Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No Man's Sky has beaten the Horizon series to the coveted market of Dino Riders fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lobok posted:

No Man's Sky has beaten the Horizon series to the coveted market of Dino Riders fans.

I thought that was a muddy horn with mud flying everywhere, but looks like it’s just birds.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Lechtansi posted:

This makes sense to me, otherwise you end up in a FF8 situation where the expensive cutscenes/voice acting stays even though the story has changed and the poor game devs have to do their best to stitch it together into something coherent.

Not really on topic, but what game are you referring to? I can only think of Final Fantasy and that FF8 never had voice acting.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Neat video on the AI in the game, which is substantially more well developed than most games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RRjM1yNvy4

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

v1ld posted:

Neat video on the AI in the game, which is substantially more well developed than most games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RRjM1yNvy4

holy gently caress

during playtesting the loving stormbird AI figured out that dive attacks were more effective when it blocked out the sun or moon because the shifting light/shadows threw the player off and the devs noticed this proclivity and proceeded to encourage it

they built a drat bird AI that taught itself the first rule of the dicta boelcke

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

When they said they were gonna keep updating the game they really weren't loving kidding.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

effervescible posted:

Not really on topic, but what game are you referring to? I can only think of Final Fantasy and that FF8 never had voice acting.

willing to bet it was just a typo and they meant FF13, which is very close if you're used to the Roman numerals (VIII vs XIII)

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

morallyobjected posted:

willing to bet it was just a typo and they meant FF13, which is very close if you're used to the Roman numerals (VIII vs XIII)

In the case of Final Fantasy, I meant expensive cutscenes and for Horizon it's voice acting. Sorry for the confusion.

IIRC it was FF8 that had super random cutscenes that barely connected to the gameplay, but I never played it so I might be wrong. If I am wrong, just pretend I meant FF13.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As I recall Horizon Zero Dawn also started recording without a voice director, and began with the design leads in the Netherlands feeding direction to their actors in the US. The theme of Horizon's production history is consistently Guerrilla being totally unprepared for making an RPG but ultimately pulling through.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
HZD is a story about a studio with good tech but middling story production getting ridiculously lucky

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If you read anything about this industry you'll know it's a minor miracle whenever good games get made at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FAUXTON posted:

holy gently caress

during playtesting the loving stormbird AI figured out that dive attacks were more effective when it blocked out the sun or moon because the shifting light/shadows threw the player off and the devs noticed this proclivity and proceeded to encourage it

they built a drat bird AI that taught itself the first rule of the dicta boelcke

They built a dictabird.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lobok posted:

They built a dictabird.

:frogout:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Bought this game for cheap 2 weeks ago and finished it over the weekend. World building is among the best I can remember ever seeing AND they mostly show instead of tell. The stakes and motivations felt real and believable. Really refreshing (for a 4 year old game).

My biggest quibble is melee combat being more about fighting the animations rather than the enemies and the cutscenes where none of the animators seems to have watched a real human conversation. People don't bop their heads or move their arms constantly every time they talk. This is hard to explain, but every time someone said something, there would be bodily movements of some sort. People tend to just stand pretty still. I know it's small but it was really comical at some points.

Even before watching the trailer for the next game I figured it was obvious that part of it would be going to Faro's bunker and that somehow Faro was either behind Hades or will at least be aware of who was.

One question I was unclear over was whether the machines getting more aggressive was due to the signal/virus that activated Hades or was due Hephaestus becoming unshackled from Gaia and creating robots to "protect" itself.

