Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah the references seem to all point to this 1986 article that you probably refer to and that I can't seem to find a full text of rn: https://europepmc.org/article/med/3788046

One of the references I saw that pointed to that article even specifically stated it the reference to the practice was anecdotal:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3550200/

quote:

After 1938, medical prescription of DNP stopped and cases of poisoning due to medical intake were no longer reported, but case reports of deaths associated with the ingestion of DNP still emerged [14, 15]. It is anecdotally reported to have been prescribed to the Russian soldiers during World War II to keep them warm [16].

16 is that 1986 article.

So right now I'm inclined heavily towards "Bullshit!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nenonen posted:

Leopard ½ has the best ventilation around. Just make sure you keep the enemy to the front and right.

Suspension work only takes half the time of other tanks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I didn't realize the driver's seat was so awkward

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That's the toilet

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Poop is stored in the hull.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn't realize the driver's seat was so awkward

Yeah, hull height is largely dictated by driver and engine height. It's easy to make engines flatter, but to make the driver flatter you have to do ridiculous tricks like this.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah, hull height is largely dictated by driver and engine height. It's easy to make engines flatter, but to make the driver flatter you have to do ridiculous tricks like this.

what about hydraulic presses?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

M-1A1 driver's position:

It's surprisingly comfortable.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah that looks very cozy. Like a very nice movie theatre seat

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man problem with that half-tank isn't even the height, dude just needs 30cm more legroom so he isn't folded up like that anymore.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It kinda looks like the seat is adjustable?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

M-1A1 driver's position:

drat, do people with claustrophobia wash out of tank units often or do they make you get over it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

drat, do people with claustrophobia wash out of tank units often or do they make you get over it

I assume they are just not assigned to them unless absolutely necessary.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

zoux posted:

I was going to ask the same thing. I guess there’s not a position to sit up out of the hatch or anything is there?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TK-42-1 posted:

I was going to ask the same thing. I guess there’s not a position to sit up out of the hatch or anything is there?

AINA Abrams Crewman but my cousin was, I'm pretty sure you drive with your head out of the hatch most of the time, outside of combat obviously.

Do modern TCs ever fight unbuttoned like in WW2 or have optics rendered that obsolete?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Chieftain says he liked to be unbuttoned as much as possible (and I think he served in Iraq at some point?); even if small arms was a thing you would try to stay at open-protected rather than buttoning up entirely.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do modern TCs ever fight unbuttoned like in WW2 or have optics rendered that obsolete?

When I was in the TC was ALWAYS head-out unless he was currently being shot at. And even then, you'd drop down/in and wouldn't lock the hatches unless you were within throwing distance (in which case things are so bad you have other problems).

You really, really want as many eyes out looking for threats as you can get. This includes your loader. (Edit: Gunners stay inside, on the sight. Drivers also stay in unless the turret is in travel-lock.)

I suspect that is still the case today, but might not be in the future.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 5, 2021

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

TK-42-1 posted:

On western 4-man tanks loader and TC have turret hatch and outside of combat spend a ton of time looking around. Driver hatches stays closed unless turret isnt moving (most tanks have a circuit connection between the driver hatch and gun traverse that either unpowers traverse during hatch being open or requires override confirmation) which means 90% of actual tactical training and 99% of combat driver is buttoned up.

Gunners are stuck inside, period :P their space is the most cramped and dark and hot.

On three-man tanks the gunner has half the turret and TC the other half, But again the gunner spends more time under hatch level Because he needs to control the big weewee.

Theres still no optic that travels as fast abd as accurately with as wide an FOV as the mk1 eyeball, So poking your head up and taking a look is still the fastest way for a tank commander to figure out his bearings and gain situational awareness.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does the loader duck his head back down when he has to actually load, or how does that work?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Valtonen posted:

(most tanks have a circuit connection between the driver hatch and gun traverse that either unpowers traverse during hatch being open or requires override confirmation) which means 90% of actual tactical training and 99% of combat driver is buttoned up.

On old M60A1s the unit SOP was hatch closed unless in travel-lock.

The Lone Badger posted:

Does the loader duck his head back down when he has to actually load, or how does that work?

Yes, you need to be down in to load. Generally the hatch is left open for safety and ventilation.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

The Lone Badger posted:

The rounds are heavy, So once the actual loading starts he is stuck standing loading down inside. But aside from slinging big bullets, Good loader looks and cares the coax feed, peeks around, helps point out stuff, and is in general trying his best to be useful.

In the turret the TC has a chair that can be sat on (while looking at optics) or stood on (to peek out) while loader works standing, with his seat being either on swiwel or removable, and majority of time only acting as his standstool to stay above hatch scanning.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
I remember an old (WWII) instruction video on anti-tank tactics for infantry, where main objective of the riflemen was to reduce the tank crew's situational awareness, to make life easier for the people with actual AT weapons.

