Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Grevlek posted:

I'll have to give RT3 another try. I like RT2s economy and growth system and RT2 is my favorite game in the train space.

I never took to any of the 3d games but your effort post makes me think I'm missing something

RT3 holds up surprisingly well, and somehow still has a semi active modding/map community.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3_main.php

The satisfaction of watching your railroad lines disrupt the land routes/river routes from the start of the game has not been equaled by any modern version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
is there a written guide to playing hammerting somewhere? its different enough from DF/ONI that i can't quite get a handle on it on my own

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

nessin posted:

I'm hyped about EG2 but I hope people remember what EG1 was and don't expect more than that. I love EG1 but I don't hold any illusions that it's more than something like Two Point Hospital with a different theme. It's strength was that feeling of building a base and luring "heroes" into their death in ways that were visually appealing but not complicated. The gameplay video's I've seen so far seem to show this is going to be the case with EG2 and so long as they don't try to do much more with it then they've got a winning formula that's looking on track with what we've seen. I just know nostalgia can kick people in the rear end and make you feel like the game is worse off for being what it should be expected to be rather than what you think it should be on vague memories.

Replaying EG1 recently made me more excited for EG2 because it actually has a fast forward button.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Jinnigan posted:

is there a written guide to playing hammerting somewhere? its different enough from DF/ONI that i can't quite get a handle on it on my own

Fall Down Terror has posted some basically mini guide tips before, but I found this one to be particularly useful. Once I got that stable foundation done, it made it a lot easier to parse other things and start figuring them out on my own.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jinnigan posted:

hammerting is a lot less complicated

basically you're exploring the mountain to generate lore points, and going to the overworld for trade missions to generate money, goods, and trade points. lore points and trade points are what you spend to unlock research. otherwise you're just searching for and digging out metals to turn into things to sell and use

what seems like the optimal research path right now is:

-foundry
-smithing
-dwellings
-axes
-food chain all the way to beer
-first aid, as needed
-arcane

once you get these things you should be good to cover most common repeating export requests. axes is the key early tech, go straight for it. you're 'established' once you have these things

-a dwelling for each dwarf
-upgraded weapons, at least copper if not iron
-ability to make first aid
-ability to make food and beer

then you're good to unlock elevators and start pushing downwards

fancier metals are good for fancier tools (in true dwarf fashion, more fancier = better tool) and very good for export. copper bladed swords with silver handles are a good way to burn off excess metal into coins, but there isn't much use for tons of coins right now

you don't need farmer rakes to farm. you DO need cook ladles to cook

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Ostriv might just be the chillest city builder I've ever played. It's super nice to get it to a stable state and just zone out and watch tv for a while.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are there any good management games on Switch?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I know kairosoft stuff is on there but they are way more expensive then what you can get on your phone even though its the same game.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Are there any good management games on Switch?

Stardew, Prison Architect, Cities Skylines, I think Civ is on there.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I just asked in this thread in the last page or so. Kairosoft games are fun but you are paying 3x as much as they are on mobile.

Most other suggestions are better on PC.

I grabbed a few kairosoft games that I didn't own, because they were ios exclusive on mobile. It is very nice to play a game with your hands at your side, almost makes it worth it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Prison Architect is also in a state right now (assuming Switch is up to date with PC) that is really pretty poo poo. I played it with the latest DLC and there's just so many bugs and "maybe-bugs" that I felt the need to warn about it. They've dropped a bugfix patch but a few of the big ones weren't addressed (including selling your prison to do a NG+ with more money.)

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Does anyone know a good village/base buildre (maybe bordering on 4X) where you can play a necromancer, build a dark and foreboding tower, craft terrible artifacts of lost magics, and then raise vast hordes of the undead to gently caress up men and elves and dwarves and also eagles?

Idk if I'm looking for "reskinned x-com" or "Rimworld but fantasy themed and also vastly expanded", right now trying to scratch that itch with Oddworld

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Does anyone know a good village/base buildre (maybe bordering on 4X) where you can play a necromancer, build a dark and foreboding tower, craft terrible artifacts of lost magics, and then raise vast hordes of the undead to gently caress up men and elves and dwarves and also eagles?

Idk if I'm looking for "reskinned x-com" or "Rimworld but fantasy themed and also vastly expanded", right now trying to scratch that itch with Oddworld

You aren't specifically a necromancer (though I think there is a "raise dead" spell) but have you tried War for the Overworld?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

You aren't specifically a necromancer (though I think there is a "raise dead" spell) but have you tried War for the Overworld?

I haven't, from the look of it it's basically Dungeon Keeper but new. Is there lot of venturing out and interacting with the world, or is it all waiting for the heroes to come to you?

