Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is there a good entry film for Guy Maddin’s work? The premise of The Green Fog intrigues me, but I hear his work can be difficult due to the experimentation.

If you know enough about The Green Fog to be intrigued, I think you're good. His most well-known is My Winniepeg. The "Directed By Guy Maddin Collection" has a 22 minute interview with him as an introduction if you want a primer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I've only seen The Forbidden Room and The Saddest Music in the World, neither of them are Criterion but I enjoyed them both.

If I had to recommend one, I'd say Saddest Music? Possibly just because I like Mark McKinney and Isabella Rossellini. It's also fairly straightforward.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Franchescanado posted:

His most well-known is My Winniepeg.

I went to check this out as a start and it's not available in Canada. This is a special kind of pain.

Calamity Brain fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 25, 2022

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I watched The Young Girls of Rochefort on HBO Max's TMC collection and absolutely loved it. Put on Umbrellas of Cherbourg immediately after and was not nearly as into that one. Are any of Demy's other films as immaculately color blocked as Rochefort is? I'm planning on grabbing a blu of it now, but they also have a big box set and I'm a sucker for wasting money so...

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Stan Taylor posted:

I watched The Young Girls of Rochefort on HBO Max's TMC collection and absolutely loved it. Put on Umbrellas of Cherbourg immediately after and was not nearly as into that one. Are any of Demy's other films as immaculately color blocked as Rochefort is? I'm planning on grabbing a blu of it now, but they also have a big box set and I'm a sucker for wasting money so...

Donkey Skin comes to mind.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

LionYeti posted:

Whats the next Kurosawa to watch after Hidden Fortess, Seven Samurai and Rashomon?

Replies so far are correct. Then Ran. Personal favorites of mine are The Lower Depths (small but sweet) and Dersu Uzala (very different from the rest of his work, like a forest expedition).

DetoxP posted:

I'm literally in Winnipeg.

what up :hfive:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Sorry for this bit of self-fellation, but a short film I worked on is up on the Criterion Channel: The Moon and the Night

I worked on it as the gaffer, the person on set who's the crew lead in charge of electrical distribution and lighting. Watch it and hopefully enjoy. If anyone has any questions about how we made it, what it's like shooting a film in Hawaii, etc., feel free to ask.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I bought the Rebel Samurai DVD set but none of the discs included have essay booklets, despite them being listed on the back of the cases. I already own the standalone Samurai Rebellion release and that includes a booklet. Does the box set just not have them for some reason or did I get an incomplete one?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stan Taylor posted:

If you want a devil's advocate: Young Girls of Rochefort is 1/3 of the price of the box set, and the box set is great. I love Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Lola, haven't gotten around to Donkey Skin, Bay of Angels or Une Chambre en Vile, but it's 6 movies at $14-16 a piece, depending on where you buy it. Actually, it's more than six films, cuz you get four of Demy's short films, two feature-length Agnes Varda documentaries, a bunch of interviews, a few visual essays, and restoration processes for four of the films.

I bought it last November and it's been a great box to go through.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The best entry point for Guy Maddin is The Heart of the World:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4JmeXXRmZg

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:siren: OOP alert :siren:

Criterion just lost a handful of Paramount titles. These are all now listed as OOP on the Criterion website:

Rosemary's Baby
Don't Look Now
Nashville
La dolce vita (still in Fellini set)
Days of Heaven
Harold and Maude

You might wanna buy these right this second if you were holding out. I just grabbed Don't Look Now and Nashville on B&N. Full price... :( Luckily I already have Rosemary's Baby, Days of Heaven and Harold and Maude.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i heard The Friends of Eddie Coyle (aka the best movie in the Criterion collection) is on that list too

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i heard The Friends of Eddie Coyle (aka the best movie in the Criterion collection) is on that list too

It's not official on the website, at least, but it does say Currently Unvailable. Another one that's constantly unavailable as of late is In A Lonely Place.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Criterion just lost a handful of Paramount titles. These are all now listed as OOP on the Criterion website:

Rosemary's Baby
Don't Look Now
Nashville
Days of Heaven
Harold and Maude

You might wanna buy these right this second if you were holding out. I just grabbed Don't Look Now and Nashville on B&N. Full price... :( Luckily I already have Rosemary's Baby, Days of Heaven and Harold and Maude.

I basically have all of those except LDV (since I'm gonna get the Fellini box at some point) and Friends of Eddie Coyle (which I wanted but didn't get). I don't know if I want to get it for full price :smith:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Rosemary's Baby
Don't Look Now
Nashville
Days of Heaven
Harold and Maude

I grabbed Nashville and Days of Heaven at full price, but I got an okay-ish price on Harold & Maude. Not too worried about the rest (I have the Fellini box for LDV).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This has me worried about the Fellini set, which I still need to buy. Can a set containing an OOP film stay in print?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wonder if this has anything to do with the Paramount+ rebranding.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Eh, gently caress it, bought Friends of Eddie Coyle for full price on B&N.

EDIT:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wonder if this has anything to do with the Paramount+ rebranding.

Paramount's doing its own releases for the stuff they took back.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gotta rebuy DoH pronto, gave my copy to someone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I should have waited to sell my copy of Days of Heaven.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The last few times I'd been in the store there were no copies, so I assumed it was on its way out. I think criterion's had it in print for more than a decade now.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So to mitigate the risk of experiencing godawful FOMO by missing out on the Fellini set, I went ahead and ordered it. I had a $15 Amazon gift card so I only paid about $35 more than I would have during a sale. I can now sleep tonight.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Sold out everywhere. At least I have Rosemary's Baby and Days of Heaven. I'm really kicking myself for not getting Nashville when I had the chance.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Macrame_God posted:

Sold out everywhere. At least I have Rosemary's Baby and Days of Heaven. I'm really kicking myself for not getting Nashville when I had the chance.

barnesandnoble.com is still showing Nashville as in stock.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Spatulater bro! posted:

barnesandnoble.com is still showing Nashville as in stock.

