Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

That and considering it was originally on the Wii back in 2010? Not a ton of choices :v:

ESPECIALLY considering it was kind of a rare game to find after a while too before Smash Bros make Shulk relevant again and enough to get him a 3DS and Switch port. I feel kinda bad for the poor bastards that had to comb gamestops and/or the internet to pay $90 for it back in the day.

I got incredibly lucky in that regard. When it looked like Nintendo was never going to bring Xenoblade stateside, I bought a PAL copy of it from a seller on eBay and it worked out after the exchange rates that I paid like $50-$60 for it, well below what the NTSC version of Xenoblade ultimately MRSP'd for when it finally came here. I think I paid more for the secondhand Wii I used for the softmodding processes because I didn't want to brick my main one in case I hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If someone had to go first at least it was the space elves.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes*. At the very core of it, there's basically zero daylight between what Egil actually wants for the world and what Shulk, Mayneth, and the rest of the party do too. The thing that complicates matters is that Egil is the victim of trauma and betrayal, and that trauma poisoned his outlook and he dealt with it in incredibly unhealthy and destructive ways. He came up with his plan to try and starve Zanza to death of ether because he wanted revenge and was traumatized into mistakenly thinking that all beings born of Zanza inherently shared Zanza's will and desires, thus imagining the peoples of Bionis into an enemy that never actually existed.

Shulk finally getting up in his face and going "LISTEN, rear end in a top hat!" and showing him the truth of the matter finally broke the haze and made him realize how wrong he was regarding the peoples of Bionis. Meanwhile, Zanza showing up and immediately proving to be as absolutely dangerous and evil as Egil warned us that he was shows that Egil was just as right as he was wrong.

It's one of those failures of communication thing where both sides were right about interlocking issues, but preferred to see only where the other side was equally wrong about matters. If the peoples of Bionis had listened to Egil's warning about Zanza, and Egil had listened to the Homs/ect.'s desire to live in peace everyone could probably have come up with a way to deal with Zanza by working together, but then again you don't get a story that way...

How I figured it, it was that Egil didn't have any animosity toward the people of Bionis, just that he saw their deaths as a necessary sacrifice in order to starve out Zanza. Shulk makes him realize that oh hey maybe the people of Bionis will want Zanza dead as much as I do if they see what a raging cocksucker he is, and we can work together!

nine-gear crow posted:

I got incredibly lucky in that regard. When it looked like Nintendo was never going to bring Xenoblade stateside, I bought a PAL copy of it from a seller on eBay and it worked out after the exchange rates that I paid like $50-$60 for it, well below what the NTSC version of Xenoblade ultimately MRSP'd for when it finally came here. I think I paid more for the secondhand Wii I used for the softmodding processes because I didn't want to brick my main one in case I hosed up.

I cottoned to this game thanks to the drumming up of awareness that went on when the game was finally coming Stateside. I pre-ordered a copy at GameStop thanks to all the positive buzz, so I only had to pay MSRP for it and didn't even have to figure out how to mod my Wii. :)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I never owned a Wii copy of the game, because I never owned a Wii. I played a friend's copy for a while one year at MagFest, and decided I liked the game enough, though. I picked up a copy of the 3DS version when I got a New 3DS a handful of years ago. My playthrough on that stalled out around Eryth Sea/Alcamoth. Then I picked up Definitive for my birthday last year and the Casual mode and better quest markers really helped me get through it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

nine-gear crow posted:

If the peoples of Bionis had listened to Egil's warning about Zanza, and Egil had listened to the Homs/ect.'s desire to live in peace everyone could probably have come up with a way to deal with Zanza by working together, but then again you don't get a story that way...

I don't think he actually tried to warn people about Zanza, considering the High Entia tried sealing Zanza on Prison Island, the Monado inside a glacier and the whole point of Melia is that she's the result of generations of deliberate Homs marriage to try and breed the Telethia gene out of their race.
I think the emperors would have been very receptive to Egil's "death to Zanza" newsletter.

Alternatively, what might have happened is that the High Entia thought killing Zanza was impossible and settled for sealing him, causing Egil to sever communications and start his insane plan in a desperate bid to murder the fucker.

Ultimately the game is very light on information on what the gently caress happened in the previous war between Zanza and Meyneth, how the fucker got stopped and sealed in the first place and by who. You'd assume Miguel or Meyneth would know about Zanza and what he could do but nope. Meyneth genuinely thought she killed him back in Prison Island.