Should I be looking at dwarf fortress? What else is out there?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

The first Guild / Europa 1400 has a necromancer profession, but you're less raising hordes of undead and more using dark rituals to blackmail and torture city officials to take their jobs.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Did they ever finish The Guild 3 to a decent state? Last I looked (probably a year ago) it was still half done and very slow on updates. Always loved guild 2 Ren, but would be nice to have something a bit more recent to get my business and political nepotism back on.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/329970/KeeperRL/
KeeperRL might be up your alley. Gotta build a dungeon with traps and what not. You can research spells and recruit all kinds of goblins and orcs. if you want undead create a graveyard and steal away bones to create skeletons zombies and mummies. Or you can summon demons or use infernal sciences to create hideous mutants.

You can send your minions to go out and destroy towns and enemy creatures and get rewarded for doing so.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can you slap imps to death to make vampires

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Hihohe posted:

KeeperRL might be up your alley. Gotta build a dungeon with traps and what not. You can research spells and recruit all kinds of goblins and orcs. if you want undead create a graveyard and steal away bones to create skeletons zombies and mummies. Or you can summon demons or use infernal sciences to create hideous mutants.

You can send your minions to go out and destroy towns and enemy creatures and get rewarded for doing so.

Well there goes the next month of my life!

(Thank you this looks like almost exactly what I was thinking of!)

Azhais posted:

Can you slap imps to death to make vampires

Dear god I hope so

e: feel free to keep throwing suggestions at me though

Ichabod Sexbeast fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 9, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/909320/Ruinarch/ ?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Unfortunately it’s incredibly shallow. I’ve been looking for a similar game as the other person, and I’ve come up with nothing that’s really the theme I want and a good game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ruinarch and KeeperRL are probably closest to the mark without straining comparison to every Dungeon Keeper inspired thing.

Comedy answer Dominions 5 certainly has some evil wizard play styles. I don't actually know how good it is these days solo or multiplayer because I mostly just fascinatedly pick through an after action report every once in a while muttering "what a strange game."

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ruinarch is more of a shoulder-devil simulator with some outworld aspects to it too. You're not exactly building an undead army, you're just making people in your villages sad by tattling on them to their friends when they're bad or lightly cursing them. Or at least that's what I've seen of it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Unfortunately it’s incredibly shallow. I’ve been looking for a similar game as the other person, and I’ve come up with nothing that’s really the theme I want and a good game.

Well I just bought it as a birthday present to myself, so guess I'll be finding out about mods for it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Captain Monkey posted:

Ruinarch is more of a shoulder-devil simulator with some outworld aspects to it too. You're not exactly building an undead army, you're just making people in your villages sad by tattling on them to their friends when they're bad or lightly cursing them. Or at least that's what I've seen of it.
That was the earliest build of it when you really only had the social tools. More wizardly things have been added since but it's still lacking something beyond being a literal sandbox you just kick the castles down in.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Admittedly it isn't bordering but fully 4X, but Warlock lets you play as an undead lich lording over a kingdom of the undead, fighting the living over who gets to be top wizard. Of course the game is essentially aping Master of Magic, and if you can tolerate an old and janky 4X you will have a lot more fun as lord of the undead in that one, as part of the game's hilarious unbalance is how over-powered certain undead creatures are.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Did they ever finish The Guild 3 to a decent state? Last I looked (probably a year ago) it was still half done and very slow on updates. Always loved guild 2 Ren, but would be nice to have something a bit more recent to get my business and political nepotism back on.

Still in EA and the reviews don't look good. God, what i wouldn't give for a competent studio to clone this idea and make a good game out of it. I wasn't a big fan of 2, because imo giving you direct control over your characters made everything fiddly and annoying, but I will stan the original till the end of time.

SAELIG seems to try for something similar, but it looks like it's missing the political stuff, which is the coolest feature of Guild

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Guild 2 had some of the best eurojank i'd ever seen. claw your way to the Mayoral seat only to be constantly bombarded by people begging for your council votes by slipping you fat bribes at far more than 10x your legit income

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Well I just bought it as a birthday present to myself, so guess I'll be finding out about mods for it

By all means, let me know if you find anything cool! I played a much earlier build (this is a longtime itch that the Dungeon Keeper series never managed to scratch) so maybe it's better now too. I didn't mean to be quite as down on the game (or Ruinarch) as my posts come across upon reread. I'd just love a Rimworld-but-you're-an-evil-Lich/Mastermind/Dungeon Keeper/Orc Clan Leader/whatever game.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Have you tried Rimworld of Magic?

Combined with one of the mods that let's you conquer other settlements that should get you most of what you are wanting I think.

You could even get the Z levels mod for an (extremely shot :v:) tower.

E: Or the Necromancer class in Age of Wonders?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Have you tried Rimworld of Magic?

Combined with one of the mods that let's you conquer other settlements that should get you most of what you are wanting I think.

