Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Employee appreciation email number 6 just arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Do you feel appreciated yet?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Not until I get 10 emails

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are you replying to each of them as they arrive?

A nice "thx hun x x x" perhaps?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Were having an employee appreciation luncheon at a restaurant the org owns, but theres no way im driving a half hour in the rain to get a mediocre lunch ill have to eat in the corner somewhere since covid is still a thing. The lifers at my org either keep there heads down and never do any sort of non work interaction with other employees, or they're related to each other and basically just hang out all day while 'working'. During the last big employee appreciation luncheon they gave out medals for the employees who had worked there over 5 years, and more then half of them never showed up for the luncheon.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

The company I'm contacted for also does not provide free coffee, though there is a cafeteria with a vendor-run kitchen (well, was in pre-COVID) so it's entirely possible that part of their contract was that only THEY can have coffee, or something?

Though every floor has 1 or 2 kitchenettes with a microwave or two, fridge, and a Keurig, so anyone was free to bring their own K-Cups, and at least a couple departments (usually the "nice/fancy" ones like Sales and Marketing) would always have those large Costco boxes of Kirkland K-Cups for their team.

But in the same vein as "penny-wise, pound-foolish," our department had to send multiple emails and calls to various managers before they FINALLY approved us buying two new plastic carts for wheeling around equipment, since over the course of a few years the small, cruddy ones we already had kept breaking more and more. One literally had a wheel fall off while carrying some monitors and broke two $150+ high def monitors, and each of these new carts was a whopping $125.

Now I'm currently in the process of killdisking and throwing away into an e-waste bin laptops that are maybe 2.5 to 3 years old. Good laptops that run $400-$600 used on eBay and Amazon. But the managers/higher ups who got them don't want them anymore and want new ones.

Pretty much everyone on our team that wanted to has taken more than a couple to keep or sell (according to my post history, I've sold at least 9 here on SA Mart alone (though not all of them the $400-$600 models,) nevermind local and eBay). They donated some to some non-profits, but decided the effort to buy non-profit licenses of windows and then have us install and QA them before donating wasn't worth it, so into the e-waste bin (my car) they go.

You're doing the right thing, re-use them by selling them on ebay. Better for the environment, better for you too.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Greader posted:

Crazy stories about poop and piss reminded me during my apprenticeship I worked at a warehouse with office space adjacent. The system had a internal mailing and notification system and one day someone send a mail to everyone. The reason: Someone took a dump, and instead of using toilet paper or anything else, they took the towel of the nearby sink, wiped their rear end with it, and put it back where it was. The writer of the mail was the one to find it first and they in lovingly detail described what they found and how disgusted they were by it.

Of course, this was the same toilet where eventually signs were hung on how to properly sit and poop as some people had trouble not missing with it somehow. The worst part is that amongst my fellow apprentices there were at least two who I would trust to do that kinda crap :v: Don't think they ever found out who was responsible.
We have signs about flushing on two cubicles in the toilets next to IT because whoever is responsible always uses those two cubicles

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dr.Smasher posted:

When I worked in an office for a multinational plumbing supply company, they wouldn't even spring for salt and pepper in the lunch area of their new million dollar Gensler-designed office. You want condiments and seasoning? Pay for it yourself or get hosed.

It is very much industry dependent I think.

Media & Finance and “cool” tech companies tend to have laughably generous kitchens and free stuff and proper coffee.

Regardless of profitability honestly.

Old fashioned companies are cheap, a former employer of mine, new media adjacent, was cheap enough to:

* issue off brand laptops with the top case covered fully in a company logo decal. Real classy in meetings.

* Keep most of the office on single 15” poo poo quality LCDs into the 2010s.

* Send around group emails warning that company milk was for tea and coffee only, and some people had been seen using it for cereal.

* Apparently not have a thermostat & timer, relying on entirely on manual action to turn on heating / aircon - so no pre-conditioning: the office was stifling or freezing for hours after work started for half the year.
And they’d turn off aircon when they left - so anyone working late just choked.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Saalkin posted:

Not until I get 10 emails

Are they using clipart and word art to really how much they appreciate you?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Steakandchips posted:

You're doing the right thing, re-use them by selling them on ebay. Better for the environment, better for you too.

Yeah, and I know that odds are, all that e-waste is maybe disassembled here in the state and the plastic and metal recycled, and then the actual boards and poo poo are shipped off to Africa, China, or India where children pick through it and a whole town dies of cancer from fumes in the "recycling plant."

Or the recycling place here in the states lies and just ships it to a state where it's legal to throw e-waste in with the regular trash and gets rid of it there.

wooger posted:

It is very much industry dependent I think.

