Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Keto is a sort of automatic calorie restriction because your body starts being like oh hell naw trying to get above 1500cal with 5-20 grams of carbs. Dehumanize yourself and face to meat and cauliflower.

But yeah most people just want a rule of thumb that's easier than measuring every meal by weight vs nutrition facts and keto gives that by letting you focus on one line in the nutrition facts that will lead you to the absolutely most filling foodstuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

Keto is a sort of automatic calorie restriction because your body starts being like oh hell naw trying to get above 1500cal with 5-20 grams of carbs. Dehumanize yourself and face to meat and cauliflower.

But yeah most people just want a rule of thumb that's easier than measuring every meal by weight vs nutrition facts and keto gives that by letting you focus on one line in the nutrition facts that will lead you to the absolutely most filling foodstuffs.

ONE of the main differences being that if you gently caress up a day of calorie reduction, eh, one day of calories is a minor setback but nbd

If you gently caress up doing keto and get dumped out of ketosis you just threw your whole metabolism into shitfits for at least a week

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Just do the standard, hospital issue diabetic type 2 diet. It's restrictive as gently caress on calories and carbs but it's easy to follow.

I have to follow a type 1 diabetic diet/pancreatic failure diet now and I'm sad and angry about it and I want a drink. loving choosing to go without real sugar like this is absolute bananas to me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

ONE of the main differences being that if you gently caress up a day of calorie reduction, eh, one day of calories is a minor setback but nbd

If you gently caress up doing keto and get dumped out of ketosis you just threw your whole metabolism into shitfits for at least a week

People doing keto be like "Oh I'll just have a cheat day, ohh I'm sooo baaad" *eats a cake*

see also, people who think avoiding gluten is some sort of general good health thing and not a means of basic survival for people with a debilitating disease

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really do think the main reason diets fail is because most "diet food" just sucks rear end, and after a couple weeks the call of the Cheeseburger gets too strong. Week 3 of eating foods that are "weird" to you and all you want is the same poo poo you're used to eating. I've seen it my entire life when it comes to my parents, one day they're still on one fad diet, and the next day it's back Shake 'N Bake and Betty Crocker.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you need to basically go to another eating culture

japanese americans are like double digits lbs or something fatter than japanese japanese peeps because tgry eat like americans. obesity is a culture disease, solve it at culture

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The sword of damocles that are cheat days is a keto feature.

But especially with the recent blow ups in popularity most people "on keto" are just in forever Atkins induction which often doesn't trigger or sustain ketosis once you've pissed your water weight out so you're probably just going to "only" feel bloated a couple days instead of re-onset of keto flu.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you need to basically go to another eating culture

japanese americans are like double digits lbs or something fatter than japanese japanese peeps because tgry eat like americans. obesity is a culture disease, solve it at culture

Sure but that doesn't help my pants fit better

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Culture is already a-changing.

Not with good eating habits, that's hard. But with COVID it's a matter of weeks before we won't even need to wear pants in public.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Sure but that doesn't help my pants fit better

dehumanize yourself and face to elastic waistbands.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Bloop posted:

This seems like a dismissive assumption that your personal experiences are universal

Not about bread crusts in particular, mind

Nah kids are dumb as hell and will believe dumb poo poo to their very core if you let them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

uber_stoat posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to elastic waistbands.

They're actually not that bad, and a belt covers it up really good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Nah kids are dumb as hell and will believe dumb poo poo to their very core if you let them.

Kids yes but to say adults shouldn't have ANY texture deal breakers is also bogus

People eat all the fat on a prime rib, apple cores, shrimp shells, cartilage, rare chicken, natto, and all manner of other things that others immensely dislike based on texture

I love scallops and mushrooms but know people who squick out about either. Sure, they're nuts, but I won't eat a loving gizzard unless I'm on fear factor

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pleased to be introducing my new diet: the gizzard diet. You can eat as much as you want of chicken gizzards but you can only eat 1 serving of any other foods per day.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
When you eat gizzards you're eating chicken teeth.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

fizzymercury posted:

When you eat gizzards you're eating chicken teeth.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most popular diets are founded on concepts that don't actually make sense or have any meaning or corroborating underlying science, but they all work if you stick to them because what matters is consistently keeping track of the food you eat and trying to be responsible about it, not the dumb bullshit theory that it was founded on.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SlothfulCobra posted:

Most popular diets are founded on concepts that don't actually make sense or have any meaning or corroborating underlying science, but they all work if you stick to them because what matters is consistently keeping track of the food you eat and trying to be responsible about it, not the dumb bullshit theory that it was founded on.

