Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Scandalous posted:

bold daring opinion: caster lords suck, would rather spend on red and blue line skills and make a hero my spelling bae

will fight in playground over this

that hero takes up space that could be a unit of phoenix guard, a dragon, etc. also usually caster lords get monster mounts like combat lords so youre getting a monster that can cast spells instead of just a monser. so ofc a monster/monster mounted caster hero is still really good, but those aren't as common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sometimes the heroes are good combatants. Almost never, but sometimes!

They're also excellent tarpits for lovely units. Plonk a bright wizard inside two zombie hordes and neither of them are moving for the remainder of the battle. Which is good and bad I guess

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dandywalken posted:

Boyz is good but sadly alot of tt imbalance got ported with no intent to fix

i dont mind it too bad on the battlefield cause all mod versions of every team are about finding the broken units, even vanilla
plus its novel if you remember the tt to go "oh yeah, these assholes"

i am playing with tabletop caps for the first time though and thats too much GW for me, thanks. GW doesnt know what the gently caress theyr on about

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Combat heroes are often very good, certainly once they rank up a bit. Even empire captains or whatever, the mildest sweetest boys there are can still use magic items and bop monsters.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

You might have to

I think there should be an item or something you can equip on a melee lord, like “Sorcerer Attendant” and you select the lore of life for your attendant wizard and get a limited selection of abilities from whatever lore you pick. As it is, a caster lord will get like 800 kills and have buffs and often be a decent combatant.

The trade off is that a caster lord gets to overcast spells and has more winds of magic and poo poo and gets those skills that apply any time you cast magic and a melee lord gets to pick their lore. As it is there’s basically no reason to pick a non-caster lord if you’re trying to play “optimally”, other than fluff or starting position.
Like the Ruby Ring of Ruin but for a whole lore?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There is a supersword you can give your caster lords to make them many times better in melee so it only makes sense to make an artifact that boosts magic stuff for your melee lords as well

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
tabletop has an item that makes any hero or lord into a level 2 (think hero-level) wizard at the cost of stupidity (not really a huge loss). no one used it because its not worth it compared to buying killy stuff for your lords or just bringing a wizard instead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Muscle Wizard posted:

tabletop has an item that makes any hero or lord into a level 2 (think hero-level) wizard at the cost of stupidity (not really a huge loss). no one used it because its not worth it compared to buying killy stuff for your lords or just bringing a wizard instead.

Also in tw, while some caster lords end up on monsters and really effective at combat anyway, not all do or they end up on inferior mounts. Morathi does it right, imo, where she still becomes useful in combat and has some nice tricks but isn't just a complete wrecking house like the combat lords are

Also a mage Lord takes longer to get good since they actually can use/need their yellow skills unlike combat lords who generally can skip them in favor of red/blue first. Maybe the answer is giving some army-wide buffs combat lords' yellow line? Not sure.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I remember in old WFB there was a magic item that would swap the combat stats of the weilder and whoever they were in combat with. Stick it on a mage and all give the lord trying to gank them a nasty surprise

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Grumio posted:

I remember in old WFB there was a magic item that would swap the combat stats of the weilder and whoever they were in combat with. Stick it on a mage and all give the lord trying to gank them a nasty surprise

Van Horstmann's Speculum. You only gotta see it in action once to remember it forever.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Grumio posted:

Ah yes, Captain Ginyu's Scroll of Change Bodies

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Muscle Wizard posted:

that hero takes up space that could be a unit of phoenix guard, a dragon, etc. also usually caster lords get monster mounts like combat lords so youre getting a monster that can cast spells instead of just a monser. so ofc a monster/monster mounted caster hero is still really good, but those aren't as common.
yah but for the points spent in the yellow line, in the red line those other units I have can be significantly more powerful, like adding 8 melee attack and defence to my basic infantry allowing them to punch well above their weight across the whole field while the lord can go tie up valuable enemy units and the caster can still get 500+ kills with overcast magic

Like some LLs such as Manfred with his excellent base stats and dragon, or Gelt with his bonuses to Lore of Metal and artillery, I get it, but generic lords I find are better used as stat buffs for the rest of the army that actually wins the battle

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 8, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Scandalous posted:

yah but for the points spent in the yellow line, in the red line those other units I have can be significantly more powerful, like adding 8 melee attack and defence to my basic infantry allowing them to punch well above their weight across the whole field while the lord can go tie up valuable enemy units and the caster can still get 500+ kills with overcast magic

Like some LLs such as Manfred with his excellent base stats and dragon, or Gelt with his bonuses to Lore of Metal, I get it, but generic lords I find are better used as stat buffs for the rest of the army that actually wins the battle

In most cases a caster Lord can still fill out most of the spell tree, the red line, and at least lightning strike. The issue is that a caster Lord takes longer to get there, but they can get there.

