Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stringent posted:

Yeah, I mean it's p obvious he's never done it, but what's the point with someone like that?

About seven minutes I will give you that that's only about 12 oz of chicken and not a pound but I don't want to waste the rest of it, It's also skinless because it's what I've got.

When you consider the time it takes to clean the Processor and just cubing the meat normally I wouldn't really use it unless I needed a ton of ground meat really quickly for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've minced chicken thighs by hand with a knife before, it's fine. It helps if you put them in the freezer for 20 minutes or so ahead of time

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lol if someone started a channel making stuff like that bird guy but in the most convoluted labor intensive way possible they'd have a million subscribers in a few months.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stringent posted:

Lol if someone started a channel making stuff like that bird guy but in the most convoluted labor intensive way possible they'd have a million subscribers in a few months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0TTjjoZoN0

Not even 50k unfortunately

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

If you write a children's cook book and don't add that using a knife should be done with adult supervision you will be sued into dust almost instantly.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kenji's videos are great. It's disorienting when he's putting the camera on and I wish he would edit out that part. But otherwise the camera angle really simulates how you would actually cook in a real kitchen -- moving between stove and sink and spices, juggling cooking and slicing and cleaning, and recovering from dumb mistakes.

Also his late-night no-commentary heavy-breathing POV videos got me through the early months of the pandemic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

About seven minutes I will give you that that's only about 12 oz of chicken and not a pound but I don't want to waste the rest of it, It's also skinless because it's what I've got.

When you consider the time it takes to clean the Processor and just cubing the meat normally I wouldn't really use it unless I needed a ton of ground meat really quickly for some reason

LOL kids don't have enough forum argument brain disease to drive them to chop a pound of meat for ten minutes

Ten minutes of chopping with a knife

This is a recipe that's going to be seen by thousands of kids. You know how many are gonna end up hurting themselves with a knife through ten minutes of chopping

LOL

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You are aware there's a parent who can chop the meat, or y'know you can give the child the smallest amount of responsibility. What's the worst that could happen? A cut finger, oh poo poo guys stop the presses a kid cut themselves.

I bet you wanted to ban lawn darts too.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 5, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

You are aware there's a parent who can chop the meat, or y'know you can give the child the smallest amount of responsibility. What's the worst that could happen? A cut finger, oh poo poo guys stop the presses a kid cut themselves.

This is how people don't get asked to write recipes for publications again

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I professionally edit children's cookbooks. I guarantee we don't keep a tally of "Janice Smith called to say her grandkid needed stitches after making tacos, so whoever wrote the taco recipe, cross them off our contributors' list forever"

Legal gives us a paragraph about caution and adult supervision, it gets included, and after that any missing fingers are not our problem.

That said I'm mostly confused about what ages that newsletter is targeting. It gives instructions for using a can opener but also recommends they listen to "Cake by the Ocean"?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

I professionally edit children's cookbooks. I guarantee we don't keep a tally of "Janice Smith called to say her grandkid needed stitches after making tacos, so whoever wrote the taco recipe, cross them off our contributors' list forever"

Legal gives us a paragraph about caution and adult supervision, it gets included, and after that any missing fingers are not our problem.

That said I'm mostly confused about what ages that newsletter is targeting. It gives instructions for using a can opener but also recommends they listen to "Cake by the Ocean"?

How many recipes have you had where a kid was expected to chop meat with a knife for ten minutes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What are you even arguing for at this point? The parent is obviously present otherwise the kids making it themselves at which point you'd consider the using the stove by themselves just as bad as using a knife.
Your argument is completely incoherent.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Do you have a tattoo of minced chicken thighs, or is this poor person stolen valor

kru
Oct 5, 2003

That was harsh, but arguing that using pre-minced thighs or mincing them yourself is somehow what delineates being 'poor' is loving idiotic

* Crowd boos *

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Someone alert Jacobin, turns out the real frontier of class warfare was minced poultry all along

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kru posted:

That was harsh, but arguing that using pre-minced thighs or mincing them yourself is somehow what delineates being 'poor' is loving idiotic

* Crowd boos *

We did not have Preground chicken in my neighborhood store when I was a child, we did have regular thighs though. It's a cheaper way to make the dish and a useful skill to have if you have leftover chicken parts. If he wanted a dish for parents and children of less fortunate backgrounds to make he should've considered this.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Okay, but you were capable of mincing the chicken, the 'poor person' is capable of mincing the chicken, and the high earner big bucks person can buy pre-minced.

It's the same recipe, just.....with chicken minced separately.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
$1400 stimulus checks are only going to people who can mince their own chicken in front of an auditor

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kru posted:

Okay, but you were capable of mincing the chicken, the 'poor person' is capable of mincing the chicken, and the high earner big bucks person can buy pre-minced.

It's the same recipe, just.....with chicken minced separately.

"The magazine is aimed at getting kids to cook with their parents, with a focus on low-income families and a heavy dose of STEM." Right from the article

He should've presented the recipe with his audience in mind then. And the only reason I minced the meat is someones bizarre assertion that I'd never done it before, usually I'd ignore that but the idea that someone couldn't chop meat finely is just ridiculous.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

And the only reason I minced the meat is someones bizarre assertion that I'd never done it before, usually I'd ignore that but the idea that someone couldn't chop meat finely is just ridiculous.

Well there’s your problem

Stop taking forum arguments seriously

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

"The magazine is aimed at getting kids to cook with their parents, with a focus on low-income families and a heavy dose of STEM." Right from the article

He should've presented the recipe with his audience in mind then. And the only reason I minced the meat is someones bizarre assertion that I'd never done it before, usually I'd ignore that but the idea that someone couldn't chop meat finely is just ridiculous.

