Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

GORE NOT LORE

Definite thread title material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

GORE NOT LORE

hell yes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like some explaining but I don’t need like a full run down.

I thought Us did it perfectly. Underground, experiments, some kind of copying going on...that’s enough for me!

I can fill in my own gaps.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Kvlt! posted:

GORE NOT LORE

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Kvlt! posted:

GORE NOT LORE

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lore=chore
Gore=score

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It was me, I enjoyed The Silmarillion

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Iron Crowned posted:

we knew about jon stewart, but colbert posted here too?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

When I was a teenager I went on a multi day road trip with my dad. He's an enormous Tolkien fan, and at that point I hadn't read any of the books (and the Jackson films didn't exist yet), so I knew nothing about any of it, nor did I give a poo poo. He made us listen to The Silmarillion audiobook the entire trip.

I haven't gone anywhere with him since.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I mean if you're going to subject someone to The Silmarillion, just play Nightfall in Middle-Earth

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

When I was a teenager I went on a multi day road trip with my dad. He's an enormous Tolkien fan, and at that point I hadn't read any of the books (and the Jackson films didn't exist yet), so I knew nothing about any of it, nor did I give a poo poo. He made us listen to The Silmarillion audiobook the entire trip.

legit horror

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean if you're going to subject someone to The Silmarillion, just play Nightfall in Middle-Earth

Wisdom

(of course, listening to Nightfall, you don't get a very good idea of which elf is screwing over who, and what horrible fate bewaits them because of it... But this is also true of reading the Silmarillion)

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I thought for a second this was about the Canadian radio series Nightfall and was so confused.

https://archive.org/details/Nightfall-cbcRadioProgram-episodesMp3Format

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I will never read The Silmarillion because it's boring as gently caress. However, I have to admit that I enjoy watching LotR lore videos on YouTube that I can tune in and out of.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the Silmarillion is great. like it's not loving Wookiepedia, it's a bunch of semi-contradictory origin myths for feuding elf clans mixed in with Tolkien's self-insert low-key bragging about how hot his wife is

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

basically what i'm saying is I'd watch Rob Zombie's The Silmarillion

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Same tbh

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought I was the only one who liked the Silmarilion.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I never knew how bad I needed to see this until now.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

If there wasn't the silmarillion, how would we know about the history of the silmarils???

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone watched Possum? it's kind of awesome but also slow as molasses and I started to doze off a few times. Maybe I was just too tired to watch a movie like that last night. Wasn't really prepared for it being that level of art house. Man, that puppet is legit creepy as poo poo though so kudos. The movie gave me heavy Stalker vibes a lot of the time.

I kind of wish I had watched it in a better mind state. Feels like something I'd have been all about if I wasn't dead tired from work. A rewatch is probably in order soon. there's just a lot of poo poo going on thematically. It's only 80 minutes anyways.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I really liked it, and I've seen it a few times. Definitely worth a rewatch.

The director is Matthew Holness aka Garth Marenghi, of Darkplace. I was very impressed with it as debut feature.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do you think his crazy abusive uncle was even real? At least in the sense that he was around/alive at the time the movie takes place? I couldn't really tell tbh

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

Same tbh

You'd watch Rob Zombie's Baby Geniuses, though. (A movie made by a much more talented horror director named Robert, I might add.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why was that movie made. For real I need to know the origins.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

GORE NOT LORE

Yeah. I think genre fiction should stimulate the imagination, not kill it. So when Obi Wan talks about the "clone wars" in the first Star Wars you're like "wow, that sounds really cool, I wonder what those were?". And then you find out in the prequels that it was just some dumb bullshit.

Same with the first Halloween. They tell you just enough for your imagination to start working, which makes it a lot of fun to speculate about the nature and meaning of Michael Myers. Providing some very literal, detailed explanation of what is going on just kills everything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We still don’t know how Carpenters Myers ended up like he is so he’s fine.

Zombies is his own thing. The mystery wasn’t the point

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

We still don’t know how Carpenters Myers ended up like he is so he’s fine.

Zombies is his own thing. The mystery wasn’t the point

I mean if you take the original continuity, Carpenter's Michael was like that cause he was some kind of weird demon that cult worshipped. Only the recent retcon sequel removed that. Unless you're saying nothing after the first one counts as Carpenter's Michael.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tac Dibar posted:

Same with the first Halloween. They tell you just enough for your imagination to start working, which makes it a lot of fun to speculate about the nature and meaning of Michael Myers. Providing some very literal, detailed explanation of what is going on just kills everything.

No, Jason just kills everything. Michael is a bit more discerning.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vince MechMahon posted:

I mean if you take the original continuity, Carpenter's Michael was like that cause he was some kind of weird demon that cult worshipped. Only the recent retcon sequel removed that. Unless you're saying nothing after the first one counts as Carpenter's Michael.

No that’s about right.

I was just pointing out that Zombies myers is it’s own thing. It wasn’t aboht the mystery. The horror wasn’t the unknown, it was the known...or whatever.

Anyway his myers is the scariest one because he’s so big.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

No that’s about right.

I was just pointing out that Zombies myers is it’s own thing. It wasn’t aboht the mystery. The horror wasn’t the unknown, it was the known...or whatever.

Anyway his myers is the scariest one because he’s so big.

Oh yeah absolutely, I was just being pedantic really.

