Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Okay Xenoblade 2 sounds kind of awesome, like watching a weird dubbed anime on a saturday morning. I'll give it a go after 12 Sentinels. Thanks for the opinions!

Morpheus posted:

Anyway, quick aside about classes in tactics games, I'm not a fan of when tactics games give you custom characters to create, but also story characters to use. I know you don't really have to use any of them, but I always feel like the game wants me to use the plot guys more often than not - I'd rather just have, like, one or two story characters, with the rest being custom. Or just have no plot guys - they don't fight, they simply drive the story forward while their army does the fighting.

The wildest thing is when there are plot characters and custom characters, and like once in a blue moon the game will have one of your generic custom characters give off a piece of pre- or post- battle dialog. It permanently elevates that generic character to a place along the main cast for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iirc in FFTA there are missions where you can opt not to use Marche and if there's post-battle dialog you'll have like, some rando nu mou black mage chide the enemy

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Barudak posted:

XCX is... a mess. Its like "oops all sidequests" and wandering an open world and juggling two different and not balanced combat systems and a story that is so incomplete it feels like they stretched the setup for a story to a full game. It might click with you if you dont mind aimless exploration but if you want structure and consistency this ain't it.

Going all the way back to their roots, I see.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Morpheus posted:

Anyway, quick aside about classes in tactics games, I'm not a fan of when tactics games give you custom characters to create, but also story characters to use. I know you don't really have to use any of them, but I always feel like the game wants me to use the plot guys more often than not - I'd rather just have, like, one or two story characters, with the rest being custom. Or just have no plot guys - they don't fight, they simply drive the story forward while their army does the fighting.

Most of my FFT playthroughs I avoid using the story characters. It's like "look at all of these awesome classes and abilities and options we've set out before you; oh also here are a bunch of overpowered story characters to use so you don't really have to deal with any of that"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cephas posted:

Okay Xenoblade 2 sounds kind of awesome, like watching a weird dubbed anime on a saturday morning. I'll give it a go after 12 Sentinels. Thanks for the opinions!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8P7KhFSA2w

4:00 to 8:00 in this video is mostly just math on the gacha, so feel free to skip that, but the other info in this video helps a lot in actually understanding Xenoblade 2 combat. It took like 70 hours for me until I truly understood the power of Fusion Combos.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Terper posted:

Time to get onto the speedrunning scene!

If you like RPG speedruns, XBC2 is a pretty decent one to watch. It's relatively fast for a game that's so massive (4:30ish to 4ish hours for the record, depending on category), there's no grinding and no cutscenes to watch and some clips and glitches along the way.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I have completed Ryza 2. It was extremely whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I will say I like XC2 way more than 1. I also didn’t really have an issue with the gotcha it was fine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Between the recent Retronauts episode on Xenogears (Patreon exclusive though) and the Kotaku feature on The History Of Monolith Soft I think I have a better understanding on what the hell is going on with Xenoblade. A bit better, anyways.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Reco posted:

Xenoblade 2 is trash and also my favorite game on the switch. I somehow liked it way better than 1 but i think that was just that it was a lot harder for the AI to gently caress up in 2

The UI actually controlled characters too. In XC1 doesn't the AI just not use Melia's main mechanic at all and leave her as mostly dead weight?

kirbysuperstar posted:

X owns, unironically

2 is a garbage fire but it's still worth playing if the interest is there

LMAO at people who say XC2 was a dumpster fire and casually dismiss the myraid of problems XCX has which is pretty much everything except the exploration and Attack on Xenoblade OST (and some of those tracks are pretty bad tbh, like NLA night theme).

XCX's a mess of a game that very clearly wanted to be an MMO on top of having a bunch of awful characters and their :shepface: characters. A XCX remake would be interesting simply to see if they actually try to fix the issues or if they just say gently caress it and double down with more rough mechanics. XC2 has the excuse of losing people to BOTW but XCX was a design mess from the outset.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i have to imagine some of x's issues were it being rushed out because the wii u was desperate for games. though even with more dev time the entire design doc was a mess, yeah.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've learned that there actually is a way to lower command mission's encounter rate! it just requires getting cinnamon up to level 30 first, and she's currently at 25 after finishing chapter 8 (out of 10).

