Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It'll be a challenge but I'm sure people will still whack it to the cartoon rabbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shrecknet posted:

Everyone wants to talk about how Lola Bunny got de-sexified but I want to talk about why she's wearing a compression sleeve. You're telling me sports injuries are real in Looney Tunes but you can get an anvil dropped on you, sandwich into an accordion and be just fine :05 later?

The trend of making female characters more "respectable" by reducing the size of their boobs is not great, imo.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
One gains a deep appreciation for how capitalism works when one takes time to think about how many thousands of dollars of labour hours were spent determining the rabbit's ideal fuckability.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Rabbits don't have tits. It's exploitative and gross.

quote:

Mammary Gland and Lactation
The doe has four or five pairs of nipples. The mammary gland develops in the last week of pregnancy. Suckling is stimulated by a pheromone produced by a gland near the nipple.

Consumption of water and caecotrophs by the doe increases 10-fold during lactation.

But for gently caress's sake please don't sexualize animals in general.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hand Knit posted:

One gains a deep appreciation for how capitalism works when one takes time to think about how many thousands of dollars of labour hours were spent determining the rabbit's ideal fuckability.

I assume it was a pretty quick discussion. Some executive said "We don't want viral tweets about how our cartoon rabbit is problematic"

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Probably as much thought went into the Lola Bunny decision as went into the Sonic the Hedgehog movie character design.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
They just made bugs beige lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anonymous Robot posted:

They just made bugs beige lol

That was actually a major concern when they were first making Space Jam. Bugs dressed in drag all the time in the old cartoons, so if they made Lola look too much like Bugs they worried audiences might think she was Bugs in drag. The standard eyelashes and bow additions that normally make a cartoon animal a girl wouldn't work. Her very curvaceous silhouette was the solution.

But now they don't want clickbait articles about exploitative cartoon boobs, and presumably Lola is established enough as a character in her own right, so they can just do eyelashes and and a bow .

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
If Bugs has to have a beard, she better be hot, I tweet angrily

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Although I will say there were people who were angry they made the Dark Queen no longer sexy in the latest Battletoads game which confounded me because they gave her an actual personality and made her a real character that was well performed and it was great.

Eh, you give and you take I guess. Hopefully they do justice to the cartoons.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

James Cameron walked by the department and told the artist "make sure people wanna gently caress that rabbit!"

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therattle posted:

Jessica Rabbit would like to disagree.

jessica rabbit isn't a rabbit, she just took her husband's last name

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Wow, a whole lot of people who haven't seen The Looney Toons Show ITT.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Bugs in drag was always hotter than Lola anyways.

If they've desexualized Lola there better be a scene with Bugs in a dress.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Rabbits don't have tits. It's exploitative and gross.

lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Denying animal anatomy to own the pervs.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Have we considered that young girls would like characters that they can identify with, and that serving their interests is more important than providing masturbation material for their fathers?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Have we considered that young girls would like characters that they can identify with, and that serving their interests is more important than providing masturbation material for their fathers?

Do we know anything about how Lola differs in this movie from the original other than not having big tits?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

Do we know anything about how Lola differs in this movie from the original other than not having big tits?

The original didn't either, they literally just changed what she's wearing so it's not a belly shirt and she's got spandex shorts under her other shorts.

edit:

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Ultimately, this

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Gripweed posted:

It seems slightly odd that the director somewhat implies here that having a lisp makes you less human, but the gist seems to be that he wants to focus on Lola as an inspirational relatable leader figure.

https://ew.com/movies/space-jam-new-legacy-lola-bunny/

quote:

When Space Jam: A New Legacy director Malcolm D. Lee finally watched Space Jam for the first time in 2019, one Tune left him flummoxed.

"Lola [Bunny] was very sexualized, like Betty Boop mixed with Jessica Rabbit," he says of the character who is called "hot" (by Tweety, of all Tunes!) and "the heartthrob of the hoops" in the original movie. "Lola was not politically correct.... This is a kids' movie, why is she in a crop top? It just felt unnecessary, but at the same time there's a long history of that in cartoons."

In preparing for the LeBron James-led New Legacy, which graces the latest EW cover, Lee set out to make a more fully realized Lola, aided by the "leeway" he had since she was created specifically for Space Jam and didn't have the same extensive history as the rest of the Tunes.

"This is 2021. It's important to reflect the authenticity of strong, capable female characters," says Lee. "She probably has the most human characteristics of the Tunes; she doesn't have a thing like a carrot or a lisp or a stutter. So we reworked a lot of things, not only her look, like making sure she had an appropriate length on her shorts and was feminine without being objectified, but gave her a real voice. For us, it was, let's ground her athletic prowess, her leadership skills, and make her as full a character as the others."

Lola is still the Tune Squad's strongest basketball player (well, besides LeBron James), but New Legacy will find her having branched out on her own and reluctant to be pulled back in by her old team, and, chiefly, Bugs Bunny.

"We wanted to meet her with the Amazons, trying to find greener pastures for herself," says Lee, revealing that Lola's reintroduction is set in the world of Wonder Woman, which is just one part of the new film's use of the WB film catalog. "As she says in the movie, there's more to her than just being a Tune."

