Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's called an investment. As we all know things get more expensive over time so buying in now is the smartest thing you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This is today’s 'HELP I’M A SHIP' post

CANNOT PLAY THE GAME AS THE APARTMENT IS BEING USED FOR PARTS STORAGE?!?!?!?!

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

- Wait for the loading screen
- Be unable to do anything as ship components fly and bounce around the apartment

ACTUAL RESULT

You sit there and watch idiot ship components bouncing around the apartment.

EXPECTED RESULT

I expect to be able to get out of the bed and to leave the apartment. Right now cannot do anything, not even backspace out of this mess!!!!! I NEED SOME HELP HAS BEEN THIS WAY FOR FOUR DAYS NOW!!!!!!!

WORKAROUND

THERE IS NONE! YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING FOR ONCE!

EVIDENCE

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Help I am an Idris and I must scream

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Store Citizer: WORKAROUND- THERE IS NONE! YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING FOR ONCE!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ugh the ship naming has opened up and the sub is rapidly becoming just morons posting screen clips of their ships named after every sci-fi property on earth. I know their moderation team is basically braindead but it really sucks having to slog through the brown sea over there for the little comedy gems. Reddit mods here's a helpful tip: if your front page consists solely of vanity posts for the benefit of the poster only, you are doing a bad loving job.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/I3WC2Ln.mp4

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

So if you sell a named ship on the grey market, does its name go with it..?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gravity_Storm posted:

So if you sell a named ship on the grey market, does its name go with it..?

Probably, because CIG has put exactly 0 thought into any of this beyond "we can charge people money for this..."

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

L. Ron Hoover posted:

re: warhammer 40k, I think one of the things that undermines the satire is making all the Imperium's perceived threats actually real. I mean it would be like an alternate medieval history where witches were real and really dangerous, and had to be dealt with by burning at the stake. I mean, I suppose at that point you couldn't fault the catholic church as much... but the whole point is they weren't real. And in wh40k humanity is basically in danger of being exterminated from like 15 different directions. You probably would need some sort of authoritarian militant civilization just for pure survival needs.

There is or used to be a lot of stuff in the lore about how humans are just utter poo poo and their ten-millenia downfall has its roots in a technological dark age where a lot of information and science was intentionally lost, destroyed or locked away and essentially branded as heresy, from things like weapons tech to advanced AI. They mostly don't even know how computers work, just that they do, and everything that exists like this is kept running through centuries of maintenance that has become rituals of the holy order of mechanic-priests. So of course, everything sucks.

Even the Golden Throne, the grand soul-powered warp-rending cryostasis machine keeping the Emperor in a coma a half-step away from death, has been falling apart for millennia because nobody knows how to maintain it. It was a Big Deal in, I think 4th or 5th edition, they changed some art of the Throne to show it dilapidated and falling apart. Some people thought they might kill the old bastard off for certain and advance the plot somehow. Don't know if that ever happened. I realised it wasn't a hobby I had the time, money or motivation to keep up with.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Can anyone who has actually booted the game in the past month tell me, are these ship names even present on the spaceships?

Is this just people naming poo poo in their website? I think it is, :lol:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Can anyone who has actually booted the game in the past month tell me, are these ship names even present on the spaceships?

Is this just people naming poo poo in their website? I think it is, :lol:

I assumed it showed up when you locked onto someones ship or maybe even is painted onto the side of the hull. Now I really want to know the answer to this.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

I assumed it showed up when you locked onto someones ship or maybe even is painted onto the side of the hull. Now I really want to know the answer to this.

I've seen a shitload of screenshots of the website and not a single one from in-game so you know what that means

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hopefully this is just tier 0 and eventually you’ll have to land on a planet, manually mix paint and then spray it onto your hull. Then engage in a complex mini-game to reprogram your ships ID transponder before paying a fee to the UEE DMV to register the new name. And all of this takes 8 real-life hours to complete.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 3, 2021

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

colonelwest posted:

Hopefully this is just tier 0 and eventually you’ll have to land on a planet, manually mix paint and then spray it onto your hull. Then engage in a complex mini-game to reprogram your ships ID transponder before paying a few to the UEE DMV to register the new name. And all of this takes 8 real-life hours to complete.

