Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

gandlethorpe posted:

drat, are they starting to fully distance themselves from the $2000 number? I was hoping to get "Trump-Biden $2000 checks" trending

this was from the briefing yesterday:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/press-briefings/2021/03/03/press-briefing-by-press-secretary-jen-psaki-march-3-2021/ posted:

MS. PSAKI: What the President promised and committed to was ensuring that the American people receive $2,000 in checks. This $1,400 is part of delivering on that promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shipon posted:

Damning by faint praise here but Trump did more for the left in America than decades of liberalism did. It wasn't enough but think about Obama and what his failures gave us. The only "left wing" movement to really rise up during Obama's years was Occupy and that was quickly seized onto by progressive stack identitarian bullshit.

Why do you think the left is stronger now than it was at the end of the Obama years? Bernie did better in the primary in 2016 then in 2020 and the
most corporate friendly right wing candidate in a pretty big primary won. If anything, Trump hurt the left by erasing distinctions between the left and liberals in the democratic party and by dominating the conversation so much.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

christ are the dems gonna do anything fuckin worthwhile?

Well, the question i guess is how worthwhile do you consider six figure jobs for people in the power's kids?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Why do you think the left is stronger now than it was at the end of the Obama years? Bernie did better in the primary in 2016 then in 2020 and the
most corporate friendly right wing candidate in a pretty big primary won. If anything, Trump hurt the left by erasing distinctions between the left and liberals in the democratic party and by dominating the conversation so much.

Bernie only did so well in 2016 because the alternative was Hillary, a deeply unlikeable person.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

christ are the dems gonna do anything fuckin worthwhile? Its like a fuckin joke, they keep loving up over and over and over. Its like theyre doing it on purpose and have absolutely no desire to improve the lives of anyone thats not lining their own pockets

The dems in power are constantly screaming about exactly who they are and who they actually care for, but there are millions of assholes that tell me the dems are on my side and I just need to be patient. gently caress you, I can clearly see the level of contempt this party has for me and everyone else not them or in their club. Its blisteringly obvious what they want to do but apparently Im just not smart enough to understand politics and im just a dipshit doomer

goddamniut why do I even pay attention to this poo poo, Im just giving myself ulcers

I have not been paying much attention since Biden's inauguration. It's quite nice. I peek for a few laughs now and then. America is stuck and must continue in crisis to change.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Shipon posted:

Bernie only did so well in 2016 because the alternative was Hillary, a deeply unlikeable person.

Also I'm positive that the party apparatus was completely unprepared for Bernie's popularity in 2016. In 2020 they were prepared for him, plus he wasn't up against only Hillary, plus Obama stuck his nose in.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Also I'm positive that the party apparatus was completely unprepared for Bernie's popularity in 2016. In 2020 they were prepared for him, plus he wasn't up against only Hillary, plus Obama stuck his nose in.

Yeah they definitely made sure not to repeat the same mistakes. Make no mistake about it, he was quite popular this time around and it took a massive whiplash of media messaging and coordinated campaign suspensions and endorsements to pull that Super Tuesday rout off. That said, he wasn't without fault, his refusal to push back against Biden's track record and his campaign staff made plenty of fatal errors (or you could argue it was sabotage).

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Shipon posted:

Yeah they definitely made sure not to repeat the same mistakes. Make no mistake about it, he was quite popular this time around and it took a massive whiplash of media messaging and coordinated campaign suspensions and endorsements to pull that Super Tuesday rout off.

Did Bernie ever get a single day of positive coverage from the biggest media outlets during the 2020 primaries?

It felt like every day was a parade of bad faith pundits making GBS threads on Bernie while trying to prop up anyone that could stop him.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

[img-krusty-trying-to-pronounce-xochitl]

KillerFuzzball
Jul 1, 2007

taste the pain

RasperFat posted:

Did Bernie ever get a single day of positive coverage from the biggest media outlets during the 2020 primaries?

It felt like every day was a parade of bad faith pundits making GBS threads on Bernie while trying to prop up anyone that could stop him.

