincerity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xealot posted:

Elizabeth Warren is usually characterized as a bookishly fastidious intellectual surrounded by rash men who make stupid choices. So, it pretty much tracks that fans of Hermione Granger would be fans of Elizabeth Warren.

It definitely sucks that corporate-owned franchises have become this fence around people's engagement with media. Like, that Vision line is great, fine, a nice line of dialogue that speaks to the themes of the show. But loving WandaVision is someone's primary point of reference for media addressing grieving or loss in an impactful way? Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the greatest spy thriller, and Civil War is a brilliant character drama? They're fine, functional movies, but yeah...watch literally anything else and gain some perspective.

I don't really think that is anything new. Shared cultural experiences have a weight to them that can make it easier for them to impact someone's emotions or have a strong impact on them. It's true for most of recorded history and in many of those cases it has been done for either power or profit. That doesn't mean everything is of equal quality but it also means that 'lesser' films can feel more significant to someone. Especially because we as a culture tend to focus on the newer stuff either because it's newer or because it feels more relevant.

I will argue up and down that Catch-22 and The Great Gatsby are stories that are, if not timeless, at least going to be relevant for the rest of our lives, but I also can't demand that someone have the same emotional resonance with them and trying to demand someone does just because they are classic books will just make them resent them. This is a serious problem with teaching students about classic lit because "you must read this thing because we demand it" is like the best way in the world to make someone not enjoy it and reject it as having value. Sometimes people just can't connect with something and no amount of discussing its value will change their mind. The same goes for things which people emotionally connect to that are pretty poo poo.

There's also the fact that the cycle of "this (x) that I discovered is the coolest best thing ever" is super common, especially with younger people. Even if something is cribbling hard off something that already existed the way it is presented can make it feel fresh or unique. And it doesn't really change anyone's mind to go "Well, uh, *actually* this did it first" because except in precious few cases the thing that 'did it first' didn't actually do it first. There are tons of experiences that people have which are in no way unique but are important to them because it was the first they experienced.

I would hope it makes people look at other stuff that does the same thing but if it doesn't that's sadly not very unique. Lord knows there are even plenty of huge film buffs with huge gaping holes in their knowledge due to bias against certain things like foreign films or animated films or any indie films that don't have the pre-approved Seal Of Relevance.