Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Warbird posted:

Hold up, beatsaber has multiplayer?

yes, but not on quest if you modded your copy to play custom songs >: (

wrt beatsaber: this is one of my favorite triphop gems and the track isnt terrible either
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLDXWtvmEI

also, big beatsaber tip: missing blocks entirely will drain your energy WAY more than hitting them incorrectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Had h3vr been updated to not show the control bindings on a loving vive wand yet? :argh:

Yes!

DelphiAegis posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Into the Radius or Stride?

I enjoyed the first stalker so Into the Radius looks neat, but I'm not real sure how my computer will handle it.

Stride looks a bit less graphically intensive, but more active, though I'm cautious with it being in EA. Both are on sale, though.

I am a dude who likes janky games and into the radius was too janky for me. I should give it another chance but its real hard to get into.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

H3VR is like hitting yourself in the crotch with a brick when you're first starting out, but once you learn the basic controls (either by trial and error, asking people, or watching the devlogs) it's by far the best VR gun touching game out there. Like, other games are very "game-y" by comparison, even stuff like Onward that is ostensibly supposed to be a simulation, H3 blows it out of the loving water. I feel way more "immersed" in the reality of the firefight against a bunch of animated hotdogs with goofy voices than I do against whatever terrorists or soldiers any other game has thrown at me.

E:

It's not even just the guns, it's the way it implements your inventory and everything, everything has a physicality to it that is just not there in any other game. It's really good for immersion.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Lockback posted:

Yes!

I am a dude who likes janky games and into the radius was too janky for me. I should give it another chance but its real hard to get into.

Yeah, I ended up going through the tutorial and one "mission", but barely going into the radius had me dropping a fair number of frames so I ended up requesting a refund. drat my cheap half-potato computer. It runs Warframe fine! :mad:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Go play the Sample Platter scenario in H3VR, it's literally the tutorial you're all looking for.

It's still jank as gently caress, but it does have instructions for most of the mechanics.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

Hold up, beatsaber has multiplayer?

Yes and it’s a LOT of fun. However, you all have to do the same song at the same difficulty which is less fun than, at least, being able to set your own difficulties.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Is there any interaction between the players or is it just playing the same song at the same time and seeing who gets a higher score?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
:burger:

quote:

I was sold on the extreme attention to detail, like loading individual bullets into a magazine. The finger tracking just isn't quite there with the knuckles, which makes for some poor experiences occasionally. The actual combat was a letdown; id take the sniper elite nazi zombies over shadowy ghosts or whatever. I agree I should also give it another chance, though!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
These dudes serving up crazy spin moves in Eleven, is this just actual table tennis stuff that I can learn or are they using tricks specific to this game?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Thoom posted:

Is there any interaction between the players or is it just playing the same song at the same time and seeing who gets a higher score?

Score attack, no interaction, but you can see them off to the side. I didn’t think it was very interesting when I played it with my friend and will likely never touch it again.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

prom candy posted:

These dudes serving up crazy spin moves in Eleven, is this just actual table tennis stuff that I can learn or are they using tricks specific to this game?

idk if these specific moves are related to a software hack, but i've seen them in real life and its even more ridiculous.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay those H3VR modes are sick, thanks for the recommendation! I played capture and hold for a couple hours tonight. I'm terrible at it but it seems highly dependent on your starting gun. Rottweiner seems neat but after the tutorial I just wanted to shoot stuff and there seems to be a lot of walking around and talking to people in that one.

It's a bummer this game doesn't support multiplayer, shooting the poo poo with a friend on a range sounds like a lot of fun.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 10, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah multiplayer on H3VR would be so good. That'd be amazing if they added it.

Just faffing about on the ranges is a blast and I am gradually discovering how to do all sorts of things that it doesn't really tell you, like trigger + up on the joystick to turn on lasers/flashlights hah

What is the little "thermal something or other" on the blade runner gun for?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

priznat posted:

Yeah multiplayer on H3VR would be so good. That'd be amazing if they added it.

Just faffing about on the ranges is a blast and I am gradually discovering how to do all sorts of things that it doesn't really tell you, like trigger + up on the joystick to turn on lasers/flashlights hah

What is the little "thermal something or other" on the blade runner gun for?

Multiplayer's just flat not happening because of the physics overhead, Anton's responded to that one on more than one occasion.