I like the part in two where he fucks up the guy who works at the strip club.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Thinking a bit more about the role of the viewer's imagination: I feel like it has an important role in any successful horror or fantasy movie. You have to give the viewer's mind some space to work on it's own. So, as an example example, "The Thing", which on the surface seems like the ultimate "show everything" movie. For me, the most interesting and memorable parts of the movie were those where the viewer has to fill in the gaps. "Where did that guy go?" and "What has this other guy been up to?" I mean, even the buildup to a simple jump scare in whatever slasher movie often rests on allowing the viewer's imagination to fill what's beyond the immediate camera view with scary stuff. Protagonist walks around in the dark, tension builds... And BAM! Cat jumps out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think putting too much emphasis on leaving space for the viewer's imagination falls into the exact same trap as obsessing over lore, just in an inverted way. You're still treating treating fiction as a simulated world, just with an assertion that you could imagine something better in the gaps than the author, instead of straining to see more of what they say it contains.

Maybe you could, but who cares? Fiction isn't a simulated world. It's communication. Excess information is bad when it obscures meaning, but the exact same thing could be said about saying too little. What matters is force and clarity, not (in)completeness for its own sake.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s like the Alien thing . What made alien scary for everyone apparently was not knowing where it came from or why it existed but idk I never found the alien scary and I find David wiping out the population on a planet to do weird experiments to be super creepy and compelling.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think putting too much emphasis on leaving space for the viewer's imagination falls into the exact same trap as obsessing over lore, just in an inverted way. You're still treating treating fiction as a simulated world, just with an assertion that you could imagine something better in the gaps than the author, instead of straining to see more of what they say it contains.

Maybe you could, but who cares? Fiction isn't a simulated world. It's communication. Excess information is bad when it obscures meaning, but the exact same thing could be said about saying too little. What matters is force and clarity, not (in)completeness for its own sake.

Yeah, I'm not saying that imagination is the only thing or better than what the author can present, I'm saying that good horror successfully combines what is served with what you yourself construct, leaving space for the imagination. Otherwise a horror movie could just consist of the text "imagine the scariest thing possible", and people would scream and poo poo their pants in horror.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

It’s like the Alien thing . What made alien scary for everyone apparently was not knowing where it came from or why it existed but idk I never found the alien scary and I find David wiping out the population on a planet to do weird experiments to be super creepy and compelling.

David is definitely the best part of the Alien movies just like the actual story of the prequels is the most interesting thing in Star Wars. I think it's more of an issue of people not being able to recapture their initial feeling in sequels and trying to explain away why.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Darko posted:

David is definitely the best part of the Alien movies just like the actual story of the prequels is the most interesting thing in Star Wars. I think it's more of an issue of people not being able to recapture their initial feeling in sequels and trying to explain away why.

I absolutely disagree with the assertion that David is the best part of the entire Alien franchise. Not at all. He's certainly the best parts of Prometheus and Alien Covenant. Minus, like, the self-performed cesarean section.

David's quest for genocide and wiping out the Engineers and Humanity is interesting because it's ironic that he is compelled to create, but the only thing he can create are more tools of destruction. He becomes what he hates. He may love the creatures he makes, but they, like humanity to the engineers, destroy their masters and their prey and each other. He continues a cycle of violence that he himself thinks he's better than.

That's all well and good.

The problem with David creating the xenomorphs is that it makes the entire Alien universe so small. It's no longer about an entity so alien from humans (while incorporating their DNA). The parasitic life cycle is no longer an "alien" thing when it was created by an Earth robot. The cycle of Queen > Egg > Facehugger > Chest bursting infant > Adult Xenomorph is also a very weird, imperfect birth cycle to be created by an Earth robot when the previous death devices he's utilizing are already more efficient. When you can see the Xenomorph in Alien and Aliens and think "Where do these things come from? What planet has allowed these things to evolve in this manner? How does the universe create such perfect killing machines?" And to say "A robot did it cuz he's angy at daddy" steals the magic, and making it canon is probably a bigger stake in the heart of Alien franchise than AVP:R. The only way we're getting a sequel is cuz Ridley Scott's making it. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a few years, Alien gets a Halloween 2018 reboot that ignores the prequel trilogy cuz it overcomplicates and under-delivers in lame quantities.

The irony of "We created our own demise" is such a lame irony that the series previously did not ever have. So to throw that in on 8th movie is such a myopic twist.

It really is equivalent to the Cult of Thorn from Halloween 6, where you realize the neighbors were in on making Michael Myers a killer and the babysitter was part of the cult and the whole thing actually originates in a three block radius.

Before you @ me, I like Prometheus and Alien Covenant enough, but I think the ending of Prometheus, where we see how these creatures evolve and adapt with every host, and now they have human DNA in their systems to evolve with, is much more interesting than David straight up saying "Yo, I made this. Cool, right?"

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 10, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

really you can blame Cameron for loving up the Alien life cycle by introducing the Queen. I'll take a hundred weird android experiments and bipedal xeno horrors over space bugs, to me David's weird poo poo with the goop actually expands the world because it's just so odd

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

really you can blame Cameron for loving up the Alien life cycle by introducing the Queen. I'll take a hundred weird android experiments and bipedal xeno horrors over space bugs

How do you figure? The queen makes sense. We have precedents for animal colonies with queens. There are a lot of animals that have a biological queen born that lays eggs that become workers. It's way more sound than David figuring out genetic mutation on an empty planet with just one human to experiment on.

Like, I can blame Cameron for making one of the best sequels to a genre film, that cares about the characters and makes a logical progression for the story, the setting, the creatures, and thematically ties everything together in a satisfying way while also making a great action film with horror sci-fi imagery.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the precedents existing in nature are exactly why it's limiting. it renders it just another animal, not alien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

the precedents existing in nature are exactly why it's limiting. it renders it just another animal, not alien

An alien animal is still an animal. Engineers are animals. The worm cobra from Prometheus is an animal. It's a living multicellular eukaryotic organism = animal.