Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
foiled by my own unrealistic expectations, surely this is the producers' fault
-a goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

foiled by my own unrealistic expectations, surely this is the producers' fault
-a goon

:emptyquote:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oasx posted:

Legion is really good, and the closest you get to the feel of Wandavision. Agents of Shield is good solid action, and still my favorite Marvel tv.

Legion is incredible, but it's very weird and people get very 0 or 100 on it.

e: Like if you hate this, you probably won't like it, no spoilers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaWM-hMPUx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-WWoGOf8fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6-9BsZ1qyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usQk3tjQR-w

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 9, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
WandaVision Pitch Meeting

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jedit posted:

a permanent UN observer would be installed with a remit to say "Yeah, that looks existential to me" on future occurrences.

With apologies if you were aware and were making a reference, this was actually done in the comics (although the guy was much less a rubber stamp than Our Heroes might've preferred.)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

LOL that this is basically the thread for the past week.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

apatheticman posted:

LOL that this is basically the thread for the past week.

Fan speculators getting dissed by a boner joke is tight.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Just realized that the guy who's name is a boner joke was pretending to be someone named Peter, which is also dick related. And the actor's last name is also Peters.

It's dick jokes all the way down

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

pik_d posted:

Somewhere, Laura Bailey is giggling uncontrollably.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

"...mmm I'm gonna make you pay for that."

LOL

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 9, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Barreft posted:

e: Like if you hate this, you probably won't like it, no spoilers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaWM-hMPUx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-WWoGOf8fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6-9BsZ1qyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usQk3tjQR-w

I watched all of Legion for the first time about a month into the pandemic. I rewatched it about a month ago. Your post is causing me to consider watching it again now. Such a great show. I wish I watched the show while it was airing.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Spacebump posted:

I watched all of Legion for the first time about a month into the pandemic. I rewatched it about a month ago. Your post is causing me to consider watching it again now. Such a great show. I wish I watched the show while it was airing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SZ3rMMYBLY

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

pik_d posted:

Just realized that the guy who's name is a boner joke was pretending to be someone named Peter, which is also dick related. And the actor's last name is also Peters.

The boner joke is even a reused boner joke that the director got from his time on Growing Pains. He named Ralph after a character from Growing Pains as another old tv reference.

The more distant from watching the finale I am, the more I absolutely love the Fietro fakeout. Masterstroke in every way.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I do hope there's something that comes out of Evan Peters' casting that isn't just a big red herring, because that's the second time in a row they've teased the multiverse. Far From Home had Mysterio lying about that being where he was from (which, why would he even mention it by name if he didn't know there was a real one?), and now we have Fox-Quicksilver's actor just being some dude named Bohner. We know that plot is coming up because of the Dr. Strange title and the next Spider-Man casting news, but I really hope they circle back on both of those teases and give them some meaning. Otherwise it's heavily diminishing returns, especially if they don't deliver on it a third time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I watched Doctor Strange recently, they talk about the multiverse there and it felt more like "universes full of evil things like the dark dimension" then "alternate versions of our reality"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Barreft posted:

As an experience, Legion is absolutely a must-watch for everyone. As a story that makes sense from start to end with proper closure and no cop-outs or internal logic faults, it's absolutely terrible. As long as you go in with this knowledge, you will enjoy yourself. Scene-to-scene it's a wonderful ride (except for certain parts of Season 2,) just don't expect to be gratified with how it all plays out. All that being said, definitely watch it.

As those clips show, some of the best parts of the show are when Noah Hawley drops all pretense and just shows off that he's good at making fun music videos.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 9, 2021

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Legion is okay but a lot of it is pretty bad

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Legion is okay but a lot of it is pretty bad

Yeah. Legion's trying, but very pretentious and slow, and often very crap.

There's some cool stuff throughout, but there's also some truly awful stuff that I wish I hadn't sat through.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

sticklefifer posted:

I do hope there's something that comes out of Evan Peters' casting that isn't just a big red herring, because that's the second time in a row they've teased the multiverse. Far From Home had Mysterio lying about that being where he was from (which, why would he even mention it by name if he didn't know there was a real one?), and now we have Fox-Quicksilver's actor just being some dude named Bohner. We know that plot is coming up because of the Dr. Strange title and the next Spider-Man casting news, but I really hope they circle back on both of those teases and give them some meaning. Otherwise it's heavily diminishing returns, especially if they don't deliver on it a third time.

yeah, evan's casting definitely was deliberate. this means my current xmen crackpot theory is that they hired evans as bohner so they could slip him in as a xman later on. since he's already been cast in the mcu, people will just assume he's playing the same character, right?

i really liked his quicksilver and i hope that he gets the chance to play that character again. :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So since WandaVision ended up being a Scarlet Witch origin, is The Falcon and the Winter Soldier going to end up being an origin for Falcon Cap? I have to assume so.

