Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pillowpants posted:

Given the publishing of the SEC document regarding next weeks conference, it still lists the approval as anticipated - we're talking about a government that was basically dismantled by an orange goblin. It will take time.

No I understand this is more in case somebody’s not following stuff every day so they don’t have a situation where they’re out of the loop for a few days and they miss the approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
This is a good thread but we really don't need 80% of the posts to be about NDRA. I'm in it a little too, guys. But drat

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

This is a good thread but we really don't need 80% of the posts to be about NDRA. I'm in it a little too, guys. But drat

But have you TRULY heard the good news about our lord and savior NDRA?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I just want to get the stimulus I don't need so i can do more. A lot of this feels like a waste since its not much money.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

drunken officeparty posted:

How soon until we collectively own a controlling interest in NDRA

"The Something Awful liver steatosis diagnoser™"

... ain't too bad sounding!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

nomad2020 posted:

I had a idea for a side gig in the fall that only needed canning jars, gave up on that idea pretty quick.

why, what happened to canning jars

*looks at price*

:eyepop:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

Alright. What are other people's favorite day trade/covered call/investment stocks?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Hey man we found our own meme stock to circle jerk about don’t be jealous

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ayyyy things are swingin' back

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I may also consider investing in SQNXF.

Following up on this to say that, while I see Square-Enix is going through a double-digit dip, and I would like to own a few shares for posterity, Fidelity only allows purchasing at a minimum of 100 shares (which would cost over $5,500 at the moment). Too rich for my blood!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

I've been talking a ton about bond yields here, in the long-term thread, and in the BFC discord lately.

For anyone who wants to dive into a real professional's explanation of how yields can be reflected in market valuation, this discussion is technical but pretty good. Sit aside a chunk of time to digest it:
http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.com/2021/01/data-update-2-for-2021-price-of-risk.html
(I posted one of his tweets in here or the discord, I forget, previously)

if you think about what he's saying there, it also reflects why yields are hitting high-growth (e.g. unprofitable tech) companies more than, say, berkshire hathaway.

Really interesting article, thank you.

I tried to post a comment asking about how you can presume 100% of market value for a stock is based on cash return to investors via dividends & buybacks when calculating the risk return premium, given that actually stocks obviously move as much on a combination of total company value (e.g., reinvestment of 100%+ of cashflow in growth) + irrational exuberance/speculation on the future (see: Tesla); and also I wanted to know if the survivor effect matters when using the S&P500 as a basis for calculating the market's current/future risk return premium given investors buying individual stocks vs. investors actually buying the S&P; but, unfortunately, I keep getting errors from blogspot when I try to submit my comment.

So... any ideas yourself on these questions?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

TheParadigm posted:

Alright. What are other people's favorite day trade/covered call/investment stocks?

I used to pimp DRRX because I was making profits on the run up buying and selling, then it just tanked and I took a 20 biden buck haircut.

Looks like it is coming back now, the market that is!

ickna
May 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

"The Something Awful liver steatosis diagnoser™"

... ain't too bad sounding!

Useful for diagnosing non-alcoholic froggy liver disease

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
It's nice to finally see VTI come up for air.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

I've got shares in DIS, NDRA, F, NXE, CIDM,, ET, and AMC

I also have RYCEY, CCl, BBW, AAL, OXY, and a dozen pharma/pot companies on my watch list.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So is whats happening with EYES a reasonable expectation model for NDRA if they get FDA approval?

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

new rule: if you buy ndra you're not allowed to talk about it unless there's an fda update. its a low volume stock prone to volatility - just stuck $100 or whatever into it and ignore it, and hope one day you come back and its $10 or $15. when that day comes is a mystery, but i am sure it'll result in 500 replies to this thread.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Really interesting article, thank you.

I tried to post a comment asking about how you can presume 100% of market value for a stock is based on cash return to investors via dividends & buybacks when calculating the risk return premium, given that actually stocks obviously move as much on a combination of total company value (e.g., reinvestment of 100%+ of cashflow in growth) + irrational exuberance/speculation on the future (see: Tesla); and also I wanted to know if the survivor effect matters when using the S&P500 as a basis for calculating the market's current/future risk return premium given investors buying individual stocks vs. investors actually buying the S&P; but, unfortunately, I keep getting errors from blogspot when I try to submit my comment.

So... any ideas yourself on these questions?

question #1: my quick and too simple answer is that the ONLY value in a stock is whatever money it eventually returns to its shareholders, and that comes in the form of buybacks or dividends. otherwise you're just selling baseball cards to each other. but I think his model takes into account the fact that investment in company growth today provides for greater returns to shareholders in the future.

question #2: I dunno, probably not since his target here is to value the S&P

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Of the S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats, which are the best buys at the moment?