Oh my God, thank you! :)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
ffffffffffffffffuck, B+N is deciding to not ship to Australia again for whatever reason, and Days of Heaven is off of DeepDiscount.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

So to mitigate the risk of experiencing godawful FOMO by missing out on the Fellini set, I went ahead and ordered it. I had a $15 Amazon gift card so I only paid about $35 more than I would have during a sale. I can now sleep tonight.

It's a big box, but man is it cool. Don't forget we have a Fellini thread now, if you wanna talk about the movies in depth.

Macrame_God posted:

I had Nashville in my cart during the Criterion flash sale, and I took it out for Diabolique instead. Fool that I am, had to pay full price for Nashville, but I got it.

I got FOMO on Harold & Maude and was gonna wait a day or two to buy it, but I got anxious and bought it anyway. Checked this morning and it's already sold out.

More money than I wanted to spend, but gently caress it.

Don't Look Now, as Egbert pointed out, has already been put on UHD in a big too-expensive special edition set, so I assume that and Rosemary's Baby will probably get a standard 4k UHD sometime soon through Paramount.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Feel a little guilty that after having gotten a few things in the half off sale I just bought a criterion at full price (have I ever done that before? jeeze) a week later, but I've been going "oh I'll get it next time" on Days of Heaven since I started getting them. Hopefully the Fellini set stays in print and I don't have to feel bad about about not biting on La Dolce Vita too.

Scones are Good fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 4, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Wait, Days of Heaven and Nashville are out of print? Holy poo poo do I feel lucky. Now I'm worried I might wear out my copy of Nashville from overuse, I must've watched it 4 or 5 times already just in the 18 months or so that I've had it.

What do these out of print Criterions typically go for? Does Criterion normally bring them back at some point down the line?

Edit: Oh I see they actually lost the rights. That makes it seem unlikely they'll get them back any time soon. Man I dodged a bullet on that one because Nashville and Don't Look Now are two of my favorites in my collection.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Wait, Days of Heaven and Nashville are out of print? Holy poo poo do I feel lucky. Now I'm worried I might wear out my copy of Nashville from overuse, I must've watched it 4 or 5 times already just in the 18 months or so that I've had it.

What do these out of print Criterions typically go for? Does Criterion normally bring them back at some point down the line?

Edit: Oh I see they actually lost the rights. That makes it seem unlikely they'll get them back any time soon. Man I dodged a bullet on that one because Nashville and Don't Look Now are two of my favorites in my collection.

Chungking Express criterion blu-ray goes anywhere from $145-$300 on ebay. The higher end is for unopened copies. I dunno if the demand for these OOP will be that high, though. We'll see! I was tempted to buy a 2nd copy of Nashville or Days of Heaven to turn around for a profit, but I just never feel great about contributing to that kinda thing.

edit: I may swing by B&N to grab a copy of Don't Look Now if the Criterion edition is that great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I blind bought Don't Look Now so I've only ever watched the Criterion edition, but to my eyes it looks fantastic. At least with Don't Look Now there has been another blu ray release recently so you have options. With Nashville the only other options are DVD and region 2, for those with region free players.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

edit: I may swing by B&N to grab a copy of Don't Look Now if the Criterion edition is that great.

I don't have anything to compare it to as it's the only version of the film I've ever seen, but I think it looks great and it has a bunch of special features

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've only seen Don't Look Now on streaming. If I don't get it, it's fine, I guess. Paramount's been putting interesting things on 4k UHD recently, like My Fair Lady and The Ten Commandments, and I think Don't Look Now with HDR and Dolby Vision would be amazing. Just getting itchy with FOMO.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I try to buy catalog releases right away if I think I might want them because there's definitely reason to worry that they could go out of print quickly. Or like that Columbia Classics set, I assumed within a year or so there would be a standalone release for all those movies but it never happened and now the set sells for full price at $249. Luckily I picked it up on release due to my obsession with Lawrence of Arabia and at that time I was able to get a much better preorder price.

There was a similar situation with a Jack Ryan UHD set, where Hunt for Red October got a standalone release but I'm still waiting for Clear and Present Danger and Patriot Games.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I try to buy catalog releases right away if I think I might want them because there's definitely reason to worry that they could go out of print quickly. Or like that Columbia Classics set, I assumed within a year or so there would be a standalone release for all those movies but it never happened and now the set sells for full price at $249. Luckily I picked it up on release due to my obsession with Lawrence of Arabia and at that time I was able to get a much better preorder price.

There was a similar situation with a Jack Ryan UHD set, where Hunt for Red October got a standalone release but I'm still waiting for Clear and Present Danger and Patriot Games.

Yeah, every week I plan to get the Hitchcock 4k set, and every week something else takes away my blu-ray budget for that week.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Thanks for the heads up. I've been meaning to get Nashville at each half off sale and put it off. So I just got it for full price :negative:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think Nashville has been a good seller for Criterion, so hopefully, Paramount gives it another release.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Franchescanado posted:

Chungking Express criterion blu-ray goes anywhere from $145-$300 on ebay. The higher end is for unopened copies. I dunno if the demand for these OOP will be that high, though. We'll see!

I have both a DVD and Blu ray of The Third Man (both are opened), it doesn't look like the DVD goes for much but the blu is definitely in the 3 figure range. Not that I'll ever sell that one, mind you.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I've got all of those Paramount releases, though admittedly my Rosemary's Baby Blu has been cracked for a while, so I just pulled the trigger and bought it at B&N for full price. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I just want a criterion bluray of Hard Boiled is that too much to ask?