The thermal clip is a release lever on the side of the gun. Over time the thermal clip overheats and needs to be exposed to cool. Just flip the lever to expose it and it'll cool if you haven't used it too much. Otherwise you'll need to eject and replace. If you don't, accuracy decreases and the gun will break.

Also make sure you toggle the battery on before firing, I think it's the safety/mode-toggle that does it. The gun will beep and the light on the cylinder will turn green.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

explosivo posted:

Okay those H3VR modes are sick, thanks for the recommendation! I played capture and hold for a couple hours tonight. I'm terrible at it but it seems highly dependent on your starting gun. Rottweiner seems neat but after the tutorial I just wanted to shoot stuff and there seems to be a lot of walking around and talking to people in that one.

It's a bummer this game doesn't support multiplayer, shooting the poo poo with a friend on a range sounds like a lot of fun.

Rottweiners is 100% a walking sim. Well, 95%. The 5% is 'panic firing into a mob because that first rifle shot attracted a dozen zombies and you're only making it worse'.

With Take and Hold, you can set it to spawn lock ammo, and give you the item spawner at the start, so you get your preferred loadout from the getgo. I love the rougelite nature of it, especially modded with Escape from Tarkov gear and enemies, but sometimes starting with a kitted out Steyr AUG and Browning HP35 and just rolling weiners and hold points hard is a good time.

Also the comedy option of the upscaled Giant Kolibri, which is amazing effective at all times

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Multiplayer's just flat not happening because of the physics overhead, Anton's responded to that one on more than one occasion.

The thermal clip is a release lever on the side of the gun. Over time the thermal clip overheats and needs to be exposed to cool. Just flip the lever to expose it and it'll cool if you haven't used it too much. Otherwise you'll need to eject and replace. If you don't, accuracy decreases and the gun will break.

Also make sure you toggle the battery on before firing, I think it's the safety/mode-toggle that does it. The gun will beep and the light on the cylinder will turn green.

Yeah I figured there must be some technical reason why not because it would be a no brainer if it was somewhat straightforward!

Ah I see for the BR gun.. I hadn't fired it enough to overheat. It was pretty fun with the tracers!

Also for bolt action rifles do folks cycle the bolt with the dominant hand (ie the one that pulls the trigger) like on a real rifle or do it with the other hand? I find rifle handling a bit off with my support hand often having little effect on the position of the rifle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

priznat posted:

Ah I see for the BR gun.. I hadn't fired it enough to overheat. It was pretty fun with the tracers!

Tracers are the least of what it can do. Deploy an ammo spawner out of the item vault and see what else it has...

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Saukkis posted:

I think a slightly better way is to configure the router dedicated for Q2 to work only as an access point. I got ASUS RT-AC66U for this use and I disabled the DHCP server in it. I plugged the ethernet cable from my internet router to one of the LAN ports and connected my desktop to another. My desktop and Q2 receive their IP settings from my internet router and they are all on the same network without extra NAT.

My concern with this was that they said their PC must connect to the Internet supplying 2.4 GHz router over WiFi, which implies they cannot run a cable to it. But they also mentioned they wanted to connect to the 5 GHz router via an Ethernet cable, which implies the 5 GHz router would be at the computer. So you wouldn't be able to connect the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz routers together with a cable.

I figured if they were just using it for Virtual Desktop, they could just swap access points back to the 2.4 GHz when they wanted to do something standalone.

And good call on that Windows routing stuff. I didn't know Windows made it difficult to route multiple networks at once. It seems to involve some annoying things.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

priznat posted:

Yeah I figured there must be some technical reason why not because it would be a no brainer if it was somewhat straightforward!

Also for bolt action rifles do folks cycle the bolt with the dominant hand (ie the one that pulls the trigger) like on a real rifle or do it with the other hand? I find rifle handling a bit off with my support hand often having little effect on the position of the rifle.

Bolt actions I don't think are well documented, but I've gotten used to using my dominant hand to work the bolt. When you hold on to a gun by its front / foregrip only, it will match your hands position.

Anyway, the.fancy way to work the bolt- either you press right on the touxhpad (I only know Vive controls) then you rotate the controller upwards, then back again. You can also set it to use just the touchpad in the Options panel, where you click right, them drag you thumb to the centre, then down on the touchpad.

