Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

JoseV’s posts all feel like they’re trying to avoid saying too much, saying just enough content to disappear again, not really pushing nor standing for anything~~

This is a better line of reasoning however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

btw im gonna have company later, and y'all know i check mafia threads quite frequently (cuz i have no life) but i may still only be checking in at like 20 minute intervals closer to deadline. also there's a chance i'll be shwasted

"Stop getting high at my crime scene!"

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Sandwolf posted:

I’m not getting scummy vibes from you rn but what’s would be a fair assessment of your argument!

I think Grandicap is making an alignment based claim that bif is town. Ostensibly, he is using information in the thread to make this call, but I don't think this information follows toward that conclusion. As a result, I think he is using out of thread knowledge to make this alignment call, and I think it's most likely that that out of game knowledge is knowledge of who the scum team is, knowledge he would have if he was scum.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

Recontextualize it then!

Both of y’all complaining my take is wrong and doing zero legwork to correct it!

I’ve already said my piece about this to some extent, maybe I’m missing something but grandi seems focused on defending his take on bif being super town, where is he focusing on finding scum?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

CCKeane posted:

I think Grandicap is making an alignment based claim that bif is town. Ostensibly, he is using information in the thread to make this call, but I don't think this information follows toward that conclusion. As a result, I think he is using out of thread knowledge to make this alignment call, and I think it's most likely that that out of game knowledge is knowledge of who the scum team is, knowledge he would have if he was scum.

I love it so much Keane.
It's inaccurate, but I love you "recontextualizing" it. Carry on.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Hal Insandenza posted:

I’ve already said my piece about this to some extent, maybe I’m missing something but grandi seems focused on defending his take on bif being super town, where is he focusing on finding scum?

My IA stuff is my scum centric stuff.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Like why not slap a vote down here

Because I don't think that vote being scummy is breaking the game wide open or anything, it's just a scummy thing. Bif is already at 3 votes and my read of that vote isn't strong enough to put them at 4

Sandwolf posted:

JoseV’s posts all feel like they’re trying to avoid saying too much, saying just enough content to disappear again, not really pushing nor standing for anything~~
It's D1, I don't have strong feelings about anything yet. Also I have a 5 month old baby and a full time job so my time has been pretty limited.

Mr. Steak posted:

then do it, coward! jose has been expressly ignoring me because engaging with me would only bring more attention to him. its a scum technique i use all the time
Yes, I have been ignoring you for this reason. It's something I recommend people do regardless of alignment. Your case against me so far has been that I'm scum because I said it was rude for Sandwolf to want to vig me and you took some jokes I made after that seriously. It's not something I felt like I should take very seriously, but now it's picking up steam so I guess I will :shrug:

Sandwolf posted:

I don’t think it’s Grandi, he seems more interested than not in figuring out who is scum and I honestly feel like the case on him re: Bif is like “wow he thinks BIF is TOWN? Scum”

I feel like it’s more likely he just picked a side of the binary and committed to it instead of waffling.
I agree with this

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Lol @ grandi

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

OK Keane but couldn’t Grandi have just been deciding to be certain of Bif instead of hemming and hawing like the thread has largely been? I see what you’re saying but even if Grandi was scum doing it I don’t think it’d be in this big bombastic way.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Because I don't think that vote being scummy is breaking the game wide open or anything, it's just a scummy thing. Bif is already at 3 votes and my read of that vote isn't strong enough to put them at 4

"It's at least as scummy as indiscriminately firing and killing a townie. That's what you've claimed."

Bifauxnen posted:

"Whatever. I just started thinking about it. This is gonna be one-to-two hour brain project, at least. Steak, listen. I know this *boundary-pushing* thing is new to you, but it's old news for us grown-ups."

// BREAKTHROUGH IMMINENT //
// VOLUMETRIC BULLSHIT COMPRESSOR //

##vote JoseV

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

"It's at least as scummy as indiscriminately firing and killing a townie. That's what you've claimed."

##vote JoseV

You think I'm scummy because I think you're scummy. They should invent a term for that

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jose Valasquez posted:

You think I'm scummy because I think you're scummy. They should invent a term for that

Yiiiikes

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

That’s really more an “eesh” than a “yiikes” apologies JoseV

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love when people pull a double-reverse omgus

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Steak posted:

i love when people pull a double-reverse omgus

You really took me saying I would vig you too personally and seriously.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what, no i meant your comment about bif

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just so we're clear. i never interpreted you as calling me scummy. that was never the basis for my read

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Are you trying to say that I'm OMGUSing bif?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jose Valasquez posted:

So you think Bif is scum? And you think Bif thinks you’re scum because you think Bif is scum?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

So you think Bif is scum? And you think Bif thinks you’re scum because you think Bif is scum?
I think bif has been scummy and I've said as much:

Jose Valasquez posted:

I lean towards "scummy", but a large part of that is getting burned by it in TGP by pushing the other way.

