Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
has Hugh ever done an American accent? He should for this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Robot Style posted:

I always thought it would be interesting to have a D&D movie explicitly take place inside someone's campaign, and to use the fantasy world as a way for the real-world versions of the characters to work through unresolved issues they have with each other.

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising might have you covered:

https://youtu.be/tOUksDJCijw

Pretty fun movie, the infinite bards ploy still gets brought up in my D&D group.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Come And See posted:

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising might have you covered:

https://youtu.be/tOUksDJCijw

Pretty fun movie, the infinite bards ploy still gets brought up in my D&D group.

Can you summarize said ploy? I don't think I'm up to a movie just to find out.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Klowner posted:

The List

-Green Knight
-The Northman
-Dune
-Saint Maud
A Correct List

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Beachcomber posted:

Can you summarize said ploy? I don't think I'm up to a movie just to find out.

Starts around the 59min.

One character is tired of being the first to die (by random crits or traps) so he brings 50 copies of the exact same character, tearing each one up as he bites the dust again and again. Eventually the party takes cover from the enemy wizard behind the growing mound of dead bards.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If they have a necromancer, the bad guy would be in bigger trouble.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

Laughing with my friends about the idea of a non-American doing a convincing American accent

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Laughing with my friends about the idea of a non-American doing a convincing American accent

they are just out of frame laughing too

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

they are just out of frame laughing too

I see you've met my friends before

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Hugh Laurie's accent in House is pretty much rock solid, I don't remember him ever slipping up. Hugh Dancy was also really good in Hannibal; you can definitely hear the tics of somebody doing an American accent if you're listening for them, but everybody in that show speaks so portentously that it sounds like everybody is putting on an accent.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
As always, idris Elba is the gold standard

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Half of Hollywood is Australians. We grow up on USTV and pretty much everyone does American accents (to mock you).

The gold standard is Damon Herriman in Justified, in my opinion.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

well why not posted:

Half of Hollywood is Australians. We grow up on USTV and pretty much everyone does American accents (to mock you).

The gold standard is Damon Herriman in Justified, in my opinion.

Hey I'm not American either, I'm Irish, there's plenty of us out there doing great American accents (Daniel Day Lewis*, Colin Farrell, Saoirse Ronan, Cillian Murphy, Fassbender, definitely not Liam Neeson lol). Meanwhile, the reverse scenario is apparently not physically possible.

*DDL is dual Brit-Irish tbf

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 3, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Neeson tried his best, but wisely gave up on it. Americans absolutely cannot do non-American accents 90% of the time. I can't think of a single time any American has pulled of an Australian accent without it being a joke, so I know what you mean.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I get it though, we grow up saturated in a stew of American culture, whereas the average American only has cultural referents like ...the Lucky Charms leprechaun and Crocodile Dundee. Still though, it's usually cringeworthy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Actually I'm gonna caveat Fassbender, because I remember him emotion-shouting as Magneto and the Irish definitely broke through hard. Often he's good though?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's exceptions - Meryl Streep managed Australian, and RDJ's Kirk Lazarus character was more or less on point - but it's exceedingly rare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMu_GRAPKrQ

This legit does sound akin to Lindy Chamberlain. My friend's mum has nearly the same accent.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Man, RDJ was a tour de force in that movie. He could have easily phoned it in, but he pretty much committed as hard as his character

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Man, RDJ was a tour de force in that movie. He could have easily phoned it in, but he pretty much committed as hard as his character

The fact he doesn't break character until the commentary is over is the best

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes does a great Southern accent.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ehhhh as someone living in the South, Lincoln’s accent borders on caricature because it’s way too broad and he can’t do emotion shouting without breaking it entirely.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Robot Style posted:

I always thought it would be interesting to have a D&D movie explicitly take place inside someone's campaign, and to use the fantasy world as a way for the real-world versions of the characters to work through unresolved issues they have with each other.

Snowman_McK posted:

That's an episode of IT crowd.

Robot Style posted:

Community kind of did it a couple of times too, though not with the budget that would allow the in-game portions of the story to be fully realized.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's every episode of anything featuring DnD.
The Lego Movie is probably the best this sort of thing has been done

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alan Smithee posted:

Someone should check out Mickey Blue Eyes. :v: (It's a so-so movie, but the scene where he accidentally encounters his English boss while in-character as a mob guy and goes full Goodfellas on him in the Hugh Grant-est way possible managed the rare feat of making me lose it with laughter in a cinema.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gonz posted:

"Coral!"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1366787022548000771?s=21

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't this just get a remake a few years ago?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't this just get a remake a few years ago?

