Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW Dynamite 3/3

MOTYC: Shaq & Jade Cargill vs. Cody Rhodes & Red Velvet
HM: FTR & Tully Blanchard vs. Jurassic Express
MOTYC: Nyla Rose vs. Ryo Mizunami, AEW Women's Championship Eliminator Tournament Finals
HM: "Hangman" Adam Page & John Silver vs. Matt Hardy & Mark Quen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
MOTYC: Jade Cargill & Shaquille O'Neal vs Red Velvet & Cody Rhodes
HM: FTR & Tully Blanchard vs Jurassic Express
MOTYC: Nyla Rose vs Ryo Mizunami
HM: Hangmin & Hungiee vs Big Money Inc

All from AEW Dynamite 03.03

If you look at it from a pure match quality perspective that first match was probably closer to a HM, but given that one team consisted of two people who had (to my knowledge) literally never wrestled a match before it means that it was clearly the best laid out and agented match that I've ever seen, and as such a literal gold standard which makes it must-see. Also it retroactively justified all those long months of buildup segments.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Cody Rhodes and Red Velvet vs. Shaquille O'Neal and Jade Cargill - AEW Dynamite 3/3

Technically it might have been a mess but they booked and executed this thing so incredibly beautifully it doesn't matter, just a pure joy of a match to watch.

Nth. Exactly how you do a celebrity match.

Punch McLightning posted:

MOTYC: Ryo Mizunami vs. Nyla Rose in the Final of the AEW Women's World Championship Eliminator Tournament - AEW Dynamite 3/3

the real poo poo here

Nth. Aniki is just loving awesome.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Cody Rhodes/Red Velvet vs. Shaquille O'Neal/Jade Cargill, AEW Dynamite, 03/03
HM: Jurassic Express vs. FTR/Tully Blanchard, AEW Dynamite, 03/03
MOTYC: Nyla Rose vs. Ryo Mizunami, AEW Dynamite, 03/03
HM: Hangman Page/John Silver vs. Matt Hardy/Marq Quen, AEW Dynamite, 03/03

Was gonna go HM on Shaq but you've alll sold me on MOTYC. The fact it would be an HM by normal standards makes it an easy MOTYC by celebrity match standards

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Cody Rhodes/Red Velvet vs. Shaquille O'Neal/Jade Cargill, AEW Dynamite, 03/03
HM: Jurassic Express vs. FTR/Tully Blanchard, AEW Dynamite, 03/03
MOTYC: Nyla Rose vs. Ryo Mizunami, AEW Dynamite, 03/03
HM: Hangman Page/John Silver vs. Matt Hardy/Marq Quen, AEW Dynamite, 03/03

Was gonna go HM on Shaq but you've alll sold me on MOTYC. The fact it would be an HM by normal standards makes it an easy MOTYC by celebrity match standards

I survived!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh yeah

HM: 10 vs. Max Caster, AEW Dynamite, 03/03

These two guys were discovered on Dark in the last year and now they put on a neat little showcase on TV and I think that really shows how well AEW's development system is working

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
HM: Tetsuya Naito vs Great O-Khan NJPW Anniversary Show 04.03

Wouldn't have thought it going in, but this ended up being really good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cerebral Bore posted:

I thought it would be good, but not that good! 2nded!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Agreed it ruled.

Njpw anniversary show 4/3
Motyc: great okhan v naito

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

Oh yeah

HM: 10 vs. Max Caster, AEW Dynamite, 03/03

These two guys were discovered on Dark in the last year and now they put on a neat little showcase on TV and I think that really shows how well AEW's development system is working

Yeah, I'll Nth this. It's not too long ago that 10 was background muscle for Mr Brodie, but he has developed well, his chemistry with -1 is awesome, and he and Caster did a really good job together.

it feels like ever since the Brodie tribute show, where 10 had to step into a face role in the main event, he's realised that he has a huge opportunity if he does the work and takes things seriously. I've been very impressed.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 3/3

HM: FTR & Tully Blanchard vs. Jurassic Express
MOTYC: Nyla Rose vs. Ryo Mizunami, AEW Women's Championship Eliminator Tournament Finals
HM: "Hangman" Adam Page & John Silver vs. Matt Hardy & Mark Quen

Seconded on all counts

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs El Desperado NJPW Anniversary Show 03.03

Our God is not a merciful God.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Was gonna say HM but the last few minutes were just so insanely loving cool that I have to Nth the MOTYC.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Agree but I wish people would stop doing leg work on Ibushi cos he's never going to sell it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Agree but I wish people would stop doing leg work on Ibushi cos he's never going to sell it

That doesn't work for him, brother.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I mean, have you seen the man's thighs?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Eat My Fuc posted:

I survived!

gently caress I forgot about your toxx, I should have lied :negative:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

gently caress I forgot about your toxx, I should have lied :negative:

Rude

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

AEW Dynamite 3/3

HM: FTR & Tully Blanchard vs. Jungle Express

I considered making Shaq an HM, but I honestly think this might be the best celebrity wrestling match I've ever seen. Shaq had a couple of cool spots, the focus was on Jade and Velvet, and Shaq went through a goddamn table at the end. I had almost no interest in this match before it happened and was completely blown away.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I'll Nth the HM for Naito/GOK and the MOTYC for Ibushi/Despy

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Fancy Hat posted:

AEW Dynamite 3/3

I considered making Shaq an HM, but I honestly think this might be the best celebrity wrestling match I've ever seen. Shaq had a couple of cool spots, the focus was on Jade and Velvet, and Shaq went through a goddamn table at the end. I had almost no interest in this match before it happened and was completely blown away.

