Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jujutsu Kaisen's anime has a fairly active thread, but up to now, the manga has been discussed in the Miscellaneous Shonen thread rather than getting a thread of its own. Now I'm finally correcting that!

Summary shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia:

quote:

Setting
In Jujutsu Kaisen, all living beings emanate an energy called Cursed Energy (呪力, Juryoku), which arises from negative emotions that naturally flow throughout the body. Normal people cannot control this flow in their bodies. As a result, they continually lose Cursed Energy, resulting in the birth of Curses (呪い, Noroi).

Jujutsu Sorcerers (呪術師, Jujutsushi, lit. "Cursed Technique Masters" or "Shamans") are people who control the flow of Cursed Energy in their bodies, allowing them to use it as they please and also to reduce its release. High-ranking Sorcerers and Curses can refine this energy and use it to perform Cursed Techniques (呪じゅ術じゅつ式しき, Jujutsushiki), which tend to be unique to the user or their family. An advanced form of Cursed Technique is Domain Expansion (領りょう域いき展てん開かい, Ryōiki Tenkai), through which the user can use their Cursed Energy to build a pocket dimension that covers the surrounding area within which all attacks will be stronger.

Plot
Yuji Itadori is an unnaturally fit high school student living in Sendai with his grandfather. He regularly avoids the track team due to the time commitment required for it, despite his innate talent for the sport. Instead, he chooses to join the Occult Research Club; due to the freedom it allows him in attending, he goes to visit his dying grandfather in the hospital every day. On his deathbed, his grandfather instills two powerful messages within Yuji: "always help people" and "die surrounded by people". These two ideas seemingly stem from his grandfather's own regrets. After his grandfather's death, Yuji interprets these messages as one statement: everyone deserves "a proper death".

Yuji is then confronted by Megumi Fushiguro, a sorcerer who informs him of a high-grade cursed charm talisman at his school that Yuji recently made contact with. His friends at the Occult Club unsealed the talisman, a rotting finger, which attracted Curses to the school, creatures that are brought about through negative emotions and are strengthened by consuming magical powers present in sorcerers or such charms. Unable to defeat the Curses due to his lack of magical powers, Yuji swallows the finger to protect Megumi and his friends and becomes the host of Ryomen Sukuna, a powerful Curse. Due to Sukuna's evil nature, all sorcerers are required to exorcise him (and by extension, Yuji) immediately. However, despite being possessed, Yuji is still able to retain control over his body for the most part. Seeing this, Satoru Gojo, Megumi's teacher, decides to take him to the Tokyo Prefectural Jujutsu High School to propose a plan to his superiors: postpone Yuji's death sentence until he consumes all of Sukuna's fingers, allowing them to kill Sukuna once and for all.

Thus summarized, it may sound a bit generic, but I would say Jujutsu Kaisen has four key qualities that make it stand out. The first is perhaps best summarized by this post:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen is one of the most slyly self-aware shonen I've ever read. It's like every little formulaic frustration I have with the genre was something the author noticed, and felt the same way about. The protagonists are happy to gang up or ambush opponents; the rear end in a top hat faction of social conservatives are actually villains as such; having a demonic other half that you can call on for power is actually a really bad idea, etc.

Jujutsu Kaisen also has good fight scenes (obviously an important quality for a battle manga); they're consistently both visually impressive and clever. Thirdly, it has a great sense of horror (but without being Chainsaw Man levels of edgy). And finally, I find its attempts at humor actually funny (subjective, I know), which is rare for shonen manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is a drat good one. I started reading it after watching the first anime episode and being in love with how it looked, and I caught up very fast. The series has also only gotten more interesting with time, and this last arc has opened more than a few questions, like why Rika's back with Okkotsu and what he's actually aiming towards. If it ends up in a fight between both protagonists, then that makes sense, but his personality seems very different than what it was in Volume Zero. I wonder what happened there.

Also probably worth pointing out in the first post that the manga is being translated officially and the newest three chapters can be found for free in MangaPlus (Viz too probably)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is a drat good one. I started reading it after watching the first anime episode and being in love with how it looked, and I caught up very fast. The series has also only gotten more interesting with time, and this last arc has opened more than a few questions, like why Rika's back with Okkotsu and what he's actually aiming towards. If it ends up in a fight between both protagonists, then that makes sense, but his personality seems very different than what it was in Volume Zero. I wonder what happened there.

Also probably worth pointing out in the first post that the manga is being translated officially and the newest three chapters can be found for free in MangaPlus (Viz too probably)

Oh yeah, should have mentioned that. It's on the Viz app.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So I'm like 90% certain I know what Yuuji's cursed technique is, and he's been unconsciously using it for some time now.

