Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lower decks is the best modern Trek show.

That's a funny way to spell "The Orville"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Orville is the best modern Trek show.

ftfy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Star Trek died years ago and it's katra has been passed on to other franchises

What you are seeing now is the franchise equivalent of remote-controlled brain dead Spock from Spock's Brain.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the orville really is the only star trek still around

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Well, and Lower Decks.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I saw that Frasier is getting a reboot, they should just put it on a starship and make it a Trek show. Kelsey G already played a Captain in TNG.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Good scifi is low budget and corny+tacky in all the right places.

But it has to be to hit the right notes.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like, all of the star treks are tacky and corny in specific areas. Same with (what I've seen so far of) SG1. But it's... kind of what makes the show (I just finished watching the bug venom parasite ep in season 2). I actually can't think of a science fiction show that ranks equally and doesn't hit that criteria (open to suggestions). Maybe Arrival, but even the ending of that was really, really corny and it made up for the rest of the aspects being missing imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Number_6 posted:

I saw that Frasier is getting a reboot, they should just put it on a starship and make it a Trek show. Kelsey G already played a Captain in TNG.

They've been on Voyager too! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIeEyDETaHY

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Number_6 posted:

No it's about him going to Gotham to try and rehabilitate his brother Ickabod

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i would literally pay money to see footage of more beauty passes and flybys of that model

camera facing me. i appear to be sitting at the stage of a strip club, smiling and nodding as i lay two dollar bills out on the rack.

camera turns. i am watching a screen displaying footage of the enterprise model. andrew probert is standing to the side, pointing at the screen while wagging his eyebrows :wiggle: like he's going "eh? ehhh?" and i'm all "mmm-hmmmmm" as i continue to put more money down.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

numberoneposter posted:

quark is my favorite DS9 character

He isn't Nog but he is very much up there.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i know to a fact I made a post about Londo's balls but damned if I can find it. Our native search is dogshit

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
im re-watching voyager and iv realized that it's quality is a completely erratic sin curve thats not bound by season like it is for TNG and DS9. you'll get just the worst poo poo you've ever seen on television then suddenly the dad from that 70's show is talking about how time breathes and your like wtf this is owns???

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

star trek was always best when it had some "acting for the back of the room" ex-theater alumni as a guest star

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Dr Bashir is a foot guy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Dr Bashir is a foot piss guy

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

unsure what "Nog Me" refers to but it is loving deviant

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Orville is about as good as Enterprise seasons 1-2, but the good is concentrated in the 13 or 14 episodes per season instead of stretched out interminably.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

betaraywil posted:

Orville is about as good as Enterprise seasons 1-2, but the good is concentrated in the 13 or 14 episodes per season instead of stretched out interminably.

Bullshit. The Orville has better incidental music by far and more likable and better defined characters in general. Plus, no post 9/11 trauma.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Tighclops posted:

Bullshit. The Orville has better incidental music by far and more likable and better defined characters in general. Plus, no post 9/11 trauma.

Yeah on all counts. But the lows are pretty low, and the condensed seasons mean they take up a higher proportion of the real estate.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

betaraywil posted:

Orville is about as good as TNG seasons 5-7.

ftfy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

seth macfarlane tho

i mean i dont hate him but

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

seth macfarlane tho

i mean i dont hate him but

The Orville is basically the one thing I like him in. I'd agree with Betaraywil, and I like Enterprise (mostly)

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Tighclops posted:

post 9/11 trauma.

Oh, poo poo. I hadn't even noticed. The whole xindi-arc tracks pretty 1:1. Except the scary outsiders attacked Florida for some reason :laugh:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Pondex posted:

Except the scary outsiders attacked Florida for some reason :laugh:

That was the upbeat opening to contrast with the darker rest of the season

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the federation couldn't be created as long as the psychic weight of florida was holding humanity back. the xindi weren't the parent of the federation, but they were definitely the midwife.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It never occurred to me at the time, but why the hell did the Xindi test-fire a weapon on their eventual target? Especially since we find out later that they had another prototype that they were testing and shooting at a moon or something.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FlamingLiberal posted:

It never occurred to me at the time, but why the hell did the Xindi test-fire a weapon on their eventual target? Especially since we find out later that they had another prototype that they were testing and shooting at a moon or something.

Because they needed to have their 9/11 attack in the series.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Brannon Braga with another masterstroke of great writing

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the federation couldn't be created as long as the psychic weight of florida was holding humanity back. the xindi weren't the parent of the federation, but they were definitely the midwife.

That beam obliterated Polk County, which honestly is a net positive for the universe.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The Xindi realized that the population of Florida was inversely proportional to humanity's potential.

They saved the galaxy, and the price we paid was. . . well . . . We GOT paid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

That beam obliterated Polk County, which honestly is a net positive for the universe.
Yeah I tend to think that even in 2152 or whatever, it was still bad

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/F98qan7.mp4

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

quite enjoying pick's new "odo.gif"s gimmick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Royal Updog posted:

quite enjoying pick's new "odo .gif"s gimmick

you super need the audio for these

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pick posted:

you super need the audio for these

:hai: my hearing is augmented

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

TOS: Wolf in the fold.

Jack the Ripper was a space-ghost, lmao.

e: come to think of it, TOS loved a good ethereal fog-monster. What was that about?

Pondex fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 5, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It was probably the kind of alien they could do on their budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Scotty is a serial killer and they did what they could to cover for him.