Nth to this.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

AEW Dynamite 3/3

nth

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Tetsuya Naito vs. The Great Okhan, NJPW Anniversary Show, 04/03
MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs. El Desperado, NJPW Anniversary Show, 04/03

So psyched to see Despy delivering again in the spotlight and goddam Kota is easily in the lead for best wrestler of 2021, he's killing it in this title run so far

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Whoever was the agent for this match deserves at least a 30% raise, Shaq did his best Andre the Giant impression and somehow that spectacle didn't diminish either woman in the ring, one of whom was making her in ring debut as well. I have no idea how this match worked but it did.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Rarity posted:

HM: Tetsuya Naito vs. The Great Okhan, NJPW Anniversary Show, 04/03
MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs. El Desperado, NJPW Anniversary Show, 04/03

So psyched to see Despy delivering again in the spotlight and goddam Kota is easily in the lead for best wrestler of 2021, he's killing it in this title run so far

nth

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NJPW 49th Anniversary March 4th
MOTYC

Kota Ibushi vs El Desperado
- The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he was becoming God, before cruelly tearing down the facade by putting his knee through a homeboy's skull.

HM
Tetsuya Naito vs Great O-Khan
- This was the best GOK match I've seen, such a great final stretch.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Jade Cargill & Shaquille O'Neal vs Red Velvet & Cody Rhodes
HM: FTR & Tully Blanchard vs Jurassic Express
MOTYC: Nyla Rose vs Ryo Mizunami
HM: Hangmin & Hungiee vs Big Money Inc

All from AEW Dynamite 03.03

If you look at it from a pure match quality perspective that first match was probably closer to a HM, but given that one team consisted of two people who had (to my knowledge) literally never wrestled a match before it means that it was clearly the best laid out and agented match that I've ever seen, and as such a literal gold standard which makes it must-see. Also it retroactively justified all those long months of buildup segments.

Nth

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Y'all are really freaking me out, since I thought the Shaq tag was a respectable 1 1/2 star match, and I think I generally rate AEW high.

Anyway:

HM: BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi vs. Master Wato & SHO, NJPW Road to New Beginning Night 1, Jan 17

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Y'all are really freaking me out, since I thought the Shaq tag was a respectable 1 1/2 star match, and I think I generally rate AEW high.

I don't feel like I understand enough of the technical aspects of wrestling (what's difficult, what's not, how a match should be structured etc) so I'm rating entirely from the gut. HM means I'd show it to friends who like the promotion. MOTYC means I'd tell anyone who likes wrestling that they need to see it.

I think booking a match such that Shaq is fun to watch and goes through a table without injuring himself, while also making Red Velvet continue to look great, while also giving a solid debut to Jade, while also being the first (I think?) intergender tag* on Dynamite is enough that I've already told my wrestling pals that they need to watch it. It was all about the spectacle and, as others have said, the excellent booking and planning that went into the match.

*does a tag match count as intergender if they manage the tags so it's always man v man and woman v woman? I think we've had more actual intergender wrestling from Penelope Ford interfering in Kip's matches.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lmao at thinking things in star ratings rather than going "was this cool as hell? y/n/hm"

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i have nominated probably dozens of matches people would describe as 1 1/2 star matches and hell, im right

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sometimes I rate things based on "this was worked very well but I didn't quite feel it" and sometimes I rate things on "this was sloppy as gently caress but hell yeah"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

karmicknight posted:

Lmao at thinking things in star ratings rather than going "was this cool as hell? y/n/hm"

Star ratings cover most everything within that metric anyway. There's a few exceptions, usually with comedy matches but you can still give them their due.

But generally I think there's value with differentiating between "this is a good TV match" and this is a good big match, but then I'm a big loving dork who has kept a spreadsheet with ratings for every wrestling match I've seen this year so YMMV.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The best way to rate a match is "how much of this match did I spend on the edge of my figurative seat" and by that metric, Shaq and Jade vs Cody and Velvet gets a 4/5, with an extra .5 added because I went HOLY poo poo when Shaq did the table bump.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How it works for me is that a HM is a match that you should watch if you have the time and a MOTYC is a match you should make time to watch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

karmicknight posted:

I thought of it as ****1/4, AKA "The cool zone." You may have heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Shaq took one of the best table bumps I've seen in years. If that's not worth at least an HM I dunno.