Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The Pens are extremely spent and hoping their stars can bail them out as they have for the last decade plus and it absolutely isn't going to happen anymore. Unfortunately GM JR did a poo poo as gently caress job preparing for that so now it's this mess. Matheson for Hornqvist is and was awful. Getting rid of Matheson is going to be messy. Marino's contract not looking better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's kinda lowkey hilarious that MAF is a top 10 goalie this year and Murray and Jarry are absolute dregs though
I don't think anyone saw that coming

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ovie's nutshot reminded me of this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90_bgcvP6N8

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

grack posted:

I'll tell you a little secret:

If the Leafs put on any offensive pressure, like, any at all, the Canucks D will disappear like a ham sandwich in front of Jim Benning

Yeah but have you considered the Leafs?

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
The last 3 Leafs games were so euphoric I don't even mind if they poo poo the bed against the Canucks.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

Non contact injures always make me kinda queasy and when he crumpled here my stomach dropped.

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1367662979320254466

I'm not even sure...feels like maybe he popped his hip out or something weird? Ripped his groin to shreds?

Also gonna say that having to keep feeding Smith and Johnson as many minutes on D as they are is really loving with the Rangers overall defensive effort. Need Trouba back...he helps Miller elevate his game and gives them a good top 4 not 1 top pairing 1 garbage pairing and 1 mediocre as gently caress pairing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't win with less time on the clock than that!

https://twitter.com/ByScottPowers/status/1367681894645723140

Exactly one frame on the overhead camera with the puck in the net before it hit 0.0.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
It sort of blows my mind we live in the year 2021 and the replay cameras and time clocks haven’t been updated since the 90s.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well you have to keep in mind that everyone running the league is older than timekeeping technology. It's natural for seniors to avoid new things.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Walter Gretzky passed away.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
On a similar note, there's no :rip: big enough for the Dallas Stars season

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

AsInHowe posted:

RIP

I assume Canada declares a national week of mourning for this.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Island Nation posted:

RIP

I assume Canada declares a national week of mourning for this.

I could see the NHL doing some memorials.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Walter Gretzky was well known in the area for being seen everywhere a bit buzzed and happy to sign anything "W. Gretzky"

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/1367713800279846919

e: I've been reminded that the Habs fired Claude Julien after they lost two in a row to the Sens. The Flames lost 2 of 4 to the Sens before firing Ward. The Sens are coach killers this year, folks.

Kilza fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 5, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So what are the chances that Geoff Ward found out he was fired by reading that tweet?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1367717904767156226

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Didn't the Flames hire Ward last off-season

Lol

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Didn't the Flames hire Ward last off-season

Lol

Mostly correct. He took over for Bill Peters in late November 2019, then had the interim tag removed in September 2020 by signing a 2 year deal.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/1367713800279846919

e: I've been reminded that the Habs fired Claude Julien after they lost two in a row to the Sens. The Flames lost 2 of 4 to the Sens before firing Ward. The Sens are coach killers this year, folks.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

AsInHowe posted:

It owns that you broke this news, I assume the family notified you

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

https://twitter.com/jachobe/status/1367712131676844032?s=21

In today's edition of "I wonder if nhl players read hockey forums that talk about them"

(apparently deadhead is some dude who posts on the flyers hf boards)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

On a similar note, there's no :rip: big enough for the Dallas Stars season

I had a feeling they were cooked pre-season and said as much

the cup finals run was a mirage which was mostly realized through Khudobin standing on his head and unsustainable scoring rates on the limited chances this team produces. At best (fully healthy) this is a 5-8 seed in the west.

I'm just thankful that Jim Nill was robbed of his ability to try and find "the last piece" in the off-season by COVID destroying our owner's finances. It will turn out to be a real blessing in the future that the Stars didn't sink any resources into this year.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dallas is the new Minnesota. Perpetually mediocre.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Furnaceface posted:

Those Minnesota teams had much better underlying numbers than the Stars of the last few years..

It looked like it was trending upwards right before Montgomery got fired, ever since Bowness took over the Stars are kind of unlike any other team... A historically bad team on offense that plays a really strong defensive system to the point they kind of break even but then they lose games on special teams which are rancid.

The Phoenix Coyotes under Dave Tippet (the bad years where they didn't make the playoffs) may be a better comparison?

***we (Stars fans) have been informed by the media following the team that any discussion of replacing the coach is ridiculous because the team literally has no scheduled practices for the remainder of the season, and any talks of "tanking" are also ridiculous because we have all these terrible contracts for veterans.. and some terrible contracts for non veterans.

So it's really a very hopeless place to be lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 5, 2021

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Iodised QQ posted:

In today's edition of "I wonder if nhl players read hockey forums that talk about them"

A true thorn in the side

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
this smells like poo poo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

this smells like poo poo

That's just Sutter after a few years back on the farm

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The year is 2190 and Caedyn Sutter has just been hired to coach the Flames after a 20 year career with them

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Furnaceface posted:

I really hate this team right now but being denied a conference finals appearance by the eventual champs in game 7 OT (in no small part because of dog poo poo officiating) and following that up by taking a powerhouse lightning to game 6 of the finals (after beating some very good teams) being "mediocre" is certainly a take. Losers? Sure. But I can assure you that the Minnesota wild are very much still the Minnesota wild of hockey.

Stars problems are that the team is banged up after playing more hockey in a shorter stretch than anyone. Then the whole loving team got Rona. Probably most importantly, nill sees no problem with his team and will not seek to improve it other than by maybe trying to clone oleksiak.

There's enough pieces there to build around but they're going to miss this year and need to address major roster holes and I just don't think Nill is the person to do it.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

mennoknight posted:

this smells like poo poo

You preferred Ward? The team is pretty much unwatchable right now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hey Mr Sutter you know who'd help teach those shiftless losers the gumption and hard work needed to win at the NHL level? Your own nephew. Better get on that before some other team snaps up such a sought after deadline rental!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Iodised QQ posted:

Jake totally searches his name on twitter, so I can buy this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Voracek is the most spiteful dude on twitter and I love him for it

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

aejix posted:

A true thorn in the side

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/1367852345313353733?s=19

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Surprised they didn't go for the LTIR loophole. His cap hit is like six million through 2024, right?

Unless he's pissed off and this is his gently caress you to the team.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Surprised they didn't go for the LTIR loophole. His cap hit is like six million through 2024, right?

Unless he's pissed off and this is his gently caress you to the team.

$6.875 through 2024.

E: Athletic just said they'll LTIR him.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

lmao sens got another coach fired