Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

dog nougat posted:

Not cookies, but last I checked there wasn't a dedicated pie thread. I baked a pie

I'm bad at posting.

For this pie I tried cooking my apples before assembling the pie to try and combat watery pie. Worked great! Just need to add more sugar next time and slightly reduce the amount of lemon juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always precook the filling. Eliminates watery pies, soggy bottoms, and the gap between top crust and filling (when your crust sets before the filling settles).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I like apple pie but I hate making them because gently caress peeling so many apples.

Anyway I’m in the mood for snickerdoodles (or just sugar cookies would be fine too I guess). Never made them before. What’s a good go to recipe? (Mass measurements only please.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like apple pie but I hate making them because gently caress peeling so many apples.

Anyway I’m in the mood for snickerdoodles (or just sugar cookies would be fine too I guess). Never made them before. What’s a good go to recipe? (Mass measurements only please.)

Just have grankids to pawn the peeling off too, that's what my gramma did.

As for snickerdoodles if you want a real quick and dirty version any plain sugar cookie recipe will do, and then just press them into cinn sugar mix before you bake.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You don't have to peel them, I make a ton of apple pies and I never do. The pro move is then to cut the slices in half horizontally so you never get a big piece of skin.

Snickerdoodles I feel very strongly need to have cream of tartar, they aren't just sugar cookies with cinnamon!!! The ATK recipe is good, paywalled but you can find it on blogs http://2girlsinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2006/09/snickerdoodles-americas-test-kitchen.html

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I agree about the cream of tartar, it's got about 3 good uses but if you're already buying it you can also make some killer meringue and lemonade.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Anne Whateley posted:

You don't have to peel them, I make a ton of apple pies and I never do. The pro move is then to cut the slices in half horizontally so you never get a big piece of skin.

Snickerdoodles I feel very strongly need to have cream of tartar, they aren't just sugar cookies with cinnamon!!! The ATK recipe is good, paywalled but you can find it on blogs http://2girlsinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2006/09/snickerdoodles-americas-test-kitchen.html

Thanks but unfortunately that says to use cups of flour which makes it a poo poo recipe in my eyes and not worth bothering.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Get one of those rotary apple peelers. Less than $20 and let’s you peel, core and slice an apple in less than 30 seconds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1HJSRH/

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks but unfortunately that says to use cups of flour which makes it a poo poo recipe in my eyes and not worth bothering.

That's from ATK/Cook's Illustrated, who obsessively test their recipes and give flour measurements in weight if you look for that recipe elsewhere.

You must be a hit at parties.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

nwin posted:

Good brownie recipe anyone? I saw bravetarts recipe on serious eats but people describe it more cakey than fudgie. I need a fudgie brownie.

https://cafedelites.com/worlds-best-fudgiest-brownies/

Also, the video is mouth-wateringly tantalizing. Why yes I'd eat the batter if I could, why do you ask?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Bravetart's glossy fudgy brownie recipe is very dense and rich, imo. If it were any more dense it would just be fudge. I cut them into 1.5-inch pieces, anything larger than that is kind of overwhelming.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

As a baker I feel you, Googles algorithm has made it impossible to find good recipes. I recommend loving around until you find something that works

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can’t be bothered to peel 10 apples but you’re also too good for volume measures lol

are you that guy that needed a super complicated faster way to peel 4 potatoes too

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

https://cafedelites.com/worlds-best-fudgiest-brownies/

Also, the video is mouth-wateringly tantalizing. Why yes I'd eat the batter if I could, why do you ask?

I made these. I'm not sure they're *better* than the Serious Eats ones, but they are really good.

Segue
May 23, 2007

TheCog posted:

I made these. I'm not sure they're *better* than the Serious Eats ones, but they are really good.

I brought the Serious Eats ones into work once and I still have coworkers tell me how good they were years later.

I haven't had them in awhile since I went vegan but I'm going to try to make her vegan version when the pandemic's over and I can cook for people again.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

No such thing as too many biscuits. Using this recipe doubled and with a teaspoonish of pumpkin spice added. Also some brown and some icing sugar instead of regular sugar because I ran out halfway...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Didn't see a cake thread, but I made a cake for my wife's birthday.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
That looks like a drat fine cake! It looks really chocolatey

I've been trying to learn how to cake. Today I took the Buttercream 101 course at Wilton School in Darien Illinois. It was a lot of fun, it was a workshop to give you practice frosting and piping. Would recommend to anyone that could use help with the fundamentals!