When he fights Toudou for the first time there's a moment where the narrator explicitly tells the audience "at that moment, memories of a past that never happened flowed into Toudou's mind" or something like that. We then see Toudou imagining a situation where he and Yuuji bonded over their love of Takada-chan, call each other brothers, and have a bunch of other comedic scenes that obviously never happened because they never met before. Toudou is kind of a gag character so it's easy to play this off as a joke and think nothing of it.

Except then it happens again, with Choso -- who up to that point was a deadly serious villain who credibly threatened the main casts' lives. And it uses the exact same language about "memories of a past that never happened." Choso starts referring to Yuuji as a brother (imagining him to literally be one of his "brothers" as a cursed fetus that then grew to adulthood, like Choso himself is) and is willing to go to any length to keep Yuuji safe and to validate their bond.

I guess it's technically possible that these two situations aren't actually related and Toudou's really is just a gag while Choso's is a genuine reveal about Yuuji's past. (That is, the scenes he imagined aren't real, but they are a tragic what-could-have-been and Yuuji really is a Death Painting like the three brothers.) Maybe the repeated phrase is just a quirk of translation or a common phrase that I'm reading into.

But I don't think so. I think Yuuji literally has the Power of Friendship, and instinctively used it on both Toudou and Choso, injecting false memories into their minds that paint him as someone they trust and would protect at any cost.

Which is loving terrifying. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 28, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So I'm like 90% certain I know what Yuuji's cursed technique is, and he's been unconsciously using it for some time now.

When he fights Toudo for the first time there's a moment where the narrator explicitly tells the audience "at that moment, memories of a past that never happened flowed into Toudo's mind" or something like that. We then see Toudo imagining a situation where he and Yuuji bonded over their love of Takada-chan, call each other brothers, and have a bunch of other comedic scenes that obviously never happened because they never met before. Toudo is kind of a gag character so it's easy to play this off as a joke and think nothing of it.

Except then it happens again, with Choso -- who up to that point was a deadly serious villain who credibly threatened the main casts' lives. And it uses the exact same language about "memories of a past that never happened." Choso starts referring to Yuuji as a brother (imagining him to literally be one of his "brothers" as a cursed fetus that then grew to adulthood, like Choso himself is) and is willing to go to any length to keep Yuuji safe and to validate their bond.

I guess it's technically possible that these two situations aren't actually related and Toudo's really is just a gag while Choso's is a genuine reveal about Yuuji's past. (That is, the scenes he imagined aren't real, but they are a tragic what-could-have-been and Yuuji really is a Death Painting like the three brothers.) Maybe the repeated phrase is just a quirk of translation or a common phrase that I'm reading into.

But I don't think so. I think Yuuji literally has the Power of Friendship, and instinctively used it on both Toudo and Choso, injecting false memories into their minds that paint him as someone they trust and would protect at any cost.

Which is loving terrifying. :v:
This aligns with the common theories and I only have two things to add This is probably a curse technique unintentionally placed on Yuji by his grandfather. Remember in the first chapter he was told to die surrounded by others, and on top of that after Yuji regains control of his body after Sukuna basically nuked part of Shibuya we see his grandfather's words be the ones thrown back at him, including the statement that Yuji should help people. To a kid who was very clearly contemplating suicide and death. It's dark but in both cases I think Yuji's drive to keep helping others as well as this power of friendship are inflicted upon him. And in the case of both Todo and Chose there was a connection established between them before the overall winner of the fight was given the false memories, Todo is just the kind of goof troop person that would have already liked Yuji but Choze has been utterly mindfucked by the whole thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I've been thinking yuuji's grampa cursed him from his deathbed for a long time. nanami's inner monologue before his death makes it pretty hard to think otherwise

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That might not be the only thing going on since Gojou mentioned that Sukuna's technique would get carved into his body, though I suppose that could be interpreted as making it possible for his own technique to manifest

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So fun fact, the author recently had an interview where they did a strange thing and spoiled the hell out of their own series.

For non spoiler stuff details like Geto was a homage to Sensui, but while Akutani was emotionally invested with Sensui, he was unable to find himself invested with Geto. Toudo was based on Kenpachi Zaraki from Bleach. The Death Painting fights are some of his favorites, however death paintings 4 to 9 are not special grade and won't show up during the serialization. Story is about at the halfway point, and he thinks there are about 2 more years left in it.

For something funny he was asked about Sukuna's interest in Megumi, and proceeded to giveaway everything. Saying exactly why Sukuna let him live, why he is interested and some other details. The people airing the interview apparently felt he gave away too much and censored his answers to the questions.

But he actually brought up the fake memories thing which I consider a spoiler and it was not censored. Namely he shot down your theories. The fake memories are not part of Yuji or Sukuna's abilities or any kind of technique. A direct quote "The false memories aren't foreshadowing or reference to any technique. Toudo and Choso both see the memories that never existed for different reasons.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Didnt someone in Bleach have that sort of power?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Didnt someone in Bleach have that sort of power?