Media & Finance and “cool” tech companies tend to have laughably generous kitchens and free stuff and proper coffee.

Regardless of profitability honestly.

Old fashioned companies are cheap, a former employer of mine, new media adjacent, was cheap enough to:

Makes sense, this company is def. "old fashioned" (founded in mid 1800's.)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

TacticalHoodie posted:

Are they using clipart and word art to really how much they appreciate you?

The one from my bosses boss used cartoon version of yourself thing that you can make.

Wtf anyone know what I mean and what that stupid poo poo is called?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A friend who works at Google took me on a tour of their office. Free cafeteria with a top tier menu was impressive. It was a weekend so no one was cooking but they had a lot of premium snack items out, and he confirmed it was fine for me to grab a few and no one blinked an eye. Seemed nice.

Meanwhile at my MegaCorp an adjacent team controls the steps for pushing out updates my dept creates. As most of their team doesn't want to do this, it falls on their nicest employee who works late each day and weekend, as their role used to be done by two but after the other person left it was easier for their manager to do nothing rather than try to justify a dreaded "headcount." As this person once mentioned taking zero days off the last two years, I've been trying to stress to my manager we need to less their workload by taking tasks or get them backup, as I have no clue why they haven't already left for double the pay at Amazon or burned out.

My not-great teammates have gone the other direction, and despite being aware this person is swamped have begun implying in meetings that their updates are being delayed because this person is playing favorites or not working hard enough. :cripes:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My not-great teammates have gone the other direction, and despite being aware this person is swamped have begun implying in meetings that their updates are being delayed because this person is playing favorites or not working hard enough. :cripes:

My GOD.

I have to say, I should be appalled by that sort of behavior, but drat if I'm not also impressed. *low whistle*

Sounds like Not-Great Teammate is on the management track for sure

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Out of college I worked a contract job for a major medical tech company, who had a luuuuucrative contract with Microsoft. There was a snack room about the size of a medium walk in closet, and it was packed to the ceiling with nice treats and drinks, all of it free, I want to say that was provided by that MS contract.

That was the single redeeming aspect of that job, but it was definitely a nice one.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

lamb posted:

My job, a company of over 30,000 people, uses Lotus Notes.

My company is also using Lotus Notes.

We are transitioning to Office 365 this year.

My god do I hope that as IT we get first dibs, because this is the most painful software I've ever used.

Within about 3 days of starting I figured a way around the most annoying parts (emails opening in the same windows, SameTime pinging at loving ungodly volumes, Lotus Notes becoming the active window at any notification) and was treated by some sort of god as a result.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

teen witch posted:

Lmao similar hat and people getting LIVID that I’m not answering at 3am IT IS AN EMERGENCY

Forget the fact that my signature, where they got my number from, also contains the country code and address

I work in an international field, email with people all over the world and this happens so much.

When I get in to work I'll see like 4 or 5 emails from the same person asking why I didn't respond to the first email. Binch sorry not sorry that I don't answer emails in the literal middle of the night while I'm dead asleep. gently caress I don't even answer emails outside of work hours period unless it's an actual serious emergency.

Also this thing they are so worked up about is literally never any sort of emergency or anything that can't wait a day or three to be addressed.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

We've got a really nice espresso machine which is all I need, I don't want access to tons of snacks at work that'll just build bad habits and get me fat.

Everyone else here drinks sodas and eats chips from the break room all the time, it's gross

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

This is a slightly esoteric complaint but I'm paring down a GIS database to only entries that we need for a certain project. There's two general ways of doing this: make definition queries to exclude categories you don't want or copying the database and using a combination of manual and categorical deletions to carve away everything you don't want. I'm fine with either depending on the complexity of the data extraction, but my boss feels strongly that definition queries are the only way of doing things. So I've got to create a gigantic list of SQL statements to define what the data should be rather than just... deleting what shouldn't be there.

If that's confusing, imagine you're a stone carver and you need to make a sculpts out of a cube shaped blocks. Sometimes you sculpt a wedge, sometimes a pyramid, shapes that are easy to define and carve with planar cuts using your stone saw.

Imagine now, though, that today you have to carve a bowl of fruit out of the block... but your boss won't let you use a chisel. No, you still have to use your stone saw, even if it would take 100,000 intricate, time consuming cuts. That's what I'm doing with this database right now.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Riatsala posted:

This is a slightly esoteric complaint but I'm paring down a GIS database to only entries that we need for a certain project. There's two general ways of doing this: make definition queries to exclude categories you don't want or copying the database and using a combination of manual and categorical deletions to carve away everything you don't want. I'm fine with either depending on the complexity of the data extraction, but my boss feels strongly that definition queries are the only way of doing things. So I've got to create a gigantic list of SQL statements to define what the data should be rather than just... deleting what shouldn't be there.