I also like how even though it was "primitive" the Nora matriarchs were actually pretty close to the mark in their belief system. That said, best line in the game is Aloy going, "Mother?! That's a door!"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

One question I was unclear over was whether the machines getting more aggressive was due to the signal/virus that activated Hades or was due Hephaestus becoming unshackled from Gaia and creating robots to "protect" itself.

it's both. GAIA is what kept HEPHAESTUS in line, making peaceful machines. after the signal, all the subfunctions of GAIA became independent AIs, and HEPHAESTUS was upset that people were killing its machines for parts, so it started making them more threatening

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

If you finish the Frozen Wilds storyline, you can speak to CYAN who speculates that HEPHAESTUS has made the machines more aggressive in response to human hunting behavior. Unshackled from GAIA's "protect humans" programming, it's responding to the threat being made against its creations. As far as we know it's not being directed by any other source, just its own defense mechanisms taken to rogue AI extremes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah it's not "those drat humans are my enemy, I will destroy them", it's "beep boop machines are destroyed, adjusting build parameters to stop them being destroyed"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You gotta love that Heph goes from "pointy ground-tillers that run when spooked" and "WARCHICKEN WITH BOOM BOOM SCREAM" to 15 foot tall robosaurus with orbital laser arrays, mag-disc launcher and radar

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

FilthyImp posted:

You gotta love that Heph goes from "pointy ground-tillers that run when spooked" and "WARCHICKEN WITH BOOM BOOM SCREAM" to 15 foot tall robosaurus with orbital laser arrays, mag-disc launcher and radar

Not that it really affects my enjoyment, but in game lore indicated Redmaw has been around far longer than the derangement, indicating there was some organic environmentally driven reason to create giant death T-rexes

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 3, 2021

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Not that it really affects my enjoyment, but in game lore indicated Redmaw has been around far longer than the derangement, indicating there was some organic environmentally driven reason to create giant death T-rexes

Nah, the derangement was ~20 years before game, the first probable Redmaw attack was ~4 years before Avad's ~2 year reign.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Taking down huge 10 ton machines was always kind of a dangerous job even without the lasers but now it’s become flat out deadly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am rewatching the Expanse, and the first villain of the show has a bunch of high tech ships named after Egyptian Gods, and that made me think about how Ted Farro was super into naming his death machines after Egyptian stuff too.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

twistedmentat posted:

I am rewatching the Expanse, and the first villain of the show has a bunch of high tech ships named after Egyptian Gods, and that made me think about how Ted Farro was super into naming his death machines after Egyptian stuff too.

It wasn't until like my third playthrough that I finally put 2 and 2 together with the Faro/Pharaoh pun.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Reveilled posted:

It wasn't until like my third playthrough that I finally put 2 and 2 together with the Faro/Pharaoh pun.

Son of a bitch!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Don't look up Elizabeth Sobek's last name if revelations like that hurt you.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve been doing my first play through of this on Steam on normal. I’ve gotten every epic weapon and most epic armors, most of the main game collectibles, all but one of the capacity upgrades and I’m also swimming in shards and resources. And I just completed Maker’s End. I’ve fought every type of pre-DLC enemy and uncovered most of the map while still having much of story left, and I gather this is a common experience.

Is there anything special with the collectible traders once I hand in all their sets besides the cheevo and boxes? Is there a special dialogue that I missed?

I was pretty much spoiled before this came to Steam. As I played, a lore bit that gave me an “oof” was learning that Sobeck apparently did good work cleaning up the environment, only for capitalism to go on and destroy the world even more than global warming probably could anyway.

gently caress Ted Faro.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You get some extra skill points for collecting the metal flowers and random crafting components/mods, that’s about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

14-minute gameplay reveal for Horizon Forbidden West coming on Thursday!

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/1397175628571443200

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Give me a 2021 release date you cowards!!!

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 25, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

15 minutes until the new gameplay reveal bitches!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLR5gaQNQBk

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i'm glad aloy finally got a paraglider and a non-grazing machine mount

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Where's the release date :mad:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
any guesses what the yellow bar was?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Codependent Poster posted:

Where's the release date :mad:

Summer Game Fest if it’s being released this year.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wrong thread lol

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Rinkles posted:

any guesses what the yellow bar was?

Yellow bar is Sunny D, purple bar is Purple Stuff.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

good lord are some stunningly beautiful graphics

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It looks really pretty but that dinosaur fight at 30fps just looked sluggish and awful to actually play. Have they said if there'll be a 60fps option?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1398035290393088015?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hope there's an earplugs skill