Yeah, I have a friend who tries a new fad diet (not all of them fads, some of them very sensible frameworks, to give him credit) about once a year. It works great for a couple months because he's paying attention and being deliberate about what he eats, and then it falls apart and he tries something else.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Aceofblue posted:

Somebody is gonna have a bad day when they try to take a bite out of the pancake yoga mat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThhfLvR4Wo8

---

Not an image, but a minor tale of AFP. I entered a contest last night; the prize is a $100 gift card accepted by several local restaurants/businesses. I was going down the list of participating places, and... wait. What?

Doner kebab? DONER KEBAB? DONER KEBAB?! I've had the opportunity to get try this HSP thing I'm always reading about, right here in my city, and no one ever told me?!

I was excited --- dare I say, aroused, even. I eagerly looked up the name of the place and...

"Permanently Closed", Google tells me.

:flaccid:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
or you can have a culture where not paying attention to what you eat means you eat moderately healthy food

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

or you can have a culture where not paying attention to what you eat means you eat moderately healthy food

unfortunately, a sizable number of us live in america :btroll:

The Bloop posted:

Kids yes but to say adults shouldn't have ANY texture deal breakers is also bogus

People eat all the fat on a prime rib, apple cores, shrimp shells, cartilage, rare chicken, natto, and all manner of other things that others immensely dislike based on texture

Yeah, I was having a pissy day when I said that, sorry about sweeping assumptions.

In penance, thread content:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

E:^^^ I'd try it, but i wouldn't expect it to be good.

Really if you want to diet in the US all you have to do is stop eating at restaurants. It's still possible to keep / gain weight doing so, but for a good 79% of people the pounds would just fall off.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Yes, I am.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Can't be worse than the ground beef brownies my "friend" sprung on us one game night

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Can't be worse than the ground beef brownies my "friend" sprung on us one game night

Were they brownies with ground beef in them or like a meatloaf that looked like brownies so he jokingly called it ground beef brownies?

I'd try it either way. It's intriguing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

100 bucks gift card for döner kebab? God, you'd be set for weeks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

fizzymercury posted:

Were they brownies with ground beef in them or like a meatloaf that looked like brownies so he jokingly called it ground beef brownies?

I'd try it either way. It's intriguing.

It was brownie batter with ground beef mixed in and baked.

He didn't inform us of this before we ate them

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i wanted to try out d and d once around 15 years ago

i found a group of goons to do it with

they served bacon chocolate chip cookies

it was one of the better parts of the experience and it wasnt good

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, that's just... chocolate and beef can work, but it's got to be the right kind of chocolate and the right preparation of beef. Give me a nice grilled steak with some mole sauce? Great.

Ground beef and Betty Crocker? :barf:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

---

Not an image, but a minor tale of AFP. I entered a contest last night; the prize is a $100 gift card accepted by several local restaurants/businesses. I was going down the list of participating places, and... wait. What?

Doner kebab? DONER KEBAB? DONER KEBAB?! I've had the opportunity to get try this HSP thing I'm always reading about, right here in my city, and no one ever told me?!

I was excited --- dare I say, aroused, even. I eagerly looked up the name of the place and...

It's such a shame that kebab(gyro) places are so sparse in the US, it's really hard to find outside of major cities. There's exactly 1 near me, and it's a 30 minute detour from work, so I almost never get it, and the thread always makes me crave that sweet, sweet ground beef/lamb mix when it talks about kebab.

I have to go to my GF's to check on her cats today, and there's a shop I just found up the street, gonna get my fix.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

you no like? how about a mixture of satay sauce and mayonnaise?

No chopped onions? A shameful patatje oorlog.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

:lmao:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I suppose you aren't interested in the beef fudge then.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I just got myself a copy of The Futurist Cookbook, published in 1932. It's a collection of food theories and recipes from the Italian Futurist movement founded by Filippo Tommaso Marinetti. In order to lift Italy from its past, it theorized, modernity in the extreme must be embraced. In practice it was basically extremely nationalistic technofascism based around eliminating anything non-Italian from the culture, advancing science and industry as much as possible to make Italy the king of the world, and glorifying war. It was heavily tied into the rise of Italian Fascism, though Marinetti broke with it over their Romanesque aesthetics.

