Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Marmaduke! posted:

I've been on a management course this week and they basically kicked it off by showing a Ted talk of some guy who loves Apple almost as much as huffing his own farts. Did you know everyone loves Apple and buys all their stuff because of their amazing values? Also imagine I'm doing William Shatner style pauses before every key word for the full effect.

If I had to include Ted Talk videos in a management presentation might be fun to have the all-star line up of Elizabeth Holmes, Glenn Greenwald, and David Cameron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My boss will reject anyone with a foreign name, say he can't understand them on the phone when he calls, and that they are just applying because unemployment makes you apply to jobs.

Also pays minimum wage and complains it's too much money

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My department manager one level up from my boss NEVER checks our team's collective google calendar before deciding he needs to meet with someone. Lots of people being pulled out of essential meetings and 1 on 1s so the manager can catch up with them. I'm currently sitting on an empty zoom call waiting for my boss to get back from one of these impromptu conversations - he's 35 minutes late and texting apologies to me every 10 minutes or so.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Riatsala posted:

My department manager one level up from my boss NEVER checks our team's collective google calendar before deciding he needs to meet with someone. Lots of people being pulled out of essential meetings and 1 on 1s so the manager can catch up with them. I'm currently sitting on an empty zoom call waiting for my boss to get back from one of these impromptu conversations - he's 35 minutes late and texting apologies to me every 10 minutes or so.

:yossame::yossame::yossame:
Oh my god yes this.

One year I also got a review mentioning the ONE TIME that I'd left a meeting early because I'd been double booked and they were going over. It took me a week to cool down instead of quitting.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Fried Watermelon posted:

My boss will reject anyone with a foreign name, say he can't understand them on the phone when he calls, and that they are just applying because unemployment makes you apply to jobs.

Lol that’s pretty loving terrible.

When I was in high school I had a boss lady who any time she heard a name that’s any more foreign than John Johnson she’d go “hmmmmm where’s THAT from??”

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

poisonpill posted:

:yossame::yossame::yossame:
Oh my god yes this.

One year I also got a review mentioning the ONE TIME that I'd left a meeting early because I'd been double booked and they were going over. It took me a week to cool down instead of quitting.

Lol that's awful. I got taken aside my a manager after I appeared distracted during a morning meeting and got antsy during the 10 minutes of mandatory gratitudes and wasn't paying attention to what coworkers love about their gym or television. I explained I had been pulled away from fixing a critical issue where an important item wasn't working that was causing tickets to flood in. The manager (who ostensibly is responsible for this type of issue, but it's not a TED talk so nah) agreed I should indeed consider fixing that right away.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
There's something deeply ironic about the phrase "mandatory gratitudes"

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Play posted:

There's something deeply sinister about the phrase "mandatory gratitudes"
Fixed that for you.

Dare I ask what mandatory gratitudes are?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Fried Watermelon posted:

He sounds like a shithead, you should report him for whatever you can report him for.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

Fixed that for you.

Dare I ask what mandatory gratitudes are?

My MegaCorp dept tried to embrace Agile a few years ago. Ok for software teams, but for other depts like my own it was useless. So breaking tasks into pieces or any improvement were discarded, but the daily standups remained as those give management something to do. In addition to sharing what I am working on that day (my immediate team already knows, adjacent teams that have nothing to do with our work but are in our meetings don't care), I'm supposed to express what I am grateful for that day. Can't politely say "I'd prefer not to share this info and have work to do," gotta think of something. I usually say something about what I ate for dinner.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My MegaCorp dept tried to embrace Agile a few years ago. Ok for software teams, but for other depts like my own it was useless. So breaking tasks into pieces or any improvement were discarded, but the daily standups remained as those give management something to do. In addition to sharing what I am working on that day (my immediate team already knows, adjacent teams that have nothing to do with our work but are in our meetings don't care), I'm supposed to express what I am grateful for that day. Can't politely say "I'd prefer not to share this info and have work to do," gotta think of something. I usually say something about what I ate for dinner.

"I'm grateful I won't have to put up with these meetings anymore!" *defenestrates laptop*

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Tetramin posted:

Lol that’s pretty loving terrible.

When I was in high school I had a boss lady who any time she heard a name that’s any more foreign than John Johnson she’d go “hmmmmm where’s THAT from??”

