Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Stairmaster posted:

anyone else feel like they're slowly going insane

constantly since I was like 16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

Yes.

I've spent so much time and money not going crazy, I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

It is.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Perhaps it is unusual for so many words to be written, political theory instead of a memorial narrative, for a message honoring a martyr of the revolution. I kept comrade Michael Forest Reinoehl firmly in my mind with every word I wrote down in this text. This text is not an act of revenge. I still haven’t paid a penny of my debt. I have only determined it. Our revenge will go all the way.

Honor and revenge for the antifascist martyr Michael Forest Reinoehl

Honor and revenge for antifascist martyr Anthony Huber

Honor and revenge for all the martyrs of the Black Revolt

Honor and revenge for antifascist martyr Willem Van Sporsen

“I’m not standing by. I really shouldn’t have to say any more than this. I set aside my broken heart and I heal the only way I know how—by being useful.”

REVENGE for centuries of slavery, for all the generations that didn’t make it to liberation. REVENGE so that the life that is coming can breath

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Aug 21, 2021

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Stairmaster posted:

it feels good when you finally get there at least

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Stairmaster posted:

Well, I wouldn't say slowly.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Once I stopped drinking/working myself to death, my mental health hasn't been doing too poorly. Oddly I quit drinking as much a few months before pushing myself pointlessly hard for a paycheck, but that's pandemic times for ya! The bar lost a lot of appeal when I went out to one and a dude I didn't know was all mask down in my bubble, and after our covid bonuses dried up at work I was given a twenty five loving cent raise, so my hardcore service industry vet work ethic took a mighty hit as well.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I learned that my company is closing yesterday and it hit me really hard and I have no idea where I’ll go next

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

im on the net me boys posted:

I learned that my company is closing yesterday and it hit me really hard and I have no idea where I’ll go next

Start your unemployment app asap. Depending on your state it might take a while to get sorted, but if this new covid relief bill passes you should get some extra $ via unemployment benefits

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Hey chokes (& others that share) thank you for the thread. I've been dealing with depression since 2016 and was diagnosed as bipolar II back in september when my psych tried to up the lexapro and moods went a-swingin'. Since then they killed the lexapro and swapped over to the mood-stabilizers but I feel like they've been making adjustments to meds every like 2 weeks and I don't know if anything's getting better. I was in a mental hospital last month because I was having suicidal ideations and the hospital psych made a lot of changes; switched me off lamictal to depakote, kept the seroquel & buspar, & re-added the lexapro.

Growing up, mental health problems were viewed as a weakness in my family and while I don't talk to my folks at all anymore, I'm too embarrassed / worried to bother my brothers about everything that's going on. So I tell no one because I have no friends & make my wife shoulder too much of the burden to the point that it's affecting her - we both go to therapy but she feels I'm not taking any initiative w/r/t educating myself on my meds or looking into accounts of others who have the same condition, and she's right, but I feel like I'm stuck in this limbo of being functional but unhappy / indifferent about everything because all I can do is the bare minimum to get through the day. I'm incredibly shy due to abysmal self-confidence so I don't know where to even start finding people I'd want to open up to so I guess that's why I'm posting here.

anyway, hope everyone is well, thank you for attending my ted talk

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RoboFrance_29 posted:

Hey chokes (& others that share) thank you for the thread. I've been dealing with depression since 2016 and was diagnosed as bipolar II back in september when my psych tried to up the lexapro and moods went a-swingin'. Since then they killed the lexapro and swapped over to the mood-stabilizers but I feel like they've been making adjustments to meds every like 2 weeks and I don't know if anything's getting better. I was in a mental hospital last month because I was having suicidal ideations and the hospital psych made a lot of changes; switched me off lamictal to depakote, kept the seroquel & buspar, & re-added the lexapro.

Growing up, mental health problems were viewed as a weakness in my family and while I don't talk to my folks at all anymore, I'm too embarrassed / worried to bother my brothers about everything that's going on. So I tell no one because I have no friends & make my wife shoulder too much of the burden to the point that it's affecting her - we both go to therapy but she feels I'm not taking any initiative w/r/t educating myself on my meds or looking into accounts of others who have the same condition, and she's right, but I feel like I'm stuck in this limbo of being functional but unhappy / indifferent about everything because all I can do is the bare minimum to get through the day. I'm incredibly shy due to abysmal self-confidence so I don't know where to even start finding people I'd want to open up to so I guess that's why I'm posting here.

