Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

The spear I just don't get. It was useful a useful ranged option for 5 minutes until I crafted a bow, but outside of that it's very meh. You attack with it like it's a knife instead of jabbing with it, so its one potential advantage, keeping your distance, is wasted. And yeah, you can throw it. Congrats, now you've pissed off a monster and you aren't holding a weapon. I haven't made one since bronze tier.

The spear's deal is pretty much that it's piercing damage so it's good against trolls (and maybe Lox?). Once being good against trolls without expending arrows stops being something you optimize for, spears remain very mildly relevant in that they cost much less metal than the other weapons, but they're really not competitive in killing poo poo.

The worst thing with throwing your spear is when another player picks it up, doesn't notice, and walks off with it.

boo boo bear posted:

two things: it's also the top tier crop harvester. the secondary attack will clear a field of flax in seconds.

For personal reasons I feel extremely compelled to point out that this does not yield the desired result with carrots and turnips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OwlFancier posted:

Also this is a thing in most games with them, and also IRL, but I wish there was a thing that would make the boat sail translucent, because I can't see a loving thing when I'm driving.

There’s a mod that does this, I think. I’ll see if I can find it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The spear can attack two or three times before most enemies can get one swing off, which often let's you push things into their stagger animation. Then they don't get an attack and take double damage from the next hit.

I don't throw them much but occasionally it's nice while running up on something. I don't throw it when fighting alongside other players though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is animal taming gated in any way? Obviously being able to tank a hit or block it makes luring animals to the pen much safer, but when we early stumbled onto a plains, we nearly managed to kill a Lox before getting overwhelmed, plus we have a harpoon now. Seems like if we had one person distracting the beast while the other fills in the pen, we might get one before we're ready to visit the plains proper.

Second question, do tamed animals go through portals if not, could you corral one onto a ship?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vanadium posted:

spears remain very mildly relevant in that they cost much less metal than the other weapons, but they're really not competitive in killing poo poo.
They really are though.

I have three different characters I've been playing in different worlds. Been mostly using swords and maces with the first two, but with the third one I've been mostly using a spear, and just wrecking poo poo.
Spears attack significantly faster than the other weapons, while the damage per hit is similar. This translates to getting more hits in on staggering enemies before they recover, as well as staggering enemies easier from just the repeated hits. The tradeoff is that they don't have the wide attack arc, but they can still hit more than one enemy if they're clumped up. We're at the swamp tier in this world now, and my ancient bark spear absolutely melts Draugrs.

Yes, their attack animation is silly and makes it easy to miss things (can't hit corpse piles at all, lol), but practice will help with that. The main downside is probably that they don't have that high damage secondary attack (and the throw is only marginally useful), but spears are still a perfectly viable weapon choice.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Has anyone figured out viable way to farm fish?

Fishing itself kinda sucks, but since you can just grab fish if you get close enough and that they'll sometimes swim up shallow rivers makes me think farming is possible. I tried spear fishing and harpooning them but that's a no go.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Grimes posted:

I was gifted a copy of Valheim and I'm on a server with some friends, but I just can't seem to get into it. I don't really enjoy building for the sake of building, so I'm hoping maybe the exploration and combat will win me over? V:unsmith:V

To be fair a lot of Valheim isn't just building for the sake of building but has legitimate gameplay bonuses. Normally things like chairs, rugs, furnature, etc. are all just fashion and glamour options but in Valheim they are critical for improving the stamina recharge bonus you get from being rested. A cool lodge doesn't just look good, it makes you a better Viking!

Still, there are lots of opportunities for cool exploration in Valheim at the moment if you'd rather other people make a base on the server. Go look for burial chambers in the black forest and find copper deposits for other people to mine. Find abandoned buildings with bee hives and bring the queen bees back, everyone will love you. Later on you might want to hop on a ship and look for good biomes to exploit, like swamps with a lot of crypts. Be the trailblazer finding the best spots for others to exploit!

The combat isn't terribly complex but serviceable. The parry system is pretty good and works on literally everything. Learn to parry a troll, amaze your friends!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also couldn't shoot the fish, which is annoying.

Fish farms would be nice though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Woden posted:

Has anyone figured out viable way to farm fish?

Fishing itself kinda sucks, but since you can just grab fish if you get close enough and that they'll sometimes swim up shallow rivers makes me think farming is possible. I tried spear fishing and harpooning them but that's a no go.