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Are cartoon rabbits too sexy, or not sexy enough? The answer may surprise you

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Are we honestly discussing a cartoon rabbit's mastectomy here? It's no one's business but hers. So how about showing a little more respect? If not for Lola, then for yourselves.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's such a funny interview.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Goddamn I hate negotiating cast deals. Lawyers and agents have always got such an inflated perception of their clients’ worth and the numbers are ridiculous. What would be a large sum of money for most people is looked down in as a low fee for 8 weeks or so of work. The figures are unmoored from reality. They have become numbers to play with, not actual sums of money.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

"We wanted to meet her with the Amazons, trying to find greener pastures for herself," says Lee, revealing that Lola's reintroduction is set in the world of Wonder Woman, which is just one part of the new film's use of the WB film catalog. "As she says in the movie, there's more to her than just being a Tune."

gently caress movies

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This discussion seems like it could go down...a rabbit hole if we let it. :newlol:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Holy poo poo that interview is stupid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey CineD. Been awhile. Because I believe there are still some people here that care about me I thought I'd share this Twitter thread

https://twitter.com/axleblazeSA/status/1367993839949144064?s=20

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

axelblaze posted:

Hey CineD. Been awhile. Because I believe there are still some people here that care about me I thought I'd share this Twitter thread

Whoa. I’m glad you realised this before it was too late. FWIW I like you and I think a lot of posters here do too!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Klowner posted:

gently caress movies

I'm glad Lola Bunny is now a proud, independent, desexualized piece of cross promotional content for the Warner Brother stable of intellectual properties. This is going to be very good for little girls who will finally have a cartoon rabbit they can aspire to be.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gripweed posted:

The trend of making female characters more "respectable" by reducing the size of their boobs is not great, imo.

When they made that Herbie the Lovebug remake with Lindsay Lohan they CGIed her breasts smaller because people thought her natural look was obscene.

Hand Knit posted:

Every single film version of Superman had whole groups of people having lengthy and serious discussion about how his bulge is supposed to look and multiple costume designs in an attempt to make it look like he's got a dick but not too much of a dick or to round of a bulge or too pointy of a bulge. All this when they could have just put a dance belt on the actors and be done with it.

Fun piece of trivia, Christopher Reeve was wearing a metal codpiece under his costume and he started to get pissed off at Margot Kidder when she wouldn't stop flicking it because she thought the sound was funny.

Gripweed posted:

That was actually a major concern when they were first making Space Jam. Bugs dressed in drag all the time in the old cartoons, so if they made Lola look too much like Bugs they worried audiences might think she was Bugs in drag. The standard eyelashes and bow additions that normally make a cartoon animal a girl wouldn't work. Her very curvaceous silhouette was the solution.

But now they don't want clickbait articles about exploitative cartoon boobs, and presumably Lola is established enough as a character in her own right, so they can just do eyelashes and and a bow .

The real problem is that they don't want a bunch of perverts going on the internet talking all over twitter and reddit about how much they want to gently caress the cartoon bunny because everyone knows what a disgusting pit of horror the internet is and that is inevitable.

axelblaze posted:

It's me. I care. Good to see you again.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

Every single film version of Superman had whole groups of people having lengthy and serious discussion about how his bulge is supposed to look and multiple costume designs in an attempt to make it look like he's got a dick but not too much of a dick or to round of a bulge or too pointy of a bulge. All this when they could have just put a dance belt on the actors and be done with it.

Fun piece of trivia, Christopher Reeve was wearing a metal codpiece under his costume and he started to get pissed off at Margot Kidder when she wouldn't stop flicking it because she thought the sound was funny.

Remember how they had to CG out Spider-Man's dick in the Raimi movies?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
CPL after this pandemic is over we need to actually hang out. I would have actually tried before but I figured if you'd met me you'd hate me because well, you read the thing.

And rattle, you're awesome too ya jewish Brit you

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

axelblaze posted:

It's really good to see ya again. Take care of yourself and you're not alone.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

axelblaze posted:

CPL after this pandemic is over we need to actually hang out. I would have actually tried before but I figured if you'd met me you'd hate me because well, you read the thing.

And rattle, you're awesome too ya jewish Brit you

NEVER!

Yeah get at me whenever because I've been dying to go see some poo poo at the Brattle. It's probably the one thing I miss the most. So that'll be one of the first things I do when it's possible. I've already met one of you assholes (he knows who he is!) in meat space and it was fun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can trust it will be fun now because I am loving awesome

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

axelblaze posted:

I can trust it will be fun now because I am loving awesome

I'm actually just going to plan to meet you at the Brattle and then minutes before the movie I will call to say I have to cancel. But I'm not really going to cancel I'm going to follow you around Harvard Square while peeking out from behind stuff because I am a miniature man and can hide myself behind a variety of objects that wouldn't conceal most people. And even if you do look directly at me you won't know it's me because I just look like "Generic white hipster aged 25-40." and that's a minimum of 60% of people you'll see hanging around there.

I can't wait!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

axelblaze posted:

Welcome back!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

I'm actually just going to plan to meet you at the Brattle and then minutes before the movie I will call to say I have to cancel. But I'm not really going to cancel I'm going to follow you around Harvard Square while peeking out from behind stuff because I am a miniature man and can hide myself behind a variety of objects that wouldn't conceal most people. And even if you do look directly at me you won't know it's me because I just look like "Generic white hipster aged 25-40." and that's a minimum of 60% of people you'll see hanging around there.

I can't wait!

He'll look for the man never wearing shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Coming 2 America was nice. A good stroll down memory lane.