(List: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26P_500_Dividend_Aristocrats)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

question #1: my quick and too simple answer is that the ONLY value in a stock is whatever money it eventually returns to its shareholders, and that comes in the form of buybacks or dividends. otherwise you're just selling baseball cards to each other. but I think his model takes into account the fact that investment in company growth today provides for greater returns to shareholders in the future.

question #2: I dunno, probably not since his target here is to value the S&P

For #1, that's the theory. In practice, as evidenced countless times in this thread, people often buy a stock because they think it will go up, and then sell it when it goes up, with total disregard for current or future potential to return cash to investors. So I don't think we can claim that we can calculate a risk premium for a stock based entirely on its projected future cash return to investors, even though we ought to be able to, if stock market participants were all rational actors only buying stocks they think will eventually pay a dividend or return value via share buyback or both.

e. like this assumption is based on technical analysis traders not existing, nevermind memestonks.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lucira is now trading at 2.5 the value of their cash on hand. I think this is a stellar pickup right now.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

You knows it's been a rough week when hoping to wind up only slightly down for the day feels like a huge win.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Red posted:

Of the S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats, which are the best buys at the moment?

(List: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26P_500_Dividend_Aristocrats)

From a brief glance at where we've been for the past year, CHD catches my eye as being at a decent pricepoint, but I don't know anything about the company beyond that and the sector so I guess check into it before making any big decisions.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

reignofevil posted:

From a brief glance at where we've been for the past year, CHD catches my eye as being at a decent pricepoint, but I don't know anything about the company beyond that and the sector so I guess check into it before making any big decisions.

Interesting; I'll look into them and Target. I originally thought Sysco, but the price seemed too high.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol green for the day.

Stonks

Now if PLTR could get off it's rear end....

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

cr0y posted:

Lol green for the day.

Stonks

Yep I just dipped into the green. Good enough shut it down see you Monday.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Live quotes on E*Trade finally! I selected it again on a hunch of d+2 deposit credits. (No I did not trade on 15 minute delayed quotes b4 lol)

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

I’d be back to green but still turbofucked on NCHL — at least the bleeding somewhat stopped.

Obligatory NDRA post: Sunk a couple grand more in at 1.90. Cmon baby!

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

I’d be back to green but still turbofucked on NCHL — at least the bleeding somewhat stopped.

Obligatory NDRA post: Sunk a couple grand more in at 1.90. Cmon baby!

NCLH and CCL are fine, they're going to explode in the next few months.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

Live quotes on E*Trade finally! I selected it again on a hunch of d+2 deposit credits. (No I did not trade on 15 minute delayed quotes b4 lol)

What does this mean? I use eTrade 🥰

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I had 200 shares of FB that I got at 250 in Jan and been just so annoyed with its movement the last 3 months. Amazingly, it held its value through this last correction. Happily, converted that into more Zillow, Redfin and expi. I’m nearly 100% now in real estate disruption stocks. Zillow at 130 is nuts

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

cr0y posted:

What does this mean? I use eTrade 🥰

You have to have 1k in to get 'live quotes' on your account. You can always see the real price on buy/sell orders and work around it with Yahoo Finance which is basically live, but you have to refresh sometimes, used to run all my stocks in tabs to see them 'live' ET ain't that bad I would say now, the 'app' on their website for laptop is pretty decent!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

You have to have 1k in to get 'live quotes' on your account. You can always see the real price on buy/sell orders and work around it with Yahoo Finance which is basically live, but you have to refresh sometimes, used to run all my stocks in tabs to see them 'live' ET ain't that bad I would say now, the 'app' on their website for laptop is pretty decent!

Wow I did not know they locked that down below a certain portfolio value. Kinda lovely tbh lol.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know Micheal you'd make more money getting a job at McDonald's then you can possibly make day trading, and you won't accidentally lose it all.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

You know Micheal you'd make more money getting a job at McDonald's then you can possibly make day trading, and you won't accidentally lose it all.

At this point I just assume it's mild trolling. No one can seriously be this way about $800 lol

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah, working and hoping on a job for 17.50/hr, good for me but not what I once made, but yeah I'd be happy with it full bennies and 4.50 more than I make now, plus no 'self employment' tax!

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an easy way to see what a stock's "buyback yield" is, like how we can see the dividend yield?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

For #1, that's the theory. In practice, as evidenced countless times in this thread, people often buy a stock because they think it will go up, and then sell it when it goes up, with total disregard for current or future potential to return cash to investors. So I don't think we can claim that we can calculate a risk premium for a stock based entirely on its projected future cash return to investors, even though we ought to be able to, if stock market participants were all rational actors only buying stocks they think will eventually pay a dividend or return value via share buyback or both.

e. like this assumption is based on technical analysis traders not existing, nevermind memestonks.

I know what you mean, but the guy writing the blog is a professor of finance doing a discounted cash flow valuation exercise, so, he's gonna ignore stuff like TA and short-term speculation.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I just wanted to follow up on NDRA. Still haven’t heard back from their investor relations yet, will try and follow up with them. I have a really busy day so if anyone could try filling out the contact form and asking them the question I posted about earlier on the thread (regarding the timing of an FDA approval press release and how to find out when it occurs via an alert system) I’d really appreciate it.

Just so I understand, you’re contacting the company in hopes they leak confidential information to a random internet person? (And also asking for others to do the same?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Just so I understand, you’re contacting the company in hopes they leak confidential information to a random internet person? (And also asking for others to do the same?)

My understanding is that they are contacting IR to determine what communications will go out to investors when an FDA decision is announced.