Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

One day I'm gonna go hunt down the jokes in that demo, cause iirc there aren't any once you're past character creation

I ended up talking to loads of NPCs going "was that a joke?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Communist Thoughts posted:

One day I'm gonna go hunt down the jokes in that demo, cause iirc there aren't any once you're past character creation

I ended up talking to loads of NPCs going "was that a joke?"

There's jokes but due to the way the development collapsed, most of the character dialogue ended up being written by people who were not the jokesters who wrote most of the dialogue in the original game, hence they're not as funny, and all dialogue written by one of the devs in particular isn't even attempting to have any humor most of the time, just be serious worldbuilding or weird. Which would be fine and add to the setting if it was surrounded by classic gags and non sequiturs, but instead just fucks with the tone of something that's already not really humorous.

The game also suffers from not having a party with varied personalities to bounce jokes off of, in the original game Barkley's a gruff rear end in a top hat who dismisses almost everything people say to him which automatically creates hilarious contrasts to the overwrought jrpg monologues a lot of characters have, and you have Balthios and Cyberdwarf who are essentially deadly serious characters who rarely break their facade and take the dumbest poo poo in the setting seriously. Balthios is like someone's terrible Final Fantasy OC and his flowery descriptions of b-ball lore are automatically hilarious, again because of the contrast.

In this game XJam's only real character trait is that he's kind of naive and very sincere, which seriously limits the potential humor and makes his interactions with some of the genuinely funny characters or deadly serious ones land kind of flat. Like there's an astronaut NPC who tells you a harrowing story of how he's the only survivor of a grueling disaster and is completely consumed by survivor's guilt, and if you had a character like Barkley there to react with "Say it don't spray it" at the end of that endless wall of text you'd have automatic humor, but instead XJam just goes "That's horrible!".

It doesn't help that a lot of the funniest things that are in the demo are hidden out of the way, like the lawnmower creepy pasta.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 8, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

maybe the real joke...is the cruelty of the passage of time

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Remember joke's...

Chas McGill posted:

I'm only looking forward to two computer games - this, and Dark Souls 2.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I doubt you could even imagine it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Dang whoever did all the serious moody writing should be fired and then hopefully Barkley 2 can be funny on its release in 2023

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Xjam being a boring stoic blank slate protag would've been fine if he'd had a companion who was basically navi but with the personality of idk, balthios maybe

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If the writing wasn't already on the wall for other reasons, the fact that they hosed up something as basic as "straight man main character in a comedy" would be a sign that things were going a bit wrong

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

You could probably make some scratch just releasing Barkley 3 as a quick turn based rpg with jokes in it but I dunno if the skeleton crew of Barkley 2 owns the rights somehow or something

Also I guess nobody wants to work on it anyway lol

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

You could probably make some scratch just releasing Barkley 3 as a quick turn based rpg with jokes in it but I dunno if the skeleton crew of Barkley 2 owns the rights somehow or something

Hey, Yakuza 7 turned out pretty good!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Guys, there's going to be a second Jack Banger game in a month or two, I think it will satisfy all your action rpg needs (minus the rpg).

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/mymixtapez/status/1368800502364794881?s=19

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i do not think an image of his o-face is appropriate in context

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/mymixtapez/status/1369179224108634112

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

well MyMixtapez,

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dang whoever did all the serious moody writing should be fired
I have good news

quote:

and then hopefully Barkley 2 can be funny
and bad news

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It shoulda been like one of them Mario RPGs instead of a serious grimdark gun's game.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

t-.-t posted:

i remember many years ago this game had a booth at PAX and I was able to play the demo, so i ran around in the town cause i wanted to see the writing. anyway the wizard hosting the booth pointed me to a sidequest where i had to fill in a missing word for a couple of NPCs. it was really obvious what the solution was since it was multiple choice with all words being the same except for three out of four of them having typos

anyway i picked the wrong one cause i wanted to see what the dialogue would be and everyone watching the demo just looked at me like i was the stupidest fucker on the planet. that is my Barkley 2 experience, thanks for listening

