Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
The Athletic has a pretty great article with former Sabres captains that is pretty brutal.
https://theathletic.com/2426679/202...ch_query=sabres

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Daryl Sutter is younger than John Tortorella.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Think of how much better the Canucks' situation would be right now if they just had the good sense to lose 2 of the games they played against the Sens earlier in the season.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Yeah I dunno if he's trying to be positive or not, sounds like it could go either way but hoping it's a muscle strain. The way he reached for his right leg made me think less knee or groin, maybe hamstring?

Kakko back in tomorrow, sounds like he was sick w/ covid but not badly...hopefully he doesn't have any complications :\

Also Chris Kreider is cool and good and everyone who bitched about signing him to that contract should hush :colbert:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Ah Christ

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

Yeah I dunno if he's trying to be positive or not, sounds like it could go either way but hoping it's a muscle strain. The way he reached for his right leg made me think less knee or groin, maybe hamstring?

Kakko back in tomorrow, sounds like he was sick w/ covid but not badly...hopefully he doesn't have any complications :\

Also Chris Kreider is cool and good and everyone who bitched about signing him to that contract should hush :colbert:

Still not wild about his contract but Troubas is worse and Kreider is really stepping up lately so I'm happy!

Also I think they should give him the C.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr Zaius posted:

The Athletic has a pretty great article with former Sabres captains that is pretty brutal.

wooooof that is a tough read.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If only there was some way to be proactive. Also no one is looking for someone to swoop in and save the season. Sell you idiot.

https://twitter.com/QuadreIli/status/1367904822142193664?s=19

Really turned it around in a hurry there Jim. If you thought we were going to be good in two years why did you go all in last year?

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 5, 2021

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Greatest moment in Stars history.

https://youtu.be/DmfMQ8wx5k0

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

NHL N/V March: Ah, Christ.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Still not wild about his contract but Troubas is worse and Kreider is really stepping up lately so I'm happy!

Also I think they should give him the C.

Contracts wouldn't be really that bad either way if covid hadn't hosed the cap and future caps. Kreider is paid pretty well market value for what he brings. Trouba is a bit overpaid but I think the Rangers D is really hurting with him out right now. He's far from perfect but he also brings a lot more to the team and the defense than I think people want to admit. Him paired with Miller was/is a very good thing and needs to happen again as soon as he's healthy

Smith getting roasted repeatedly last night and Johnson repeatedly making bad plays is pretty hard to watch

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Cocaine Bear posted:

I'd throw Maurice in there but he's apparently been appointed Winnipeg coach for life regardless of coaching outcomes.

The fanbase loves Maurice, and all of the team's failures lay on whoever the scapegoat of the month is. I'm waiting to see who is next to be blamed now that Laine is gone.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

None of the Jets fans I talk to like Maurice at all.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Staring at Penguins spreadsheets and I wish I was smarter or had the tools to try and piece together what my brain thinks might be going on and what is. So unfortunately trying to piece this together it helps to write it down, read it, and then re-read it and then post to see if I'm missing something or I'll just delete this post when I end up where I started, which is with gently caress all.

Starting with the game last night: Malkin is a -1 with 2 GF and 3 GA all 5v5 with 1 assist. On the season Malkin is now a -8 on the year 14 points of which 11 are evens. When looking at the pairings last night on a prompting by Good Soldier Svejk when talking about the Marino/Pettersson pairing...a big glaring 3 GA for Marino and Malkin on the ice together pops out. So what I'm working through is who is bringing whom down and how much of it is system/coaching personnel decisions. Our focus is on this particular triangle of players: 1. Malkin 2. Marino and 3. Matheson.

Evgeni 'Geno' Malkin currently sports a 53% corsi for, 49.5% shots for, 41% Goals for, 47.5% xGF, and 50/50 regular chance splits with a 40/60 High Danger Split (Natural Stat Numbers). Hockey-Ref places Geno at a 38/62 xGF and Evolving puts him at 45% xGF. Outside his rookie season this is the first season Malkin has not been on the + side of expected outcomes. Looking at linemates Geno has spent 2/3rds of his ice time with Jason Zucker who has also not exactly lit the world afire this year. Flanking these two has been Rust and Kappenen along with McCann rotating onto the wing with Zucker going down. Without massively getting into Zucker with this particular novel all I can say is Zucker currently an anchor and he was only slightly better the year prior. The other 2 linemates in Kap and McCann have better numbers away from Malkin than with him. Going with straight across the board 'chemistry' bullshit Blueger/McCann/Kapanen looks like they all accentuate each other and have both good on ice and expected results. SO BACK TO GENO....is Zucker to blame? Not sure, but he certainly isn't helping.