speaking of chapter 8, it seems to be the point where the game's budget ran out. The dungeon consists of the same set of identical rooms copied and pasted eight times in the vague shape of a missile silo. you start at the top of the wrong side and have to go down to the bottom so you can then climb up to the top of the right side, where you fight the boss. afterward she falls down to the bottom, so you have to go back down after her because she has the missile launch key. but when you get there you learn the key was stolen, so you have to climb back up to the top where a locked door is now unlocked. beyond it, you learn the person who stole the key then had the key stolen from them, and then the chapter ends. the only thing even approaching a puzzle is when the boss of the previous chapter shows up to run away from you through a couple rooms where you have to play a two cup shell game with an ante of more backtracking

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Fluffy posted:

LMAO at people who say XC2 was a dumpster fire and casually dismiss the myraid of problems XCX has which is pretty much everything except the exploration and Attack on Xenoblade OST (and some of those tracks are pretty bad tbh, like NLA night theme).

XCX's a mess of a game that very clearly wanted to be an MMO on top of having a bunch of awful characters and their :shepface: characters. A XCX remake would be interesting simply to see if they actually try to fix the issues or if they just say gently caress it and double down with more rough mechanics. XC2 has the excuse of losing people to BOTW but XCX was a design mess from the outset.

I've never played XCX, just watched a friend play it for an hour or so, but I didn't mind that stuff as much because it seemed so MMO-y that I didn't expect say, much of the plot. :v:

I'd probably feel differently if I'd spent money on it.

I think people in general get more upset at something that's got potential to be great and really big problems than something that's overall kinda whatever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
xcx is a game with over a dozen playable characters and no character-select screen

you must find one of the characters, on the very large town map, and talk to them, to rotate them in and out of your party

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the backing percussion for the nighttime town theme sounded just enough like a platter drive disc failure to give me anxiety

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol reminds me of one of the QoL things Ayesha+ added was that you didn't have to waste days of time going back to where a character hangs out if you wanted to swap them back into your party.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Though you had to unlock the ability to do that. At least in Ayesha, the inconvenience had mechanical implications since its a time management sim and ot took time to reach the party members

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that feature was created for people who played through og ayesha on a ps3 emulator that crashed 90% of the time you tried to swap party members (me)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Morpheus posted:

What about FFXIII's plot of "We will defy fate by doing exactly what fate wants us to do, except in a defiant kind of way!"

FF13s plot is a battle shonen where everyone but one cast member thinks they're in some sad grim dark fantasy. The end moral and plan being exactly what Snow wanted to do the whole time ('Head empty no worries be the hero and itll work out') proves he's not only the real hero of the story but makes the whole thing echo classic ff protags of the past like Zidane or Bartz.

"We'll kill you AND stop your plans by sheer will and friendship and love" is just classic poo poo.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

xcx is a game with over a dozen playable characters and no character-select screen

you must find one of the characters, on the very large town map, and talk to them, to rotate them in and out of your party

And don't forget, if you've fulfilled the requirements for one of their Heart-to-Heart events they'll vanish from where they normally wait and will be somewhere around town until the time of day changes away from when the Heart-to-Heart can happen. This was really annoying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

X owns, unironically

2 is a garbage fire but it's still worth playing if the interest is there

:yeah::agreed::discourse::hai:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oxxidation posted:

Also to progress the story past a certain point you need to complete one of those character's affinity quest. It's neither of the two female characters the game sticks with you 90% of the time. You get no warning that it's coming up and it's entirely possible you'll never use the character in question unless you're constantly rotating characters and you weren't making use of player-made characters back when the online stuff worked.

Why was it an affinity quest requirement and not just a regular storyline quest? Who knows. If you never used the character please look forward to grinding up affinity (I think you just needed 1 out of 5?) to do the quest before you can continue though.

There are also quests that exist to give tons of affinity. IIRC they were DLC and only available in the late/post game so those weren't an option for this character's requirement.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know the Disgaea derail is over but I wanted to make one of these and forgot.

The artist is Thomas Wievegg, I know the website url is blocking it

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Oxxidation posted:

the backing percussion for the nighttime town theme sounded just enough like a platter drive disc failure to give me anxiety
I think if they ever rerelease that game my partner might force me to use headphones ;(

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

FF13s plot is a battle shonen where everyone but one cast member thinks they're in some sad grim dark fantasy. The end moral and plan being exactly what Snow wanted to do the whole time ('Head empty no worries be the hero and itll work out') proves he's not only the real hero of the story but makes the whole thing echo classic ff protags of the past like Zidane or Bartz.