This was done first by shooting at any crewmembers that had their heads out to make them duck into the tank, and then shoot at any periscopes, vision blocks or other optics they could identify to make them less useful.

I'm gonna gueass that at least the first of these would be effective against a modern tank, since a squad of grunts using your head for target practice will probably make most people do a quick turtle imitation.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yes, though modern tanks have a lot more options in terms of camera mounted weapons that can be directed at troops on foot harassing you. Not to mention that they are much more resistant to the sorts of AT weapons infantry can bring (like that Challenger 2 in Iraq that got hit with over 70 RPGs and survived)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Otoh you're going to have to shout at me very loudly to get me to do something that will attract a tank's attention towards me while not actually disabling it in any way.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

My impression from past auto vs manual loader chat is that the actual purpose of the (person) loader is to be an extra set of eyes and hands for general care and feeding of the tank. They load the gun too since you're carrying them anyway and might as well use them for something while shooting

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is radar a useful thing for tank situational awareness?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

radar generally isn't useful if both target and emitter are at ground level. Too much random stuff like bushes and trees and elevation changes at the same level that the radio waves bounce off of.

Most tanks don't have much AA capability so pointing a radar set skyward isn't much good either.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Is there a general acknowledgement that loaders have the shittiest job in the tank? Are they the most junior members, before they train to be a gunner/TC?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

The good thing to have is Thermals, which I think all modern tanks have now?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

The good thing to have is Thermals, which I think all modern tanks have now?

For that matter, do new tanks try to have thermal camouflage where they're only hot if seen from behind? Or at least try to keep the turret cold to be able to hide hull-down?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lots of equipment gets special blankets :3:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone have a link to those Iran-Iraq war effort posts? They were last thread right?
Edit: Found one
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167&pagenumber=542&perpage=40&userid=0#post474849107

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 5, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What viewing equipment did tanks use during WW2 and how did they differ by country/over time? The discussion about how the M48 was much better than the Panther because of all the advances in optical technology piqued my interest.

zoux posted:

This is an interesting question, well to me at least: how did y'all get into military history?

I found out about the Nazis and WW2 from watching Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grumio posted:

Is there a general acknowledgement that loaders have the shittiest job in the tank? Are they the most junior members, before they train to be a gunner/TC?

My cousin went loader-driver-gunner-the gently caress out of the army

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

radar generally isn't useful if both target and emitter are at ground level. Too much random stuff like bushes and trees and elevation changes at the same level that the radio waves bounce off of.

Most tanks don't have much AA capability so pointing a radar set skyward isn't much good either.

drat it. Now I'm gonna spend half the night cause I'm curious how LADAR is being used, if it is at all, in a military context. Thanks. (But also non-sarcastic thanks cause I'll probably be happy.)

Cessna posted:

M-1A1 driver's position:

There must be a whole mess of things that make that suck that aren't salient to me in the photo, but that looks identical to me snuggling up and watching Coco on my laptop or whatever.

Motherfucker looks like he's driving a Snuggie.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

drat it. Now I'm gonna spend half the night cause I'm curious how LADAR is being used, if it is at all, in a military context. Thanks. (But also non-sarcastic thanks cause I'll probably be happy.)

I'm going to guess that it's kinda like car cruise control in that it looks for things that are both a) big and b) moving. Then it flags for the tank commanders attention to take a look and see what it actually is.
Stationary objects may be ignored as being extremely difficult to tell from terrain, but if it sees something move and gets the commander to look in the right direction two seconds earlier than he otherwise would have then it has done its job.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm going to guess that it's kinda like car cruise control in that it looks for things that are both a) big and b) moving. Then it flags for the tank commanders attention to take a look and see what it actually is.
Stationary objects may be ignored as being extremely difficult to tell from terrain, but if it sees something move and gets the commander to look in the right direction two seconds earlier than he otherwise would have then it has done its job.

As long as it’s doing a Clippy(tm) noise to attract attention.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

1. You don't want to be unbuttoned next to a big microwave emitter
2. Having a big microwave emitter blaring is like a lighthouse on a starry night for anyone who can see the light
Laser radar isn't be safe from the latter either.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does the commander at least have a screen which displays the locations of all friendlies and reported locations of all known enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

White Coke posted:

What viewing equipment did tanks use during WW2 and how did they differ by country/over time? The discussion about how the M48 was much better than the Panther because of all the advances in optical technology piqued my interest.

The Panther in particular was extra poo poo because the gunner didn’t have a wide‐view scope, only the highly‐magnified gun sight, so target acquisition took longer.