Trying to find that bit from the always sunny m night Shyamalan episode, where they're looking for someone to help write a movie script and they see a south Asian looking guy and approach him for help. They ask where he's from, and he says new jersey. They ask where his parents are from, and he says queens

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Fried Watermelon posted:

Dang you managed to describe like...3 federal lawsuit causes of action in just two sentences!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Legit hearing the head manager of the office ripping into the office manager about toilet paper and how we use too much.

This is after hearing him have a conniption over having other flavors of tea.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

teen witch posted:

Legit hearing the head manager of the office ripping into the office manager about toilet paper and how we use too much.

People like that, I've found, are usually in marriages where they don't have any power.
Every blowhard dude I've worked with was a miserable poo poo stain and would be cowed as soon as they were near their wife.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

People like that, I've found, are usually in marriages where they don't have any power.
Every blowhard dude I've worked with was a miserable poo poo stain and would be cowed as soon as they were near their wife.

Perhaps as he’s leching on one of the youngest hires in the office!!!! While banning us buying milk for coffee!!!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That’s a “Yes.”

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Friend was telling me about the CEO of his company was slightly annoyed about people leaving empty Keurig pods in the machine and so the VP, in an attempt to please him, setup a camera pointing directly at the coffee machine. Just lol at the insanity of people. Turns out it wasn't even plugged in and there just to spook employees

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

teen witch posted:

My office sent a staff-wide email because someone drank the office carton of orange juice. Employees are ONLY allowed juice AFTER 5PM ON FRIDAYS!!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

George H.W. oval office posted:

Friend was telling me about the CEO of his company was slightly annoyed about people leaving empty Keurig pods in the machine and so the VP, in an attempt to please him, setup a camera pointing directly at the coffee machine. Just lol at the insanity of people. Turns out it wasn't even plugged in and there just to spook employees

Ceo is probably a culprit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

My office sent a staff-wide email because someone drank the office carton of orange juice. Employees are ONLY allowed juice AFTER 5PM ON FRIDAYS!!!

What the gently caress?
Granted, I've never worked in an office where the kitchen was stocked for us in any way. Most I got was a lovely fridge, a microwave that sorta worked and a coffee maker that was never cleaned.

My wife works for a cool media company and back when they had offices, their kitchen was nicer than ours at home. They had people cooking full dinners there.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I live in Finland and work for the Australia/New Zealand branch of an American company. There is a slight time difference involved.

I can understand why some customers of ours are confused when I don’t answer the phone at 9am Auckland time, or they receive emails at odd hours of the night. But my own team? Surely they’d know better. Nope. This week's all-heads Teams meeting [COMPULSORY!] is at 2am tomorrow. No it will not be recorded. They do not know how. We are a tech company. :downs:

We once got told off by HR for drinking the communal cans of soft drink out of the break room fridge because visitors could see in (it had transparent glass doors) and a half stocked fridge could make the company look bad.

Creature fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 4, 2021

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

At a place I worked somebody took a couple big shits in the lunch room right in the middle of the floor. The CEO set up cameras to catch the culprit. The person who was doing it adapted and then would take their poo poo in the lower floor bathrooms, move a false ceiling tile and throw the feces over top the office area false ceiling. after a year or so of odd smell in the office they finally found out what was causing the issue. Not sure if they ever caught the guy despite putting camera outside the bathrooms.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tarkus posted:

At a place I worked somebody took a couple big shits in the lunch room right in the middle of the floor. The CEO set up cameras to catch the culprit. The person who was doing it adapted and then would take their poo poo in the lower floor bathrooms, move a false ceiling tile and throw the feces over top the office area false ceiling. after a year or so of odd smell in the office they finally found out what was causing the issue. Not sure if they ever caught the guy despite putting camera outside the bathrooms.

what the actual gently caress lmao

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

At the start of covid the thousands of people at my MegaCorp's office were anxious as we had received no guidance or info about transitioning to WFH. We did learn the office coffee would now be free, reminding us they had been charging. Also after a vague update email was sent by HR, HR management's primary concern was this had gone out with a typo in the subject line.

Then someone in the call center died and it made the news so we were sent home and I haven't set foot in the office in a year.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Creature posted:

I live in Finland and work for the Australia/New Zealand branch of an American company. There is a slight time difference involved.

