Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
maybe we'll get lucky and she'll disappear up her own rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That's the kind of tone-deaf rhetoric that turns a spokesperson into a Deputy Chief of Staff! :shepface:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Dems are so fuckin great

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Eason the Fifth posted:

Dems are so fuckin great

Best comment I've seen lately is that moderate Democrats solely exist to take chunks out of bills to make them either a little worse or a lot worse.

Whatever chunk they got of this bill is apparently about to be announced:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1368001460412293131?s=19

Edit: ok it's not terrible, the 150k thing is the new bit

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1368003204424884231?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 6, 2021

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

So we’ve got vaccine info on this page for NC, FL, and WA. Anyone else got links, etc for other states? I was thinking about consolidating all that info into a single thread so it’s not lost on some random page nobody is going to dig for.

In Colorado Safeway and King Soopers(any of the Kroger stores) both have easy to make appointments. I've also heard about people calling places and giving their info in case there are any unused shots at the end of the day that are going to get thrown out and those people getting shots in this fashion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm beginning to think we're seeing the true cost of the 2020 election. Bloomberg made it clear the Democrats were willing to mortgage or outright sell their souls, and the Dark Money came a'knockin'.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And of course trading the tax change for lower benefits means the higher someone's income, the more they get out of it. Democrats!

e: A family would have to earn more than than $325k annually (or $163k for an individual) to come out ahead by cutting the benefit by 25% but making it non-taxable.

A follow-up here and an example of how stupid the system is - there's no automatic withholding on unemployment payments!

So you're out of a job, you get the money, and you're expected to hold back the federal taxes, *yourself*, because the state can't do the holdback for you. That's how people are getting hosed by the surprise taxes - the taxes might not be that much, but people never set aside the chunk for taxes because why the gently caress would you.

poo poo's dumb and bad.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm beginning to think we're seeing the true cost of the 2020 election. Bloomberg made it clear the Democrats were willing to mortgage or outright sell their souls, and the Dark Money came a'knockin'.

Check out how hilariously skeezy it is on the republican side: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/klacik-gop-campaign-donations/2021/03/02/76300fde-7077-11eb-85fa-e0ccb3660358_story.html

One candidate raised $8.3m and only received $4.6m of it. Another raised $12m and only actually received $5m of it. The consultant cut is hilariously massive.

The Manchin stuff tonight is about dumber stuff than dark money - it's the moocher bullshit. Apparently the Welfare Mom poo poo is still alive and well in West Virginia and Manchin is one of its believers, the usual nonsense about "disincentivising work".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
its incredible how worthless and hateful congress is

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

facialimpediment posted:

A follow-up here and an example of how stupid the system is - there's no automatic withholding on unemployment payments!

So you're out of a job, you get the money, and you're expected to hold back the federal taxes, *yourself*, because the state can't do the holdback for you. That's how people are getting hosed by the surprise taxes - the taxes might not be that much, but people never set aside the chunk for taxes because why the gently caress would you.

poo poo's dumb and bad.

California has a box you check if you want federal taxes withheld. Hopefully the other states do too.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
WA does to.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

lightpole posted:

California has a box you check if you want federal taxes withheld. Hopefully the other states do too.

Taxing unemployment benefits really is the right thing to do. If the choice is between providing unemployment benefits post-tax or using the same amount of money to add to the pre-tax benefits, the latter option means more money going to lower income families.

e: And vice versa, if money is taken out of unemployment benefits to make them tax exempt, that just means a larger portion of that money going to higher income families.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 6, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Partial correction, it's based on this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/03/05/taxes-health-insurance-subsidy-overpayment/

So it's less about the unemployment check withholding, but more getting "too much" from unemployment which nails you with a health insurance subsidy overpayment bill. Like listen to this bullshit:

quote:

According to the federal government, Ryan earned too much money on unemployment. It was more money than she would have made working as a preschool teacher, and it bumped her into a different income bracket that reduced her Affordable Care Act insurance subsidy. She’s desperate to keep health insurance in the middle of the pandemic and is trying to figure out how to pay the hefty bill.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
UBlock is amazing. If you leave the default settings it just works but you can also get incredibly granular control if you want to. I opened a browser without it installed and it was mind blowing.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

facialimpediment posted:

Check out how hilariously skeezy it is on the republican side: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/klacik-gop-campaign-donations/2021/03/02/76300fde-7077-11eb-85fa-e0ccb3660358_story.html

One candidate raised $8.3m and only received $4.6m of it. Another raised $12m and only actually received $5m of it. The consultant cut is hilariously massive.

The Manchin stuff tonight is about dumber stuff than dark money - it's the moocher bullshit. Apparently the Welfare Mom poo poo is still alive and well in West Virginia and Manchin is one of its believers, the usual nonsense about "disincentivising work".

While I'm 100% in favor of seeing Republican candidates being fleeced to hell and back, this really points to how we should be doing whatever possible to separate money from politics to the extent possible. Be it shorter campaign seasons, term limits, campaign finance reform, whatever- being a legislator itself should not be a career field. Of course, the political industry and its army of consultants, PR flacks, pollsters and strategists benefit Democrats and Republicans alike, so there's zero appetite whatsoever to actually do anything meaningful.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

orange juche posted:

hey since we've started up drone strikes again (as if we've ever stopped since 2001) is it time to update the smdftb shirt?

