Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

It would be fool to deny Buff is the Stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Royal Updog posted:

It would be fool to deny Buff is the Stuff

Turns out he's The Stuff from the Larry Cohen film. White, and getting all over your furniture

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I used to call him Butt Bagpipes.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Why is Riho bad if she makes money? Like isn't that the whole point?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Why is Riho bad if she makes money? Like isn't that the whole point?

Because she’s making it the wrong way!

She needs to slow down by about 70% and put on about 150lbs of beer gut to pass the Cornette test.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

History Comes Inside! posted:

She needs to slow down by about 70% and put on about 150lbs of beer gut to pass the Cornette test.

Or time travel back to the late 1970s/early 80s since Corny refuses to ever criticize wrestling from that era.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

She also needs to become white since the only female wrestler in AEW Cornette praises is Britt for some reason I can't quite pin down.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cornette is a guy who lived through a boom period of an industry and now is irrationally convinced that the way they did it back then is the only way that could possibly work, despite demonstrably not getting any of how what they did successfully since all of his own attempts at replicating said golden era have failed miserably.

So becoming a bargain bin shock jock was the only career move left, really.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

CombineThresher posted:

Or time travel back to the late 1970s/early 80s since Corny refuses to ever criticize wrestling from that era.

more wrestlers should have access to a time machine tbh.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Some things do get dropped or shift on a dime in AEW and it's something Tony still needs to work on.

That said...

It's important to understand that when Jim talks about the failure in "building a roster," he's seemingly referring to how they didn't try to buy out contracts from other promotions (outside of whatever the MJF situation was, I guess?) and get the Briscoes, Jacob Fatu, Alexander Hammerstone, and his other favorites from other non-WWE promotions who he feels look more like "grown adult males." He never bothered to explain why he thought any of the other promotions would take said buyouts.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I feel like, if you're trying to name some respectable, big and muscular, non-mudshow wrestlers and the name that comes to mind is Mark Briscoe, you're kind of giving away the game.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Explosions posted:

I feel like, if you're trying to name some respectable, big and muscular, non-mudshow wrestlers and the name that comes to mind is Mark Briscoe, you're kind of giving away the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UECSMss5m4g

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aren't the Briscoes a pair of massively homophobic shits?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Vagabundo posted:

yes

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

pretty sure mark never said anything homophobic

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vagabundo posted:

Probably. Jay definitely is, Mark is, somehow, smart enough to keep that poo poo to himself.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

forkboy84 posted:

Probably. Jay definitely is, Mark is, somehow, smart enough to keep that poo poo to himself.

hes cool calm and collected like 007

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Royal Updog posted:

Call him Vic Venom

You want the dirt? Guess who's got the shovel..
*Generic hard rock riff*

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

Cornette is a guy who lived through a boom period of an industry and now is irrationally convinced that the way they did it back then is the only way that could possibly work, despite demonstrably not getting any of how what they did successfully since all of his own attempts at replicating said golden era have failed miserably.

So becoming a bargain bin shock jock was the only career move left, really.

He also ran a wrestling promotion into the ground and now claims he didn't and has been fired by many promotions. I still think it's the shock jock thing because no one cares about everything else he says and AEW never offered him a job.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s funny that a bunch of old timers Cornette idolises are working for AEW and seemingly having a great time while Cornette sits in his house alone and rants into his computer at the only person stupid enough to tolerate him about how AEW is bad.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

He doesn’t talk about other promotions does he? Or do we only see the AEW dislike here?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TV Zombie posted:

He doesn’t talk about other promotions does he? Or do we only see the AEW dislike here?

Other promotions don't get sweet sweet chud clicks

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What did he hate before AEW existed?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Seams posted:

It’s funny that a bunch of old timers Cornette idolises are working for AEW and seemingly having a great time while Cornette sits in his house alone and rants into his computer at the only person stupid enough to tolerate him about how AEW is bad.

