Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Saban people really thought the fandom's love for Tommy was about wanting to see Jason David Frank until he's on Social Security, and not that people are interested in characters who are at least temporarily not wholesome role models or card-carrying villains.

Power Rangers is, ultimately a show for children. They totally wanted to see JDF all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm pretty sure he's the dad of the green and black rangers, same last name.

As for anti hero characters that maybe fight the rangers before joining them, has the source material been providing any? I think Ninja Steel had a lady they got the battlizer from who was working against them at first.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MisterBibs posted:

Power Rangers is, ultimately a show for children. They totally wanted to see JDF all the time.

Like most of the goonsphere I'm a young professional without kids. Can you actually affirm that kids born after Turbo actually want to see JDF's aging on screen? I assumed that was supposed to be a treat for us old fucks who refuse to turn it off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think what the poster means is young kids totally want to see a JDF-type for the kicks and flips rather than the internal conflict.

I think kids like both personally.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm pretty sure he's the dad of the green and black rangers, same last name.

As for anti hero characters that maybe fight the rangers before joining them, has the source material been providing any? I think Ninja Steel had a lady they got the battlizer from who was working against them at first.

Several of the recent series that haven't gotten adapted yet have those

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Today I noticed that the PR wiki's index of anti-hero characters hasn't seen a new TV ranger since RPM Black, and in fact the only character who isn't on a black or white morality spectrum for the past ten years was Heckyl.

Saban people really thought the fandom's love for Tommy was about wanting to see Jason David Frank until he's on Social Security, and not that people are interested in characters who are at least temporarily not wholesome role models or card-carrying villains. More than mediocre theme songs, desperately clinging to 25 year old ideas, etc I think this focus on starkly defined morality has really sunk the show to me. Magna Defender didn't even have a face and he's more complicated than most of the characters that do today.

Power Rangers is stuck in this weird paradigm where its a modern kids series, but with old as hell ideas on writing. Part of it is that its been running nonstop and no one has tried to bring anything fresh to the table- see Sentai- but also because its live action, censors watch it with greater scrutiny.

It isn't allowed to stretch its character writing legs like shows that have come along since then.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's also a case of "Why bother making another PRiS, TF when it's cheaper not to"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do understand them not adapting the train sentai because that has no appeal to modern kids in the US, but I'm baffled they didn't adapt the Minecraft sentai.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I do understand them not adapting the train sentai because that has no appeal to modern kids in the US, but I'm baffled they didn't adapt the Minecraft sentai.

I mean, there’s still time for the latter (Go Busters got adapted after Ninninger did after all). Unless Hasbro has flat out said they’re not doing it that is.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It's not even Minecraft Sentai. It's Goofy Animal Sentai with a weird cube aesthetic.

Zyuohger was pretty good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If the writing is good, they don't necessarily need to be villain rangers, they can just kind of be dicks (See: RPM Black)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dino Fury probably could have done it right now if they had simply made an original face-actor villain instead of using the Gaisorg suit. And I suppose there's still time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Dino Fury probably could have done it right now if they had simply made an original face-actor villain instead of using the Gaisorg suit. And I suppose there's still time.

The definitely time. I'm sure they'll also figure out how to work in the Brown suit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am not too familiar with Ryusoulger but my understanding is their equivalent of Void Knight is an evil sentient armor and the guy who it is possessing dies very shortly after shaking off its control or something?

So is there any substantial footage of that suit being part of the team?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am not too familiar with Ryusoulger but my understanding is their equivalent of Void Knight is an evil sentient armor and the guy who it is possessing dies very shortly after shaking off its control or something?

Maybe two episodes worth of footage at most as far as I remember, then it winds up becoming an upgrade for the Red Ranger.

Granted it’s possible the PR version of events will go down a bit differently but I sort of doubt they’d pass up the opportunity to promote a new toy either. We’ll see I suppose.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 5, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Maybe two episodes worth of footage at most as far as I remember, then it winds up becoming an upgrade for the Red Ranger.

Granted it’s possible the PR version of events will go down a bit differently but I sort of doubt they’d pass up the opportunity to promote a new toy either. We’ll see I suppose.