It's not something consider to be a compelling reason to D1 execute though

Jose Valasquez posted:

Given that she fired indiscriminately into a crowd is that a point for keeping her or executing her?

Jose Valasquez posted:

I think this vote is scummier than the vig kill

Bif's reason for voting me is:

Bifauxnen posted:

##vote JoseV

So yes, I think bif is voting me because I said she's scummy

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose Valasquez posted:

Your case against me so far has been that I'm scum because I said it was rude for Sandwolf to want to vig me and you took some jokes I made after that seriously.

the sandwolf thing is irrelevant. it was barely serious, which i think was evident by prefacing it "big brain analysis".

i see your posting as calculated overall. and the vig commentary that "person voting me is voting town because im town" is such a surface-level take that it's blatantly avoiding the question (which is ostensibly about who you think is scum), and also "reminding" thread that you are town, which pings me.

regardless of your alignment, reducing people's cases to fit your agenda doesnt make you look good

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, I find myself agreeing with Keane. I go back to this post.

Grandicap posted:

These two go together.
I could see a Steak scum, or a Keane scum, or an Amni scum trying something like this. They have a flair for the dramatic, pushing chaos. Not a thing I see in Bif. Her play is more methodical as scum.
So, yeah. I feel strongly that Bif is town. I would feel strongly about a large swath of players engaging in the d1 hipshot day vig as being town, and be unconvinced about a much smaller sliver.

I felt Grandi was overcertain about the read in general, when I asked why he was sure, it was based on meta, but the meta read that Bif isn't dramatic and chaotic is just not a match to how Bif is playing this game. So it does end up feeling like "I want to call Bif town first, how to justify calling Bif town second."

I also keep going back to this post by steak

Mr. Steak posted:

if bif is scum he's defending her, and if she's town he's defending her with such conviction that it looks like scum angling for some cred when bif flips. he kind of doesnt look good either way lol. no need to flip bif first

JoseV calls it a false dichotomy and says the third option is just that Grandi actually believes it. Well, something feels weird to me for Grandi to actually just believe what he's saying, so I sort of think Steak is right.

##vote Grandicap

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Steak posted:

the sandwolf thing is irrelevant. it was barely serious, which i think was evident by prefacing it "big brain analysis".

i see your posting as calculated overall. and the vig commentary that "person voting me is voting town because im town" is such a surface-level take that it's blatantly avoiding the question (which is ostensibly about who you think is scum), and also "reminding" thread that you are town, which pings me.
What is calculated about my posting? I feel like I've been shooting off the cuff and being way less careful than usual in this game. If I was actually being calculating in this game I would have just followed my rule and not responded to your original post calling me scummy (And now I'm getting votes because of it! Lesson learned)

quote:

regardless of your alignment, reducing people's cases to fit your agenda doesnt make you look good
I'm sorry if you feel I'm misrepresenting your case, but here are the posts you made about me:

Mr. Steak posted:

ah, the classic "post about how you are town" trick

Mr. Steak posted:

that poo poo always comes across to me as a sort of (subconscious or otherwise) desire to "get the story straight" so they needlessly remind thread/themselves that their logic stems from their town alignment

Mr. Steak posted:

also, josev seems to be unironically taking the position of "OMGUS is good actually". which, lol

Mr. Steak posted:

except a lack of vote speaks to his not wanting to be scrutinized for committing to such a silly thing.

i dont care if apparently he's some kind of mastermind scum genius, and therefore presumably wouldnt make these mistakes as scum. i see what i see

These are all in response to these two posts:

Regarding Sandwolf saying he would vig me:
In regards to you saying that was scummy:

Jose Valasquez posted:

steak because he's the only person that I'm confident is voting for town
The vig answer was a joke, it wasn't super serious, the real answer to the vig question is "I wouldn't vig anyone because I'm a big boy and can keep a vig in my pocket until it is useful instead of popping off on day 1"

You took an offhand joke and turned it into a case. I think my summary of your case is accurate :shrug:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

JoseV if you had a vig who would you shoot

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

JoseV if you had a vig who would you shoot

Nobody because I'm a big boy and can keep a vig in my pocket until it is useful instead of popping off on day 1

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

yeah that answer just feels so desperate to be safe

It’s not a real gun and I can’t actually give it to you - you theoretically are able to immediately flip one player in this game, they won’t actually die, this is just a thought experiment - who do you flip

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

yeah that answer just feels so desperate to be safe

It’s not a real gun and I can’t actually give it to you - you theoretically are able to immediately flip one player in this game, they won’t actually die, this is just a thought experiment - who do you flip
I mean, the safe answer would be to just tell you what you want to hear and name somebody, but I am very conservative and calculated with role actions. If I had a role action that posted someone's flip in the thread I wouldn't use it yet because I wouldn't want to inadvertently flip a cop or something.