If that's confusing, imagine you're a stone carver and you need to make a sculpts out of a cube shaped blocks. Sometimes you sculpt a wedge, sometimes a pyramid, shapes that are easy to define and carve with planar cuts using your stone saw.

Imagine now, though, that today you have to carve a bowl of fruit out of the block... but your boss won't let you use a chisel. No, you still have to use your stone saw, even if it would take 100,000 intricate, time consuming cuts. That's what I'm doing with this database right now.

Getting flashbacks to GSP 101 and having to use arc's sql statements and shuddering

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Another one of the department heads at my job got COVID, the second time in maybe one month.

I'm fairly certain they're only emailing us when the department heads get it, not anyone else. Possibly because all others are not actually telling HR.

They're advising everyone who was around him for "15 cumulative minutes unmasked, or 24 hours total" to go get tested and quarantine. This dude has probably been spewing COVID air all over his entire department for days and days.

Basically my office is a hot zone and I really do not want to ever go in there again. lmao

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

With the two Megacorps I've worked for I think the issue has been their food service provider. They both use the same one and both had a pay-for-coffee policy. Both places had people raise money to get Keurigs to put in the break room/kitchenette, which was just sad.

I can one-up the coffee thing, though. When I started my previous job they had a water cooler in the break area and when the manager giving us new hires a tour of the office came across this he said "If you want to join the water club, it's two dollars a week." You could either pay to get watercooler water or you could use the city water that came out of the taps and tasted terrible. I had never seen that level of cheapness from a company in my life and I think it was a scam run by the woman who collected the dues of water club members. The water provider clearly had a contract with the company as they had passes to get into the building and could move around unsupervised, so I have no idea how or why people were paying for this.

About two years after I started our team moved to a new building with wall mounted filtered water dispensers. The woman who ran the water club in our old office was furious about this and sent out an all group (250 people at the time) e-mail stating she was reestablishing the water club in case anyone wanted "real filtered water" again. I can't think of a single person I knew who signed up for that.

lmao we also had a pay-to-play water club, as well as zero coffee

A few years after I started (and declined to join the club) someone discovered they the inside of the machine was all gross and had never been serviced or had the filter changed. They called a tech to service it that involved levying a special assement against the club members

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Another one of the department heads at my job got COVID, the second time in maybe one month.

I'm fairly certain they're only emailing us when the department heads get it, not anyone else. Possibly because all others are not actually telling HR.

They're advising everyone who was around him for "15 cumulative minutes unmasked, or 24 hours total" to go get tested and quarantine. This dude has probably been spewing COVID air all over his entire department for days and days.

Basically my office is a hot zone and I really do not want to ever go in there again. lmao

it's good thing covid follows strict rules like "15min/24hrs". Definitely a fact based approach to a deadly airborne virus

lmao

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol I went into my office, threw the shipping poo poo on the scale and left in like 30 seconds

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

There's a post on our intranet about employee appreciation day. Really makes me feel needed. Could have offered an additional day off or something, but this is great.

I'm convinced that any executive who suggests getting rid of coffee or other similar bullshit cost cutting should immediately be fired, that'd save more and be much better for morale.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Nobody sent me anything about Employee Appreciation Day <:mad:>

I once told my boss he could come in and instead of saying "good morning" he could tell me how much he wished I had died on the way in, but if he aggressively fought for my career and/or more pay, he'd still be the best boss ever. Guess what he never did :v:

I don't use the coffee machines at work because I've seen what they can look like on the inside and . . . yikes. Nope. If we don't have a regular pot, I'll just bring my own. I'd probably just bring my own anyway because I drink black coldbrew, so I can just put it in a Nalgene bottle

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Trapick posted:

There's a post on our intranet about employee appreciation day. Really makes me feel needed. Could have offered an additional day off or something, but this is great.

I'm convinced that any executive who suggests getting rid of coffee or other similar bullshit cost cutting should immediately be fired, that'd save more and be much better for morale.

For sure. Or make do with one less contractor and use the $100k for quality of life improvements.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The President of our company has a bad habit of getting taken in by young Brazilian men at which point he spends money getting them into the country legally and gives them jobs they aren't remotely qualified for. One of them even tries to tell me what to do sometimes and I tell him go gently caress a brick

cursed af image

titty_baby_ posted:

I said I would work random events if they gave us proper notice ahead of time (they never do, its always week of) and boss said they're working to have a calendar for planning these things. Hes said this for months and still never tells us anything until a week or two before, putting all the planning responsibilities on the coordinator, who then tries to delegate but fails because I dodge (and events are usually funded by another source that im not allowed to allocate from) and other employees ignore.

