Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mayveena posted:

No. Why don't you tell the name, thanks.

https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/brotchie/MinerInfo/

This is more of a general question, but the mod manager for DSP includes Valheim and RoR2, is there some commonality in modding between those three games or is it just the guy who made the manager likes those games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Are those unity games?

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

I appreciate the good effort post. I feel where you are coming from, but at the same time, most games are bad at the end game. Like, pretty much all of them.

Civ's endgame is as bad as EU4's endgame is as bad as Final Fantasy 6's endgame. You can usually 'beat' the game way earlier than the developer expects, and you just mash 'next turn' in some format or another to get to the end goal.

The 'good' part of the game, is the part where you are fully engaged and trying to figure out the systems. For me, DSP's "good" part of the game was 60 hours plus, which is probably more time than I put into Civ 6 in total, and I've played every Civ game at release since Civ 3.

I don't think it's fair to criticize this game's bad part ( the endgame ) when almost no game delivers a satisfying end game, and the good part of the game dwarfs similar good parts of other games. Also, it is fair to point out this is an early access game, so it is likely the 'endgame' content is the part that's least developed in the early access model.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Khorne posted:

After a few updates maybe. I might be alone in this, but I always find lategame boring as hell in this kind of game, modded minecraft, factorio, anno, oxygen not included, cities skylines, etc.

My main problem is early on you are solving problems. You have belts to wire, limited space/resources/whatever, you're trying to get x-y-z and it's pretty fun. Then you hit post scarcity and there's no problem to solve. No pressure, incentive. Everything you built runs automatically with no input and produces everything in the game. All that's left is minor number goes up. It's just tedium - placing the same buildings in similar ways and your 36000/min goes to 72000/min but there's no decisions being made or challenges facing the player. DSP hits that wall hard once you get to white science or even slightly before at around fusion+warpers.

For example, today I upped my stone+coal mining by ~12 belts each and added 450/s oil or so with some rare resources. Tomorrow I'll create an oil + xcracking planet to massively up graphene production & get more hydrogen. The day after I'll get deut production up from ~8000/min to something way higher by using a neat design I came up with that really takes advantage of the spherical coordinates and looks way cooler than the design most people use while being equally as efficient. Then I'll have way increased antimatter & rocket & quantum chip production at some point. But, at this point in the game I find it hard to play more than 20-40 minutes per day while early on you're juggling tons of things and it's really fun to put in hours while constantly checking on things that might run out or whatever. There's so many things to do while at endgame it's just "another 30/s belt of this and the infrastructure to feed it".

If they start adding more cosmetic building options & some cool endgame structures (maybe multiblock style or planned like the sphere - satellite/orbital stuff, maybe a real artificial planet/star, mining entire planets, maybe moving planets/stars/systems elsewhere even to create mega systems or colliding them, just more ways to express yourself as a player & more awesome lategame stuff where you go "whoa that's cool") I will definitely vote this goty. That and some of the functionality mods have added.

absolutely love the game, well worth the price, am still chipping away at my first save despite having a nice dyson sphere setup & white science & stuff, can't wait to start over and see if I enjoy the early game as much the second time around. I just really fall off of this genre once I get to late game.

If I had faith in any developer to surprise me with a "solution" to late game it might be this one. They seem to have a really good grip on what makes the genre good. We're in EA and they have a decent amount of endgame things on their roadmap.

I agree with a lot of your points, and I do think it's a bit early in the development of the game to declare it GOTY, but from what I've been able to glean from YouthCat's statements they are working on end game content and introducing an adversary of some kind. Hopefully it won't be similar to the Biters in Factorio, but instead will be a competing intelligence that is also attempting to do the same thing we are. We'll know more once they finish up their roadmap and publish it. I honestly don't think they expected this kind of success so it's unsurprising that they don't have one already.