The Futurist theories on food ranged from the weird and unscientific (pasta must be eliminated because it's insufficiently passionate, is digested by the pancreas and liver rather than saliva because you don't chew it, and makes you lazy and impotent) to the outright psychotic (we are very close to transmitting nourishment over radio, eliminating food altogether). Marinetti founded a restaurant, the Tavern of the Holy Palate, in Turin to serve a meal to journalists. It's recounted as follows:

quote:

First: Intuitive Antipasto. It’s not difficult to grasp that here in one sense it was a question of a surprise, and in another sense, of a preparation for the meal ahead. At this point we must not forget that the invention of appetizing food sculptures whose original harmony of form and colour feeds the eyes and excites the imagination before tempting the lips is a fundamental rule for a perfect meal. Therefore let’s choose a large orange, and making a tunnel inside, relieve it of its pulp: we will then carve the fleshless shell into the shape of a little basket, with a handle and a round cavity. Into this we will place a little piece of breadstick and thread on it a small slice of ham, an artichoke heart soaked in oil and a pickled chilli pepper. Into the lap of these things it will then be appropriate to slip a tiny rolled up piece of paper on which has been inscribed a Futurist maxim or a eulogy of one of the guests. It will be easy to find this surprise thanks to the decreed ‘abolition of knives and forks for food sculptures, which can give prelabial tactile pleasure.’ In sum, a very fine thing.

Second: Aerofood, tactile, with sounds and scents (devised by Fillìa). Here there are a few little complications. Eating futuristically, one uses all the five senses: touch, taste, smell, sight and hearing. We put to the reader a few other rules for the perfect dinner which will help us to enjoy fully the taste of all the courses to come: first the use of the art of perfumes to enhance the gastronomic experience. Every dish will thus be preceded by a perfume attuned to it, which will be dispelled from the table by electric fans. Next the use in measured doses of poetry and music as unexpected ingredients to accentuate with their sensual intensity the flavours of a given dish. The second course consists of four parts: on a plate are served one quarter of a fennel bulb, an olive, a candied fruit and a tactile device. The diner eats the olive, then the candied fruit, then the fennel. Contemporaneously, he delicately passes the tips of the index and middle fingers of his left hand over the rectangular device, made of a swatch of red damask, a little square of black velvet and a tiny piece of sand-paper. From some carefully hidden melodious source comes the sound of part of a Wagnerian opera, and, simultaneously, the nimblest and most graceful of the waiters sprays the air with perfume. Astonishing results: test them and see.

Third course: Sunshine soup (created by the chef Ernesto Piccinelli). This is a consommé in which a few sun-coloured ingredients are cradled. Excellent.

Fourth course: Totalrice (by Fillìa). This is a very simple thing: a risotto, Italian style, seasoned with beer, wine and fondue. Exquisite.

Fifth course: Sculpted Meat. This dish is a milestone in Futurist cooking. For the delectation of our lady readers we will transcribe the recipe: ‘a symbolic interpretation of all the varied landscapes of Italy, it is composed of a large cylindrical rissole of minced roast veal, stuffed with eleven different kinds of cooked green vegetables and roasted. This cylinder, standing upright in the centre of the plate, is crowned by a layer of honey and supported at the base by a ring of sausages resting on three golden spheres of chicken meat.’ A marvel of balance.

Sixth: Ultravirile. We will not dwell on minute details: suffice to say that this is a dish designed for the ladies.

Seventh: Edible Landscape. This is the reverse of the preceding dish; it is only for the gentlemen. Highly enjoyable.

The Italian Sea, Mediterranean Salad and Chickenfiat, the eighth, ninth and tenth dishes are served at the same time. Note particularly the last named dish, devised by Diulgheroff. One takes a good-sized chicken and cooks it in two stages: first boiled, then roasted. A capacious cavity is dug out of the shoulder of the bird, within which one places a handful of little ball-bearings made of mild steel. On to the rear part of the bird one sews in three slices a raw cocks-comb. The sculpture thus prepared goes into the oven for about ten minutes. When the flesh has fully absorbed the flavour of the mild steel balls, the chicken is served with a garnish of whipped cream.