I'm sure in his twisted mind, he must think guys like Tully and Arn are just working Tony K, and are only pretending to enjoy it to get some of that sweet, sweet money

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega.

And Muslims.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

he hated ROH and PWG

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Lid posted:

Can you guess who Cornette says was the Best Booker of 2020?

youtube vid turns black and white, slowed-down autotune voice: V I N C E R U S S O

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ItohRespectArmy posted:

he hated ROH and PWG

And WWE! He used to bitch about their terrible booking all the time.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Royal Updog posted:

Call him Vic Venom

Dick Denim

edit: Never mind, Corncob will co-opt this for Orange Cassidy.

bartok
May 10, 2006

What are some of the best matches under five minutes not including entrances? All I can think of is Owen Hart vs The 1-2-3 Kid at the 1994 King of the Ring.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I can think of a couple, but I dunno what they have to do with this thread unless you mean Jim Cornette vs his remaining brain cells once it became apparent that AEW was actually going to be successful.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Now I wanna know what Cornette thought of Brodie Lee demolishing Cody. Surely he liked that?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Davros1 posted:

I'm sure in his twisted mind, he must think guys like Tully and Arn are just working Tony K, and are only pretending to enjoy it to get some of that sweet, sweet money

That's exactly it.

He also thinks Big Show got a call from Jericho telling him to jump over and fleece the money mark for all he's worth.

Now I wanna know what Cornette thought of Brodie Lee demolishing Cody. Surely he liked that?

I listened to the first minute of this. He hated it and thought 'Boring Brodie' was never going to get over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFdmcP4GxIY

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seams posted:

This might be the most damning thing ever said about Brian Last.

Related to Cornette running his own promotion into the ground, didn't he basically kill a lot of the towns SMW ran with his own not super good booking?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dawgstar posted:

This might be the most damning thing ever said about Brian Last.

Related to Cornette running his own promotion into the ground, didn't he basically kill a lot of the towns SMW ran with his own not super good booking?

A lot of those towns were basically dead already since business genius Cornette decided to run shows in extremely rural markets where no one lived/had any money. Consequently he couldn't afford to keep anyone besides Memphis guys who would work for peanuts and none of them had top-guy charisma.

Vandar posted:

I listened to the first minute of this. He hated it and thought 'Boring Brodie' was never going to get over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFdmcP4GxIY

This is by far his weirdest gripe since Brodie was everything Cornette claims to want in a pro wrestler.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
before even seeing Brodie wrestle he decided he hated him because: he was in the Dark Order, people told him he used to wrestle in Chikara and CZW, and he learned he was friends with someone backstage at AEW who was in turn friends with Dave.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

He was also weirdly annoyed that Brodie took him name from Mallrats and not Bruiser Brody.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

The original idea with SMW was not that he'd just run east Tennessee and eastern Kentucky (with the idea being that they were starved for wrestling after Continental shut down in 1989 and had been some of the bright spots for WCW both money and heat-wise). The ORIGINAL plan was that it would also include a bunch of older mid-level Crockett towns like Roanoke, Asheville, and Charleston...but paying for time in those markets was too expensive to make the plan work. He and Rick Rubin probably should have probably just decided it wasn't worth it when it became clear that there would only be 2 "big" monthly towns.

As for the booking, there were a few specific mishaps that really got SMW spiraling. Not delivering on the advertised stipulations for the Ricky Morton vs Chris Candido hair match (Ricky's hair vs. Tammy's hair) was a big one, as was everything with The Gangstas.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

A big thing with SMW's territory is that many people here still think wrestling is real. I know a lot of you won't believe me but I live here and go to local shows here and the crowd is insane and not really in a fun way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mob posted:

A big thing with SMW's territory is that many people here still think wrestling is real. I know a lot of you won't believe me but I live here and go to local shows here and the crowd is insane and not really in a fun way.

I've encountered the odd weirdo who still believes at indie shows here in Minneapolis and it's always very uncomfortable.