Almost certainly.

They’ve managed to keep TF&TWS pretty under wraps, aside from some location shooting that people got shots of.
- Either the US government doesn’t trust Sam to be Cap or Sam doesn’t feel like he’s up for the job, but either way we start with John Walker as a full-on propaganda Cap.
- Zemo gets involved, looks like he and Bucky at one point team up (in Europe?). I’m guessing Zemo will clue Sam and Bucky in on something shady with Walker.
- Big finale US Agent vs Falcon and Bucky fight
- Sam becomes Cap at the very end
- I swear Sam’s Cap uniform leaked in the form of concept art sometime last year, but I can’t find it again. There’s a more recent toy leak that claims to be Sam’s Cap outfit, but I’m skeptical because it hasn’t been backed up by anyone else, it’s from a line that also just does generic non-MCU versions of characters, and it’s way too comics-accurate for an MCU costume. I can’t imagine Anthony Mackie actually having to wear the weird “balaclava that leaves your hair exposed for some reason” thing that was so popular in 80s/90s designs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Splash Attack posted:

i really liked his quicksilver and i hope that he gets the chance to play that character again. :(

I mean, he just did. That's what the Bohner thing was. It was Marvel giving him a chance to play Quicksilver again, in a referential bit of casting that has no greater relevance. I can't imagine they're going to do that a second time, especially when people reacted so badly to the fact he didn't become a permanent feature as Peter Maximoff in the MCU so badly.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Almost certainly.

They’ve managed to keep TF&TWS pretty under wraps, aside from some location shooting that people got shots of.
- Either the US government doesn’t trust Sam to be Cap or Sam doesn’t feel like he’s up for the job, but either way we start with John Walker as a full-on propaganda Cap.
- Zemo gets involved, looks like he and Bucky at one point team up (in Europe?). I’m guessing Zemo will clue Sam and Bucky in on something shady with Walker.
- Big finale US Agent vs Falcon and Bucky fight
- Sam becomes Cap at the very end
- I swear Sam’s Cap uniform leaked in the form of concept art sometime last year, but I can’t find it again. There’s a more recent toy leak that claims to be Sam’s Cap outfit, but I’m skeptical because it hasn’t been backed up by anyone else, it’s from a line that also just does generic non-MCU versions of characters, and it’s way too comics-accurate for an MCU costume. I can’t imagine Anthony Mackie actually having to wear the weird “balaclava that leaves your hair exposed for some reason” thing that was so popular in 80s/90s designs.

It really is mirror match combat finales all the way down with Marvel isn't it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BurritoJustice posted:

That’s hardly a trope exclusive to Marvel

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s hardly a trope exclusive to Marvel

I know, it's just becoming more frustrating given that a show like Wandavision which had no right to end like that just did.

Isolated, it actually makes a lot of sense for FATWS given the theme of deciding Cap's legacy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BurritoJustice posted:

This has been the case since day 1 of the comics. The Fantastic Four are astronauts made into freaks because their leader is a scientist whose reach exceeded his grasp. They fight freaks of science, threats from space and Dr Doom, a scientist whose reach exceeded his grasp. Spidey's rogue's gallery is mainly either animal themed or people changed by science - heck, even the Trapster shares a theme in that he likes gluing people to the wall. Cap's enemies are usually mercenaries or private armies.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Splash Attack posted:

yeah, evan's casting definitely was deliberate. this means my current xmen crackpot theory is that they hired evans as bohner so they could slip him in as a xman later on. since he's already been cast in the mcu, people will just assume he's playing the same character, right?