Dodging and ignoring are the two cornerstones of a successful career.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Also the only loving appreciation I'm interested in is more money. That's how you appreciate me

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I did a college internship at a huge company that had just eliminated free coffee. The free coffee cost a whopping $100 per employee, per year. The department was all computer programmers making six figures. They all boycotted the new coin-op Kureig and just took a 20 minute trip to starbucks whenever they wanted coffee.

I can't say the internship didn't teach me anything about executive decision making.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Play posted:

Dodging and ignoring are the two cornerstones of a successful career.

Is there a TED Talk out there on the nuances of dodging vs. ignoring?

Play posted:

Also the only loving appreciation I'm interested in is more money. That's how you appreciate me

:hmmyes:

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I work in vending repair, so the coffee is free, but sometimes unavailable because they’re using the machine to test a part. For some reason, our machine only does 8oz cups while the one in the display area does 12oz. It’s not like you can’t push the button a second time, but I always kind of felt it was a bit of a snub, because the display room is right next to the front office. So even though the coffee is free, the office workers get more per button push.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Play posted:

'We are engaged in a mercantile arrangement. My time for your money. Anything beyond this simple agreement is nothing less than a forced unilateral negotiation.'

To those of you dealing with timezone poo poo; have you tried waiting until your working hours and replying back while they're asleep? And then several 'Did you get this email? I need a response' followups over the next few hours?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Play posted:

My company heard that loud and clear and despite profits being down 63% year over year decided to reinstitute both raises and bonuses. Our sister company that is losing money did the same to avoid having anyone with talent from going elsewhere.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

'We are engaged in a mercantile arrangement. My time for your money. Anything beyond this simple agreement is nothing less than a forced unilateral negotiation.'

To those of you dealing with timezone poo poo; have you tried waiting until your working hours and replying back while they're asleep? And then several 'Did you get this email? I need a response' followups over the next few hours?

I worked with a person who was regularly up working until 2-3 am their time and then back online at 7 so this was not really possible. They were the most dedicated rear end in a top hat I would not ever wish to work under.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
My employer offers various "benefits" like special deals on car insurance.

I requested a quote and it was more than what I pay Geico.

If HR just directly gave me the money they spent on their Donald Trump tier dealmaking I'd be pleased.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm trying to find a benefits package for our handful of employees. Usually it's a employee pays half employer pays half type deal. Most of them are kinda poo poo for what you pay.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
We have two separate contractors working on two different sides of a large project. On one side they get poo poo done and I barely ever deal with them, good stuff.

On the other side if they run into even the slightest problem they leave the job site and send the order back to us to figure out. If the customer asks what the issue is they practically cover their ears and run away. But if they do say anything its completely wrong and freaks people out. When things get resolved and you send the job back if you don't get everything just perfectly right they throw it back again and say they can't do it. If they move on to another general area guess what? They can't do it its too far away now :(. Really makes me wonder who hired who. If I'm still here and there's another similar project that starts up I'm creating an llc and bidding on it because I know the rock bottom standard that is apparently acceptable.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Outrail posted:

No. I was a huge loving dipshit and logged on at all kinds of random hours to help the overseas crew with their bullshit.

To be fair, I'm a giant idiot that has had a very . . . nontypical . . . career and I'm pretty sure that 1). I was never built to be on a 24h schedule anyway and 2). even if I was, the wild bullshit mishmash of shifts I have had beat that out of me. So I was more than happy to log in at completely batshit hours when I was awake anyway and help Overseas Crew with their problems.

Overseas Crew was ELATED that someone was willing to work with them on their schedule and sent all kinds of messages to my manager letting them know what a badass I was.

On my end, it gave me a good excuse to sleep in and roll into the office late during Hell Season(s).

I definitely NEVER, EVER, provided world-class customer service to Overseas Crew while half-sauced. Nope. Never. Not even once.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

Explain your Robosexual av and the history behind it. Ensure she knows exactly why you wanted us to pity gently caress a morose and spiteful robot.

:roboluv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Despite having an absolutely record breaking Q4, and dealing with massive global supply chain disruptions in the middle of a global pandemic, we will not be getting raises this year

Our private equity overlords have, in their infinite generosity, funded a "one time special" bonus pool. Which I'm guessing will be about a quarter of what we we had last year

This was announced in a company wide email at 3pm on a Friday. We have an all-hands meeting Monday. I feel bad for my team leader because holy poo poo is he gonna get an earful.

Keep pretending to pay me and care about my health and safety. I'll keep pretending to give a gently caress about my job.