Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My NXL screens always looked fine to me but I never wanted to look up what type I actually had bc I didn't want to discover that I actually had the Bad kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Mine looked fine but I did the test, turns out top one is IPS lower one is TN and now it is driving me CRAZY.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I bought a Japanese New 3DS and added CFW to it.

It would crash when I tried the QR code website method so I had to bust out the old DS flashcart that I have dedicated to be the bootstrap cart. Then I made it more difficult on myself because I kept thinking that it would just boot up into the Homebrew Launcher after putting the Luma boot.firm file. I totally forgot that you had to launch it through the DS download play app. I will would have saved myself an hour if I just read the directions.

So I got it working eventually. It spent about 12 hours installing games. My own backups, for real. As the pictures show, despite using US games, the titles on the homescreen show up as Japanese. But, it was all worth it. The small form factor is sleek and the screens are much nicer than XL screens.

the 3ds has a folders option just so ya know, its very handy

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Olivil posted:

Mine looked fine but I did the test, turns out top one is IPS lower one is TN and now it is driving me CRAZY.

Mine’s like that and I’m fine with it. I’d much rather have the top screen be IPS.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mine’s like that and I’m fine with it. I’d much rather have the top screen be IPS.

100%, however I can't stop noticing the difference in tint between both screens. That might also have to do with the resistive touch layer on top of the lower screen.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I dont know what screens i have and never will

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the top screen on mine looks so so much worse than the bottom, I really appreciate the Castlevania DS games that use the lower screen for the game and the top for the map

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pfft, amateur. I got six!

please send help

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

the 3ds has a folders option just so ya know, its very handy

I know people who folders and they're all cowards.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Since we’re talking 3DS I have been injecting GBA and GBC games lately and I’m near the app limit. Has anyone found a way to up it at all?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

Since we’re talking 3DS I have been injecting GBA and GBC games lately and I’m near the app limit. Has anyone found a way to up it at all?

No but to save space you might as well delete the GBC injects and use mgba for those or something. They’re emulated unlike the GBA injects so it wouldn’t be a loss.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hatty posted:

Please, use mgba. Trust me its way better. Injecting them is a pain and the emu on ds is just poo poo

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know people who folders and they're all cowards.

But you can put badges on them!

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
I wish they'd add folders to switch so I didn't have to use Ulaunch

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
https://github.com/hotshotz79/NX-Custom-Game-Icons

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Man the box art for PC really didn't sell the game well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's funny, the first 3DS I bought was a refurb (US) New 3DS, but I eventually found the screens to be a bit small so I ended up also getting a refurb New 3DS XL. As far as I can tell the actual screen quality is the same between them. I assume they're all TN panels although I haven't looked that closely.

I agree that the New 3DS is a higher/better quality build. While I like the size of the XL, it feels flimsy in some ways and I really don't like the back panel on it.

There was a really small serial number window in the US of New 3ds systems with dual ips screens. It's the ones that came with those blue and red Mario plates. I snagged two of them even though I prefer the n3ds xl.

I remember a few weeks later the black n3ds came out in America and I was pissed because I preferred the look of the black one but they turned out to be 100% tn.

But anyway yeah I agree, visually speaking the n3ds xl with the top ips screen is my preferred way to play the 3DS. Funnily enough as ocd as I am having a bottom TN screen never bothered me. Dual IPS n3ds XLs are stupidly rare. I think only the limited edition Zelda one had those.

It was all a panel lottery of whoever Nintendo was using at the time.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 7, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s all about IPS screens on original Game Boys.

https://twitter.com/asobitech/status/1319621298272784384?s=21

I’ll probably do one of these mods some day when the original screen craps out.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I wish you could buy a bottom IPS screen for the new 3DS XL from somewhere - have a (pretty sure) top IPS bottom TN one that's getting reshelled into an AliExpress Pikachu shell, and I might as well swap the screens while I'm in there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just wondering if anyone can assist.

