Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Christ, i hope Melrose isn't going to be front and center for their hockey coverage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Am I going to watch my dogshit garbage hockey team play tonight? Sure

Am I going to be happy about it? lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kilza posted:

Clement is 70 and just retired recently. Thorne is 72 and was recently let go by the Orioles, so his broadcasting days are likely over.
Clement was kind of uh, involuntarily guided into retirement, but yeah I can't see him wanting to do a national gig at this point

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hell I loved Thorne, Levy and Clement's calls too but if anyone honestly thinks ESPN is going to legitimately give a poo poo about the NHL beyond using it to fill time on ESPN+ then I've got some bridges to sell you

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

Christ, i hope Melrose isn't going to be front and center for their hockey coverage

Barry Melrose and Don Cherry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBgsaRFZJ2Q

There's at least a half-dozen truly terrible moments in the first 45 seconds of this.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 9, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

don't worry they'll also have creepy rear end john buccigross too

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

clean ayers act posted:

I would imagine we'll see some of the NBC talent come over, but who knows.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Bishop and Seguin haven't played this year, and they weren't some Can't Miss team to begin with.

From last year they were +3 in goal differential in the regular season to +2 right now, so some of that is luck.

Radulov also been missing significant time as well as depth guys. Also keep in mind that the Stars played more games than anyone during the playoffs and were basically held together with duct tape by the end.

This is honestly not a huge surprise. Disappointing, yes, but anyone following the Stars knew they likely be a bubble team this year.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

DJExile posted:

Hell I loved Thorne, Levy and Clement's calls too but if anyone honestly thinks ESPN is going to legitimately give a poo poo about the NHL beyond using it to fill time on ESPN+ then I've got some bridges to sell you

IF they have finals rights and put the finals on ESPN+ they're real dumb

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

I would imagine we'll see some of the NBC talent come over, but who knows.

Last I saw it wouldn't be ESPN getting exclusive rights, just shared TV and very likely exclusive streaming.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I keep waiting for someone national to snatch up Steve Mears
he's the perfect mix of bland and competent and has no deep ties to the Pens organization

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

clean ayers act posted:

Well the NHL would have to agree to that and I hope theyre not that dumb

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

shyduck posted:

Well the NHL would have to agree to that and I hope theyre not that dumb

They are definitely that dumb

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Yeah but when are we getting a game on Nickelodeon?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

clean ayers act posted:

This is the NHL were talking about

They are very dumb

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is the NHL were talking about

They are very dumb

I hear you but i mean ESPN would have to be very dumb. For the money they are presumably paying not trying to get ratings on the main channel would be beyond stupid. Especially if they are up against the NBA finals on that night, there's nothing else that would rate as high

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
golly I hope ESPN does the same asinine thing nbc did with the premier League and puts anything worth watching on their lovely streaming service I have no interest in buying

spoiler: this is exactly what is going to happen. buckle up

that being said I really dig these 5:00 p.m. central starts for some games. it fits well both in my family schedule and my happy hour schedule.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I mean streaming is the future and the only thing it's lacking to overtake TV right now is a big live sports contract so this makes sense. The NHL as the smallest major sports league being the first to do that makes sense. Still, the NHL on Disney+ plus sounds dumb as poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Put the NHL behind a paywall and it'll do one of two things:
a) End any interest I had in my already fading interest in most NHL regular season things not involving my dumb team.
b) End my interest long enough to create a void to restore my interest, but not enough to pay for the paywall because I'm a cheapass.

Kilza posted:

From the tweeted article:

This sounds like what FOX and NBC did with NASCAR and the Daytona 500 between 2001-06 (FOX got odd-numbered years, NBC got evens).

(e- ^That^ was in reference to ESPN supposedly getting four SCFs between '22 and '28.)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 10, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cocaine Bear posted:

Radulov also been missing significant time as well as depth guys. Also keep in mind that the Stars played more games than anyone during the playoffs and were basically held together with duct tape by the end.

This is honestly not a huge surprise. Disappointing, yes, but anyone following the Stars knew they likely be a bubble team this year.