It was called Silent Night and it pretty much only used the idea of a killer dressing like Santa, most of it was based on the Covina Massacre.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rochallor posted:

Hugh Laurie's accent in House is pretty much rock solid, I don't remember him ever slipping up.

wikipedia posted:

At first, the producers were looking for a "quintessentially American person" to play the role of House. Bryan Singer in particular felt there was no way he was going to hire a non-American actor for the role. At the time of the casting session, actor Hugh Laurie was in Namibia filming the movie Flight of the Phoenix. He assembled an audition tape in a hotel bathroom, the only place with enough light, and apologized for its appearance (which Singer compared to a "bin Laden video"). Laurie improvised, using an umbrella for a cane. Singer was very impressed by his performance and commented on how well the "American actor" was able to grasp the character. Singer was not aware that Laurie was English, due to his convincing American accent. Laurie credits the accent to "a misspent youth [watching] too much TV and too many movies".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That seems somehow an extremely House thing to do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bryan singer was probably into the bin laden thing too

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Man, why do so many misspent cinematic/televised memories from my youth have to have Singer involved. :(

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Gonz posted:

Cuuurrlll

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It was called Silent Night and it pretty much only used the idea of a killer dressing like Santa, most of it was based on the Covina Massacre.

Holy poo poo. That guy was a scumbag in every way even before the murders. He loving orphaned 13 children.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1366837559565942787?s=21
Never heard of it before but I’m here for it

quote:

The story follows a wealthy playboy named Simon Kress who collects dangerous, exotic animals. One day, he stumbles across a mysterious establishment called Wo & Shade, where he purchases a terrarium filled with four colonies of creatures called sandkings, which grow to fill whatever environment they are kept in. Each colony consists of a large female called the maw, and numerous insect-like mobiles that she controls via telepathy. In addition to finding food for the maw, the mobiles also construct a sandcastle around her to protect the maw from invading colonies.

Indeed, the four colonies -- white, black, red and orange -- often engage in coordinated wars with one another, especially once their new owner makes them fight over food by starving them. Simon begins taking bets on the outcomes of these wars, which leave some of his friends impressed, and others disgusted. Eventually, the sandkings escape Simon's terrarium and begin to take over his house as their hunger -- and Simon's desperation -- intensifies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Man, why do so many misspent cinematic/televised memories from my youth have to have Singer involved. :(

He almost did the Battlestar Galactica reboot too, though his effort fell apart as a result of 9/11.

There's even an episode of the actual Battlestar Galactica reboot where the Cylon design from Singer's version makes an appearance.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I remember the Outer Limits episode that adapted this being pretty scary when I was younger, though I understand it changed a number of things from the original story.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I get it though, we grow up saturated in a stew of American culture, whereas the average American only has cultural referents like ...the Lucky Charms leprechaun and Crocodile Dundee. Still though, it's usually cringeworthy

True. I also suspect British actors in particular are good at accents because they're so immersed in different ones in their own country, day-to-day. An American actor can glide his whole career speaking with a generalized California American English accent and that's fine. British actors need to grapple with RP, Cockney, West Country, Welsh, Scottish, Belfast, Liverpool, Brummie, Geordie, Yorkshire, etc. and try to do them all justice. An actor from Essex might have to play someone from Glasgow, and there'd be a lot of pissed off Scots if they do it poorly. Tom Holland learning an American accent is maybe the same effort as him learning a Devon one.

The US has a lot of regional accents, but it seems like not that many people care that much or even notice when they're missing or wrong. It only really happens when it's something super distinct and recognizable, like Martin Sheen loving up a Boston accent or Nicholas Cage loving up a Southern one. But if some NYC-born actor does a Memphis accent for a character from Georgia, do most Americans care? When Nicole Kidman plays Americans and clearly hits a few words with an Aussie accent, do most people even notice?

No idea how this works in Australia, though. I can only vaguely distinguish a NZ accent from an Australian one, so how a Queensland accent differs from a Perth accent is a mystery to me. Sorry, Australians.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There are a lot of different dialects and accents in the US but nobody really cares and the only ones people tend to go with are Boston, "southern" and the Fargo accent for the northern states. Maybe California, but that just ends up being surfer or valley girl tropes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's not a lot to the actual story, that summary is pretty much it, so expect a lot of expanding on the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gore Verbinski is one of the best directors around. Bring on more stuff from that insane man.