Does it have fidelatious standing in line at the UEE DMV for 6 hours and if you leave the line to relieve yourself, because if you don't the survival mechanic kills you, you lose your place in line and have to wait all over again? Anything less is just not real enough.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DocCynical posted:

Does it have fidelatious standing in line at the UEE DMV for 6 hours and if you leave the line to relieve yourself, because if you don't the survival mechanic kills you, you lose your place in line and have to wait all over again? Anything less is just not real enough.

Our attempts at exaggerated jokes are always eclipsed by the reality of what CIG tries to put in their "game." This doesn't even seem like it's as far as they're willing to go. I mean, this as written would technically work, so it's already not lovely enough. They should also add a punishment if you leave the line and you're levied a space fine for each appointment you miss, so you get stuck in an escalating loop of piss to avoid death, lose spot in line, get fined, do it all over again until server crashes.

(Server crashes right away.)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nyeehg posted:

Wait, what!? Maybe other countries are doing better but considering how little money the government has given out in the UK and the US spending any of it (let alone most of it) on jpegs is just suicidal!

I just... :psyduck:

We are talking about a group of people seemingly willing to spend money they don't have to the point of wanting/needing to borrow money from friends for rent.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

The plots are cheesy pulp rather than grand space opera, but I think that Venus Equilateral is worth checking out if you really like science fiction.

It's pre-solid-state hard scifi, written by someone who worked on radar and guided missle systems. It's a little capsule of a future where semiconductors had never happened, written by someone who was working on the bleeding edge of real-world RF systems.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Nyeehg posted:

Wait, what!? Maybe other countries are doing better but considering how little money the government has given out in the UK and the US spending any of it (let alone most of it) on jpegs is just suicidal!

Anything to make Roberts' dream reality.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Is the ship naming still limited to like 5 ship models? Seems like they could enable it on some more ships whenever some poo poo happens to drown subreddit/spectrum in stupid posts about who got what ship name :tinfoil: If you didn't figure this out at CIG yet, I await my payment thread intern

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Tippis posted:

Uncontrolled variable tick rate. That should work wonders for the stability, predictability, and being able to reliably stay in sync with clients.

What were the issues SC was battling again…?

didn't they also recently introduce allowing clients on the same server to have different and variable tick rates?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

stinch posted:

didn't they also recently introduce allowing clients on the same server to have different and variable tick rates?

Star citizen problems require star citizen solutions

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

commando in tophat posted:

Is the ship naming still limited to like 5 ship models? Seems like they could enable it on some more ships whenever some poo poo happens to drown subreddit/spectrum in stupid posts about who got what ship name :tinfoil: If you didn't figure this out at CIG yet, I await my payment thread intern

Still? It's been announced/out for like week or two, ask again in 2023. Who do you think CIG are, magicians? They are perfectionists, PERFECTIONISTS, I tell you!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

stinch posted:

I'm no expert, but I'd say having different framerates/tickrates is perfectly normal for FPS or action games. You run game simulation on multiple machines and synchronize what is affecting gameplay (e.g. player positions) and ignoring what doesn't matter (e.g. cloth physics on random flags, random cardboard boxes flying around, watermelons exploding (unless you're CIG!)). Then that is engine's responsibility to correct your local state of game based on authority (server version of e.g. player positions). In this way one player running at 1 FPS doesn't ruin game for everybody, unless that one player isn't server :trustme:

You use same tick rates for everybody for things like RTS games where synchronizing hundreds of units is kind of impractical, and you rely on everybody simulating everything the same way and only send player commands around network (I'm sure there are RTS games that don't work this way)

Greg Haza
Sep 15, 2020
Do we still have a group of Goons playing?
Goonrathi does not seem to be active.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Greg Haza posted:

Do we still have a group of Goons playing?
Goonrathi does not seem to be active.