I think the surprise is that they're not even a bubble team so far this season. Hell, if they sneak into the last playoff spot you've gotta throw confetti given how awful they've been.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ESPN's NHL broadcast crews the last three seasons they had coverage:

quote:

2001–02

Gary Thorne-Bill Clement
Steve Levy-Darren Pang
Dave Strader-Brian Engblom
Jack Edwards-Jim Schoenfeld
Dave Ryan-Joe Micheletti
Joe Beninati-Neil Smith

2002–03

Gary Thorne-Bill Clement and John Davidson
Steve Levy-Barry Melrose and Darren Pang
Joe Beninati-Neil Smith
Sean McDonough-Brian Engblom, Ray Ferraro, or Eddie Olczyk

2003–04

Gary Thorne-Bill Clement and John Davidson
Steve Levy-Barry Melrose and Darren Pang
Joe Beninati-Neil Smith
Sean McDonough-Brian Engblom, Ray Ferraro, or Eddie Olczyk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ESPN_National_Hockey_Night_personalities

Have to admit, I'm not a big Steve Levy fan.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder if there will be an option to pay $20 a month or whatever to get rid of streaming blackouts without having to gently caress around with VPNs in my lifetime or if sport leagues will be perpetually tethered to cable networks until no one under the age of 40 watches them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As long as the networks are the biggest source of income the streaming options will be second class. The NHL can't even fill up the breaks with ads on their streaming service and commonly play the same ad twice in a row. The networks can get more advertisers and any losses are mitigated by making money somewhere else so it's impossible to compete.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shinjobi posted:

I think the surprise is that they're not even a bubble team so far this season. Hell, if they sneak into the last playoff spot you've gotta throw confetti given how awful they've been.

It's been hard to watch. Not good when the best thing about the season is the gimmick jersey.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Curtis Lazar just straight up flip piledrivered Scott Laughton into the ice off a center ice draw and nothing was called

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1369441579677741061

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Good hockey play, also a good finishing move

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

triple sulk posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
The Avs have dealt with injuries all season long.
The backup goalie Francouz has been out all year, and we have {NaN Player Not Found} in the pipeline. Plus Erik Johnson has been out for all but maybe three games, and he's a big part of our defense. That's on top of Makar out for several stretches now, as well as Byrum. Thankfully Girard and Toews have been awesome. Plus we have only recently added anyone to the LTIR.

Losing MacKinnon was also pretty drat bad. Calvert just got back, hopefully he stays. And thankfully Grubauer started this year strong, much better than I thought he was going to be. Also Saad is great, and Burakobsky andKadri has been catching up after a slow start.

Just get everyone healthy and we'll be great.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The Premier League/Champions League going exclusive to DAZN here basically ended my ability/will to watch them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I wonder if there will be an option to pay $20 a month or whatever to get rid of streaming blackouts without having to gently caress around with VPNs in my lifetime or if sport leagues will be perpetually tethered to cable networks until no one under the age of 40 watches them

ESPN will probably let you stream it. It’s the regional channels that are responsible for the local blackouts and that’s never going to end until the teams aren’t part owners in those regional channels. And right now, provided you have access to the national NBCsports you can stream via that website too. I’ve been primarily streaming the NHL since about 2010 and it’s gotten better, but they don’t have that much input on how stupid the national streaming part ends up being.

The worst part of it is trying to figure out which website/service I need to load up that night.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Detroit's new arena is only 3 years old and already the horn is broken and going off repeatedly during the middle of play during tonight's Bolts-Wings game. Guess it's time for a new arena.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1369457269721726982

I LIKE it

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm also open for a trade

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/NHLBlinn/status/1369467211547631617

Hahaha the look on his face at the end.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/1369474042491723776

Incredibly irritating for the Leafs to lose again, and Andersen is not good, but the Leafs are still outplaying their opponents by a pretty wide margin. 39-23 shots this time. Oh well.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Didn’t see the game but judging by the shot count and that heat map it sounds like a regular Jets game.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Gerblederp posted:

Didn’t see the game but judging by the shot count and that heat map it sounds like a regular Jets game.

pretty much except neither Scheifele nor Wheeler scored an empty-net goal

also you should watch the highlights for the Ehlers->Connor goal and the Appleton goal :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Andersen is not good

Andersen’s trajectory has been interesting, I’ve never been his biggest fan but he’d been perfectly good until last year when he fell off a cliff. He started this year poorly, went on a good run, and now it seems he’s back to his usual hot/cold performance.

The Leafs are going to have to lose somebody in the off-season and Andy went from untouchable to... maaaaayyyybe. I think he needed a statement year to prove last season was a fluke and that he’s not slowing down, and he’s not quite doing it yet.