I have noticed that sometimes another fish will follow the hooked fish onto land and I can grab it too. I haven't tried flattening a very shallow area next to the ocean; or maybe even building a shallow ramp thing. I wonder if that would result in bigger collaterals.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Minor quibble, but I kind of wish there were swords before bronze tier. Even if a wood or stone sword doesn't make a lot of sense. (not that it stopped minecraft) By the time you get to bronze, you've leveled up other weapons to the point that attacking with a sword does mediocre damage by comparison, so you go back to your trusty axe/club/whatever, meaning the sword falls even further behind. Or maybe just start your sword skill at 20ish, to compensate. You're a viking, you probably stabbed a few things in your time.

Edit: typo

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 4, 2021

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A fun thing to do with a spear is easy fishing for leeches. They just come up to the edge of the water and you throw your spear at them from a few feet away and just run over and pick it up again quick. I easily farmed bloodbags with my flint spear at one point doing that.

An alternative boss 3 strategy:

Build a tree house high up in one of the invincible trees (the ones you can't cut down) near his spawn point. Put a workshop and/or a portal in there and cut a hole in the floor. Summon the boss and run up inside your treehouse. Shoot at the boss through the hole in the floor with frost arrows (bring 100+) while he just blankly stares up at you unable to do much of anything. If he hits you, you probably didn't build it high enough. Hardest thing to do in this strategy is farm the stuff you need for the frost arrows in the mountain biome, but you don't need silver to do it and the drakes are super easy to kill. Just beware of wolves since they will tear you up fast.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The first levels of a weapon go buy pretty fast but the rock-dojo trick at home is nice if you really don't wanna go out swinging with a fresh weapon type.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm the kind of weirdo who wants there to be different kinds of fish to catch depending on the biome and different foods to make using those different varieties. also the occasional rare and cool fish that's hard to find and only appears under specific circumstances but you can make neat trophies out of them. this should take precedence over all else, in my opinion.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
Heading home from exploring for mountains last night, the heaviest fog I have ever seen rolled in. I couldn't see more than a few feet ahead of the boat, so naturally I floored it and used the minimap to steer.

Ended up parked like this:

The dock is on the other side.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm the kind of weirdo who wants there to be different kinds of fish to catch depending on the biome and different foods to make using those different varieties. also the occasional rare and cool fish that's hard to find and only appears under specific circumstances but you can make neat trophies out of them. this should take precedence over all else, in my opinion.

perhaps some sort of beastman nearby who will congratulate me on my catches, give me a little tokens and baubles for my efforts at catching the rarest fish.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Fish farm should completely be an option, it's a smart and relatively easy thing to build in an irl survival situation.

Khanstant posted:

The first levels of a weapon go buy pretty fast but the rock-dojo trick at home is nice if you really don't wanna go out swinging with a fresh weapon type.
tbh, if you're going to go the rock-dojo route just console command your skills to the desired level.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Khanstant posted:

perhaps some sort of beastman nearby who will congratulate me on my catches, give me a little tokens and baubles for my efforts at catching the rarest fish.

absolutely, hell yes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Fish farm should completely be an option, it's a smart and relatively easy thing to build in an irl survival situation.

tbh, if you're going to go the rock-dojo route just console command your skills to the desired level.

I don't agree, the "training dummy" being a rock is a bit silly, but with the way weapon XP is calculated and the way comfort benefits your stamina use, burning excess stamina while you sit around in a base waiting to reload the forge or whatever isn't the same as cheating or instead whacking graylings, which are easier enemies than a rock, but incur much more inventory clutter. Also my rock dojo involved a set of table and chairs I also included in my swings, just because it's fun to bash em and repair em. If training dummies aren't already in the game, it's something I'd expect eventually, along with bullseye hay bales or targets for archery.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Floppychop posted:

Eh, one of the nice things about this game is if building a rock-dojo is fun for you then why not?

I'm still in the Black Forest 27+ hours in because I've spent most of my time loving around and building things.

Found an awesome little spot on a river estuary that splits a 3-way border between meadows, dark forest, and mountains and all I've done since I got my bronze axe is build my viking play house. I'm not even done with that and I'm already making plans on attempting to bridge the river (and start planting!).