The argument has been made that it had to be Peters because the audience wouldn't buy that some random actor was really Pietro. Because of the potential for multiverse shenanigans, people went along with it the whole time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BurritoJustice posted:

Not really, no. It usually happens once per solo hero, and not even definitely then. Thor wasn't really a mirror-match at any point for instance, nor Spiderman and Captain Marvel didn't have a mirror match villain in her one film so far. None of the Avengers films are mirror matches, nor are the Guardians films. Winter Soldier is kind of a mirror match of Cap, but he also wasn't really the villain of that story either. The MCU films with mirror matches are The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 1, maybe Iron Man 2 (depending on how you want to look at it), Ant Man 1, Doctor Strange and Black Panther 1 and that's probably it; even then Doctor Strange is also kind of debatable, since the Dormammu confrontation is the real climax of the film, rather than the wizard fight with Kaecilius.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The vast majority of the mirror matchups are in the first movie of a series. The only sequels that qualify (at least debatably) are Iron Man 2, Winter Soldier (if you consider Bucky the villain) and Ragnarok (in that they're both Asgardian gods). This also means that Iron Man and Captain America are the only two series to double dip.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 9, 2021

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

tsob posted:

None of the Avengers films are mirror matches, nor are the Guardians films.

Kinda hard to put together a team of mirrors.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

The boner joke is even a reused boner joke that the director got from his time on Growing Pains. He named Ralph after a character from Growing Pains as another old tv reference.

The more distant from watching the finale I am, the more I absolutely love the Fietro fakeout. Masterstroke in every way.

Same, the more time passes since the finale those "odd" choices feel better for me and the clear issues with making a TV show during a pandemic hit harder.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Seedge posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AgonizingCostlyAnnelid-mobile.mp4

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Seedge posted:

Hard, but not impossible by any stretch. The Injustice League, Crime Syndicate of America and probably a few other groups in DC are normally a mirror of the Justice League, as an example. There's also the Frightful Four in Marvel, and the Brotherhood of Mutants are sometimes dark mirrors of the X-Men lineup too. I'm sure there's some Avenger's villain group that has been a mirror match to them, though I've no idea of any off-hand.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tsob posted:

Hard, but not impossible by any stretch. The Injustice League, Crime Syndicate of America and probably a few other groups in DC are normally a mirror of the Justice League, as an example. There's also the Frightful Four in Marvel, and the Brotherhood of Mutants are sometimes dark mirrors of the X-Men lineup too. I'm sure there's some Avenger's villain group that has been a mirror match to them, though I've no idea of any off-hand.

The Masters of Evil have filled that role often enough. They're usually led by Baron Zemo and the roster regularly includes counterparts to Iron Man, Hank Pym in whichever size mode he's currently operating, Hulk and Thor.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

The Masters of Evil, some of whom ended up becoming the first incarnation of the Thunderbolts.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, Ultron is a mirror match in that he can use their powers, but AoU sucked so pay no attention to me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm looking forward to seeing a live action version of Troublemakers Incorporated.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Infinity War is arguably close-ish to a mirror match with the Black Order, and Thanos if you very arbitrarily stretch it to his sorta similar infinity stone powers

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BurritoJustice posted:

Infinity War is arguably close-ish to a mirror match with the Black Order, and Thanos if you very arbitrarily stretch it to his sorta similar infinity stone powers

Ehhhh....Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw are obvious counterparts of the Hulk and Dr. Strange, but I don't think Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight match up particularly closely with anyone in the Avengers. They're both just kind of all around superhumans, really. Even then, the Hulk refuses to come out and so never really fights Cull Obsidian, and Ebony Maw mostly fights Iron Man and Spiderman after defeating Dr. Strange.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

Ehhhh....Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw are obvious counterparts of the Hulk and Dr. Strange, but I don't think Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight match up particularly closely with anyone in the Avengers. They're both just kind of all around superhumans, really. Even then, the Hulk refuses to come out and so never really fights Cull Obsidian, and Ebony Maw mostly fights Iron Man and Spiderman after defeating Dr. Strange.

Cull and Maw fight hulk (neutered) and Strange in New York, then Glaive and Proxima end up fighting Widow and Cap in Scotland with very similar fighting styles. A fight that makes no sense considering they just went toe to toe with Vision and Wanda, but a surprisingly close one.

I guess Glaive matches up with Okoye in style but not power

In the New York fight Banner says he doesn't have his gun (to shoot himself in the mouth) so he can't force the Hulk when he is standing next to Bleeding Edge Stark and Dr. Strange lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tsob posted:

Ehhhh....Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw are obvious counterparts of the Hulk and Dr. Strange, but I don't think Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight match up particularly closely with anyone in the Avengers. They're both just kind of all around superhumans, really.

Glaive and Proxima are superpowered versions of Cap and Widow. They're both primarily melee combatants, with Glaive using a thrown weapon that always returns to his hand as a ranged option while Proxima uses poisonous energy blasts analogous to Natasha's Widow's Bite.