Our next look is at Mike Matheson. 48% shorts for, 47% xGF , and 47% actual GF. Hocke-Ref has him at a 40% xGF and Evolving as it does puts him between the 2 with 45% xGF. Mike's ice time is split pretty evenly across the forwards with Aston-Reese and Geno both having the largest share. With Matheson on the ice at 5v5 the Pens have scored 12 and given up 13. With Geno on the ice Matheson craters to a 33% GF player. 25% GF with Zucker. His expecteds across the board with the entire forward core aren't great either. Matheson only positive xG numbers are with Rust, Guentzel, Sid, and Malkin?!?! The gently caress. Yup per evolving Geno and his 45% xGF and Matheson's 45% xGF when combined with Evolving's model becomes 52% expected GF. What in the gently caress? Interestingly Matheson + Rust is a huge jump in xG and Guentzel is the same 55% with or without Mike. Sid craters from 56% xG to 50/50.

THAT BRINGS US TO MIKE MARINO. Matheson has played 81% of his 5 on 5 ice time with Mike Marino. To date no Penguins skater has played as much as Marino. Breaking things down to TOI/GP Marino is 2nd with 23:25 behind Letang's 24:18. Dumoulin is the TOI/GP at evens with Marino right behind and Matheson very shortly after. Flat out this year Marino has sucked. 49% Corsi for, 46% shots for, 47% GF, xGF of 43%, and 47% chance for and 40/60 high danger for by Natural Stats count. 34% xGF from Hockey-Ref and 43% from Evolving. On the backend Marino has spent 52% of his 5v5 time with Matheson and most of the rest with Ceci or Pettersson followed by single games with Letang, PoJ, and Ruhd. We've gone a bit over Matheson up there so the big thing here is the only positive actual on ice outcomes with Marino are when he's paired with Ceci and Ruhd. Everyone else has significantly worse outcomes when paired with Marino. This is true of all the forwards except Rust and McCann. Marino is a drag on both Sid and Guentzel to the point where they go from 56% xGF to 50/50 players.

Now I've written all this poo poo and spun it around in my head for a bit. I have some thoughts. The acquisition of Jason Zucker by GM JR did not help this team. Going back to last year the only player Zucker had positive xG when paired with was Patrick Hornqvist up top and interestingly Marino, Pettersson, Dumo, and Schultz all had their real (minus Schultz) and expected numbers jump with Zucker. Most of Zucker's time was with Sid/Simon/Sheary though. Fast forward to what I originally was asking. The Malkin performances. In the playoffs Malkin and Zucker were put together with Rust and then Hornqvist. xG with Rust is very good. With Hornqvist it's bad. Hornqvist's fancies in the bubble are real bad. This is probably what GM JR judged and executed him on. Unlike the regular season backing; Zucker and Malkin's expecteds crater when on the ice with the Marino/Pettersson pairing. Every other pairing (excpet JMFJ) has great expecteds.

This leaves me with a combination of conclusions so this is the tl;dr shut the gently caress up Rex!
Malkin has slowed way down.
Malkin + Zucker does not work. Malkin + Zucker + Marino is an absolute disaster. Geno is a -5 at 5v5 and 4 of those are with Marino backing him up. Matheson/PoJ tie with -3 there and with the forwards all splitting a bunch.
John Marino is the biggest problem on the Penguins back end. The only player he actually drags down more than Matheson is PoJ. This is a huge loving problem with Marino stepping into a Mike Matheson contract.

How do the Penguins solve this? I honestly don't loving know. I think you unfortunately have to start with Sullivan. Which sucks. GM JR did him no favors in assembling this roster acquiring forwards that do not appear to compliment the players they are going to be playing with. His system of dropping the center to below the goal line to help the defenseman is continuing to leave the slot way too open and that is what is costing the Penguins goals constantly now. They do not have the footspeed to come back win a battle and then move as a unit in the breakout. This leads to turnovers and high chance opportunities within the 'house' area which Jarry has at least made a first save on lately, but look at last night. Multiple free rebound opportunities for the Flyers because of positioning and system. With a bit more structure and a slightly more conservative d zone scheme that can lead to a functional breakout the team could rebound. However, from a players standpoint the issues could potentially be addressed, but significantly unlikely to be anything more than shuffling deck chairs at this point.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 5, 2021

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

goatse guy posted:

The fanbase loves Maurice, and all of the team's failures lay on whoever the scapegoat of the month is. I'm waiting to see who is next to be blamed now that Laine is gone.

we do?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

goatse guy posted:

I don't think the fan base blamed Laine for the last couple of seasons. If anything buff retiring and trouba asking out are what's blamed. Everyone knows Winnipeg has a bad defense and those two guys leaving are the excuse and get the hate from the fans

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, you guys hate having competent special teams.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah, you guys hate having competent special teams.