You could even get the Z levels mod for an (extremely shot :v:) tower.

E: Or the Necromancer class in Age of Wonders?

I have not, but gonna get those mods, thanks!

Also I was hoping for something a little more granular and narrative than AoW, and also AoW3 doesn't let you play as a necromancer and blight the earth and *aggrieved grumbling*

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

Guild 2 had some of the best eurojank i'd ever seen. claw your way to the Mayoral seat only to be constantly bombarded by people begging for your council votes by slipping you fat bribes at far more than 10x your legit income

I got half my family on the council, rendering voting a pointless exercise for any other dynasty. Then I'd have them arrested for voting against me.

Great game.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
You could always try Master of Magic. Pretty old-school, but explicitly ancient and terrible wizards conquering the world.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Does anyone have an opinion on Airport CEO?

I bought it and played for about an hour and a half, my first impression is that it's a much deeper and more complex management sim than I expected, virtually nothing is automated right down to having to sign contracts with construction contractors and then choose how many builders you want, each with a daily wage, refueling planes with the right kind of fuel, etc.

It's got a definite learning curve for me (someone who knows very little about how airports are designed) and so far isn't clicking so I'm wondering if it's actually a good game beneath all of that and worth continuing to learn

Log082 posted:

I want a train network game where switching and yards are things. Intellectually, I know how difficult that would be and how little it would probably add. But at the same time, I want it.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Yeah I want a REAL good modern OpenTTD. Nothing current that I've played scratches the same itch. I just want to get really intricate and over the top about my switching and signalling because that's the kind of person I am.

I know it's not exactly an obscure game or anything but have you two played Factorio? Setting up very intricate railyards and train switching systems, integrating circuit logic into them and doing some fairly complex logistical programming is a huge, huge part of it starting in the midgame

72nd bday virgin fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 10, 2021

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

72nd bday virgin posted:

I know it's not exactly an obscure game or anything but have you two played Factorio? Setting up very intricate railyards and train switching systems, integrating circuit logic into them and doing some fairly complex logistical programming is a huge, huge part of it starting in the midgame

When I say "Switching" I mean yard engines sorting cars for longer trains or making short deliveries on spurs to local industries, then sorting empties for the return trip on the industry sidings. It's among the more interesting "operational" behavior of a railroad, with lots of short movements and at times almost logic puzzles to solve to get cars where they need to go - which is why it's both interesting to watch and extremely unlikely to fit in any game outside of a railroad simulator.

It's a shame, though, because most games just do "long, regularly scheduled (or stockpile driven) train from point A to point B" which doesn't really look prototypical.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Log082 posted:

When I say "Switching" I mean yard engines sorting cars for longer trains or making short deliveries on spurs to local industries, then sorting empties for the return trip on the industry sidings. It's among the more interesting "operational" behavior of a railroad, with lots of short movements and at times almost logic puzzles to solve to get cars where they need to go - which is why it's both interesting to watch and extremely unlikely to fit in any game outside of a railroad simulator.

It's a shame, though, because most games just do "long, regularly scheduled (or stockpile driven) train from point A to point B" which doesn't really look prototypical.

So kind of the gameplay of Derail Valley, except top-down rather than first person, combined with the track building of Transport Fever 2. Maybe also add a smattering of A-Train and require materials delivery and construction time for any track works.
The big question would be what size of area to simulate for this, it would probably have to be a relatively small thing like a single industry? Maybe a harbor?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

nielsm posted:

So kind of the gameplay of Derail Valley, except top-down rather than first person, combined with the track building of Transport Fever 2. Maybe also add a smattering of A-Train and require materials delivery and construction time for any track works.
The big question would be what size of area to simulate for this, it would probably have to be a relatively small thing like a single industry? Maybe a harbor?

Something like that, yeah. I think for something like that to be feasible you'd need a lot more granularity in industries than train games usually have. Workers and Resources actually comes the closest, and there are times when a short line industrial railroad is a sensible solution to moving materials in that game.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

72nd bday virgin posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Airport CEO?

I bought it and played for about an hour and a half, my first impression is that it's a much deeper and more complex management sim than I expected, virtually nothing is automated right down to having to sign contracts with construction contractors and then choose how many builders you want, each with a daily wage, refueling planes with the right kind of fuel, etc.

It's got a definite learning curve for me (someone who knows very little about how airports are designed) and so far isn't clicking so I'm wondering if it's actually a good game beneath all of that and worth continuing to learn

I want to say “yes” but I don’t know if you can go from it not clicking to suddenly clicking. I enjoyed the game out of the box with a small airport right up through a massive one. It doesn’t become easier - the opposite, really, as you end up needing more services for bigger planes and more numerous big planes, which requires more land, and thus more planning, etc. there isn’t really any automation that comes in.