Over the course of 2019 the media hopped from one centrist candidate to the next, trying and failing to make one stick, while either outright making GBS threads on Bernie or completely ignoring him. Then centrist voltron formed, covid ramped up, and Biden fell rear end backwards into the nomination. What happened in the primary was anything but organic.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Assuming of course them primaries were legitimate and not rigged, which seems like a fool's errand to trust the American electoral system to be honest

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's like no one remembers bernie blindness

there were literally polls on network television that had bernie missing

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Dolphin posted:

Warren folks were constnatly mad that she wasn't getting enough credit for coming in 3rd lmao

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Can't help but notice I don't have my fuckin money yet

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

KomradeX posted:

Assuming of course them primaries were legitimate and not rigged, which seems like a fool's errand to trust the American electoral system to be honest

I’m pretty sure that the electronic voting machine totals were straight up tampered with, but we’ll probably never know.

I remember a thing about exit polls systematically not lining up with vote totals, and those discrepancies hurting Bernie like 95% of the time.

Any grumblings about shadiness were immediately dismissed outright as racism and sexism against black men and women who gave Biden the edge in small conservative states.

Then it turns out it was a flood of old white conservatives that actually gave Biden a boost in SC, but that gets swept under the rug right away too.

I don’t see how anyone paying attention to the elections last year thinks America is a remotely fair democracy.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
America has never been a fair democracy and only now are we actually seeing the true rot of how our elections are rigged.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Pretty good noticing.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bootleg Trunks posted:

i also noticed this guy doesn't have his loving money yet

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

if you say there was potential vote rigging in 2016: a wise natsec operator and rising Democrat Star

if you say there was potential vote rigging in 2020: a traitor and possible Russian asset trying to start an insurrection

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Shipon posted:

America has never been a fair democracy and only now are we actually seeing the true rot of how our elections are rigged.

I just remembered how hosed up the caucus vote reporting was in Iowa, and how we wouldn’t even have known without concessions for transparency during the 2016 DNC.

Imagine how loving fake the results have been for the last few decades without the transparency.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dolphin posted:

"Pete Buttigieg SKYROCKETS to second place!!!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/roun_sa_ville/status/1367563753550667783

trap sprung lol

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

mcmagic posted:

People just wanted to get rid of Trump and didn't care what Biden was actually going to do. I think seeing a corporate dem like Biden fail is more likely to radicalize D voters than another republican. (Though Obama's failures didn't radicalize most D's either)

Idk if it's just me being cynical but I was looking it up the other day, and if you look at the margin Biden won by in the states that actually mattered (AZ, GA, MI, PA, WI) then he only actually won the election by about 300k votes and most of that was white people turning coat. I feel like the more likely outcome of Biden inevitably failing to accomplish anything is that his turnout will go down even more among minority voters, and the whites will just go back to voting for whatever howling dumbass the Republicans run in 2024.

loquacius posted:

trap sprung lol

:eyepop: looks like someone got busted for feeling a little hoarse

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

RasperFat posted:

I’m pretty sure that the electronic voting machine totals were straight up tampered with, but we’ll probably never know.

I remember a thing about exit polls systematically not lining up with vote totals, and those discrepancies hurting Bernie like 95% of the time.

Any grumblings about shadiness were immediately dismissed outright as racism and sexism against black men and women who gave Biden the edge in small conservative states.

Then it turns out it was a flood of old white conservatives that actually gave Biden a boost in SC, but that gets swept under the rug right away too.

I don’t see how anyone paying attention to the elections last year thinks America is a remotely fair democracy.

all of these videos of biden acting senile were memory-holed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKSaS8EGwZI

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
hey poor and hosed-over of Texas! Don't like your governor? Impeach and remove him! Bing bong so simple.

https://twitter.com/MMFlint/status/1367179024544505866

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Shipon posted:

Yeah seriously the Dem primary of 2019-2020 had seriously 1944 vibes about it in the way that the conservative (and, uh, future war criminal) Harry Truman stole the vice presidency from the leftist Henry Wallace in light of the ailing health of FDR. The party apparatus didn't want Wallace taking over in the likely event of FDR's death.

Shame about those vaporized cities but hey, we couldn't have someone in office who might not try to jumpstart the MIC and get into a half century long dickwaving money wasting contest of who can support the most genocides with the world's only other superpower, now could we?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Shipon posted:

Damning by faint praise here but Trump did more for the left in America than decades of liberalism did. It wasn't enough but think about Obama and what his failures gave us. The only "left wing" movement to really rise up during Obama's years was Occupy and that was quickly seized onto by progressive stack identitarian bullshit.