Some end game structures would be good. The Dyson sphere is what I'd say occupies the mid to late game transition and early late game. Given that a Dyson sphere is a megastructure it seems like they should rebalance it so that we either make a more resource intensive and interactive one (eg, a Dyson sphere you can walk on, place buildings on, and so on) or something that impacts the star systems in a more severe way. An actual Dyson sphere requires the processing of planets themselves, so if they added large structures that slowly chewed up planets and added that material to a more typical sphere it would help. Or maybe not, people seem content to pouring hundreds of hours into the game already.

I will say that this is an absolutely fantastic early access title. Not feature complete (the fact Icarus has health points indicates that, so does the accelerant research option), but drat it's still really coherent and well put together.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

I personally would like an endgame project to look like constructing a giant star base the size of a planet that has the capacity to handle logistics for multiple systems and automatically powers machines placed on it. Basically a giant mechanical planet that I can send raw resources to, process, then send out to other planets.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Eegah! posted:

I personally would like an endgame project to look like constructing a giant star base the size of a planet that has the capacity to handle logistics for multiple systems and automatically powers machines placed on it. Basically a giant mechanical planet that I can send raw resources to, process, then send out to other planets.

I liked the person that suggested end game could be constructing more mechs to send out.

High cost for each mech and warp launcher.

Keep a tally of the mechs you've launched to share.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Grevlek posted:

I don't think it's fair to criticize this game's bad part ( the endgame ) when almost no game delivers a satisfying end game, and the good part of the game dwarfs similar good parts of other games. Also, it is fair to point out this is an early access game, so it is likely the 'endgame' content is the part that's least developed in the early access model.
100% agree with this. I've gifted this game to a few people I know already. It probably is goty for me, because most years I don't even have a goty and this clearly nailed a novel and engaging experience.

Eegah! posted:

It would be good to be able to build an artificial structure/base or manipulate things at a grander scale.

Admiral Ray posted:

I will say that this is an absolutely fantastic early access title. Not feature complete (the fact Icarus has health points indicates that, so does the accelerant research option), but drat it's still really coherent and well put together.
I'm not even convinced I'd want enemies. I agree it's extremely coherent and their early game through early late game is better than most games' entire game.

Grevlek posted:

I appreciate the good effort post. I feel where you are coming from, but at the same time, most games are bad at the end game. Like, pretty much all of them.
Most games have real lackluster endgames. It's true. It's not like I can point to any other game in the genre and say "see, this has a better endgame". I've spent more hours on my save than any of my anno 1800 saves. I'll likely have tied or exceeded my longest ONI saves when I'm done, too.

I hope no one confuses my insomnia-fueled attempt at exploring why I dislike the endgame in these kind of games & (poorly) exploring how maybe it could be solved with a legitimate criticism of the game. It's more like the game is so drat good before you hit the very end game that I hope they find a way to make the endgame equally good until you get bored with it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 5, 2021

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
That mod that shrank save files somehow screwed my save file up so I gotta start over. Oh well. I've got an even better star cluster this time around, and I'm incorporating everything I learned last time around into this attempt. :shepicide:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My main problem with this game is how slowly the drones build belt lines. Just let us place them instantly, it's such a pain in the rear end in the early game

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah its awful, i just started over after not playing for a bit

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

That mod that shrank save files somehow screwed my save file up so I gotta start over. Oh well. I've got an even better star cluster this time around, and I'm incorporating everything I learned last time around into this attempt. :shepicide:

Probably from the save changes in the recent patch. I don't touch mods like that one because of that risk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E-QekRlRDo

Pretty basic stuff but it's neat seeing everything laid out like that. Also, what do you guys call the various grid features?

e: actually there is some new stuff I didn't know in there, like besides the four highlighted meridians there are 16 more that run unbroken from pole to pole :wth:

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 5, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E-QekRlRDo

Pretty basic stuff but it's neat seeing everything laid out like that. Also, what do you guys call the various grid features?

e: actually there is some new stuff I didn't know in there, like besides the four highlighted meridians there are 16 more that run unbroken from pole to pole :wth:

not sure why but this just made me want the feature where you can blow up a planet and extract it's resources that way.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

not sure why but this just made me want the feature where you can blow up a planet and extract it's resources that way.

a planet cracker would be a great endgame thing

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Shipon posted:

a planet cracker would be a great endgame thing

oh holy poo poo, imagine getting to pack up a whole universe and heading into the wormhole for new lands!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just hit the point in my new game where I abandoned my old game. I got here in 1/5th the time. We're cruising now.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
One day, the devs will implement blueprints, and I shall return from my break after getting the "YOUR A WINNER" research done to start anew.