I think it was one the bad guys in the fullbring arc or something like that. If he stabbed you he could literally insert himself into your past.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea he was one of the main bad guys of that arc. but like all things in this series that you could link to bleach, it's a lot more interesting in jujutsu kaisen

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

kirtar posted:

I think it was one the bad guys in the fullbring arc or something like that. If he stabbed you he could literally insert himself into your past.

Back in my day we called him 'Facebook: the villain'. You were going to accept that friend request whether you wanted it or not.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

MonsterEnvy posted:

So fun fact, the author recently had an interview where they did a strange thing and spoiled the hell out of their own series.

For non spoiler stuff details like Geto was a homage to Sensui, but while Akutani was emotionally invested with Sensui, he was unable to find himself invested with Geto. Toudo was based on Kenpachi Zaraki from Bleach. The Death Painting fights are some of his favorites, however death paintings 4 to 9 are not special grade and won't show up during the serialization. Story is about at the halfway point, and he thinks there are about 2 more years left in it.

For something funny he was asked about Sukuna's interest in Megumi, and proceeded to giveaway everything. Saying exactly why Sukuna let him live, why he is interested and some other details. The people airing the interview apparently felt he gave away too much and censored his answers to the questions.

But he actually brought up the fake memories thing which I consider a spoiler and it was not censored. Namely he shot down your theories. The fake memories are not part of Yuji or Sukuna's abilities or any kind of technique. A direct quote "The false memories aren't foreshadowing or reference to any technique. Toudo and Choso both see the memories that never existed for different reasons.
isnt occams razor megumi will have a super strong shikigami once 9 of them are dead, which i assume sukuna wants for reasons

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Relin posted:

isnt occams razor megumi will have a super strong shikigami once 9 of them are dead, which i assume sukuna wants for reasons

But Sukuna already defeated his ultimate Shikigami.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Finally a thread! Ive always wanted to make a Juju thread, but even here it only started getting popular after the anime hit its stride, (though it was mostly :effort: on my part.)

I think it only counts if Megumi had exorcized and controlled Mahoraja. Megumi can bring in other people into the initial taming but if the shikigami is defeated by another it nullifies the technique. But that might be a good point. A dead shikigami empowers another, so all 9 into mahoraga might make an already Gojo-level threat even stronger.

Really sucks about that false memories spoiler, unless its a fakeout. please be a fakeout.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think it only counts if Megumi had exorcized and controlled Mahoraja. Megumi can bring in other people into the initial taming but if the shikigami is defeated by another it nullifies the technique. But that might be a good point. A dead shikigami empowers another, so all 9 into mahoraga might make an already Gojo-level threat even stronger.

Megumi has to beat a Shikigami solo for it to count as taming.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
The translated fanbook

https://imgur.com/a/HGmL2zu
or
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S5wqHy3CiTkprxsNk5jiNgUXm8wadvg3-lq1jFM88Nw/edit

It's pretty lengthy but there's some cool tidbits and trivia

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Why Gojo covers his eyes.

quote:

The Six-Eyes essentially is "eyes that see cursed energy extremely clearly". Even covering his eyes, it is like he has high definition infrared vision. Even objects that have no cursed energy can be made out by the remnants of cursed energy or the flow of cursed energy around them. So if he is not covering his eyes, even while he uses Reverse Curse Technique to keep his brain fresh, its a bit tiring for him. If a normal person wore Gojo's sunglasses, it would be completely black and they would be unable to see through them.

Pretty much it's tiring to look at stuff without a filter on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Interesting that False Geto may not have been able to defeat and capture Jogo and Mahito, on his own.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

yum posted:

The translated fanbook

https://imgur.com/a/HGmL2zu
or
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S5wqHy3CiTkprxsNk5jiNgUXm8wadvg3-lq1jFM88Nw/edit

It's pretty lengthy but there's some cool tidbits and trivia

Huge bombshell dropped in this data book

Mahito doesn’t have a dick. Sadly it’s not revealed if he poops.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The interview with Tite Kubo there reminded me of a Tatsuki Fujimoto interview with Samura Hiroaki... in the opposite direction.

Kubo mentions how he doesn't really feel interested in the female cast of JJK, and Gege admits that part of that might be that he doesn't feel comfortable getting horny on the page.

Meanwhile, the girls in Chainsaw Man are somewhat similar in personality to the ones in JJK, but it's clear from interviews that's because Fujimoto has no issue getting horny on the page. (An interview with one of his assistants said that reading Denji was basically just seeing Fujimoto write himself)

Just kind of funny to see that from two mangaka who are compared so often, and who've gone on record praising each other.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I started with the anime and after 13 episodes having sold me on the concept jumped over to the manga. I felt like it started a bit slow with a lot of familiar shounen conventions, but has taken those in cool and fun directions which I really have enjoyed (unlike BNHA which I think is really lazy and boring with its tropes).