This game hits my harvest moon, factory/building/engineering game, and dark soulsy exploration/dread combo itches all at the same time and it's going to ruin my life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A potion of water breathing and sinking would be nice, if only so I could dredge a harbour properly.

E: also make submerged stone go green over time.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

E: also make submerged stone go green over time.

Also felled trees that you don't chop up, imo. The game clearly has old logs, but they all seem to be pre-generated. If you just leave a log sitting in the forest it seems to stay pristine forever. (Whereas leaving a crafting bench outside will have it looking like crap in a few days)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Mod idea: Literally everything is the same, but the unarmed kick has its damage multiplied by 30 and fukking launches poo poo when it connects.

Edit -

Another one: All unarmed attacks are just kicks. Duke soundboard bundled in.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 4, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Warbird posted:

Mod idea: Literally everything is the same, but the unarmed kick has its damage multiplied by 30 and fukking launches poo poo when it connects.

And punches are an uppercut that sends them to the moon on crit.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

xzzy posted:

And punches are an uppercut that sends them to the moon on crit.

Basically star punches from Punch-Out? Sold.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Warbird posted:

Bonus points if your viking points towards the horizon as he winds up

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Does unarmed ever get to be worth a drat? I've been enjoying bringing fight night to the greydwarves.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Echophonic posted:

Does unarmed ever get to be worth a drat? I've been enjoying bringing fight night to the greydwarves.

I don't think so but I love slapping those little shits around.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
They should rework unarmed into generic strength or fitness. Let it rise when you do manual labor, pull things, carry lots of stuff, row and fight. Make it give a bonus to all melee damage with a higher multiplier for two handed weapons.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Try "mrxzzy". :v:

You start on a huge island with plenty of meadows and black forest to explore and it even has a proper mountain biome. The second boss is next to a large swamp with effectively unlimited crypts on the other side of a short boat trip. The merchant is kind of a long trip to get to but you'll see it on the way to the third boss (which is a pretty long journey but we had fun making it).

I did this, will report back with what we come up with!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I can't pull the trigger for the fourth offering. I can't do it :negative:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
If anyone has a Synology NAS (or equivalent) sitting around being used for Plex/sonarr/radarr and wants to throw up a dedicated server on it for a few friends, it's VERY easy to just install the Docker package and copy over your existing world file. The Google VPS method is arguably way better but if you wanted to be very cheap and do it with minimal amount of effort to run a dedicated server for a few friends, this worked very well for me on a Synology DS918+ https://github.com/lloesche/valheim-server-docker

The very bottom of the page has very nice step-by-step pictures of getting it running. Had it up in running in like 15 minutes, even as a total loving idiot when it comes to anything with Docker and didn't really require any command prompt poo poo.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I don't agree, the "training dummy" being a rock is a bit silly, but with the way weapon XP is calculated and the way comfort benefits your stamina use, burning excess stamina while you sit around in a base waiting to reload the forge or whatever isn't the same as cheating or instead whacking graylings, which are easier enemies than a rock, but incur much more inventory clutter. Also my rock dojo involved a set of table and chairs I also included in my swings, just because it's fun to bash em and repair em. If training dummies aren't already in the game, it's something I'd expect eventually, along with bullseye hay bales or targets for archery.

I guess I do stuff like fishing or crop-tending while waiting on the smelter, so I've never thought to use the time for skill xp.

Speaking of servers, is there a goon one running? I'm about to fight the boss on my first world and would be neat to start over on a world with chill dudes.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Floppychop posted:

I guess I do stuff like fishing or crop-tending while waiting on the smelter, so I've never thought to use the time for skill xp.

Speaking of servers, is there a goon one running? I'm about to fight the boss on my first world and would be neat to start over on a world with chill dudes.

There are a few over here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959626

note that you can transfer your character (including inventory and stats) freely between servers, so you could beat the boss, load up on supplies, then port over and not have to start over from scratch. boss difficulty apparently scales with number of players within a certain distance of the boss, and the world in general gets more difficult (in terms of random mobs spawning and attacking your camps) depending on, if i recall correctly, how many bosses have been beaten in that server.. so if youve already got a character that has beaten the first boss, there are probably more reasons to bring it over than to start fresh

boofhead fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 4, 2021

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
I am a bit of a mediocre casual player who usually does not like those building games anyways. I had a lot of fun dicking around in the meadows and help building Goonheim1 and Goonheim2 though, so I stuck around and in the black forest biome then got turned into paste on a regular basis by trolls and greydwarf brutes because why parry or use a bow, right? Ok lessons learned, I just finished prepping for the swamp biome and just built my first own outpost with a portal and run around with upgraded trollhide gear and a bronze buckler etc.