If I had a role action that would tell me and me alone someone's flip and it was use it or lose it I would probably use it on Bif because that's the person that A) I think has been scummiest in the game thus far, and B) I think that flip gives the most information to work with given that she has been the focus of attention. Although on second thought I might not do that because Bif is one of the likelier candidates for execution today so it might end up being a waste. The other way to think about this hypothetical role action is that it can tell me who I can trust in the game, so perhaps I would use it on someone that I have a hard time reading like Keane or Voodoo.

I don't know, it's a tough choice. If I had an action like that I would agonize over it for hours before deciding how to use it. I've already spent 20 minutes thinking about it and it isn't even real. I doubt you'll like that answer, but it's how I think about the game and I'm not gonna lie about it

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Well I can appreciate you adhering to your self but even in the extra latitude you gave yourself you couldn’t pick someone to flip so honestly it looks like you’ve got the classic scum quagmire of not knowing which case to hang your hat on.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sorry, but "If you played the game in a fundamentally different way what would you do?" is a bullshit question. I don't know what I would do if I was a different person.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

OK Keane but couldn’t Grandi have just been deciding to be certain of Bif instead of hemming and hawing like the thread has largely been? I see what you’re saying but even if Grandi was scum doing it I don’t think it’d be in this big bombastic way.

Sure! That's very possible. It's also day one, though, so that's my strongest read atm.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

Sorry, but "If you played the game in a fundamentally different way what would you do?" is a bullshit question. I don't know what I would do if I was a different person.

I'd probably eat fish if I was a different person, I don't like fish so it'd be nice to see what the big deal was, if I was a person that liked fish.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah okay I can see Jose.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jose Valasquez posted:

I think bif has been scummy and I've said as much:

Bif's reason for voting me is:

So yes, I think bif is voting me because I said she's scummy

"What are you still hanging around and not voting for?"

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's D1, I don't have strong feelings about anything yet.

"Sounds like a cover story to me. Calling that vote *even scummier* than shooting someone that early? That sounds like some strong feelings. I know you're giving me the run-around."

"I think you're just a scared little bitch who doesn't wanna stick his neck out being the fourth or fifth vote when it's actually going to mean something to start looking responsible. You think I'm scum, huh? Yeah, I'm a real dirty cop hustling for La Puta Madre. I'm gonna go on police radio sayin' you told him to gently caress off!"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

"I think you're just a scared little bitch who doesn't wanna stick his neck out being the fourth or fifth vote when it's actually going to mean something to start looking responsible. You think I'm scum, huh? Yeah, I'm a real dirty cop hustling for La Puta Madre. I'm gonna go on police radio sayin' you told him to gently caress off!"

I know you're doing a bit, but please stop talking to me in this way.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

JoseV's response feels mega town to me. I don't think scum would put that much deliberation in basically side stepping the question. Feels a lot like SiV's response to the game in Bernie.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jose Valasquez posted:

Alright but effectively the question boils down to: “who is your strongest scumread/suspicion so far” or “who is so difficult for you to read you’d rather just know” and you don’t seem to think anyone is scummy enough to flip and you kinda avoided the second half of the question (though you did say Voodoo/Keane).

It feels like it’s betraying, to me, an insincere viewpoint on the game.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Alright but effectively the question boils down to: “who is your strongest scumread/suspicion so far” or “who is so difficult for you to read you’d rather just know” and you don’t seem to think anyone is scummy enough to flip and you kinda avoided the second half of the question (though you did say Voodoo/Keane).

It feels like it’s betraying, to me, an insincere viewpoint on the game.

I answered both of those questions explicitly in my post.
Bif is my strongest scumread and Voodoo and Keane are two people I have a hard time reading. Maybe just read my post?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grandicap posted:

JoseV's response feels mega town to me. I don't think scum would put that much deliberation in basically side stepping the question. Feels a lot like SiV's response to the game in Bernie.

I agree, I read Jose's response to Sandwolf as really townie.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

But then why not just say shoot bif instead of this “I’d shoot bif but then again maybe not because she’s a viable lunch candidate today”? That feels like you know Bif could eat it today and are okay with that happening like that, but if you thought Bif was scum wouldn’t you just want her flipped so we could spend the rest of D1 analyzing the fallout of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

But then why not just say shoot bif instead of this “I’d shoot bif but then again maybe not because she’s a viable lunch candidate today”? That feels like you know Bif could eat it today and are okay with that happening like that, but if you thought Bif was scum wouldn’t you just want her flipped so we could spend the rest of D1 analyzing the fallout of that?

No, because given the choice between vigging scum and executing scum I'd rather execute scum so that votes are on the record. I'd save a vig for someone I was confident was scum but there wasn't enough traction to execute them.