Until then, I will content myself with watching other people play and feel dumb watching them build more efficient setups than I had cobbled together.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like how after unlocking warp, my manual save games have taken on a very timecube feel.

4 CORNER SIMULtaneous green turbine factory

zedprime fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 6, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

zedprime posted:

I like how after unlocking warp, my manual save games have taken on a very timecube feel.

4 CORNER SIMULtaneous green turbine factory

I have forgotten which systems I've put outposts in and as far as I can tell there's no way to see it from the starmap. :negative:

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
It really does need an in-game note taking function: a place to write your to-do list, notes that can pin to planets and star systems, notes that can pin to I dunno placeable signposts on-world, stuff like that. Just some method of organizing your thoughts on all these disparate chunks of your industrial empire. Maybe a mod could do it?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Just open up your P menu and look at what systems are producing what resources. You can even drill down by planet

You might have to set the time scale bigger if all your belts filled up with product and you don't have a destination using it yet

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Roundboy posted:

Just open up your P menu and look at what systems are producing what resources. You can even drill down by planet

You might have to set the time scale bigger if all your belts filled up with product and you don't have a destination using it yet

I want to elaborate on this because I found it out last night and it's very useful.

So in the production menu, when you filter by system or planet, only shows items that have been consumed or produced in those places. I'm pretty sure those items will show up even if it's been hours since they were last used/produced. So if your looking for your one planet/system making quantum chips, you can go through the list until you hit the system that has quantum chips listed (and doesn't have something listed that consumes them, like Dyson Sphere rockets).

It's definitely not as good as a labeling system, and I'm not sure if an outpost that's just storing stuff for consumption elsewhere (like an outpost that holds supplies taken from your mall), but that production statistics screen is much shorter in any system outside of your starting system.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Roundboy posted:

Yeah I just noticed this myself a few minutes after posting, but thanks anyway :v:

I gotta say though, the scaling requirements get very significantly reduced if you luck out with the rare resources available nearby when you start warping around. In my case the system closest to my starting one (and thus the first I explored) has the biggest reserve of spiniform crystals in the entire cluster (about 16m on a single planet) and the second closest system has a planet with 15m fire ice. Organic crystals and optical grating crystals were also available in decent amounts within ~10 light years. Welp, there we go, I don't need oil for anything other than plastics for the foreseeable future and I could just dismantle a bunch of production lines. Unipolar magnets sure don't last long though, I'll need to go back to the brute force way soon.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Guess I'll just get started debottlenecking purple, green, and thinking about what a rocket launch facility will look like.

Todo list:
Everything???

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Started a new game because I like the problem solving vs the actual endgame, and I hit random a few times and just accept the starting system.

And my home system has 183k silicon total. 2nd time this happened. Thanks? Time to rush to warp and get outta dodge before I run out of processors

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
I started a new game and had to stop because of how slow the mech is at the start :froggonk: how did I ever live like this?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Oh god yes. I've learned not to really care what I build until I get logistics towers. Once those are in place, you can place and design properly. Everything before that is hot garbage

My starting world only exists to get me off planet, and to build the items I need to strip mine other solar systems. Once you add every relevant thing to the logistics network, it can be had anywhere

My initial world is jus a big pocket crafting setuo

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I don't understand hard restarting unless you really want to do the beginning tech grind again. Dismantle your interplanetaries, grab some fuel and a few warpers and head off to some distant star with tens of millions of resources to soft reset if that's your thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hello, I would like to see the "blueprint" layouts that you've found to work well

Also, these seem to work pretty well for me, but I'd love to hear suggestions. I just threw together that oil set up to run my chemical lines in fifteen minutes today, I don't know what's the best way to do plasma refining.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The blue things that are half of processors aren’t used for anything else in the game. Four assemblers making those can directly feed three assemblers making processors, getting rid of some belts and/or a tower. Not that it really matters.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Maximum oil refinery layouts are like assembler layouts: refinery dicks running latitudinally until belts are sapped while products go into a tower to fly away somewhere else. They have 3 slots on their short end so you can just stack them for shortest length by the time you're logistic towering everything.

