Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Gone is the days of reliable mostly fine sub $2k cars.
Bar is around 5k or better now.

I was going to try and refute this using the 4cyl 1998+ Ranger as an argument but... no, you're right. Holy gently caress prices have climbed since I bought (2011, $2300) / sold (2014, $2500) my '98. Certainly needed a lot of parts thrown at it over the years, but rarely anything that was going to cause a "stranded" issue, and I've never seen anything with parts as cheap as a Ranger. Only failure that ever had that could have left me stuck was when I replaced a leaky water pump with one that cracked less than 100 miles later.

But now trucks in similar condition to how I sold that truck, are asking $3500-4000 on CL and FBM, and "similar condition" probably means at least $500 worth of cheap-rear end parts that the truck could use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just got a mystery direct deposit from my former employer after i've been unemployed for 6+ months? hope they didnt rehire me and forgot to tell me

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Alarbus posted:

Sure, but if you stop in Louisville you can hopefully find some good bourbon, and/or stay at a fun hotel for a night or two.

Yup, Louisville is pretty cool, with a surprisingly decent food scene/options. My wife lived there for a bit, and the distillery tours are definitely a fun way to spend a few hours.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BraveUlysses posted:

just got a mystery direct deposit from my former employer after i've been unemployed for 6+ months? hope they didnt rehire me and forgot to tell me

Probably an audit that found they owed you money. I had that happen from a job I walked off of in college. Goddamn that was like manna from heaven.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

Your TPS reports are really fuckin late

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was going to try and refute this using the 4cyl 1998+ Ranger as an argument but... no, you're right. Holy gently caress prices have climbed since I bought (2011, $2300) / sold (2014, $2500) my '98. Certainly needed a lot of parts thrown at it over the years, but rarely anything that was going to cause a "stranded" issue, and I've never seen anything with parts as cheap as a Ranger. Only failure that ever had that could have left me stuck was when I replaced a leaky water pump with one that cracked less than 100 miles later.

But now trucks in similar condition to how I sold that truck, are asking $3500-4000 on CL and FBM, and "similar condition" probably means at least $500 worth of cheap-rear end parts that the truck could use.

This reminds me that mine's wandering again, and needs all new control arms up front.

Blegh.

Plus that time the engine seized on the highway due to lack of oil (oil was added and it was restarted).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coredump posted:

Looks at $1800 Miata nervously.
Looks at $600 Fit very nervously before starting a clutch/transmission job.

Though IMO it's going to a pretty nice car with relatively low mileage once that one thing is fixed.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Herniated discs suck. I was moving things between storage units last night and I had stop not because I was too tired or ran out of time, but instead I ran out of spine and the muscle relaxers were wearing off.

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks at $600 Fit very nervously before starting a clutch/transmission job.

Though IMO it's going to a pretty nice car once that one thing is fixed.

I wanted a 2nd gen Fit in sport trim and manual really bad but couldn't find any in a decent price/condition when I was looking for one. Ended up with an Element because I toss a bike in the back and leave it there. Some days I still want a fit though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

RIP Paul Walker posted:

FWIW, the timing belt on that is easy as gently caress. Like, so easy you’ll be amazed.

I know, I already looked it up. :v: It's SOHC Honda territory, except without removing a motor mount.

I'm a bit nervous about the timing belt as it is now, between age (not mileage... it has <35k on it) and the front crank seal pissing. That and it's a Gates kit (or at least whoever did it slapped a Gates sticker on the timing cover), so the idlers and tensioner are suspect right off the bat.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah STR said his budget for another car is 5k so gently caress it, get rid of the Subaru

I mean, $5k will be pushing it a bit (and won't happen for at least a few weeks), and I'm hoping to wind up in another Subaru wagon. Just either newer or in better shape. Imprezas go for $tupid amount$ for some reason (even non-turbo), mostly eying early to mid 00s Foresters and Outbacks. I could do a Legacy wagon if one popped up, but those are pretty drat rare.

I could still do manual if I need to, but with how physical my job is, it's nice to just get in the car and aim it toward home.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Trucks are a bad example. New trucks have tripled in price since then, so of course the used ones have gone up. In 1998 you could go to the dealer of choice and drive a new full size off the lot for $15k. Try that today for $45k. You can order something regular cab, 2wd, white for less, but they are pretty rare to be in stock, unless its a fleet dealer and even then its $30k.