Two dishes were then served which were not included in the programme. One of them, offered only to the journalists, was not very easy for us to decipher. We thought we tasted hints of Bologna mortadella sausage, mayonnaise and that sort of Turin caramel known as pasta Gianduia; but 24 hours after eating it, after a careful examination of our consciences, we don’t believe we can say for sure. The other unlisted dish, however, which the painter Fillìa called Porroniana and Marinetti: The Excited Pig, was simpler. An ordinary cooked salami is served immersed in a concentrated solution of strong black coffee and flavoured with eau-de-Cologne.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Elviscat posted:

It's such a shame that kebab(gyro) places are so sparse in the US, it's really hard to find outside of major cities. There's exactly 1 near me, and it's a 30 minute detour from work, so I almost never get it, and the thread always makes me crave that sweet, sweet ground beef/lamb mix when it talks about kebab.

I have to go to my GF's to check on her cats today, and there's a shop I just found up the street, gonna get my fix.

I long for the day the Halal Snack Pack comes to our shores

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

More info on Futurist meals served there:

quote:

We move on to the Italian sea, which even passéists could easily introduce into the roll-call of family favourites. Fillets of fish cooked in butter are laid out along the length of an oval plate and fixed to them in descending order, with the help of toothpicks, are a candied cherry, a piece of Australian banana and a piece of fig. On the two sides of the plate creamed spinach and at top and bottom Cirio sauce. It looks like a travesty of a transatlantic liner, but it tastes like our best cooking.

The two aperitif mixtures created by the painter Prampolini are announced:

‘The Great Waters’ and ‘Alcoholic Carousel’. General surprise to find in one of them chocolate and cheese floating in Barbera, citron syrup and bitters, and to fish out from the other a white capsule containing a mouthful of anchovies. A few grimaces, but a first result satisfying enough for several people to have seconds.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

JacquelineDempsey posted:

---

Don't watch this if you are hungry. Also I need to go back to Berlin someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTvcbT9mtw

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I long for the day the Halal Snack Pack comes to our shores

yes please

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

KataraniSword posted:

Ground beef and Betty Crocker? :barf:

I'm making this tonight. I can't eat them and my roommate is a garbage rat that will eat anything.

I have to know. I have to taste it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

chitoryu12 posted:

So I just got myself a copy of The Futurist Cookbook, published in 1932. It's a collection of food theories and recipes from the Italian Futurist movement founded by Filippo Tommaso Marinetti. ...

Just want to call out this bit in particular:

quote:

The Italian Sea, Mediterranean Salad and Chickenfiat, the eighth, ninth and tenth dishes are served at the same time. Note particularly the last named dish, devised by Diulgheroff. One takes a good-sized chicken and cooks it in two stages: first boiled, then roasted. A capacious cavity is dug out of the shoulder of the bird, within which one places a handful of little ball-bearings made of mild steel. On to the rear part of the bird one sews in three slices a raw cocks-comb. The sculpture thus prepared goes into the oven for about ten minutes. When the flesh has fully absorbed the flavour of the mild steel balls, the chicken is served with a garnish of whipped cream.

Chicken flavored with ball bearings :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

So I just got myself a copy of The Futurist Cookbook, published in 1932. It's a collection of food theories and recipes from the Italian Futurist movement founded by Filippo Tommaso Marinetti. In order to lift Italy from its past, it theorized, modernity in the extreme must be embraced. In practice it was basically extremely nationalistic technofascism based around eliminating anything non-Italian from the culture, advancing science and industry as much as possible to make Italy the king of the world, and glorifying war. It was heavily tied into the rise of Italian Fascism, though Marinetti broke with it over their Romanesque aesthetics.

The Futurist theories on food ranged from the weird and unscientific (pasta must be eliminated because it's insufficiently passionate, is digested by the pancreas and liver rather than saliva because you don't chew it, and makes you lazy and impotent) to the outright psychotic (we are very close to transmitting nourishment over radio, eliminating food altogether). Marinetti founded a restaurant, the Tavern of the Holy Palate, in Turin to serve a meal to journalists. It's recounted as follows:

Holy poo poo that's one hell of a party. Aerofood sounds amazing.