Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Probably already posted this but have heard second hand of weird interactions that could either be awkward or rude.

While I believe this, it's hard to ignore how weird it would be to go about your day, then to be stopped by a stranger, who may be nervous or have high energy, knows everything about you, and throws out some reference or inside joke you made somewhere in your 10 years of podcasting, and wants to talk and take a picture with you. Some comedians like Gabrus, PFT, the My Favorite Murder duo, Mike Mitchell, and I think Hayes Davenport are way more friendly and suited to that kind of interaction. If I saw Ben Rodgers, as much as I like the Action Boyz, I know to never approach or talk to him. Same with, like, Dave Anthony from The Dollop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

The same old same old—"These characters are unlikable", "This is all too vague", "Why would the Engineers want to do this?", etc. Nitpicking the surface level stuff so much that they never got beneath it.

Until I went back and checked the context, I thought this was about Hollywood Handbook.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, why would the engineers want to do HH?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I miss Engineer Jordan on HH.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

While I believe this, it's hard to ignore how weird it would be to go about your day, then to be stopped by a stranger, who may be nervous or have high energy, knows everything about you, and throws out some reference or inside joke you made somewhere in your 10 years of podcasting, and wants to talk and take a picture with you. Some comedians like Gabrus, PFT, the My Favorite Murder duo, Mike Mitchell, and I think Hayes Davenport are way more friendly and suited to that kind of interaction. If I saw Ben Rodgers, as much as I like the Action Boyz, I know to never approach or talk to him. Same with, like, Dave Anthony from The Dollop.

For sure. That poo poo is weird as hell and I don't think I'll ever speak to a podcaster I'm a fan of.

For the record I'm thinking of one anecdote I heard that wasn't that, it was someone who had worked with him -- possibly booked or hired by him? -- spotting him backstage at a show or festival, going up to say hello, and having Scott just turn around and blatantly pretend not to hear them. I heard this years ago before other people started teasing out Scott's personality on podcasts mentioned earlier. Could have been a misunderstanding, could have gone down differently than how it was described to me too. But it kinda tracks.

FWIW I also don't think it's a big deal. Like, I'm never gonna work for him. I just like his show.

WerthersWay posted:

It's really not. There's literally hundreds of funny people competing for every one comedy writing job. "You have to pass an rear end in a top hat test with the showrunner in your interview" or "this is a really small town, word gets around if you suck in a room" aren't just sayings, they're true.

But sure, Sean is a huge rear end in a top hat. And Nick and Mitch actually hate each other, it's not a bit! They want to kill each other because they disagree on fast food opinions.

Having never been in a writer's room I can't really speak with any authority but I get the idea that the main thing is being able to work collaboratively at least in the context of working on a script, and he's had steady writing gigs (I think he's a showrunner now?) so he's probably reasonable to work with. I get the sense that he probably also makes mean jokes that can cut someone to their very core. That might just be projection on my part after he accused one of the engineers of having "the muh-hums"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, why would the engineers want to do HH?

This randomly made me think about the engineer who went on mic when Jimmy Pardo guest hosted a very early CBB and Scott made a point of mentioning she no longer worked there anymore when he got back.

FWIW I think the HH guys were dicks about calling out the engineer who didn't want to be on mic anymore.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I get this. I don't know if I'd approach anyone but if I was on a line and Gabrus or PFT were behind me I'd probably say hi or something. If I saw Ben Rodgers I would be tempted to say something stupid like "Why don't you guys do Terminator 2 on Action Boyz". I love Dave Anthony but wouldn't even risk eye contact. Nor Matt Besser.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Sinteres posted:

This randomly made me think about the engineer who went on mic when Jimmy Pardo guest hosted a very early CBB and Scott made a point of mentioning she no longer worked there anymore when he got back.

FWIW I think the HH guys were dicks about calling out the engineer who didn't want to be on mic anymore.

lol, they cleared that with the engineer ahead of time.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Okay maybe I read it wrong but idk some of the interactions still felt a little like bullying even if they had permission. :shrug: I get the whole bit, and obviously most of the engineers seemed to enjoy the whole thing enough that Cody went on the show even after he left the company and they dunked all over his resignation letter, but it still felt mean to me sometimes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

I get this. I don't know if I'd approach anyone but if I was on a line and Gabrus or PFT were behind me I'd probably say hi or something. If I saw Ben Rodgers I would be tempted to say something stupid like "Why don't you guys do Terminator 2 on Action Boyz". I love Dave Anthony but wouldn't even risk eye contact. Nor Matt Besser.

"Have you guys ever considered doing Scanners?"

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Yeah, Engineer Ryan was okay with it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The Best of Engineer Ryan episode is great, and IIRC Ryan was literally engineering the episode and was cool with it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Franchescanado posted:

I miss Engineer Jordan on HH.

Engineer Jordan's absence is the biggest downside to leaving Earwolf

I'm doing a relisten to the Pro Version episodes and I want to punch whoever recorded the first episode. It's constant lippy smacky noises; it's like they both took down a gallon of buttermilk before recording and the engineer put the microphones inside their teeth. ASMR for Masochists.