If mage lords got worse versions of the red line, or if combat lords' yellow line had anywhere near the force multiplication thay caster lords' does, it would be a closer comparison.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 8, 2021

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

In most cases a caster Lord can still fill out most of the spell tree, the red line, and at least lightning strike. The issue is that a caster Lord takes longer to get there, but they can get there.
yeah sure they can but when I’m in the early / mid game I’d rather spend those points on red and have a wee little wizard follow me around dropping burning heads while my general makes the swordsmen more powerful by virtue of shouting really loud

given a full 40 levels it can work out but I can turn a generic Empire general into a murder beast on a griffon who powers up his dudes while still having overcast spells in like half the time if I split roles

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'd say early game just as big an issue for some factions is actually accessing caster heroes. For several factions it can be kind of a pain to increase capacity when you're stuck with a handful of lower-tier regions.

And for some factions it's outright just kinda a pain to get any capacity at all. My first ever Empire campaign I played as Gelt and I don't think I got a College so I could recruit Bright Wizards until like turn 45 or some poo poo because there's so few building slots in T3 cities.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In 6th edition at least, picking Mark of Tzeentch for your Chaos Lord flat out made them into a lvl 4 wizard as well (MoT for heroes made them lvl 2s). Also making them basically the only full human-sized combat lords, aside from vampires, to also be full casters. Unsurprisingly, it was NOT a cheap mark - literally just shy of triple the price of the next most expensive mark. Even aside from other spells, please recall that the incredibly easy to cast Orange Fire, with its remains in play "reroll all failed to-hit, wound, and save rolls", was around on their spell list.

Mark of Tzeentch was later changed to have a different effect, and thus your Chaos Lord could no longer be a full blown wizard too, but Chaos Sorcerers have always been greater combat threats than most wizards anyways.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Angry Lobster posted:

What's the 40k game that you're talking about? Battlesector?

Uh, yeah I guess so. I didn't write its name down because there's so many and half of them end up bad. Googling it that looks like what I saw before, although watching new videos of it it seems worse than the initial teaser videos implied, which is also what I was expecting.

But we're definitely getting more and more GW IP games.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Crossposting this with the miniatures thread but this game got me to actually put together a plastic lizard and paint it:

praise sotek

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Lizardmen are fun to paint. Just go hog wild with bright color combos and gold bling.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea I'm bad at taking pictures of something so small but I think it looks not bad. I glued some fake orange foliage stuff to the base to for contrast but it just looks like a blur in the image.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
you can create a simple light box with a cardboard box and sheets of white paper: https://fixthephoto.com/diy-light-box.html

it doesn't need to be fancy, but will seriously upgrade your photo quality

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mantis42 posted:

Crossposting this with the miniatures thread but this game got me to actually put together a plastic lizard and paint it:

praise sotek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68BuTbMCrpQ

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

A good demonstration of why Heavens (and Fire) are the most fun lores in the game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like beasts

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like beasts

i remember that magic mod for wh1 that made flock of doom an army melter. that was fun

vanilla beasts aint it tho, big time skip

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ammanas posted:

i remember that magic mod for wh1 that made flock of doom an army melter. that was fun

them's fightin words

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dark and Shadow lores also feel nerfed lately. Meanwhile warp lightning remains total BS

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Orc magic is the strongest school of magic. Just stomp all your problems away

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ammanas posted:

no, the time skip is in lore of light.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dark and Shadow lores also feel nerfed lately. Meanwhile warp lightning remains total BS

Warp Lighting is the only drat spell that the A.I will use effectively, which for some reason sends them to the other end of the spectrum and makes them merciless with it.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Ammanas posted:

kadon's transformation and amber spear are all you need, a+ lore

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i will NEVER transform kadon

amber spear can be really fun but compared to the killing potential of pit of shades + pendulum or wind blast + chain lightning its hard to justify

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i1tevmxCho

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Foot of Gork is all you need. Especially as Wurrzag.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Wurrzags theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1iv3TwQC-A

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

"Feel the power!" :orks101:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Meanwhile warp lightning remains total BS

Warp lighting, like all things in Skavendom, is perfectly balanced yes-yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Sasgrillo posted:

Warp lighting, like all things in Skavendom, is perfectly balanced yes-yes.

I fought a VH/H battle the other day against a basic T3 skaven garrison with an army of mostly T1 DE troops and I swear the single skaven engineer accounted for a solid 40 percent of my total casualties because of that spell. Luckily they didn't always use it on the units that I would have used it on, probably the only reason I won that battle.