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

That looks like a drat fine cake! It looks really chocolatey

I've been trying to learn how to cake. Today I took the Buttercream 101 course at Wilton School in Darien Illinois. It was a lot of fun, it was a workshop to give you practice frosting and piping. Would recommend to anyone that could use help with the fundamentals!

i took this class with a couple of friends in like 2017 and had the best time (and, hey, maybe we learned some stuff, too!)

everyone else probably hated us because we laughed so much through the whole thing but i have nothing but good things to say about the class for learning some basics

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Speaking of cake/cookie making, what's the best way to tell when butter and sugar are properly creamed together? Mine never really looks light and fluffy, even when I'm turning out cakes where the butter and sugar were obviously overcreamed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How long are you typically creaming it and what makes you think it was over-creamed?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How long are you typically creaming it and what makes you think it was over-creamed?

like, 5 minutes? And there are weird gummy streaks through my cake that internet says are a symptom of over creaming.

edit: five minutes with a stand mixer

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always cream for closer to ten minutes (probably more like 8 or so?). It was my understanding that it’s hard to over cream, and I can’t imagine how you would overcreaming in just five minutes. I just look for the color to turn almost bright white and everything get fluffy. The internet advice notwithstanding, if you don’t feel like it’s fluffy, I’d say cream more.

Edit: Not saying the internet is wrong, but I would think that streaks or whatever in your finished product would be the result of not evenly incorporating your other ingredients after you cream. But that’s just a total guess.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I always cream for closer to ten minutes

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I always cream for closer to ten minutes (probably more like 8 or so?). It was my understanding that it’s hard to over cream, and I can’t imagine how you would overcreaming in just five minutes. I just look for the color to turn almost bright white and everything get fluffy. The internet advice notwithstanding, if you don’t feel like it’s fluffy, I’d say cream more.

Edit: Not saying the internet is wrong, but I would think that streaks or whatever in your finished product would be the result of not evenly incorporating your other ingredients after you cream. But that’s just a total guess.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2015/04/27/creaming-butter-sugar was what I was looking at, fwiw. It could also be that I'm using too-cold butter? My kitchen tends to run cold so softening takes ages.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Interesting. I mean according to this I’ve been over creaming my whole life, but I’ve never seen the issues they says result from it.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I generally set my stand mixer to start creaming at medium speed, let it go for a minute or 2, scrape the bowl, then crank it up higher and let it go for 5-8 more minutes while I wander around the house doing something else. There’s a definite change in shininess and smoothness that happens way after it looks like everything is incorporated and you can’t feel the sugar anymore. I swear, if I watch it then it never changes.

You really do want the butter to be thoroughly soft, though, like been sitting out for several hours. If I know I need to make a buttercream in the evening after work, I’ll take it out of the fridge in the morning before I go to work.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

I made Mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles

They’re v good

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BALLS DILDO posted:

I made Mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles

They’re v good

This very much sounds like my jam. Do you have a recipe?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't know if this is BALLS DILDO's recipe (this one makes flatter cookies in my experience) but this is the recipe I use and it's great.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

This very much sounds like my jam. Do you have a recipe?

I used this recipe: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/soft-thick-snickerdoodles-in-20-minutes/, using slightly less flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, plus a little nutmeg and cayenne

I would probably use less cinnamon in the flour, i used the full 1 1/2 tsp

the original snickerdoodle recipe is great also, ive made it a few times now and they do not last long in the biscuit tin

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Made some rainbow sablés for a pride month fundraiser.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Those are cute!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BALLS DILDO posted:

I used this recipe: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/soft-thick-snickerdoodles-in-20-minutes/, using slightly less flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, plus a little nutmeg and cayenne

I would probably use less cinnamon in the flour, i used the full 1 1/2 tsp

the original snickerdoodle recipe is great also, ive made it a few times now and they do not last long in the biscuit tin

Thanks!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hi again cookie friends, in a couple months I’m moving into a new apartment with more kitchen prep space and am looking forward to making cookies semiregularly again.

One thing I think I want to try and do is get my cashew caramel cookies to the final form I’ve had in mind, which has ribbons/swirls of caramel through the cookies instead of just caramel bits. Just how to accomplish that is beyond me at present so I figured I should ask!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Roll the dough out, lay ribbons/drizzle of carmels, roll, and make as sliced roll cookies?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

That’s a neat idea, but I’ve never done sliced roll cookies. Will I need to adjust my dough to make it a little stiffer, or as long as I’m using a good knife it should be fine?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Putting dough in the fridge will solve that

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I use twine/dental floss for cutting my doughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Salted toffee pretzel chunk