In for one (now with more SDBs!)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Taxing unemployment benefits really is the right thing to do. If the choice is between providing unemployment benefits post-tax or using the same amount of money to add to the pre-tax benefits, the latter option means more money going to lower income families.

e: And vice versa, if money is taken out of unemployment benefits to make them tax exempt, that just means a larger portion of that money going to higher income families.

I know nothing about UI taxes and their consequences if you know of any good sources.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

lightpole posted:

I know nothing about UI taxes and their consequences if you know of any good sources.

UI taxes are a separate topic and are more like payroll taxes which are their own can of worms.

For income taxes on unemployment benefits I don't think you're really going to find any non-partisan sources. But consider the following scenarios:
Family A is a doctor making $400k and a recently unemployed partner.
Family B is a teacher making $40k and a recently unemployed partner.

If unemployment benefits are $400/week and taxable,
Family A gets $272 a week assuming a 32% marginal tax rate.
Family B gets $353 a week assuming a 12% marginal tax rate.

If unemployment benefits are $300/week but not taxable,
Family A and Family B get $300 a week either way.

Part of the point of income tax bands is to help distribute income more equitably. Unemployment benefits are treated as income, because, well, they are. If the argument over unemployment benefits is how to split up a limited pool of money as is happening in the senate now, and the options on the table are putting more of that money into taxable benefits or cutting benefits but exempting them from taxes, the higher taxable benefit option helps lower income families in a lower tax bracket more than the alternative.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 6, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/1367470576256897031?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Democrats. Working across the aisle.

Ah yes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If it's any consolation, all the fuckers now need to suffer an all-nighter, possibly until it's done. The vote-a-rama has officially started, McConnell motioned to adjourn until 10AM, and it failed 50-49 (Alaska Senator had to head home for a family emergency).

So this kicked off when Johnson forced a reading, which cost everyone 11 hours and he or a Republican had to be present the whole time. Then Democrats shoved through a debate cut, shaving 17 hours off the mandatory time. Then, Manchin's dumb stunt delayed things another 13 hours. Now, this:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1368065219491151872

There are analysts at the CBO, at 12:07 in the morning, working up a score for an amendment that didn't exist until about two hours ago, which they can't vote on yet until the score posts, which will supercede an amendment that's about to pass, in an effort to stop the unlimited amendments in a vote-a-rama.

Democracy!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

for how much longer

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

for how much longer

Until this guy's in charge:

https://twitter.com/GOPLeader/status/1368011754425483265

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

wait what happened to dr seuss

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They stopped printing the books with overt racism.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but he died.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nothing you need to care about.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The estate that holds his copyrights decided to pull out of rotation 1 or 2 items of his that were very racist. The rest is still fully available.

Now republican culture warriors are lying and saying that mainstay publications have been canceled by wokeism and Democrats etc.

Fox and co keep showing cat in the hat saying its cancelled instead of posting up the racist stuff.

Basically dumbass reactionaries are still dumbasses.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nothing you need to care about.

basically

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
The estate decided to stop selling some low volume kind of racist books and republicans republican-d

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i don't even remember seuss having racist books, so i guess nothing changes for me

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i don't even remember seuss having racist books, so i guess nothing changes for me

he had some uhhhh nasty cartoons back in the day

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's basically stuff like this:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's basically stuff like this:

As a Chinaman who does eat with sticks this is really stupid but I guess people got nothing better to do than to be offended on behalf of me and not just recognize that Dr. Seuss was very anti-racist and took a historically notably strong stance against anti-semitism but was also a product of his time

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Thats probably the least bad example. Some of his propaganda from the war was a bit worse.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
He also drew awful depictions of black ape-like people cooking a white guy in a cauldron.

All that happened was the estate decided to turn off any way for them to profit from the racist imagery.

This resulted in disingenuous republicans claiming childhood was cancelled.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

the thing is it's his estate that is choosing to do this, not publishers or anyone else reacting. His estate said "nah, we don't need to publish these any more" and its not like they were best sellers anyway

"If I Ran the Zoo" is chock full of stuff like this

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah the wartime pieces for the japanese were considerably worse than the chopstick one but it's not like they were alone in that regard. I can't imagine many people were clamoring to buy these things other than completists and serious collectors so it was probably a strictly business decision.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Eej posted:

As a Chinaman who does eat with sticks this is really stupid but I guess people got nothing better to do than to be offended on behalf of me and not just recognize that Dr. Seuss was very anti-racist and took a historically notably strong stance against anti-semitism but was also a product of his time

His early career was definitely pretty racist:

Of course he was better than a lot of others, and expressed regret for his earlier works later in life (Especially the wartime anti-Japanese cartoons). But he wasn't perfect, and it's notable that it was his family's foundation that took the decision to stop publishing books that contained hilariously outdated racial caricatures like these:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

christ why is everything so loving stupid all the time