Right in the middle of the Shinjuku Incident and I really feel the hype for all these encounters!

e: poo poo im all caught up and GAT DANG

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 5, 2021

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Bit of a whatever chapter this week. Itadori lost and then thats it

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

UnderFreddy posted:

Bit of a whatever chapter this week. Itadori lost and then thats it

A bit of a time fill yeah

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gotta show off Okkotsu, though outside of Rika hes not much fun, just being inhumanly strong.
Sukuna smiling is never a good sign.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Looks like Sukuna is about to say something... wonder if he'll chant the "enchain" thing that was set up forever ago when he first revived Yuuji

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought it was pretty clear that Megumi's arriving.

Sukuna was about to intervene, but stopped and grinned because Megumi arrived and Sukuna has taken a liking to Megumi.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gotta show off Okkotsu, though outside of Rika hes not much fun, just being inhumanly strong.
Sukuna smiling is never a good sign.

Honestly wish this was the Yuta that just used other people's techniques instead of being a brick wall of curse energy shaped like a human. The new look for Rika was spooky though and that's one hell of an entrance.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Anyone else get the feeling Okkotsu isnt really trying to kill Itadori?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

i flunked out posted:

Anyone else get the feeling Okkotsu isnt really trying to kill Itadori?

He just stabbed him in the heart with a sword, OP

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wonder if Choso has a second face under his outfit like his brothers did.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Jerkface posted:

He just stabbed him in the heart with a sword, OP

I mean people surviving a stabbing in the chest is a fairly common trope tbh...

Why does Okkotsu stop Rika from killing Itadori outright? Why tell Rika they are just playing? Why does Okkotsu say this is going to be hard? Okkotsu should absolutely wipe the floor with Itadori tbh.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I mean when he slashed Itadori he was clearly going for the kill and it was only sheer reaction that kept Yuji's guts in place. Maybe the sword is gimmicky and designed to manufacture a fake death?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Everyone knows that killing Itadori means tangling with Sukuna, I probably wouldn't want to leave it to chance or my shikigami given how he's magic'd his way out of death before. Restraining and confusing him seems like a good strategy to keep Yuji in the drivers seat to deliver the killing blow vs allowing Sukuna to show up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Akutami has called Okkotsu "indecisive." I think Okkotsu himself isn't sure whether he's trying to kill Itadori or not.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Okkotsu probably would prefer to be the one fighting a possible Sukuna transformation than letting Rika do it and possibly get exorcised.

Funny enough this ties directly into the factoid from the recent analysis book where Gege flat out says Sukuna is stronger than Rika. If Rika had went for the kill, Sukuna probably would've come out and that might not end well for her- I dunno how specific Sukuna's binding vow with Itadori to not kill anyone if he takes the driver's seat himself is.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 9, 2021

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Everyone knows that killing Itadori means tangling with Sukuna, I probably wouldn't want to leave it to chance or my shikigami given how he's magic'd his way out of death before. Restraining and confusing him seems like a good strategy to keep Yuji in the drivers seat to deliver the killing blow vs allowing Sukuna to show up.

Having a shikigami snap his neck seems like a better way to kill Itadori than stabbing him the heart tbh. Itadori has already survived having his heart crushed by Sukuna, idk why stabbing him in the heart would seem more effective. Especially given the jujutsu sorcerers already know that it's not an actual death sentence for Itadori.

Silver2195 posted:

Akutami has called Okkotsu "indecisive." I think Okkotsu himself isn't sure whether he's trying to kill Itadori or not.

It feels more like a test to see whether Itadori gets taken over by sukuna or not at this point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Isn't that the opposite of the situation? Sukuna won't lift a finger to save Yuji's life and the few times he's actually taken over have just been because Yuji consumed a finger. Even when Chose was about to deliver the coup de grace Sukuna didn't do anything.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Hmm yeah I see what y'all are saying and how i might have thought about it backwards.

Seems to me that snapping his neck is no sure way, could be part of a "trap" to draw out Sukuna? I dunno, y'all raise the very good point that he's been through way worse, and Okkotsu prb knows all about it so not knowing isn't the likely reason.

Sukuna is also amazingly 2/3rds - 3/4s complete (unless more than his fingers were turned into cursed objects?) so maybe his smirk is just that he knows anything that is happening to Yuji is irrelevant since he made the binding agreement to take over whenever he wants and there is no one that can really threaten him left around?

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
When Yuji got stabbed Sukuna seemed to care for a moment. I imagine he cares a bit more about Yuji dying now that 15 fingers are in Yuji compared to the 5 before.