PR tends to want to give every member a Super Mode so I imagine the main team will get recolored lookalikes of the Super rather than just leaning on the Upgraded souls/boosts as their Super

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

PR tends to want to give every member a Super Mode so I imagine the main team will get recolored lookalikes of the Super rather than just leaning on the Upgraded souls/boosts as their Super

Well that’d still be an improvement over the Sentai in this case which was Red-centric as all hell

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PR uses much less of the costumed parts of Sentai than it used to.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Well that’d still be an improvement over the Sentai in this case which was Red-centric as all hell

What do you mean? Ryusoulger definitely wasn't the Koh Show Ft. Canalo.

The fact that the series had a million super-forms and they all were either exclusively or mostly used by them is just a coincidence!
So is the fact that Koh gets every support mecha!
And that they went and killed an actually really interesting character to give this bland fucker yet another loving super mode and it wasn't even the goddamn last one...

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I started collecting the lightning figures. I'm not gonna find Jason for less then $50 now am I

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 6, 2021

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Blaze Dragon posted:

What do you mean? Ryusoulger definitely wasn't the Koh Show Ft. Canalo.

The fact that the series had a million super-forms and they all were either exclusively or mostly used by them is just a coincidence!
So is the fact that Koh gets every support mecha!
And that they went and killed an actually really interesting character to give this bland fucker yet another loving super mode and it wasn't even the goddamn last one...

I've only watched clips here and there but it's a drat shame that the awesome armored suit the red ranger gets is instantly replaced with a lame rear end cape and collar.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Two clips for the new episode of Dino Fury-one on Facebook Nickelodeon:

https://www.facebook.com/nickelodeon/posts/10159754497591318

and the usual Youtube one:

https://youtu.be/6W9ZIq1yHbA

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

fit em all up in there posted:

I started collecting the lightning figures. I'm not gonna find Jason for less then $50 now am I

If you can't find him, you've actually found DX chase figure "Peace Conference Jason"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I decided this week they put up way too much of the show in clips in advance

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm feeling pretty good about this serious

Though I still think the full ready-insert key-connect to morphin grid thing is way too long
Hoping that gets dropped soon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

I'm feeling pretty good about this serious

Though I still think the full ready-insert key-connect to morphin grid thing is way too long
Hoping that gets dropped soon

Wasn’t the Dino Charge morph call even longer?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the key thing is long but they've had it interesting in context so far, like doing it in a dramatic pose with the monster behind you, or doing it as a group the first time after practicing with the leader smiling and saying "Nice" when they get it right.

I bet seeing the use of the keys is very toyetic, I almost want to get and play with a morpher myself, so I would expect kids enjoy that and would want to buy the toys themselves.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t the Dino Charge morph call even longer?

I'm sure it was when they called out each Dino-Charger, but did they do that every time?

I think the key thing is long but they've had it interesting in context so far, like doing it in a dramatic pose with the monster behind you, or doing it as a group the first time after practicing with the leader smiling and saying "Nice" when they get it right.

I bet seeing the use of the keys is very toyetic, I almost want to get and play with a morpher myself, so I would expect kids enjoy that and would want to buy the toys themselves.

Yeah, it's been ok so far but I imagine they won't bother setting it up like this for much longer. Hopefully when that happens they'll just cut to the stock footage rather than pad the runtime with the full sequence. I second the morpher wanting as well!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The spin thing is really fun
https://twitter.com/PowerRangersFun/status/1368260092672446471?s=19

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

you spin me right round, baby, right round
like a morpher baby right round round round~

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I love the morphed, but find the key gimmick extremely lame.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

I love the morphed, but find the key gimmick extremely lame.

Same. I thought maybe I was just an old.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The key would be better if they had to eat the key the same way that the sword does

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
oh man they are totally gonna make Ollie and Amelia into a couple aren't they

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Junpei posted:

oh man they are totally gonna make Ollie and Amelia into a couple aren't they

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
apparently there won't be a new episode this weekend 'cause of the Kids Choice Awards? kinda bummer timing for that since i think we're meant to be having Black and Green join in the next ep and it'll be interesting to see how they work with the current cast since we've had a pretty good three member dynamic so far

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How TF does the kids choice impact a show on at god drat 7 am?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

How TF does the kids choice impact a show on at god drat 7 am?

i guess any excuse for Nick to do a full day of Spongebob reruns? :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We live in a technology cursed hellscape

https://twitter.com/Battle4TheGrid/status/1370121868632539139?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://hasbropulse.com/products/power-rangers-lightning-collection-mighty-morphin-metallic-armor-pink-ranger-figure

Was checking out figures on Hasbro pulse, and came across this one.