This is normally where I argue that you have to grade Occupy on a curve, because it was a mass of (mostly) young people who had been thoroughly propagandized about the "proper" way to protest and enact change and they had to learn some very hard lessons for anything approaching the left in North America to progress past this infantile stage. And despite all that, the movement managed to achieve some significant goals in terms of direct action.

But instead of saying all that (wait I just did), I'll just point out that Obama also gave us BLM. In fact, MeToo started under his watch, as well, even if it didn't really blow up until the Trump years.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Chillgamesh posted:

Idk if it's just me being cynical but I was looking it up the other day, and if you look at the margin Biden won by in the states that actually mattered (AZ, GA, MI, PA, WI) then he only actually won the election by about 300k votes and most of that was white people turning coat. I feel like the more likely outcome of Biden inevitably failing to accomplish anything is that his turnout will go down even more among minority voters, and the whites will just go back to voting for whatever howling dumbass the Republicans run in 2024.

nah, seems far more likely than not

it owns that the cuts they're currently making to the relief bill are laser-targeted at those same old white voters

Biden's best hope is that the vaccines magically solve everything and he benefits from a post-COVID boom / return to "normalcy" before the election (and somehow Democratic turnout remains high at the midterms, contrary to nearly all recent history)

while that might pan out, it's still basically the Trump "open 'er up" COVID plan and extremely risky because there is a very long list of things that could derail it that they're taking basically no steps whatsoever to head off

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bootleg Trunks posted:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chillgamesh posted:

If they get everyone vaccinated by may and the economy comes back strong, they might just win on that no matter how much they gently caress people on the 15 dollar wage and the checks.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Animal-Mother posted:

all of these videos of biden acting senile were memory-holed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKSaS8EGwZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RpxJT5w7Tc&t=1s

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mcmagic posted:

If they get everyone vaccinated by may and the economy comes back strong, they might just win on that no matter how much they gently caress people on the 15 dollar wage and the checks.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

how tho

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

this is cool and I totally understand the pie in the sky metaphor you're going for here, The Oldest Man
*smokes dab*

as for the midterms hasn't voting just been like an all time high turnout recently ? I loving voted

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Falstaff posted:

This is normally where I argue that you have to grade Occupy on a curve, because it was a mass of (mostly) young people who had been thoroughly propagandized about the "proper" way to protest and enact change and they had to learn some very hard lessons for anything approaching the left in North America to progress past this infantile stage. And despite all that, the movement managed to achieve some significant goals in terms of direct action.

But instead of saying all that (wait I just did), I'll just point out that Obama also gave us BLM. In fact, MeToo started under his watch, as well, even if it didn't really blow up until the Trump years.

That's a fair point about Occupy, the messaging behind it started real strong and focused and I would agree that it boiled everything down to a very simple question of class and who owns the means of production. Which then resulted in academics and "activists" coming in to muddy the waters with other focuses.

BLM and MeToo are not left wing movements. That's not to say that they're negative ideas, both racial and gender justice are vital to any left project, but BLM and MeToo were at their core just an attempt to correct a rather narrow injustice within the context of the present system. BLM saying that police violence is a grave injustice (correct) quite easily got turned into "we need to make sure that only 13% of police killings are Black people" and MeToo was from its very start only a thing people latched onto because powerful rich women were being abused in the workplace.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Mar 4, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Michael Moore finally succumbed to libbrain. SAD. Many such cases

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Terror Sweat posted:

Joe Manchins daughter is a mass murderer, if I were president I would simply imprison her

The president has the fully legal and bipartisanly agreed upon power to drone strike anyone, anywhere, for any reason. I say dream big!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

if you say there was potential vote rigging in 2016: a wise natsec operator and rising Democrat Star

if you say there was potential vote rigging in 2020: a traitor and possible Russian asset trying to start an insurrection

I remember thinking that ask those thousands of people that showed up for the women's March in 2017 could have stormed the government and taken care of Trump themselves instead they just through a pity parade, fast forward the chuds show up in smaller numbers cosplaying doing that before the cops took them on a guided tour of the Capitol complex.

Lol did we ever get abby nowre info about those alleged bombs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Dolphin posted:

i also noticed this guy doesn't have his loving money yet

Great noticing honestly.