If you want a reliable beater for $2500 you can still get a sedan.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dear Audi: please either educate your drivers that your cars have a REAR fog light that WILL come on when they turn on the front fog lights to look cool, and annoy the ever living gently caress out of everyone less than a mile behind them, or just remove the goddamned things, since no on in the US knows what they are or how they are use.
Thanks.

edit: holy gently caress, the GroverTruk has a banner ad.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Darchangel posted:

Dear Audi: please either educate your drivers that your cars have a REAR fog light that WILL come on when they turn on the front fog lights to look cool, and annoy the ever living gently caress out of everyone less than a mile behind them, or just remove the goddamned things, since no on in the US knows what they are or how they are use.
Thanks.

What is a rear fog light for? Ostensibly you turn it on in low-visibility conditions. But what does it do that your regular tail lights don't? Was I wrong to have it on that one time I drove across Finland in heavy snow at night?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

I know, I already looked it up. :v: It's SOHC Honda territory, except without removing a motor mount.

I'm a bit nervous about the timing belt as it is now, between age (not mileage... it has <35k on it) and the front crank seal pissing. That and it's a Gates kit (or at least whoever did it slapped a Gates sticker on the timing cover), so the idlers and tensioner are suspect right off the bat.

It’s even easier than that, it’s so accessible and the marks are so easy. So easy.

Also, you may find that the front main seal isn’t contaminating the timing belt. The cover is easy to pull to confirm. Does it make any noise from the timing belt area that concerns you?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

What is a rear fog light for? Ostensibly you turn it on in low-visibility conditions. But what does it do that your regular tail lights don't? Was I wrong to have it on that one time I drove across Finland in heavy snow at night?
It's Really loving Bright.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Darchangel posted:

Thanks.

It's worst than that, the controls for the lights require you to pull the selector to turn on the fogs. First detente is the forward fog lights, second detente is the rear fog light. Most drivers probably just pull on it all the way and are oblivious as to why two separate lights turned on on the dash.

They're a nice feature but definitely should have their own dedicated button or more obvious switch position as I've never seen anyone use them properly either.

E: yeah, they're super bright to cut through the fog, typically it's one red lamp on one side of the vehicle so you don't confuse it with the brake light indicating braking.

I've used it in whiteout conditions mostly, we don't typically see heavy fog in the prairies.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 4, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

It's much brighter so gives you more time and distance to see the car in front of you and slow down

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Thanks.

edit: holy gently caress, the GroverTruk has a banner ad.

Huh? My Q7 at least doesn't have that....

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Safety Dance posted:

That's an appropriate use. This was a clear night in Texas.

Krakkles posted:

It's Really loving Bright.

This. Like brake light bright, plus, but on *all the time*.

edit:

CommieGIR posted:

This Q7 (or maybe Q5. I couldn't read the nameplate, as there was an incredibly bright red light glaring in my face) did. I knew it was an Ah-oodi CUV from the LED taillight shapes. The rear fogs are down in the bumper.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 4, 2021

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

CommieGIR posted:

It should. They're typically integrated into the rear taillight. Set your headlight switch to either park lights or low beams, then pull the switch out until you feel it click into the second detente, that'll be the rear fog. Typically it'll show as an amber coloured fog light indicator on the dash, with the forward fog lights beyond a green indicator.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

It should. They're typically integrated into the rear taillight. Set your headlight switch to either park lights or low beams, then pull the switch out until you feel it click into the second detente, that'll be the rear fog. Typically it'll show as an amber coloured fog light indicator on the dash, with the forward fog lights beyond a green indicator.

Its also a 2010, so maybe it predated that, because nothing is lighting up

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Definitely should, looks like it should be on the little thin red lamps mounted in the bumper where the reverse lights are on that model.

E: in this part, pic shamelessly taken from a screenshot of another forum

Didn't think it would be packaged as an option but maybe :shrug: even the Toureg looks to have it from when it came out.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 4, 2021

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've whined about that poo poo before. NOBODY in the US knows it's there or what it is, just remove them for US cars.