But between that was a phase where I had to travel longer and longer distances and since I don't play that much a loss of equipment and ship was a total desaster for me. What actually kept me in the game was the mod Gravekeeper ( https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/65 ) which with basic settings simply turns off equipment loss and no gravestone is generated anymore. You wake up at your spawn with your complete inventory. Works with local servers aswell as on online servers, does not interfere with other players, so far no bugs for me and I can recommend it to anyone with my playing habits. 10 minutes unpacking 2 archives and copying the files into the correct place and it works out of the box.

Gone are the days of naked corpse runs with 25 hp and touching a dangerous biome oh gently caress dead again where was the grave with my gear again?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

haldolium posted:

thanks to the goons suggesting to terraform the swamp. Took me a while, but it makes raiding 6+ tombs so much easier

What do you mean to "terraform the swamp"? I just got to the Swamp in my progression. I have built my new main base a little bit outside of it in a pleasant meadow.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Zesty posted:

What do you mean to "terraform the swamp"? I just got to the Swamp in my progression. I have built my new main base a little bit outside of it in a pleasant meadow.

The swamp is full of little disconnected paths and islands with shallow water (filled with leeches) everywhere. Using the hoe to smooth the terrain and raise bridges across the water makes cart travel possible, which makes getting iron in useful quantities possible. It is absolutely worth your time to build those roads and set up shelters to recover the rested buff (I build them up in the big trees and plop a fire underneath them).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It looks pretty neat too. A flimsy road snaking onwards into the swamp.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dogboy posted:

I am a bit of a mediocre casual player who usually does not like those building games anyways. I had a lot of fun dicking around in the meadows and help building Goonheim1 and Goonheim2 though, so I stuck around and in the black forest biome then got turned into paste on a regular basis by trolls and greydwarf brutes because why parry or use a bow, right? Ok lessons learned, I just finished prepping for the swamp biome and just built my first own outpost with a portal and run around with upgraded trollhide gear and a bronze buckler etc.

But between that was a phase where I had to travel longer and longer distances and since I don't play that much a loss of equipment and ship was a total desaster for me. What actually kept me in the game was the mod Gravekeeper ( https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/65 ) which with basic settings simply turns off equipment loss and no gravestone is generated anymore. You wake up at your spawn with your complete inventory. Works with local servers aswell as on online servers, does not interfere with other players, so far no bugs for me and I can recommend it to anyone with my playing habits. 10 minutes unpacking 2 archives and copying the files into the correct place and it works out of the box.

Gone are the days of naked corpse runs with 25 hp and touching a dangerous biome oh gently caress dead again where was the grave with my gear again?

This is cool. My friend played when I couldn't last night and got repeatedly wrecked, he was sending me frantic messages about the base somehow being destroyed by trolls then draugr (no swamp biome on island so that confused me) . This should help him a lot

edit logged in, what a disaster. we'd previously lost to a multi troll raid when one spawned behind us and killed us , no big deal, this time the spikes outside are gone, the staked wall gone, the portals gone, components missing, including my good gear that was in chests. hopefully he picked it all up and didnt realize. guess i gotta build stone walls instead since he couldnt handle a troll

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 4, 2021

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I feel like my seed is pretty awesome, at least for the first three bosses, so here it is: 9a6xEFJmfb

Map

I placed my initial base on a Meadows coast between two small BF biomes. I'm just about to start relocating it to the bottom of the island to the east around the maypole. There's a Draugr zombie town nearby so you can get sausages early on if you beeline to that location at the start. There's a shitton of copper/tin/iron on the nearby islands, next to or on the coasts. The island that I marked with all the crypts have a very handy nearly intact stone tower that you can easily convert to a Swamp outpost.

The merchant is a bit off on a western island, next to a tiny treacherous patch of Plains. I've been chased by roaming goblins a few times :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Anyone notice a lot of Asheron's Call in this game - particularly the portals?

Easiest thing to do is build a portal network, or a hub in an extremely safe location. Every base has a portal to & from the hub and one or two other far away places in that direction, allowing you to get almost anywhere in 2 hops.