Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I was LEGO obsessed in the 90s and early 00s, so I have a ton of great sets plus my brothers’ sets from the 80s. I re-assembled a bunch and then took Em apart, bagged them, and now have years of birthdays and Xmas covered!

Except for my 2 faves! I’m keeping those!

Oh, part of what got me out of LEGOs was that most everything became a licensed property and that sucked! I don’t give a poo poo about some dumb vehicle from Star Wars, give me a random themed space set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
i'm don't know where to start with this one but i'm pretty sure removing the heads of marketing execs is a safe bet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9uUe4PjU8

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

I was LEGO obsessed in the 90s and early 00s, so I have a ton of great sets plus my brothers’ sets from the 80s. I re-assembled a bunch and then took Em apart, bagged them, and now have years of birthdays and Xmas covered!

Wow thanks for the grimy 40 year old used toys in a ziplock bag uncle Boywhiz!

Nah for real kids aren't gonna care and it's better that they get to play with em' instead of just sitting on a shelf somewhere forever :shobon:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

> capitalism.png - This all could've been avoided if you'd just not had kids.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Except for my 2 faves! I’m keeping those!

Oh, part of what got me out of LEGOs was that most everything became a licensed property and that sucked! I don’t give a poo poo about some dumb vehicle from Star Wars, give me a random themed space set!

Licensed sets are why we still have Lego - they were going under fast a while back. So they had to start marketing to adult nerds instead of children because nerds have money and kids don't.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Licensed sets are why we still have Lego - they were going under fast a while back. So they had to start marketing to adult nerds instead of children because nerds have money and kids don't.

there is a Friends Lego set

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

yeah its one of my 13 year olds' favorites

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

According to The Toys That Made Us what saved Lego was a new, smart ceo who told them to stop making so many weird one off pieces and outsourced a bunch of manufacturing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

boar guy posted:

yeah its one of my 13 year olds' favorites

too expensive; but if you can afford it it's probably better than a lot of the equally overpriced star wars stuff

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

too expensive; but if you can afford it it's probably better than a lot of the equally overpriced star wars stuff

all lego is expensive

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

he did say adult nerds lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

Wow thanks for the grimy 40 year old used toys in a ziplock bag uncle Boywhiz!

Nah for real kids aren't gonna care and it's better that they get to play with em' instead of just sitting on a shelf somewhere forever :shobon:

When I moved out of state almost 10 years ago, a friend of a friend came to get some of my furniture. She had a couple of kids with her in the 6-10 year old range, and I had a 60 gallon tub of Legos that had been in my closet for years at that point, that I let them have. I don't think I had ever seen kids that happy.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

When I moved out of state almost 10 years ago, a friend of a friend came to get some of my furniture. She had a couple of kids with her in the 6-10 year old range, and I had a 60 gallon tub of Legos that had been in my closet for years at that point, that I let them have. I don't think I had ever seen kids that happy.

Wow, I have almost the exact same story. My mother was moving out of her house and gave me the giant chest of Lego. One of those big Tupperware things you buy from Target to put in your garage filled to the brim. My mother was a queen of garage sale Lego buying all through my childhood. Just a ton of Lego. I turned around and gave it to a family with four boys in the 4-8 range. They were totally ecstatic. My brothers and I had so much fun with those things growing up, it was a real treat to pass it on.

Thanks for reminding me of that great memory!

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
this is like, the one reason I want to have kids. my mom has a similar tub of lego she’s saving for grandchildren, and a gigantic tub of irl Minecraft seems like it would be exciting for my hypothetical kids.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Buck Turgidson posted:

i'm don't know where to start with this one but i'm pretty sure removing the heads of marketing execs is a safe bet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9uUe4PjU8

I remember my first Old Spice commercial

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Slotducks posted:

I remember my first Old Spice commercial

I have vague memories of the ads in the late 80s / early 90s with Jack Palance

actually i think those were for skin bracer

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

yeah the economic downturn after 9/11 deprived a lot of American children of their jobs

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

this is like, the one reason I want to have kids. my mom has a similar tub of lego she’s saving for grandchildren, and a gigantic tub of irl Minecraft seems like it would be exciting for my hypothetical kids.