I can understand why some customers of ours are confused when I don’t answer the phone at 9am Auckland time, or they receive emails at odd hours of the night. But my own team? Surely they’d know better. Nope. This week's all-heads Teams meeting [COMPULSORY!] is at 2am tomorrow. No it will not be recorded. They do not know how. We are a tech company. :downs:

Lmao similar hat and people getting LIVID that I’m not answering at 3am IT IS AN EMERGENCY

Forget the fact that my signature, where they got my number from, also contains the country code and address

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

During university in 2004, in Singapore, I had an internship that paid me approximately £300 a month, for a 9 to 6 job, Monday to Friday. That's approximately £15 per day.

I couldn't afford a phone and could barely afford the bus to get to work.

The workplace was owned and run by this American couple from Cincinnati. They had some biscuits and soft drinks etc in the pantry area for the staff. This one time I ate about half a sleeve of biscuits and took a coca cola home (I was hungry, I wasn't able to afford much to eat).

The next day I get told off for eating too many biscuits.

One of the owners sent me out to get his top of the line photo iPod fixed once, i.e. totally not work related. That iPod was worth more than my entire month's wages.

I once got yelled at, like properly yelled at, by that guy for adding too many post it notes to a binder of work he asked me to make up for him.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

teen witch posted:

Lmao similar hat and people getting LIVID that I’m not answering at 3am IT IS AN EMERGENCY

Forget the fact that my signature, where they got my number from, also contains the country code and address

Ten minutes after chatting about the differences between the Finnish and Australian climates (conclusion: there is snow here and not there) one of our salespeople asked if I sit next to someone in our Melbourne office and if they were on a lunch break. :confused:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tarkus posted:

lmao

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tarkus posted:

This owns so much

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Tarkus posted:

security camera footage

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

There are keurig machines that just drop the pod into a bin inside to be thrown out en masse later. Good thing the VP didn't just have one of those installed.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I am legitimately considering leaving my job to work on a weed farm. The pay is slightly higher and the commute is further, but i think I'd feel better doing agricultural work then "working from home" and lying to my employers constantly

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Do it mate.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

titty_baby_ posted:

I am legitimately considering leaving my job to work on a weed farm. The pay is slightly higher and the commute is further, but i think I'd feel better doing agricultural work then "working from home" and lying to my employers constantly

Could you get away with doing it while keeping your old job? $$$

The name chat reminds me of the terrorist who planned the 2008 Taj hotel attack. He had Pakistani parents but was born in the USA.

He simply changed his name from

Daood Sayed Gilani

to

David Coleman Headley

and boom, white looking + US passport + white guy name and he was able to travel throughout India, USA and Pakistan without border officials giving him any mind.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

Could you get away with doing it while keeping your old job? $$$

The name chat reminds me of the terrorist who planned the 2008 Taj hotel attack. He had Pakistani parents but was born in the USA.

He simply changed his name from

Daood Sayed Gilani

to

David Coleman Headley

and boom, white looking + US passport + white guy name and he was able to travel throughout India, USA and Pakistan without border officials giving him any mind.

Lol wow. I had a friend whose wife's last name was Muhammad. She got randomly chosen for heightened airport security checks every time. She's a Boeing engineer with a masters, if you built the plane maybe someone should get a pass.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I dunno man, Boeing ain't the best example for "safe planes" recently.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

titty_baby_ posted:

I've been getting into gardening more and more in the last few years, and weed farming would a really cool way to monetize on that. Problem is here in germany weed is still treated like loving heroin, so even getting a small grow setup for yourself will get you in serious trouble if anybody finds out. It's dumb af. It sounds interesting, so why not dude?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I couldn't do both jobs at once. Im worried about the seasonality of it and its likely I wouldn't get as good of benefits (I essentially work in govt so my bennies r gr8). It's also way out in the countryside on lovely roads and will put a lot of wear and tear on my car.

I really hate my current job tho and my partners leaving to do their masters research for the summer so id just be alone, working from home, for months. I think that might be bad for my mental health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

This may be more for the COVID thread but I'm not caught up with it, so...

Stupid co-worker "COVID is only a problem if you have high blood sugar in your blood". Also, "what did people do before vaccines?" Uh, they died, dude. I guess anti-dumb poo poo, we're still keeping a mask policy after the 10th.