Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

eternaldough posted:

I hop this is the best place to ask, but I've been wanting to reexperience the 3ds games but perhaps with a different spin like others in this thread have. So I'm hoping to be pointed in the direction of what might be considered the most reliable of 3ds emulators, and the generally mot well-regarded source of rom hacks for anyone who is familiar with those?

With the caveat that I only play 3DS games on an actual 3DS and thus my opinion may be garbage: I think Citra is the only 3DS emulator that anyone actually uses. Compatibility with the Pokémon games looks to be mostly good, but according to Citra's compatibility list, you will likely need to employ some workarounds or suffer some glitches.

If you have a 3DS and the game carts or digital versions, you can enjoy perfect compatibility and still play some highly-regarded ROM hacks with Luma custom firmware (CFW). That's outside the scope of this thread, but the very short of it is that getting CFW running on the 3DS is very quick and easy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I stopped at diamond/pearl and restarted with sword. I borrowed a friend's 3DS and was looking at picking up a used copy of Sun for eleven bucks plus shipping. Is ultra sun/moon worth going with instead? All the ultra copies are essentially still full price and I don't even own this system.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sun/Moon are better than USUM imo

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

cheetah7071 posted:

Sun/Moon are better than USUM imo

They did some weird things with the plot in USUM.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

There is also a postgame but I don't know if I want to go into that.

The Hypelion Gym is well-worth a revisit, at any rate

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Mesadoram posted:

They did some weird things with the plot in USUM.

While this is true, I much preferred what they did with Lusamine in the OG vs USUM

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

USUM has more "stuff" but yeah I agree that the originals are better.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

bartlebee posted:

I stopped at diamond/pearl and restarted with sword. I borrowed a friend's 3DS and was looking at picking up a used copy of Sun for eleven bucks plus shipping. Is ultra sun/moon worth going with instead? All the ultra copies are essentially still full price and I don't even own this system.

USUM has some neat new features and gameplay additions over SM. There are also changes to the story that are generally considered a step down to what SM did.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

While this is true, I much preferred what they did with Lusamine in the OG vs USUM

:same:

It was more, satisfying in a way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what I remember USUM is a little better gameplay wise while the OG SM was a little better story wise

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

USUM is the standard third version fare where they make a variety of improvements to gameplay and QOL that there's no reason to go back to the originals unless you really want to. SM's story is a 5/10, USUM's is a 3/10, I wasn't particularly impressed with either.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’d recommend OG Sun and Moon for the story. They cut the best story parts for USUM.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Crosspeice posted:

USUM is the standard third version fare where they make a variety of improvements to gameplay and QOL that there's no reason to go back to the originals unless you really want to. SM's story is a 5/10, USUM's is a 3/10, I wasn't particularly impressed with either.

Strong disagree, SM is the most I've ever enjoyed a pokemon story

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

:yeah:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Lillie is the best companion character in any of the games so losing part of her story in the ultra versions is a shame but I don’t think the sumo stories are especially distinct from any of the other stories besides that

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If I had to rank the story telling in Pokemon I'd have pokemon Black and White at #1, Sun and Moon at #2, and Gold and Silver at #3

ORAS wiggled it's way higher up the ranks by adding a lot more characterization and interesting story elements in but plot wise those three are the best I think.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The original SM was one of my favorites as well.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
I'd have liked it if they had given Ultra Space, Alt-Dimensions, Ultra Recons Quad and the Devourer of Light its own game/space to explore those ideas and not in addition to the bulk of OG S/M's story.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Abundant Atrophy posted:

I'd have liked it if they had given Ultra Space, Alt-Dimensions, Ultra Recons Quad and the Devourer of Light its own game/space to explore those ideas and not in addition to the bulk of OG S/M's story.

Would've made a good Delta Episode story for SM

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I like the story well enough, there's a fair bit to enjoy about it. But the presentation is awful, stiff cutscenes and characters, and the start of SM is unbearably slow. When it comes to the more animated cutscenes that aren't characters bobbing around talking to each other, like Lillie's escape from the Aether Foundation or the summoning of Lunala/Solgaleo, I enjoy it quite a lot, but I've seen Lillie's bag fumbling animation and Hau's side to side jumping enough to last a lifetime.

The main thing is which game will I replay in the future and the answer is easily USUM, there's just no comparison.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SM has more Looker so it is the superior experience.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zuzie posted:

I think you need to give more watts until the option to be able to style your hair becomes available in the dojo. The game justifies this in the laziest way possible by introducing a stylist who is super shy so they don't have a model to show.

I like the part where I could spent watts to unlock a PC for 10k watts....only for it to tell you that you need another 10k if you actually want to use it because "lol they're trying scam us out of our watts."