Still 100% agree that Egil was warped by the betrayal and his desire to deliver justice unto Zanza. I think the biggest indictment against him, and what gave him his "I'm the baddie" realization seconds before Shulk got Dickson'd, is that he ended up treating the people of Bionis exactly the same way Zanza does: as tools to be used and discarded at will.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If Zanza is the Demiurge then who is the real God?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

White Coke posted:

Nopon sage not really

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

It's... open to interpretation, I'm just gonna say that much. But we're like probably 20 videos away from there yet, depending on how long Argate wants to keep torturing us with side quests.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

nine-gear crow posted:

It's... open to interpretation, I'm just gonna say that much. But we're like probably 20 videos away from there yet, depending on how long Argate wants to keep torturing us with side quests.

Hey now, its more like 14-15!

Credits are rolling on episode 72

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Looking forward to it. Gnosticism is more than just "God is evil".

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I noticed just now. Does the game really record which outfits Shulk and party had during cutscenes so it can show the same ones during flashbacks?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Omobono posted:

I noticed just now. Does the game really record which outfits Shulk and party had during cutscenes so it can show the same ones during flashbacks?

Yes. It was doing that on Wii, too!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yay, I got a shoutout! :neckbeard:

It was fortunate that I happened to be at the exact part of the game where I could record that bit, when I learned about it... and also that I had the means to record it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

WTF CATSUIT MELIA?!?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Is it me, or is the game's audio mixing way off in this episode? The music was much louder than the people talking at certain points, like when Dunban is reassuring Melia about having to fight her people.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Is it me, or is the game's audio mixing way off in this episode? The music was much louder than the people talking at certain points, like when Dunban is reassuring Melia about having to fight her people.

The game's audio mix is kinda bad at some points. I know there's definitely been moments where I just kinda thought that I couldn't hear anyone talking over the music.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Wait was Dickson saying Zanza or Kallian could be Melia's boyfriend in another life because uuuuuhhh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

Wait was Dickson saying Zanza or Kallian could be Melia's boyfriend in another life because uuuuuhhh

Yes, Dickson was intentionally going with the grosser option because he’s a loving rear end in a top hat troll.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

The game's audio mix is kinda bad at some points. I know there's definitely been moments where I just kinda thought that I couldn't hear anyone talking over the music.
Ah, okay. That's...odd. You'd think the Definitive Edition would smooth out stuff like that, but I guess not. At least the subtitles are mostly easy to read, so all is not lost.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
We just recorded something about an hour ago that has fundamentally reshaped our collective understanding about this game and the story it is trying to tell :stare:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

We just recorded something about an hour ago that has fundamentally reshaped our collective understanding about this game and the story it is trying to tell :stare:

:allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Invest. In. Bitcoin.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

nine-gear crow posted:

Ah, you passed the point of no return?
:getin:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zopotantor posted:

WTF CATSUIT MELIA?!?

Yep, Melia gets to be a 2-tailed catgirl in the orion armor look.

Anyway, that scene with Fiora telling Melia to go ahead and gently caress Shulk if she ends up dying is kinda hilarious in a way.
I ended up interpreting the scene as "I like you, you can gently caress my boyfriend if I die!" for some reason when I played through xenoblade.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zopotantor posted:

WTF CATSUIT MELIA?!?

You can blame the silly outfit on me. I ran around with cat costume Melia for awhile because I thought it was funny, and that was the outfit she happened to be wearing when I reached that point in the game. I didn't change it, because again- I thought it was funny.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

nine-gear crow posted:

Is it related to the strange background which we saw in the latest episode posted (and a little earlier as well)? :allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Ya'll are gonna be extremely disappointed when you find out what this revelation was.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Goth angst Shulk confronting the universe is one of my favorite scenes

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Artix posted:

Ya'll are gonna be extremely disappointed when you find out what this revelation was.
Shulk was really Dash Rendar the whole time?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

AradoBalanga posted:

Shulk was really Dash Rendar the whole time?

:haibrower:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So does that make Reyn Leebo?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

:emptyquote:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
It me! I be the Dash Render!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Artix posted:

The Monado was actually a gun the whole time?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Shulk: I'm gonna RENDAR you obsolete Zanza!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Silver Falcon posted:

You can blame the silly outfit on me. I ran around with cat costume Melia for awhile because I thought it was funny, and that was the outfit she happened to be wearing when I reached that point in the game. I didn't change it, because again- I thought it was funny.

I’m not blaming anybody, I just had never seen it before.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In the base game it was really hard to get heavy armour that 1) matched and 2) had gem slots, and even then I'd argue that the Orion set mostly looks bad regardless of whoever wears it. Melia at least gets a cute hood out of it and that's really the best-case scenario.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that the other guy who can see visions is also associated with Zanza. What I wonder is, Alvis comes from a long line of seers, yeah? Were they all disciples of Zanza, or just Alvis?

Also Alvis may be a disciple of Zanza, but as Shulk observed, he's not precisely working FOR Zanza either. Alvis kept helping Shulk by visiting him in dreams even after Zanza split off. He's an odd one, that guy.