Most are the on the concierge only servers, how much have you pledged?

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

colonelwest posted:

Hopefully this is just tier 0 and eventually you’ll have to land on a planet, manually mix paint and then spray it onto your hull. Then engage in a complex mini-game to reprogram your ships ID transponder before paying a fee to the UEE DMV to register the new name. And all of this takes 8 real-life hours to complete.

Gotta buy the right paint compounds for IRL cash first! Else it will degrade, you will get fined and sent to prison. A form of LTI if you will. Get in line Store Citizens!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Zaphod42 posted:

Definitely. What's fun is in the original ST, Bones refused to use the teleporters. (Because he knew the implications lol)

I do think teleporters get into some real fun discussions of the ship-of-theseus and the nature of self (in absence of some magical otherworldly "soul")

But while most people think that a teleporter involves killing you and creating a clone (even if its not outright stated that way like in ST) people don't think of a cyborg or a person with a prosthesis as being a clone or a whole other person, so, yeah, ship-of-Theseus.

I really enjoyed playing Soma because of this. I was like, cool, someone is addressing the existential horror behind digitization of consciousness and the copying/transfer of them.
I highly recommend it, but I also recommend playing it in Safe Mode. Monsters attacking you is not what makes it a horror game and they mostly just get in the way of the great narrative.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nyeehg posted:

You just forgot that if you say “backers are dumb as bricks”, the bricks will sue you for defamation.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Pretty sure this is the expectation. :homebrew:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DocCynical posted:

Once you get to your agent, it's the sloth guy from Zootopia so it takes you at least three real life days to complete the full process. There are bunks attached to the office you can sleep in over night as your paperwork is completed from the myriad of questions you are asked.

Any errors identifies you as a con artist and police immediately transport you to jail. So the punishment is proper because this is a government action.

Being a citizen isn't easy and if you think it is then maybe you should go play Fortnight you silly refundian. :black101:

Greg Haza
Sep 15, 2020

Daztek posted:

Most are the on the concierge only servers, how much have you pledged?

I gave the guy $40 in 2013 and just gave him another $100 for a Cutlass Black.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The concept of a civilization that intentionally builds itself around cyclic apocalypses and develops infrastructure specifically for that is interesting.

Vernor Vinge did a neat version of this in A Deepness in the Sky. A star with a variable brightness cycle would plunge a planet into an ice age every few years, and the civilization of bug people had evolved their society and tech with periodic hibernation and looming apocalypse in mind.

dieselfruit fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 3, 2021

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Greg Haza posted:

:lol:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

dieselfruit posted:

Vernor Vinge did a neat version of this in A Deepness in the Sky. A star with a variable brightness cycle would plunge a planet into an ice age every few years, and the civilization of bug people had evolved their society and tech with periodic hibernation and looming apocalypse in mind.

Yeah, Brain Aldiss had a similar set up with Helliconia, except that some of the societies were better planners than others.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Greg Haza posted:

The bad news is that you paid too much for a terrible tech demo with no depth and barely any stability, and nobody in this thread plays it. This is a thread for laughing at its' abject failure.

The good news is that there are no real benefits to grouping in-game so you can carry single crates around solo to your heart's content!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Greg Haza posted:

Oh bro I think he was joking.

Honestly not that bad though I lost 500 on cryptocurrency

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

Greg Haza posted:

May I ask why you gave more money in 2021?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Greg Haza posted:

So long as you are enjoying the game that's what's important I wager. :)

Have you been enjoying it so far? Do you feel it's worth the money you've spent so far?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

reddit 2021 posted:

I sincerely feel like once server side object container streaming works as it should, things will really take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

colonelwest posted:

Add in needing to fly to the city planet, ride the tram for 10 minutes to get to space DMV, take a number and stand in line for 20 minutes, then have to interact with some DMV NPC with 4 jackets- utilizing the groundbreaking bartender AI (ignore the wine bottle clipped into his hand), fill out 10 forms and then BINGO! You got a ship name.

This is the Chris Roberts way.