I mean, I have watts to spare at this point, but I don't really get this... 20k watts so I can what? check loto without leaving isle of armor? The stylist seems like the same thing, why would I pay watts when I can just fly back to the mainland? I assume this eventually unlocks something worthwhile?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Oxyclean posted:

I like the part where I could spent watts to unlock a PC for 10k watts....only for it to tell you that you need another 10k if you actually want to use it because "lol they're trying scam us out of our watts."

I mean, I have watts to spare at this point, but I don't really get this... 20k watts so I can what? check loto without leaving isle of armor? The stylist seems like the same thing, why would I pay watts when I can just fly back to the mainland? I assume this eventually unlocks something worthwhile?

It is just a sink you can pour Watts into if you have more than you know what to do with. The final thing it unlocks is a cutscene and Honey's rare league card

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This right here is the objectively correct take.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Let's introduce a whole bunch of Ultra Beast worlds and then remove the plotline that would've actually made use of them."

Genius 10/10 writing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like the part where they left a hanging plot thread about Lillie traveling to Kanto so the enhanced version would have something to build on, but then they just highlighted and deleted that part of the story instead.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Augus posted:

I like the part where they left a hanging plot thread about Lillie traveling to Kanto so the enhanced version would have something to build on, but then they just highlighted and deleted that part of the story instead.

I was so hoping for a sequel game to Red and Blue that featured Lillie as the rival.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nessa posted:

I was so hoping for a sequel game to Red and Blue that featured Lillie as the rival.

Isn't Gold/Silver technically a Red/Blue sequel?

ShiningHeartGold and SparklingSoulSilver when?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

The major thing that it unlocks is the vitamin vending machines, where you can buy vitamins in bulk for way cheaper than the pokemart, so EV training new mons is a matter of minutes once you have the cash. Which is also really easy if you use the "spend watts on 999 luxury balls, and sell them all for millions of bucks" method.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
SM was the better game, but the Ultra Necrozma fight owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFTemk99fLU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Eox posted:

SM was the better game, but the Ultra Necrozma fight owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFTemk99fLU

I gimmicked that fight SO HARD the first time I faced Ultra Necrozma.

I took a whole set of photos for my friends to narrate out the FEAR strategy, framing it as though Rattata snuck into my lead pokeball.

Edit- re-finishing my living dex update:
I caught all 3 old regis and Regileki in Sword, along along with G-Zapdos and G-Moltres; all in premier balls this weekend.

I blundered unprepared into battle with Articuno before, and ended up catching it in an ultra ball. Thankfully I can still get it in a premier in Shield.

In Shield, I'm up to Regidraco and burned through my 20 Premier Ball allotment before soft resetting last night. My Switch was at 5% and I was dozing off so I gave it a rest for the night.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 8, 2021

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
My main issue with the ultra games is that the game loses all flow. As soon as you enter a new area you have to be prepared for an exposition dump and stiff cutscenes. I am itching for pokemon after skipping Sword / Shield so I'll probably go back to complete it, but it was a slog. I even had to make a gimmick team to be more interesting (only bear pokemon ).

I can get over the physical design of the new platinum remake if they make it a better play experience. Forced tutorials and cutscenes does not a better experience make.

Guess that's giving me hope for the arceus game. Seems to be everything we wanted in sword and shield. Just hope there's no trainers with humanoid pokemon harems seeing as how these were the first games that mentioned pokemon human breeding.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All the tits the took away from Lola Rabbit will be put into the new Lopunny model

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Amity Square has an uncomfortable history

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Playing through Renegade Platinum romhack and i really appreciate the easy grinding trainer at the daycare, makes it a lot more viable to keep a full party up to speed and also include new mons to the team fast.

Which other good DS and GBA hacks have features that make grinding easy?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Falukorv posted:

Playing through Renegade Platinum romhack and i really appreciate the easy grinding trainer at the daycare, makes it a lot more viable to keep a full party up to speed and also include new mons to the team fast.

Which other good DS and GBA hacks have features that make grinding easy?

You might be interested in Drayano's other romhacks; in addition to Renegade Platinum, he's published hacks for Fire Red, HGSS, BWB2W2, and ORAS (3DS); if you do wind up branching out to 3DS, Dio Vento has published similar romhacks for ORAS, SuMo, and USUM.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Isn't Gold/Silver technically a Red/Blue sequel?

ShiningHeartGold and SparklingSoulSilver when?

No. I mean a game that takes place entirely in Kanto. Gold and Silver are Johto games and Lillie said she was going to Kanto.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was pretty annoyed with the marketing for UltraSUMO stressed the "new adventure" angle so hard that I thought it was going to be a B/W2 scenario instead of just..SUMO with an expansion pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I think there was an interview somewhere that they had big plans for USUM but they couldn't make too many new assets for the game so they had to work with what was in the original plus some new stuff.