Had a giant tub of hand-me-down Legos as a child as well, pretty good. Would recommend. Kind of a strange reason to have kids, though.

Hodgepodge posted:

You can get the original Lepin version for cheap, if you want.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/LEBassett/status/1369349911620292610?s=20

Yikes.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

spring is here

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

coincidentally, they had just voted to unionize

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

You see the meeting theme is spring cleaning! Everyone remember to thank Cheryl, our company morale diva, for coming up with these fun ways to make meetings less boring!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

You see the meeting theme is spring cleaning! Everyone remember to thank Cheryl, our company morale diva, for coming up with these fun ways to make meetings less boring!

i regret to inform you, cheryl has been laid off

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Nastier Nate posted:

i regret to inform you, cheryl has been laid off

Ironically this turns out to be good for morale.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Everyone who works at this company, take one step forward.”

“Not so fast, Johnson.”

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Courtesy of Stephen Hicks:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mao and Lenin: noted revolutionary failures

Probably Ho and Castro too

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

All communists before the last 20 years: "Wealth is good, actually".

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

This terrorism thing isn't working out. Maybe we should try postmodernist academia instead?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Tomatoe, tomato

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Funny how the standard for communism in discussions is always 'did it always work both immediately and forever in achieving all its goals perfectly?' I mean, I guess the same is true of capitalism, when you think about it, but when the only goal is 'are the rich still rich?' it's a pretty low bar to clear

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Funny how the standard for communism in discussions is always 'did it always work both immediately and forever in achieving all its goals perfectly?' I mean, I guess the same is true of capitalism, when you think about it, but when the only goal is 'are the rich still rich?' it's a pretty low bar to clear

There’s a time stretch where capitalism can kinda work, like think after WW2 hit the big reset button and we had some wealth building in the middle class, but eventually the rich gain their footing and ramp up the process of gaming the system and it just gradually goes downhill from there. I’d say that tipping point was probably like 40 years ago

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The news media is going to start campaigning hard for Trump to make a comeback.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Antonymous posted:

lepin is actually a way better name too cause pin means to put things together, like assemble a puzzle but also like to share the fare for a cab by putting together our money

le means happiness/fun. lepin means 'fun to assemble'

edit:

idk if anyone cares but the chinese name for Coca Cola is pronounced basically exactly the same except two syllables flipped around 'kekou kele' and it means more or less "Tasty Happiness" and it always blows my mind how good that is

pepsi is "Baishi" which means like "One Hundred Matterings" or some poo poo adn sounds nothing like pepsi

now tell us about the newest basketball player nickname puns please

Greg12 has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Mar 10, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Courtesy of Stephen Hicks:

I can't wait for Cultural Marxism® to finish fully weaponizing words so I can be like FUS-RO-DAH and bowl over all the capitalists with my powerful voice

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

There’s a time stretch where capitalism can kinda work, like think after WW2 hit the big reset button and we had some wealth building in the middle class, but eventually the rich gain their footing and ramp up the process of gaming the system and it just gradually goes downhill from there. I’d say that tipping point was probably like 40 years ago

It "worked" cause they were so terrified of communism they were willing to cut workers in their home countries some slack (while still ruthlessly exploiting workers in poor countries). The minute that was over we started going back to the natural order of things.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Just imagine how loving terrified of communism these absolute monsters must've been though, given everything they allowed. Like lol, most western countries people got like free healthcare and poo poo, that's how terrified they were.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol

https://twitter.com/QuintusHaterius/status/1369446404096155654

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Just imagine how loving terrified of communism these absolute monsters must've been though, given everything they allowed. Like lol, most western countries people got like free healthcare and poo poo, that's how terrified they were.

The City and Church Bougies didn't get cabinet seats for years even though they won elections. Then the Soviet Union fell and immediately they started to dismantle the welfare state with the Incest and Wolf-hate Bougies (who'd literally invented Finlandization). It's been awesome to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Literally the 'brick in a ps5 box' ebay scam. Like surely if you were buying 36 mil worth of something you'd at least have a look at it before you bought it rather than just looking at the photos