No worries, friendo. Believe me, I've been where you were at. I'm glad you sought the help you needed rather than letting it get out of control (like I did :doh: ). One question: have you checked Meetup and/or NAMI for an in-person meeting group for people with mental health issues? I know I started going to a bipolar support group after I got out of the hospital and it was a goddamn godsend.

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to :justpost: whenever, there's usually multiple people willing to lend an ear (myself included).

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

RoboFrance_29 posted:

thanks for sharing here, sounds like it may not have been easy.

it's cool that you see the dynamics between you and your wife, make sure you let her know that you witness her and see the "burden" (i hate that idea) she's carrying. that will go a long way.

if ur very shy now is a great time to take advantage of zoom groups and zoom sessions because for very anxious people it's a ton easier than going into a room or office.

sorry for all the unsolicited advice

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

How do I get diagnosed with depression what do I do

i just got insurance for the first time in my adult life and was too afraid to use my parents’ for mental health things

e: do I go on the insurance website and book a psychiatrist? is that the most expedient way?

wolfs has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Mar 6, 2021

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

wolfs posted:

How do I get diagnosed with depression what do I do

i just got insurance for the first time in my adult life and was too afraid to use my parents’ for mental health things

e: do I go on the insurance website and book a psychiatrist? is that the most expedient way?

Yeah you can go through your insurance's website to find psychiatrists to call and set up an appointment.
My provider's site sucked poo poo though so I called their help line and they gave me the info of some that were in area, in network, and taking new patients.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

wolfs posted:

depending on what your insurance is, which i'm not going to get into, if you're allowed to refer yourself to mental health care, you can look for the psychs who take your insurance* (as they self-report) on https://www.psychologytoday.com/us

My provider's site also sucked poo poo and I was only able to get in touch with a psychiatrist by a referral from my PCP who is in a larger hospital system. my insurance would let me pick and see my own psych, but i couldn't find any taking new patients.

separately though, i was also able to get a neuropsychological evaluation done which also got me a second diagnosis. that was 8* hours of testing over 4 days (that you can complete earlier if you're quick about it) and waiting a few weeks for the report to be written.

i found my regular talk therapist and the evaluating psych through psychology today.

HarmB has issued a correction as of 10:01 on Mar 6, 2021

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Goddammit, I cannot wait to get out of this house and away from my soon to be ex-wife. We said in the beginning that we'd be amicable and friendly, and I've tried really hard to be. It's not been easy and I've slipped, but it feels like she never made any particular effort to actually stick to that.

I'm at the point where I'm miserable and just counting the days. I hate this part of my life.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
real cool to get rejected on a rental application because my credit score is slightly too low

good thing I live in the land of the free instead of some horrible country that uses social credit

(i'm not even in debt lol)

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

My partner and myself are in the middle of purchasing a house through a USDA loan. The process is so long and stressful with added pressures and stipulations from having a government loan. I'm the one who is in charge of doing most of the work (making calls, signing papers, etc.) and I'm just so loving burnt out. All the closing costs and repairs required by USDA are piling up and we won't have an appraiser out to even determine if the house is worth our offer for another month. We don't have another lease lined up so if this falls through, we are homeless. I had a meltdown at work during a 14 hour shift and I was just informed that if we keep picking up extra shifts, we will fall out of the "low income" bracket, and no longer qualify.

Anyway, I have 2 nosebleeds per day from stress and cry in the walk-in on a daily basis.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Ball Tazeman posted:

Anyway, I have 2 nosebleeds per day from stress and cry in the walk-in on a daily basis.

This happened to a co-worker of mine and his blood pressure was 300/180

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

SchnorkIes posted:

tight

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Life is going pretty well for me really and I am on anti depressants now that seem to take away the sadness/hopelessness but I still feel pretty listless and unmotivated, just not crying and shutting down about it now.

I might see about getting back on ADHD meds in a couple days.

:shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SchnorkIes posted:

hootin and hollerin on his way out of the clinic :stare:

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Zurtilik posted:

Life is going pretty well for me really and I am on anti depressants now that seem to take away the sadness/hopelessness but I still feel pretty listless and unmotivated, just not crying and shutting down about it now.