It’s strongest positive is the ant farm effect. It absolutely rules to get your airport working and decorated and then kick back and watch planes land and get serviced and your passengers run around and shop and board. It’s probably one of my favorite games for that.

You don’t have to know too much about building airports specifically(?) other than some general rules that are more specific to the genre than the game - try to keep walking distances relatively low between the door, check in, security, shops/bathrooms, and gates. Your pull to make these distances bigger is just sheer capacity - whether that’s room for more jetways/stands or security checkpoints. That’s more or less the big push/pull in the game from my perspective. There are some specific pitfalls to avoid (jetways need a second story, you may have some trouble figuring out a good taxi way/field layout at first. Just Google earth search some airports and get a look at what they look like!)

Ultimately once you solve a system once (like, “how do I efficiently de-ice departing planes) you have a pretty good idea of what you need to do in the future and it becomes more of a game of efficiency jenga than really solving a new issue. I could see some players being turned off by that, because there’s a finite number of systems and they don’t directly interact - for example, there’s no real new emergent problem to solve once I add catering to the mix - it is it’s own separate system from say, cabin cleaning and it either works it doesn’t. So really once you make a working design it’s “solved,” and the only game left is if you want to expand or change it yourself to be prettier/more efficient/bigger.

Ultimately I think it’s a very good game and I like it a lot but I don’t know if that’ll be true for you or in general.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Log082 posted:

This is (I think) all possible with Factorio trains but advanced train use is beyond me. You could for example build a rail yard holding eight cars and use the circuit logic system to determine which one to send to a task based on the amount of resources that need to be moved as part of the task, but the common approach is to have all eight of those cars running at all times on their own tasks and developing a series of switches and circuit logic to make sure that they don't crash by switching them to alternate lanes when the first is full, teaching the trains how to detect the amount of resources available at a depot and not waste time waiting for a full cargo car when there isn't enough to fill it up, etc.

It's not necessarily a railroad simulator game but in a lot of ways it builds up to becoming one - at a certain point building your factory itself is something you easily blueprint and copy/paste, but the challenge becomes continually designing and building new train lines to transport resources to your factory. I don't know trains well enough in-game or in IRL to know if it fits what you're looking for but here are two videos to showcase what it's all about :

tour of a hyper-advanced extremely complex and well designed rail network:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9NjKDKXlck
(For context: This rail network allows factory blocks to send a request for resources to the train network, and the circuit logic will automatically determine the best storage area to get the resources from, dispatch a train to retrieve them, deliver them to the requested location, and then I believe return the empty car to an empty rail yard)

birds-eye look at how to plan a rail network:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXIPZNFSrvg&t=920s

(And all of that being said, there are other things you would have to be doing underneath the rail network stuff, so it's not a pure train network game, including automating the production lines of the resources that the trains are transporting)

Thanks! I'll stick with it, the things that aren't clicking yet are things like how exactly an airport uses public vs service roads and when they should be merged, how to lay out taxiway + runways to prevent traffic jams, etc - stuff I'll figure out from playing more :shrug:

72nd bday virgin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I want to say “yes” but I don’t know if you can go from it not clicking to suddenly clicking. I enjoyed the game out of the box with a small airport right up through a massive one. It doesn’t become easier - the opposite, really, as you end up needing more services for bigger planes and more numerous big planes, which requires more land, and thus more planning, etc. there isn’t really any automation that comes in.

It’s strongest positive is the ant farm effect. It absolutely rules to get your airport working and decorated and then kick back and watch planes land and get serviced and your passengers run around and shop and board. It’s probably one of my favorite games for that.

You don’t have to know too much about building airports specifically(?) other than some general rules that are more specific to the genre than the game - try to keep walking distances relatively low between the door, check in, security, shops/bathrooms, and gates. Your pull to make these distances bigger is just sheer capacity - whether that’s room for more jetways/stands or security checkpoints. That’s more or less the big push/pull in the game from my perspective. There are some specific pitfalls to avoid (jetways need a second story, you may have some trouble figuring out a good taxi way/field layout at first. Just Google earth search some airports and get a look at what they look like!)

Ultimately once you solve a system once (like, “how do I efficiently de-ice departing planes) you have a pretty good idea of what you need to do in the future and it becomes more of a game of efficiency jenga than really solving a new issue. I could see some players being turned off by that, because there’s a finite number of systems and they don’t directly interact - for example, there’s no real new emergent problem to solve once I add catering to the mix - it is it’s own separate system from say, cabin cleaning and it either works it doesn’t. So really once you make a working design it’s “solved,” and the only game left is if you want to expand or change it yourself to be prettier/more efficient/bigger.

Ultimately I think it’s a very good game and I like it a lot but I don’t know if that’ll be true for you or in general.

This sounds extremely my jam, and the game's shot up my wishlist. Thanks!