Oh yeah that poo poo is the worst

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Dr Zaius posted:

This has to be Mike Peca. Has to be.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

ThinkTank posted:

If only there was some way to be proactive. Also no one is looking for someone to swoop in and save the season. Sell you idiot.

https://twitter.com/QuadreIli/status/1367904822142193664?s=19

Really turned it around in a hurry there Jim. If you thought we were going to be good in two years why did you go all in last year?

I can't loving believe Jim Benning's depressed parking lot attendant energy style of management didn't turn the Canucks around faster!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sabers fan I know on discord thinks Lindy Ruff.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It was like 6 months ago that a bunch of TV guys were saying that the Canucks were the new Blackhawks and would be Cup competitors for years

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1367932755275841536

Could be worse! Hope he's better soon

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oof, groin strains are tough for goalies but as long as it really is "mild"

Pens talk, isn't Marino a sophmore player? Might just be sophmore slumps and being asked to take on more than he can realistically handle so far

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

How do the Penguins solve this? I honestly don't loving know.

Not sure why Sullivan broke up the Rust/Guentzel/Malkin line after Malkin looked pretty good with it. Marino is having a sophomore slump. Happens to a lot of players.

Not sure there is a whole lot to fix with the Pens though. Their best players are getting old. They have to hope Malkin is just having an off year and that he has more to give. If this is just what he is now, they're toast, and no coaching changes or personnel changes are likely to change that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

gently caress jim benning

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I guess you can technically compete for a lottery spot.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

JawKnee posted:

gently caress jim benning

:hai:

I get the kind of GM who never wants to face facts and kick off a rebuild. It's shortsighted, it's incompetence, but I understand why a GM would take that route and it's nothing unique.

What really blows me away is how Benning has waffled from season to season and even week to week between rebuilding and stocking up. He's either wasted or blundered every trade deadline and every free agency. The Toffoli affair should have been inexcusable. Any GM in the league regardless of track record would deserve to be fired over absolutely pissing away that much in assets, in such a short period, in a completely predictable circumstance. And yet. And yet.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1367951523951558660?s=20

Thank goodness, Adams has full authority on hockey decisions.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/BuffaloVogl/status/1367952835476865026?s=19

Jack's loving good as gone lmfao

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Thanks for the cool and good effortpost.

I think you're joining most Penguins fans, myself very much included, in trying to talk yourself out of the obvious conclusions the numbers and eye test both point to: that Geno is toast, and that Marino is a bottom pairing guy that had a real good rookie year and the team leapt to what turned out to be an erroneous conclusion that he was a top pairing guy.

The bad news is that Malkin and Letang are eating up $17M of cap space, which makes adding desperately needed depth pretty much impossible unless it's coming from their prospect pipeline (which it isn't). The kinda-sorta good news is that they're both only signed for one more year. If they can avoid the blunder of re-signing them, they might be able to assemble another contender on the fly before Crosby's demise if they correct diagnose their problems and make some smart moves to address them.

But, uh, Brian Burke is in charge. You do the math.

The team would probably be in better shape had they sent Rutherford packing two years ago, when it became apparent he was past giving a poo poo about building a 21st century contender and was just going to collect players who play the way he thinks hockey should be played. i.e. on the day he told ownership "hey, I want to sign Jack Johnson for All The Years and All The Money."

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 5, 2021

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i wonder how many other dozens of dudes currently in the NHL have spent their entire careers doing this and will have a similar moment down the line, and then i get real sad about it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably all of them? They worked their way into a league where results are the only thing that keep you employed and there's always someone younger and more fearless chomping at the bit to replace you. In theory the contracts make it worth it.

No one retires with a story about how they feel great and ready to climb Everest.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

Probably all of them? They worked their way into a league where results are the only thing that keep you employed and there's always someone younger and more fearless chomping at the bit to replace you. In theory the contracts make it worth it.

No one retires with a story about how they feel great and ready to climb Everest.

except for Jaromir Jagr

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

And Gary Roberts!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I do hope he gets a move somewhere so he can perform well instead of being asked to try to hold up the anchor without much help. I’d like to see him have a standout season soon, but I worry that Buffalo may have broken him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This guy could easily bench Jagr and Roberts:

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Sutters gas face when Tkachuk does something retarded is going to be so cool

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think you guys are freaking out just a lil bit by claiming Malkin is toast. He's getting old and maybe he is about to enter a severe decline but it's also been what like 20 games or whatever in a weirdo covid season. And he was one of the best players in the league just last year.

Give me a full 82 season of this before I draw that conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

The Golden Man posted:

Sutters gas face when Tkachuk does something retarded is going to be so cool

ya he is gonna ride that kid out of town. first time he pulls that between the legs poo poo. honestly looking forward to it.