I prefer the former method, it's not dissimilar to how lever actions work except you need to click to make a bolt action unlock first.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Quickbolt actually just got added to the streamlined controls last Friday on the beta branch, you activate it with Y on the offhand

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

last time i checked the only multiplayer anton was considering for h3 is with the other player using an x360 controller, i have no idea why

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

sea of losers posted:

last time i checked the only multiplayer anton was considering for h3 is with the other player using an x360 controller, i have no idea why

Gorn does that, lets someone control a gladiator that the VR user can wail on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sea of losers posted:

Again; Physics. H3VR models ballistic and firearm physics as accurately as possible and there's gently caress-all spare overhead for more than one player. The 360 controller thing was about a second player maybe controlling a drone on desktop.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Again; Physics. H3VR models ballistic and firearm physics as accurately as possible and there's gently caress-all spare overhead for more than one player.

i understand this concept, just not how it was to be integrated into gameplay.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

sea of losers posted:

i understand this concept, just not how it was to be integrated into gameplay.

My guess is either a peashooter with vastly simplified physics, or just being a camera drone and calling out enemy locations for the VR player.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I have a question about foveated rendering - maybe someone can explain?

I get the basic idea - what you look at will be rendered at higher resolution than the perphery. However - from which layer does the performance gain come from? The wiki page lists a bunch of press releases of headset producers testing foveated rendering but - talking about the PCVR experience - aren't the game engine and drivers more important for the actual performance gain once you have eye tracking? Sure in an all-in-one solution like the quest2 rendering also happen in the headset but the game is still built on top of unity or uinreal engine or something - doesn't the engine there dictate what the GPU will be rendering? Shouldn't it be the engine that builds up the scene differently with less details for the periphery?

As you can see I am a complete dumbass when it comes to 3d rendering so feel free to mock me but I'd love to learn a bit more about the process at a high level.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirTagz posted:

I get the basic idea - what you look at will be rendered at higher resolution than the perphery. However - from which layer does the performance gain come from? The wiki page lists a bunch of press releases of headset producers testing foveated rendering but - talking about the PCVR experience - aren't the game engine and drivers more important for the actual performance gain once you have eye tracking? Sure in an all-in-one solution like the quest2 rendering also happen in the headset but the game is still built on top of unity or uinreal engine or something - doesn't the engine there dictate what the GPU will be rendering? Shouldn't it be the engine that builds up the scene differently with less details for the periphery?

As you can see I am a complete dumbass when it comes to 3d rendering so feel free to mock me but I'd love to learn a bit more about the process at a high level.

The point of foveated rendering is the hardware only has to fully-render a relatively-narrow part of the displayed image at full detail at any one time - ie; whatever the player's eyes are actively looking at at any given moment. Without it, the hardware has to render everything fully 100% of the time and that's a heftier hardware requirement. Think like how with "conventional" console games you might catch a glimpse of pop-in with low-res models and textures in places where the game was assuming you wouldn't get to quite so quickly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SirTagz posted:

The gains come from rendering the periphery at much lower resolutions than the resolutions used right now. That's the idea. It's the same for pcvr or for standalone. And yes, the engine will be the one who renders different parts at different rates or resolutions. But that only can be done once the eye tracking is good enough, so it's a hardware problem right now.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

SirTagz posted:

You play game X and get 50 fps @ 1440p, 75 fps at 1080p and 90 fps @ 720p.

You have a 1440p screen and it's sharp but your eyes really only focus on 10% dead in the middle, so all of that periphery data isn't as valuable.

So why not render the periphery at 1080p and the outermost edge at 720p for more performance gains

I don't think the engine plays the same role you're thinking

marumaru
May 20, 2013

forest spirit posted:

You play game X and get 50 fps @ 1440p, 75 fps at 1080p and 90 fps @ 720p.

You have a 1440p screen and it's sharp but your eyes really only focus on 10% dead in the middle, so all of that periphery data isn't as valuable.