I might see about getting back on ADHD meds in a couple days.

:shrug:

That seems like a common situation these days. What are you doing for work if you dont mind me asking?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

thehandtruck posted:

That seems like a common situation these days. What are you doing for work if you dont mind me asking?

I do claims for a trucking company. For the most part it is pretty low demand to be honest. I can get by with a couple hours of work a day. Can get a little draining dealing with truckers get hosed all of the time though.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So I got the moderna shot 4 days ago. Since then I have felt really moody, like extreme mood swings getting into psychotic arguements with friends. Is this a known side effect?

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
The best part of having rapid cycling bipolar and almost every personality disorder is how every day my mood is a roll of the dice. Yesterday was great, today is awful.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So I got the moderna shot 4 days ago. Since then I have felt really moody, like extreme mood swings getting into psychotic arguements with friends. Is this a known side effect?

that's strange, maybe ask a pharmacist or someone else who might know the side effects

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

MY WIFE has the same problems. With her, it wasn't so much the physical effects so much as the massive stress release of starting her immunity to COVID triggering swings.

I mean, there's still studies to be done on this poo poo, so you never know. My gut reaction is it's environmental and not the shot itself, but I am not a doctor and just an idiot on the internet :shrug:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

note to self: even if its the only book on your phone and you're incredibly bored at work, having brain problems about difficulty relating to other people is not the correct headspace to read Peter Watts

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

note to self: even if its the only book on your phone and you're incredibly bored at work, having brain problems about difficulty relating to other people is not the correct headspace to read Peter Watts

look at it this way, it may be so that your weird brain qualifies you as one of the only people in the world just right for the job of making first contact with aliens.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
just moved to Seattle after having lived in rural NC almost my whole life. I’ve never felt even close to this overwhelmed and anxious

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

just moved to Seattle after having lived in rural NC almost my whole life. I’ve never felt even close to this overwhelmed and anxious

I had the same experience when I moved to NYC in my early 20s. It will get much easier after a while.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It's funny everyone is moving. I myself am moving from Austin to Providence (Rhode Island) by the end of the year.

Bowie once said of Los Angeles "the place should be wiped off the loving map" and I didn't understand that sentiment until I lived in Austin for several years

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I might be moving to austin soon. What's wrong with Austin?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Austin is great and awful. Think of it like Texas's 'cool' party town. It jumped the shark long ago, yet plenty of fun to be had.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
anyone got a basic guide to meditation they can recommend? I may as well try it because it's gonna be a little bit before my new health insurance kicks in and I can find a new therapist

going from an easy on-call night job to a normal job for grown adults is loving hard

DoubleDonut has issued a correction as of 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I might be moving to austin soon. What's wrong with Austin?

everything

1) hold no illusions Austin is a metropolis, it's not. It's a downtown area surrounded by a sprawl of towns they collectively call "austin" for reasons I'll never understand
2) live in the south, there's a berlin wall of traffic between downtown and north austin and you will never see any activity requiring travel
3) idk maybe you'll like it but this city has tried to kill me four times and nearly succeeded twice

DoubleDonut posted:

anyone got a basic guide to meditation they can recommend? I may as well try it because it's gonna be a little bit before my new health insurance kicks in and I can find a new therapist

going from an easy on-call night job to a normal job for grown adults is loving hard

If you have a phone and $10 a month to spare, Headspace is fantastic.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

DoubleDonut posted:

Palousemindfulness.com has a few guided meditations and is completely free.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Christ, though. I've gone straight from "neither one particularly appeals to me" straight back to "actively wanting to die all of the time" again and it sucks. Partly I think I just need to stop working for the court but I'm not sure what else I could do besides get another degree. Getting an accounting degree might be reasonable but I'm scared to even make decisions anymore these days

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I graduated from a therapy program this week and feel really good compared to a few months ago when I started.

up next for me: getting help for substance abuse

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Consummate Professional posted:

I graduated from a therapy program this week and feel really good compared to a few months ago when I started.

Congrats on graduating your program!

Grace is a big part of recovery; wishing you the best of luck on your journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Consummate Professional posted:

Hell yeah. Good luck with the second part, I hope it goes well.