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
Hayes and Sean guested on a book podcast to talk about a book they'd previously read together, it's good stuff! There's an aside where Sean says he has a terrible personality which was funny after the conversation in this thread.

https://twitter.com/JulieAbridged/status/1366804959711293447?s=20

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Koholint posted:

Hayes and Sean guested on a book podcast to talk about a book they'd previously read together, it's good stuff! There's an aside where Sean says he has a terrible personality which was funny after the conversation in this thread.

https://twitter.com/JulieAbridged/status/1366804959711293447?s=20

Stopping everything to listen to this right now. Shonk's got good taste in books.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah man before I clicked through I assumed they were discussing a Chandler novel as the main book and got super pumped about my very disparate interests crossing over.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
In a wild twist, some folks from the comedy world seem to indicate that an FBI tweet identifying insurrectionists features Jay Johnston from Mr. Show and the Sarah Silverman show- and don’t sound like they are kidding. Jonah Ray, Dave Anthony, Andrew Ti..

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aw drat. That's gonna make the lie detector sketch a little less fun to watch.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I’m very bummed about this but the story of Everest will live forever

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

also how the gently caress does the fbi not put that together themselves

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
bigger ben stiller show fans im guessing

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This guy says he has a friend who worked on the show, who in turn confirmed it with Jay himself. That’s kinda crummy.

https://twitter.com/kickitupanacho/status/1367693483188883456?s=21

Thanks Obama.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe that explains why Jay Johnston has never been on CBB.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe that explains why Jay Johnston has never been on CBB.

i see folks on twitter posting a 10 year old piece written by Gavin McInnes (in the days before he was openly a nazi) about his good friend Jay Johnston

so yeah people may have seen this coming

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Jimmy pesto really is the worst.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

eke out posted:

i see folks on twitter posting a 10 year old piece written by Gavin McInnes (in the days before he was openly a nazi) about his good friend Jay Johnston

so yeah people may have seen this coming
jay was on his podcast in 2015

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cams posted:

jay was on his podcast in 2015

lol today i learned that gently caress has a podcast. of course he does

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have any smaller improv podcasts they dig? Man Dog Pod is really guving me an itch for more.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have any smaller improv podcasts they dig? Man Dog Pod is really guving me an itch for more.

Man Dog Pod is so much fun. I was really impressed with the scene they did a few weeks ago based on that go-nowhere voicemail story about the high school apple throwing "fight." Given basically nothing to work with and they managed to create this ridiculous mythology in just a few minutes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just rewatched that one a few hours ago! That scene killed me. I love how much the video adds for the Patreon for anyone not on that. It's definitely my favorite podcast at the moment.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Which episode was that?

Edit-It's the Tim Meadows Toni Ramos episode which I apparently stopped halfway through.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 13, 2021

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Can't believe HH finally did a zen den shirt but it doesn't say the doodoo man on it

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

feedmyleg posted:

MDP had Hey Riddle Riddle on a little while back and I was such a fan that I started listening to their pod and it's fantastic. Silly short scenes.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

speaking of improv podcasts...

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Flaskraven posted:

MDP had Hey Riddle Riddle on a little while back and I was such a fan that I started listening to their pod and it's fantastic. Silly short scenes.

I love that it started as a riddle podcast then they realized it was really a improv podcast with riddles. While I wasn't that invested with Adal on Tales from the Magic Tavern he shines on Hey Riddle Riddle.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hell yeah.

I hope they continue doing a weekly show like Exit 42 after its run wraps up in a few weeks, I love how manic those 20 minute scenes get. Every episode has at least one all-time classic Big Grande moment like the Beef Jerky guys deciding to adopt a "Friday Night: Madonna's Here!" promotional strategy after Dan sings a single bar of "Ray of Beef," and Ryan's character in the fireworks stand episode blowing up the Louvre (for a second time,) leading off his explanation of why he did it with "Well, I've always been a crazy guy..."

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

The guest list on this is perfect, hell yeah

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

$10 for four episodes is kind of insane, but I can't say I'm not intrigued.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

From today's How Did This Get Played, I still don't really know what an NFT is but from what they were saying, it seems pretty clear that Wiger and the guest were knowingly promoting a very obvious scam meant to convince regular people to give money to millionaires. I don't know, I just found that intro conversation on the topic to be really weird.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pro-tip: if anyone ever says anything positive about anything crypto related, they're an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

From today's How Did This Get Played, I still don't really know what an NFT is but from what they were saying, it seems pretty clear that Wiger and the guest were knowingly promoting a very obvious scam meant to convince regular people to give money to millionaires. I don't know, I just found that intro conversation on the topic to be really weird.

I first heard about them through this article: How a 10 second video clip was sold for $6.6 million

And here's an article about their ecological dangers: NFTs Are Hot. So Is Their Effect on the Earth’s Climate

It was weird hearing SomethingAwful getting referenced on the episode, too.