"We'll kill you AND stop your plans by sheer will and friendship and love" is just classic poo poo.

That is...

Looking at it that way helps me make sense of that game...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

In hindsight, this explains why I despised FF13 so much. It's not about the hallway (though that didn't help), it's because I hated Snow! I can see it so clearly now: I really liked Zidane, so I really liked FF9 and I really hated Snow, so I hated FF13. Self-reflection! Sometimes it helps.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Snow did nothing wrong.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Like half the cast hates Snow and Lightning and that kid basically bond over mutual Snow hatred and the early poo poo just shows his fuckups so for being the classic hero the narrative really wants to condition you to hate snow.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think Lightning and Hope bonding over wanting to murder Snow was portrayed particularly positively.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Snow fuckin sucks. Fang should've been the Hero character.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I've said it before but the Snow/Lightning/Serah triangle is so perfect on every level because as the oldest sibling with a just-younger sister who did date some real dirtbags that were my age (reminder: Snow and Lightning are the same age! this is how much of a pro she is/how much of a slacker he is!), there is nothing more dead-on than the "I loving hate this waste of space" feeling you get seeing a mistake like that walking around.

It's just that the Snow in my kid sister's life hosed off rather than save the planet and we're probably all better for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snow sucks and his plan works because a god that exists entirely in the datalogs intervenes.

FangxNotVanille OTP

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All the Xenoblade 2 talk made me pick it up again for a new playthrough and there's this flying enemy early in the game on the airship in Torigoth, and I remember it 'cause first time I played it was a real pain in the rear end and took forever and just now I finished it with a Launch Volcanic Storm and drat that feels good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Xenoblade 2 combat feels great when you know what your doing.

And feels like tedious frustration when you don’t

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

much like a lot of other game systems?

(yes i know you said that because the game is bad at teaching you but you just made an incredibly self-evident statement)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nope there are plenty of games where I don’t understand the system but still did fine.

Like I will admit I didn’t understand Berserias combat system as it was my first tales game but it didn’t matter at all.

I still don’t get Xenoblade 1 combat and I beat the game

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Amppelix posted:

(yes i know you said that because the game is bad at teaching you but you just made an incredibly self-evident statement)

The big difference between a lot of rpgs and XB2's combat is that with the latter if you're stuck on a fight and you don't know the finer details of the combat system it's way more difficult to figure out what you're doing wrong because there's so much stuff happening.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Amppelix posted:

If someone hasn't figured out that driver combos murder things, the game forces you to see just how powerful they are in the late(ish) game section where Rex is stuck with Jin, who can do most/all of a driver combo on their own and their AI seems to be set to "driver combo all day erry day" and poo poo just melts because of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Libluini posted:

In hindsight, this explains why I despised FF13 so much. It's not about the hallway (though that didn't help), it's because I hated Snow! I can see it so clearly now: I really liked Zidane, so I really liked FF9 and I really hated Snow, so I hated FF13. Self-reflection! Sometimes it helps.

SNow was 100% right and a good and proper himbo hero. Hating him is the wrong path, friend.

Zerilan posted:

Like half the cast hates Snow and Lightning and that kid basically bond over mutual Snow hatred and the early poo poo just shows his fuckups so for being the classic hero the narrative really wants to condition you to hate snow.

Yeah but also Lightning is not emotionally healthy even before all this poo poo drops and her whole turn is realizing her misaimed anger about the world and Hope's entire arc is that he's just a mini-lightning in that regard and just a bundle of loose nerve endings that has to learn to focus and deal with his emotions.

Snow owns. Lightning Owns. Serah owns. Fang barely exists as a character. And Hope is a tiny angry baby so you probably shouldn't read the narrative as agreeing with his personal demons of "gently caress You Dad!" and "gently caress you Mom for Choosing to fight and leaving me Actually gently caress the guy that saved us". Lightning's Return Owns. Caius owns. Good sub-series.

Also Chronobind owns. Make that it's own standalone game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Sazh owns and there was nowhere near enough of him.