Though I was blown away one time I actually got next to a guy who had his on, got his attention and told him his rear fog was on (in clear weather). He actually apologized and turned it off, said it was a dealer loaner and didn't realize it was on.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

They're completely uninspiring, but frustratingly competent.

Maybe for once the sensible option is the sensible option?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Definitely should, looks like it should be on the little thin red lamps mounted in the bumper where the reverse lights are on that model.

So there is, I thought those only lit up if the trunk was open.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
STR a 96k mile Matrix you already own is the smart answer, I say wistfully gazing upon my backyard with some of the most bizarre cars you can imagine. But I also understand wanting to be more comfortable.

And Elviscat what is this magic pill that will make me happy? I go to the doctor next week if anyone has a suggestion on something for anxiety or mental health I will research and ask about. I am on nothing now, my choice, to see how it would go for 6 weeks. Not going so good

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm determined to rehab the 4000 Quattro this year, I really want to enjoy driving a manual again.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

everdave posted:

STR a 96k mile Matrix you already own is the smart answer, I say wistfully gazing upon my backyard with some of the most bizarre cars you can imagine. But I also understand wanting to be more comfortable.

And Elviscat what is this magic pill that will make me happy? I go to the doctor next week if anyone has a suggestion on something for anxiety or mental health I will research and ask about. I am on nothing now, my choice, to see how it would go for 6 weeks. Not going so good

I've tried Effexor and Lexapro thus far. Effexor helped a lot with mood and dark thoughts but I switched off it for fear it was adding to insomnia. I went to Lexapro as it was suppose to have less of an effect on insomnia but I've gained a bunch of weight on it. This website pops up when trying to read about differences between them: https://www.singlecare.com/blog/effexor-vs-lexapro/

My biggest thing is I want to be able to sleep at night. We've tried Trazadone, Lunestra, and now Rozerem and nothing is touching it really.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/insomnia-medications

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

StormDrain posted:

Probably an audit that found they owed you money. I had that happen from a job I walked off of in college. Goddamn that was like manna from heaven.

turns out i still get a prorated portion of the annual bonus for 2020, even though i was only employed for half of the year.

good timing since i guess i get to pay almost a grand in income taxes and need a new running watch too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BraveUlysses posted:

turns out i still get a prorated portion of the annual bonus for 2020, even though i was only employed for half of the year.

Nice!

Turns out another employee is no longer working here. So I inflicted some psychological damage on myself. Still hate this job.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

everdave posted:

That was Builds Character replying to me, and specifically talking about ADHD meds.

What I do know about anti-depressants is that some work good with your brain some don't, it's up to you and your psych to figure out what, make sure you're very open and honest about your alcohol use and history, even try to find a psychiatrist who specializes in addiction, some drugs interact really badly with booze, but some can really help restore normal brain chemistry while recovering from addiction.

E: I can't take any drug that changes my brain chemistry because of my job.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 4, 2021

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Coredump posted:

I've tried Effexor and Lexapro thus far. Effexor helped a lot with mood and dark thoughts but I switched off it for fear it was adding to insomnia. I went to Lexapro as it was suppose to have less of an effect on insomnia but I've gained a bunch of weight on it. This website pops up when trying to read about differences between them: https://www.singlecare.com/blog/effexor-vs-lexapro/

My biggest thing is I want to be able to sleep at night. We've tried Trazadone, Lunestra, and now Rozerem and nothing is touching it really.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/insomnia-medications

One of my biggest issues is not being able to sleep, so I thank you for this. I absolutely do not want anything that is going to keep me up all night. I already have that down. I take a Benadryl and melatonin when I don’t have the kids (bc I want to be alert and awake) but I am worried about effects and Alzheimer’s later on. Much thanks for the reply

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Elviscat posted:

That was Builds Character replying to me, and specifically talking about ADHD meds.

What I do know about anti-depressants is that some work good with your brain some don't, it's up to you and your psych to figure out what, make sure you're very open and honest about your alcohol use and history, even try to find a psychiatrist who specializes in addiction, some drugs interact really badly with booze, but some can really help restore normal brain chemistry while recovering from addiction.