If you need refined oil, you're done with just one refinery dick that blasts out hydrogen and oil

If you want graphite, you can self contain two refinery dicks next to each other, in a ratio of 2 xray crackers to 1 normal refiner. Priority loop hydrogen in a circle around the xray crackers to keep them satisfied.

Or more likely just run a separate refinery dick out from another logistic tower fed with hydrogen and oil since that can help load balance graphite vs plastic anyway.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
It's simpler to run x-cracking. You just dump the oil and hydrogen from a normal refinery into the usual belts and then you have your cracker dump hydrogen into a belt and then scoop hydrogen from the same belt one step farther down. Voila, you always have hydrogen for your cracker and the excess goes off.

Edit: Also, you don't need smart splitters if you're just combining lines. Just dump the one line into the other and it'll feed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you want closed loop refined oil i.e. make purely hydrogen and graphite I want (even though its not technically need) that hydrogen recycle because you don't need to worry about sorter quirks or filling a belt to entitlement to ensure your xray crackers aren't starved while you have room to make hydrogen out of the refiners. Peace of mind I want from less ideal set ups but an ever paranoia about deadheading refined oil. If you just ship refined oil at the other end as a relief valve that works too.

Anyway I'm less likely to build a linked setup like that since running separate refinery and xray cracking trains lets you load balance plastic vs graphite anyway nevermind with the right rare resources you go back to only wanting refined oil.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Keep in mind unless you want to tap every oil hole on the planet, and feed it to dozens of refineries and then more dozens of x ray refi refineries, it's infinitely easier to just tap some coal and make excited graphite

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I feel the peak usefulness of xray cracking is right as you get it. I don't need it for graphite, coal is abundant. Hydrogen is easier to get from gas giants once you are a little more established.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Smiling Demon posted:

I feel the peak usefulness of xray cracking is right as you get it. I don't need it for graphite, coal is abundant. Hydrogen is easier to get from gas giants once you are a little more established.

Ya, I set up X-ray cracking to make hydrogen for red cubes, but holy poo poo since then I’ve had zero use for it. I’m now awash in hydrogen from other sources.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrYenko posted:

Ya, I set up X-ray cracking to make hydrogen for red cubes, but holy poo poo since then I’ve had zero use for it. I’m now awash in hydrogen from other sources.

Once you're making enough graphite for mass solar sail production, just the by-product hydrogen should be more than you'll ever need (or want) at that stage of the game. I had to turn off remote hydrogen demand on my starting planet because even I couldn't burn it off fast enough.

I know I could just make, like, a hundred thermal plants, but I wish there were a disposal building that would mass-destroy whatever you feed into it. "Artificial Singularity"?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Smiling Demon posted:

I feel the peak usefulness of xray cracking is right as you get it.
Well, yeah. Cracking makes hydrogen and graphite. It’s pre-packaged red cubes all in one neat spot.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

WhiteHowler posted:

I know I could just make, like, a hundred thermal plants, but I wish there were a disposal building that would mass-destroy whatever you feed into it. "Artificial Singularity"?
you probably already know this but in case anyone else doesn’t: if you put hydrogen into liquid storage you can get rid of it by deleting the building (it doesn’t work like regular storage where you have to have room for the contents into your inventory).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

scribe jones posted:

you probably already know this but in case anyone else doesn’t: if you put hydrogen into liquid storage you can get rid of it by deleting the building (it doesn’t work like regular storage where you have to have room for the contents into your inventory).

I know, and I already do this, but that's not automated enough for me.