I hacked my n3ds about a while back and then just let it sit there as I was doing it mainly to see how the process went. I decided I wanted to play a ENG language patched japanese DS game. I was able to get it working on a pc emulator so I know the rom is fine. When I tried to run the rom in twilight menu it just went to a white screen and nothing happened. I tried a different rom which worked fine.

I did a search and saw a fix using twilight menu ++. The instructions seem to be for a newer version so I decided to try updating. The instructions said I needed to be on 11.13 and I was on 11.03. You can probably see where this is going. (I was following some other guide and it told me I need my mii friend ID, when I tried to get that it said to update and without thinking I was like sure, good idea and a few seconds later it was too late to do anything. Really dumb, I know.)

I am now on 11.14 and all the CFW icons are gone from menu. If I hit start on boot it goes into godmode and select goes to some other menu. So the n3ds is still hacked. I'm kind of at a loss on what to do now, though.

The guides seem to be how to start from zero and get to a working CFW setup. But my situation I am finding a little less info.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You probably have an old version of Luma. Nintendo regularly introduces changes that break Luma, so it's important to keep Luma updated.

Ask in the Nintendo Homebrew Discord for more help. They'll get you fixed up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah thanks. I tried running an update on luma when I started but it wasn't connecting so then I moved on to being an idiot. Seems to have worked out well for not getting where I wanted. I'll try discord a bit later.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah thanks. I tried running an update on luma when I started but it wasn't connecting so then I moved on to being an idiot. Seems to have worked out well for not getting where I wanted. I'll try discord a bit later.

You have to update luma manually. The online updater sucks rear end and doesn’t work a lot of the time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Discord got me working. Thanks much.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I wish you could buy a bottom IPS screen for the new 3DS XL from somewhere - have a (pretty sure) top IPS bottom TN one that's getting reshelled into an AliExpress Pikachu shell, and I might as well swap the screens while I'm in there.

If it makes you feel better, I'm completely obsessed with stuff like this, and even I don't care about the bottom screen being TN. I can detect even the slightest bit of motion blur. I would usually use Super Princess Peach to figure out if a screen was IPS because on TN I would always see a blur when walking in the game but it wouldn't be there in IPS.

The bottom screen is used almost exclusively for maps and other stuff which is why I don't care. Plus TN is supposedly better for battery life, so with a mixed display setup, I'd argue it's the best setup possible.

The main screen being IPS is very important but I really don't think it's an issue if the bottom one isn't.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You fuckers are starting to stir that little bit of my brain that was disappointed when I checked the screens on my new3DSxl and they were both TN and I vaguely researched the viability of doing a screen replacement.

Edit: and then I read the ifixit guide and see the comments full of people complaining how they broke theirs due to incomplete/inaccurate information in the guide and think eh it's probably not worth it

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 8, 2021

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Why not just buy a different New 3DS XL and sell your current one?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah they’re sort of a dime a dozen these days

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Honestly, if I could buy a double IPS new 3DS XL, I'd do it entirely for the vanity. I've definitely bought and returned a TN new 3DS XL to run the gamble again to try for an IPS. Luckily, the first retry was IPS.

But yeah, it only really matters for the top screen. I'm not even sure I'd be able to notice on the bottom screen. With my normal 2DS, I originally thought it was IPS and that only color test says it's IPS, but the hardware check software says it's TN. It made part of me wonder if the app was just seeing 2DS and then saying it's TN since the belief is that they all are. I never looked into it any further, didn't really care to.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Out of stock right now, but every single one of these I've seen has been dual IPS:

https://www.gamestop.com/video-game...ion=Refurbished

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

If it makes you feel better, I'm completely obsessed with stuff like this, and even I don't care about the bottom screen being TN. I can detect even the slightest bit of motion blur. I would usually use Super Princess Peach to figure out if a screen was IPS because on TN I would always see a blur when walking in the game but it wouldn't be there in IPS.

The bottom screen is used almost exclusively for maps and other stuff which is why I don't care. Plus TN is supposedly better for battery life, so with a mixed display setup, I'd argue it's the best setup possible.

