Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Midjack posted:

for biking, running, and hiking stretch out both before you start and after you’re done.

warmups are a good idea but do something more interesting and effective than static stretching. unless you really like static stretching, in which case go HAM with it and find some yoga videos or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i've been running since october i wanna say. i had forgotten how nice it is to see gains in something. i've never done it with much seriousness before. yesterday i went a bit farther than usual and despite that killed my pb pace going from 9:29/mi to 9:15. feels great!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

it's true, exercise feels good

i just went alpine skiing, that shits so serene and gets a good pump going

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

really it comes down to the fact that you have to do things that you know are good for you, even when you don't want to.

good luck!

this is lies. you do not HAVE to do things that are good for you, and especially not if you dont feel like it

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

so, I took my bike from the basement and went to cycle for some coffee and ride around the park, it was fun and made me motivated to finally do some exercises on our new fitness mat, I struggled to do a one push up and more than five crunches. Can anybody recommend some basic home training plans for complete couch potatoes? I am legitimately scared right now, I have never been this weak physically, at least stamina is holding up and mentally I have never been better

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i mentioned this elsewhere in the forums but i bought a spin bike and a bluetooth cadence sensor and have really been enjoying the peloton classes. bad idea putting in the basement though because then there are steps afterward.

and then since they were available i’ve also been enjoying the treadmill classes. keeps my attention (always a struggle) better than c210k and a movie or book, and usually ends up pushing me. i am not any kind of extreme runner tho.

i like having all the options - running / biking / strength (usually bodyweight for me) / stretching in one place. i might try the apple stuff if i ever get a watch but they’re gonna have to do something ridiculous for that since i have no use at all for one at the moment

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RustyKnight posted:

so, I took my bike from the basement and went to cycle for some coffee and ride around the park, it was fun and made me motivated to finally do some exercises on our new fitness mat, I struggled to do a one push up and more than five crunches. Can anybody recommend some basic home training plans for complete couch potatoes? I am legitimately scared right now, I have never been this weak physically, at least stamina is holding up and mentally I have never been better

there are lots of bodyweight workout regimens out there so try that search term. progression happens pretty quick esp in the beginning; don’t get freaked out at not getting to a million pull-ups or whatever on the first day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RustyKnight posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RustyKnight posted:

The reddit bodyweight is a pretty good starting point imo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

yeah, I was just scared initially but I guess being stuck at home and over a year of blocking testosterone finally took it's toil on me making me incredibly weak, gonna find some exercises for working out with just a fitness mat and try to ride my bike dialy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

RustyKnight posted:

ring fit adventure

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

convict conditioning is legit good for bodyweight. the trappings around it are silly of course, but i used it to great success back in the day. the leg raise section is kinda weird though because unless im some beautiful champion of core strength and endurance, that poo poo was super easy. the pullups section was good, the handstand pushups section was decent. i never did much on the squats because i was doing kettlebells and never did the bridge part for reasons i dont remember. the pushup section seemed good but i didn't see the gains/progress there that i did in other places: i pretty much started at full pushups and never got beyond diamond pushups

e: i just looked at the convict conditioning entry on the publisher's website and it's full of a bunch of "A REAL MAN can do x,y,z" bullshit. i dont remember that from when i was looking at it, but gently caress that, it's gross. maybe pirate it if you really want the progressions for the six exercises but it's not like there's not a million "start with incline pushups, then shallow regular, then regular, then diamond, then decline" type things all over the internet. lame

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 3, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol i was getting back into bodyweight stuff (starting at doing letdowns on the pullup bar at the park, i can't even do one pullup these days D: ) but then i cut the poo poo out of my finger on monday and i'm out of commission again. lame

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

PokeJoe posted:

ring fit adventure

i would try that but I don't have a switch, and spending money on switch and expensive fitness game is not really in my budget right now

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RustyKnight posted:

i would try that but I don't have a switch, and spending money on switch and expensive fitness game is not really in my budget right now
come join us in the interviewing and jobhunting thread and get more figgies

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

biked home from work today which usually takes me 45minutes ish on my road bike and it took an hour and a half, i got off and walked for a bit and was going slow as balls. i’ve had a loving busy week and not much sleep and had 4 coffees this morning and I think my body just noped out

I think from now on i’ll do road bike at start of the week and ebike at the end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
read a thing today that said the three pillars of health are

nutrition
sleep
exercise

and given my goals, i’m having success managing to avoid all three of those

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i always thought i hated running but i just hate road running. i like trail running a lot

this weekend i am going to go climbing at the climbing gym for only the second time since covid started. its going to be hosed up and theres going to be a lot of routes missing to keep people spaced out, but ive missed it so much. last time i got to go was like back in september and two days later i got a contact tracing email from the gym saying the employee working the front desk that day tested positive lmao (he ended up being ok)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've never been to a climbing gym whose stance was something other than "lol gently caress off if you're colorblind"

never mattered too much bc when i was climbing all the time joshua tree was _right there_ and i was too poor to afford it anyway. there was a wall on campus, but there was also bouldering at the beach

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my belayer used to use a laser pointer to help me see the right hold at the campus wall. that only works up to a certain height though. tbh it didn't work that great anywhere but i'm glad i can say we tried

it turns out i am basically a puppy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i've never been to a climbing gym

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i've never been climbing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

successfully managed to do ~1h of bike and few strength exercises every other day for over week now, I think I'm past the initial resignation threshold and I already see a bit of improvement. Tiny iron's back!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Niiiice!

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

current mood:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RustyKnight posted:

current mood:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

RustyKnight posted:

current mood:

dang I wish I benched 245 like this little guy here

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

RustyKnight posted:

successfully managed to do ~1h of bike and few strength exercises every other day for over week now, I think I'm past the initial resignation threshold and I already see a bit of improvement. Tiny iron's back!

:hellyeah:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ADINSX posted:

dang I wish I benched 245 like this little guy here

Benching 245 and blasting tunes on their boombox like an actual champ.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ring fit crew here, it hits the stupid video game skinner box buttons in my head

now that its spring xc ski season is over and trails are too wet for mtb im doing some jogging
i hate it but its a good workout

i messed up my shoulder (rotator tear i think) in a stupid old person way so that’s bumming me out and limiting what I can do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can this thread just be general self improvement

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PCjr sidecar posted:

ring fit crew here, it hits the stupid video game skinner box buttons in my head

now that its spring xc ski season is over and trails are too wet for mtb im doing some jogging
i hate it but its a good workout

i messed up my shoulder (rotator tear i think) in a stupid old person way so that’s bumming me out and limiting what I can do

what devices do you need for ring fit

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

echinopsis posted:

what devices do you need for ring fit

a Nintendo switch and the ring fit game which comes with a kind of Pilates ring and a leg strap- the little switch controllers go in the strap and the ring. I also advise getting a yoga mat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

might i also suggest procuring

a

clue???

hahaha

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://github.com/watanabetoshinori/RingFitConnect

if you don’t have a apple watch but you want your ring fit workouts in apple health you can build this appropriately yospos app, lol

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

PCjr sidecar posted:

https://github.com/watanabetoshinori/RingFitConnect

if you don’t have a apple watch but you want your ring fit workouts in apple health you can build this appropriately yospos app, lol

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'm getting my 2nd shot today. I'm going to wait a month before going back to the gym.

In the meantime though I have started doing yoga on rest days. Hopefully going to unlock my chakras and blow up people dr manhattan style.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I refuse to get fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

I want to get fit but my ADHD says that I should get really into ham radios instead of going out for a run