So why not render the periphery at 1080p and the outermost edge at 720p for more performance gains

I don't think the engine plays the same role you're thinking

and with eye tracking, you can render a much smaller piece at native resolution, because you know where your eyes are actually looking. you only really ever see full resolution, but only 10% of the display is running at full resolution at any given time

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I think the tricky part is tracking and determining the focus point of these twitchy organic lenses which differ from person to person in shape and even function.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

prom candy posted:

If you customize your paddle to have low bounce but sticky surfaces you can hit the ball with a quick lateral motion and give it a ton of spin without accidentally sending it flying into the corner of the room.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://research.fb.com/blog/2020/05/deepfovea-ar-vr-rendering-inspired-by-human-vision/

cool article for those who haven't seen it

KinkyJohn posted:

I think the tricky part is tracking and determining the focus point of these twitchy organic lenses which differ from person to person in shape and even function.

eyes are also not rigid bodies, so when we move them they're wiggly and weird too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some VR apps already do it based on where your head is pointed. I’m pretty sure oculus home renders the outer portion of the viewport at lower res

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

yeah the quests do a dummy version where it's just the centre of the display. Foveated rendering works without eye-tracking it's just not ideal

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SirTagz posted:

I get the basic idea - what you look at will be rendered at higher resolution than the perphery. However - from which layer does the performance gain come from? The wiki page lists a bunch of press releases of headset producers testing foveated rendering but - talking about the PCVR experience - aren't the game engine and drivers more important for the actual performance gain once you have eye tracking?

You're correct; the performance gain comes at the layer of the game engine and the individual game, and it has to be implemented at that level. This applies to titles on both PC and standalone devices.

When you see someone lower down the chain talking up their foveated rendering tech it is one of three things:
  1. They've made a hardware change that, if the engine does a lot of hardware-specific coding, can make foveated rendering 1% more efficient on their hardware than their opponents'. Nvidia used to be very bad at this.
  2. They're writing code to implement foveated rendering for their headset within a specific engine, like Unity or UE.
  3. They're making hardware and drivers to track the player's eyes, which can provide information to the game engine about where it should focus the rendering rather than assume the player is looking forwards.
The first two are mostly old news at this point, so if you're seeing news about foveated rendering these days it's the last one. But again, it won't do anything in games and engines that don't implement it.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

The gains come from rendering the periphery at much lower resolutions than the resolutions used right now. That's the idea. It's the same for pcvr or for standalone. And yes, the engine will be the one who renders different parts at different rates or resolutions. But that only can be done once the eye tracking is good enough, so it's a hardware problem right now.

NRVNQSR posted:

You're correct; the performance gain comes at the layer of the game engine and the individual game, and it has to be implemented at that level. This applies to titles on both PC and standalone devices.

When you see someone lower down the chain talking up their foveated rendering tech it is one of three things:
  1. They've made a hardware change that, if the engine does a lot of hardware-specific coding, can make foveated rendering 1% more efficient on their hardware than their opponents'. Nvidia used to be very bad at this.
  2. They're writing code to implement foveated rendering for their headset within a specific engine, like Unity or UE.
  3. They're making hardware and drivers to track the player's eyes, which can provide information to the game engine about where it should focus the rendering rather than assume the player is looking forwards.
The first two are mostly old news at this point, so if you're seeing news about foveated rendering these days it's the last one. But again, it won't do anything in games and engines that don't implement it.

Thank you ppl for all your replies. Some of the answers were a bit contradictory, so I of-course picked the ones I liked and agreed with the most and accepted those as the truth....

So for me the major takeway is that once foveated rendering comes, the game itself needs to implement it to take advantage of the technology - it will not be something magical that just makes every existing game run 3x faster.

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 10, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Basically the headset and driver software (oculus/steamvr) will provide a data variable that says where the eyes are pointed. Think of it like how the controllers work. The hesdset/software provides a variable value that says where the joystick is pointing and which buttons/triggers are pressed.

Nothing happens with just that data alone. It’s up to the game/program that is running to decide what to do with that data.

so when foveated rendering gets rolling the headsets only real responsibility will be to provide data on where the eyes are pointed. The game decides how to use that data to change what/how it renders. Or it ignores it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

explosivo posted:

Yeah, it starts slow and there's a bunch of walking. As you unlock teleports (you can get them pretty quick) it becomes more of "kit out what you can based on what you unlocked/rng then do a dive into the "dungeon" and try to unlock as much as you can" gameplay loop. There are areas that are pretty thick with baddies, and the bad guys get deadlier.

Take and Hold is definitely the core "game" of H3VR (long range engagement map coming soon!) but I had a lot of fun with rottweiners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

As somebody unfamiliar with this game these posts are kind of crazy. I thought it was basically just an experimental shooting range game but I see posts about rogue lites, walking sims, and now dungeons.