Thank you I really like my doctor but he specializes in opiate addictions which I do not have or use any drugs whatsoever even the green. I think I need to find someone who is more mental health. If I had something to suggest we try I think he would prescribe as I’ve turned down increases in anything for 2 years and he says no one does that. But he really respects it, I just think I might need something to get my brain happy but I don’t want to be on drugs

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

everdave posted:

One of my biggest issues is not being able to sleep, so I thank you for this. I absolutely do not want anything that is going to keep me up all night. I already have that down. I take a Benadryl and melatonin when I don’t have the kids (bc I want to be alert and awake) but I am worried about effects and Alzheimer’s later on. Much thanks for the reply

I will say that Rozerem might be worth a shot for you. I can feel it making me sleepy in the evenings and it makes it easier for me to wake up in the mornings even if I don't get much sleep at night. My next plan is to try and combine Rozerem with Sonota since its supposed to be fast acting to see if that will work. I need to see about going thru the test for ADHD as ADHD sufferers have a hard time going to sleep at night as well.

everdave posted:

I just think I might need something to get my brain happy but I don’t want to be on drugs

I can understand and respect that. I didn't drink at all until I turned 30, much less anything else. But its reached a critical mass for me where its affecting my work not sleeping. At that point I knew I needed whatever help I could get.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 4, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Coredump posted:

I will say that Rozerem might be worth a shot for you. I can feel it making me sleepy in the evenings and it makes it easier for me to wake up in the mornings even if I don't get much sleep at night. My next plan is to try and combine Rozerem with Sonota since its supposed to be fast acting to see if that will work. I need to see about going thru the test for ADHD as ADHD sufferers have a hard time going to sleep at night as well.

I cannot loving sleep without at least melatonin, my brain goes crazy the second it hits the pillow, I loving hate it.

It's like a super power when I have to be up working for 24+ hours though, I thrive on a hosed up broken schedule.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Coredump posted:

I can understand and respect that. I didn't drink at all until I turned 30, much less anything else. But its reached a critical mass for me where its affecting my work not sleeping. At that point I knew I needed whatever help I could get.

Yes the sleep issue is messing with my business and life. I can’t be “sedated” bc I have kids and obviously they are priority. But no sleep and getting the kids to school... after it is hard to have the energy to do anything but lay around. I will research these suggestions and ask my doctor on Wednesday thank you

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I cannot loving sleep without at least melatonin, my brain goes crazy the second it hits the pillow, I loving hate it.

It's like a super power when I have to be up working for 24+ hours though, I thrive on a hosed up broken schedule.

How much melatonin do you take? I was taking anywhere from 5 mg to 20 mg and it would work for a bit but then stop working after a while. But recently became aware of this:

quote:

The researchers also discovered that the typical health food store dosage of melatonin, which is about three milligrams (or 10 times the dosage in the study), is less effective in treating insomnia. In addition, the higher dosage can cause potentially serious side effects, including hypothermia (low body temperature). The study also showed that the higher dosage elevated plasma melatonin levels during the day, which can cause a "hangover" effect in some of the subjects.

"Our study has shown that less is more as far as melatonin is concerned," Wurtman said. "Adult patients who suffer from insomnia and are considering melatonin should consult with their doctor about the appropriate dosage. We have demonstrated that with the correct dosage, melatonin can help an older person experience a restful and uninterrupted night of sleep.
https://news.mit.edu/2001/melatonin-1017

So I need to stop being lazy and find a lower dosage of melatonin and try it again. There for 2 or 3 years I had good results with it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I switched to 3mg with Lysene? Added, and that worked well, my most recent bottle is 12mg, and, well, that explains why I've been so tired in the mornings recently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I use a store brand melatonin free sleep aid, works pretty well.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Melatonin chat: I was taking 6mg, now when I do take it it’s 3mg. But I have a bottle from my mom which is 1mg I will try that.

Enough about that I need to post some pics of crazy cars! Will add after resizing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

everdave posted:

I've been on Lexapro for almost a decade and it's been massively helpful for my anxiety and agoraphobia, but it kinda stopped working for the depression a while back so my new psychiatrist put me on Wellbutrin as well six weeks ago and now I feel like a mostly functional human being. Good luck with your quest.