Thank you for your service.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Oh man Bonghitz, I'm excited for you when you finally get to the part of the thread where the full game gets released.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

t-.-t posted:

i remember many years ago this game had a booth at PAX and I was able to play the demo, so i ran around in the town cause i wanted to see the writing. anyway the wizard hosting the booth pointed me to a sidequest where i had to fill in a missing word for a couple of NPCs. it was really obvious what the solution was since it was multiple choice with all words being the same except for three out of four of them having typos

anyway i picked the wrong one cause i wanted to see what the dialogue would be and everyone watching the demo just looked at me like i was the stupidest fucker on the planet. that is my Barkley 2 experience, thanks for listening

I also went to the booth at a PAX in Seattle. I somehow failed to pick up the starting gun and money when I was playing and mostly just screwed around the town lol

I still have the printed receipt for the character creation somewhere, I might post it later if I can find it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I still maintain BBall Tactics could've sustained its own game, and the hilariously overdesigned gun'sbreeding system probably could too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like the screen-clearing ultimate moves you can get in b-ball tactics, tho they're a little OP.

https://twitter.com/brhoops/status/1352836265540947975

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Tunicate posted:

I like the screen-clearing ultimate moves you can get in b-ball tactics, tho they're a little OP.

https://twitter.com/brhoops/status/1352836265540947975

Fire that man before he learns the C*H*A*O*S DUNK

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
game good

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The promise...has been broken...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXYZOsXw_o

This is not canon. :colbert:

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
https://twitter.com/1AbbyRoad/status/1378369728796823553?s=19

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The real Monstars are corporations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

brapbeat_hardcore posted:

Not for the purposes of reaching out and bort doesn't have private messages on but point taken.

To explain the Sonic Passion thing - there used to be a forum where people (most of whom had selfies for avatars) would talk about Sonic loving them, puking on them and making GBS threads on them as part of their marriage to Sonic The Hedgehog. This made it to the Barkley 1 dev room as an easter egg (the quiz that ended "Sonic only dates white people").

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

That user was permabanned for posting behind the scenes info about Barkley? :raise:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I think someone said it in this thread but that bit at the climax when you make your choice and the music starts playing was pretty sick

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/derek8185338005/status/1378505119688355841

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

maybe the real joke...is the cruelty of the passage of time

You could say time makes joke's of us all

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

We were warned from day one:

Chef Boyardee posted:

will there be joke's ?
[/b]NO.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Going by the demo that wasn't a joke's

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Going by the demo that wasn't a joke's
:thejoke:'s

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's not gone. There's a button you can use to access it.

https://www.spacejam.com/1996/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nice.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Urto posted:

I'm the newest B2 dev. Very new, in fact, having only joined last week for sake of the demo. I volunteered because I have the time to, I'm not really doing anything else, and it seems fun to me. Also, bhroom told me I have a "supple" demeanor, which helped earn my way in. For the demo, I didn't have much time to learn the codebase, but managed to fix a few major crashes. I also corrected probably like a few hundred typos and grammatical errors, especially in the prologue.

Like a lot of other people, I don't know what the future holds for B2. But I will say that if we continue, I'll try my best to make sure people here don't remain in the dark to what we're doing or why. Right now, I think there's a lot of wait-and-see in regards to the demo, gathering feedback, seeing if we really want to keep working, that kind of thing.

It's hard to judge from the demo either the scope or completion of Barkley 2. Things that seem incredibly easy to implement are horrifying monstrosities of possible malfunctions (for instance, just try and map out the possible decisions you can make that impact the dialogue of the Lugner/Slag quest). Things that seem nowhere near completion are really just about done, but we didn't "plug them in" for the demo, so to speak. I do legitimately believe quality can be salvaged from this. For what negative feedback and constructive criticism I've seen, it's nothing we didn't recognize already.

But our goal needs to be making a finished game and then polishing it to be what it deserves. Incremental improvements to the isolated parts without a deep, grand understanding of exactly how they fit into the big picture is (in part) why B2 is in a questionable state to begin with. If the journey continues, I won't be abandoning it. I'm riding this rollercoaster straight into the mouth of hell.

Hey how's it going?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the big question is if space jam 2 is gonna be a worse train wreck than barkley 2