I get where you are coming from here, but it's essentially the same as saying 'he used beans from a can! What about the poor people who can only use dry beans?? Why won't he show us soaking the beans!!!'

Minced chicken is cheap and the recipe is still aimed at helping low-income kids cook with their parents.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah we'll have to agree to disagree. I see where you're coming from, and projecting hard but everything in that article and video feels so performative and fake to me. If it was me doing a series on helping lower income families and getting kids acquainted with cooking, I'd be focused on how much cheaper dry beans and preparing your own food is. How you can stretch a simple Carb/Protein blend into many different meals. And put emphasis on teaching the Child some basic techiniques and leaving some of the calls on what to prepare on them so they understand both the method of cooking and how they can adjust it to fit their own needs.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Grem posted:

If you write a children's cook book and don't add that using a knife should be done with adult supervision you will be sued into dust almost instantly.

Whether a kid can use a knife is super besides the point, because this ^^^^^. You won't find a summer camp around that doesn't have some form of knife safety for campers, regardless of age.

Gaius Marius posted:

And put emphasis on teaching the Child some basic techiniques and leaving some of the calls on what to prepare on them so they understand both the method of cooking and how they can adjust it to fit their own needs.

Sure, yes, good. But, and hear me out, maybe a recipe about chickpeas burgers in a kids newsletter doesn't have the time or space to do all of that. I mean poo poo, Kenji has a playlist of 11 videos teaching knife skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itnUJEOXQCg, it's not like he isn't providing ample content that teaches people this.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Imagining some ten year old's first exposure to cooking as chopping raw meat for ten minutes is cracking me up so hard, this has been the best derail ever.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've never done the math on cost savings but it seems like a waste of time to mince your own meat instead of buying pre-minced. Would you even be able to get a good consistency without spending an inordinate amount of time?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Jesus holy poo poo you guys this is the dumbest argument. Here are some videos please watch them instead of talking about this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2BSrIXrpNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmhuu3jMxHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKIs4HyDkwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O33qddMRek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW5s_pRSk2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9cpeoPvCPk

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Check out that sweet knife meat-mincing action in that first vid!

(joking aside, really digging it and the rest look great too. Thanks!)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I also think children should be minced.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stringent posted:

Imagining some ten year old's first exposure to cooking as chopping raw meat for ten minutes is cracking me up so hard, this has been the best derail ever.

Chicken no less. Within that ten minutes that kid has 100% touched everything in the kitchen with their chicken hands.

FWIW I have a dedicated meat grinder that my kids know how to use (with light supervision) though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

flashy_mcflash posted:

Chicken no less. Within that ten minutes that kid has 100% touched everything in the kitchen with their chicken hands.

FWIW I have a dedicated meat grinder that my kids know how to use (with light supervision) though.

dont forget the kid has to debone it first

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Here I was hoping lot of posts were about BA trying to kill their audience again.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Gaius Marius posted:

We did not have Preground chicken in my neighborhood store when I was a child, we did have regular thighs though. It's a cheaper way to make the dish and a useful skill to have if you have leftover chicken parts. If he wanted a dish for parents and children of less fortunate backgrounds to make he should've considered this.

my wife did not have chicken thighs in the store when she was a child. one of her chores was helping hold the chicken's head back while her grandmother slit the throat, and then helping pluck it. kenji should have gone the extra mile and considered this too. it'll also be a useful skill to have during and after the climate apocalype

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

everyone post your chicken-mincing times

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

how fine a mince are we talking here. that will have a big impact. and are we allowed two knives?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kenji: "If your child is using a knife, adult supervision is required"

Gaius Marius: "As a libertarian,

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

fart simpson posted:

my wife did not have chicken thighs in the store when she was a child. one of her chores was helping hold the chicken's head back while her grandmother slit the throat, and then helping pluck it. kenji should have gone the extra mile and considered this too. it'll also be a useful skill to have during and after the climate apocalype

Chickens are a lot easier to kill after you muck the coup once. One time. All it takes.

Anyone that hand chops meat is a psychopath because it's slippery. You're gonna slip and it's going to be bloody.

Anyway here's Beryl. She makes weird food people send her recipes for. She's very deliberately cute. I like her but my roommate would like it if she didn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_LUpivWc4k

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Beryl used to do stuff for Great Big Story, I think? Interesting interviews about how people ate food around the world, but also very twee.

edit: yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrgrPHUGInU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My wife really likes her, she watches her videos in the morning as she's waking up and getting ready for work. I think the perkiness helps her ease into the day.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Just checked and chicken thighs and ground chicken are literally the same price at my grocery store.

Also Kenji's comments didn't seem to me like he was including pre-minced chicken specifically because it was targeted at low-income people, it sounded more like that was a seperate concern that he doesn't do his usual "throw your effort to results ratio completely out of whack and take 24 hours to make a sandwich" bullshit.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Are we not gonna talk about Brad trying to kill ppl with botulism again?

Edit: I am not gonna link the video cuz gently caress BA, but in his latest thing he's making a fermented salsa, where he says to add 1,1.5,2% whatever salt, and that he just kinda eyeballs it. And then adds garlic that, while being roasted in a pan first is prob hitting time/temp requirements to kill off spores, but there really, really, really needs to be warnings about not just guessing with salt and the dangers of garlic when fermenting, esp in a vac sealed bag goddamn.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 5, 2021