The main screen being IPS is very important but I really don't think it's an issue if the bottom one isn't.

Definitely agree, this one's for resale though so thought that'd probably get me maximum return. (The Pikachu re-shell is the main value-add, we never got those in the Australian region so I'm hoping it'll tickle someone's fancy.)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Why not just buy a different New 3DS XL and sell your current one?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah they’re sort of a dime a dozen these days

Not in the EU, seemingly. I got a good deal on a basically mint second hand new3DSxl a couple years ago, from looking at ebay or other second hand markets I'd be spending a good amount more to roll the dice on another one. And searching for IPS screened ones specifically means they have a huge premium because the resellers know what they're doing.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

The Switch V1 is easy to hack.. [snip]

This is the guide: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/getting_started/

I have a day 1 Switch that I have a ton of digital games for, and play online regularly, so I really don't want to jepardise my account/console.

I had been wanting to wait until a Switch Pro came out to try this (primarily for RetroArch), but I gave in to the urge and followed this guide last night. I set it up on a completely separate microSD card, so right now I have one full of legit Switch games and one for RetroArch/ROMs (sans copying the old Nintendo folder, so all the games installed to my legit card don't load while in CFW). RetroArch is accessed through the right shoulder button -> homebrew channel method rather than installing any NSPs.

I'm a bit confused about what's "safe" to do and what isn't though. The guide said to remove all wifi networks first (I did), and had a big red banner saying "Keep emuMMC offline at all times". But then it includes setting up an FTP server and homebrew app store, which seem useless if you stay offline?

I've got zero interest in using this for piracy or modifying/cheating legit games, only emulation. It would be ideal to be able to keep it booted into CFW, play legit games (online) normally, access the eShop etc, and just do the shoulder button trick to access RetroArch when I want to. But keeping all the homebrew gubbins on the SD card while the Switch is acting normally feels like the kind of thing Nintendo could detect and ban easily.

I know there's never going to be a guaranteed "safe" way of doing things, but what's the normal setup people go for?

Froist fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 17, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think technically emulation is still illegal? Or maybe thats only if you dont have an original copy. For me personally when i hacked my 3ds i specifically bought one to use as the emulation machine so i wouldnt have to worry if it did get banned but as far as i can tell nintendo doesnt care, i leave it online all the time

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Froist posted:

I know there's never going to be a guaranteed "safe" way of doing things, but what's the normal setup people go for?

Aside from the fact that official updates running in normal mode will burn fuses so you can't go back to an earlier version, separate sd cards will keep you safe. No one knows what Nintendo does in their ban waves so you might be safe until you're not if you have data on your card they don't like. You can run an ftp server locally without being "online" because that generally refers to connecting to Nintendo's servers, which is why the guide (when I read it a while back) recommended swapping to a DNS that munges certain hostnames that Nintendo uses.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I went through the whole hacking the switch a few weeks ago and found it more trouble than it’s worth. Having to swap SD cards, worry about which one I had in at any given time, and work around the networking stuff was annoying. Particularly when trying to setup emulators. And once I did get emulators setup I wasn’t super impressed with how they ran.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

This is why you use one switch for hacking and one for online.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
I use the same SD card in my Switch and go back and forth between CFW and OFW all the time, only using 90dns, and have yet to be banned in the almost two years of doing this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think technically emulation is still illegal?
Emulation is legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Froist posted:

I don't know that there's one right way.

Some people, myself included, have too much invested in the Switch to bother with homebrew on a regular basis and risk a ban.

Some people are willing to jump through the hoops of setting up a emuMMC on a separate SD card, updating the emuMMC NAND image as needed, and keeping their homebrew side offline. That's probably safe as long as you're rigorous about it.

Some people do the above but just with a single SD card. So long as Nintendo isn't searching for a /emuMMC folder on your SD card, this is also probably safe.

Some people straight up run SX OS and just avoid installing "the wrong kind of" pirated games and are still OK?