Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahahahahahahaha

edit: what a great time for the page to flip over.

gently caress Don Cherry and gently caress everyone on that puzzle image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1369691610599014404

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I do love how Conservatives have used "cancel culture" as a marketing tool.

Buy this before it's cancelled!!!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Interesting how the embed ends up cutting off the image in such a way that you don't even see Vasilevski at the top.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
THEY DIDN'T gently caress IT UP COMPLETELY.

For the most part, it's playoffs-focused, along with NHL.TV now attached to ESPN+.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-...term-agreement/

quote:

The Walt Disney Company, ESPN and National Hockey League Reach Groundbreaking Long-Term Agreement

The Walt Disney Company, ESPN and the National Hockey League have reached a historic and innovative seven-year television, streaming and media rights deal, taking the new partnership from the beginning of the 2021-22 season through the 2027-28 season.

The visionary, first-of-its-kind agreement brings the NHL back to Disney and ESPN platforms and illustrates the unique position of The Walt Disney Company to bring the best hockey in the world to millions across its unparalleled collection of media platforms.

It is highlighted by: exclusive coverage of the Stanley Cup Final on ABC in four of the seven years of the agreement, with the ability to simulcast/megacast on ESPN+ and additional ESPN networks; the return of live NHL action to ESPN networks with 25 exclusive national regular-season games on ABC or ESPN; 75 national regular-season games per season produced by ESPN that will stream exclusively on both ESPN+ and Hulu; half of the Stanley Cup Playoffs on ABC and ESPN each season; and coverage annually of NHL’s Face-off (opening night games), the NHL All-Star Game and Skills Challenge, plus other NHL special events each season.

Additionally, the NHL’s out-of-market streaming package, with more than 1,000 games (formerly on NHL.TV), will now be available for fans to stream only as part of an ESPN+ subscription.

The agreement also includes extensive highlight rights that will add to coverage across ESPN’s year-round news and highlights programming, and to coverage on the ESPN App and social media. International media rights – including in Latin America, the Caribbean and parts of Europe – are also part of the agreement.

Stanley Cup Final, Stanley Cup Playoffs and NHL Regular Season action return to ABC and ESPN networks

Under the new agreement, the NHL’s Stanley Cup Final and Stanley Cup Playoffs action will return to the ABC and ESPN networks – including exclusive coverage of the Stanley Cup Final in four of the seven years of the deal – beginning with the 2021-22 season.

Additionally, in each season of the agreement, ESPN and ABC will have live, exclusive coverage of one Conference Final series and half of all First Round and Second Round games from the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Throughout the regular season, 25 games from the NHL schedule will be carried live, exclusively on ABC or ESPN.

Live game coverage, plus studio, surround and original programming plans across all of The Walt Disney Company’s networks and streaming platforms will be announced in the coming months, including a new weekly studio show during the NHL season on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.

NHL Streaming on ESPN+ and Hulu

Beginning with the start of the 2021-22 season in October, ESPN+ will stream more than 1,000 live NHL games per season, including 75 national games per season produced by ESPN and streamed exclusively on both ESPN+ and Hulu, a first.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That actually sounds horrible to me because it means I have to pay ESPN, or more specifically Disney, to watch hockey. Yet again I'm buying giant packages of stuff I don't watch to get the one thing I do want to watch.

I like NHL.tv because it's laser focused, they just need to fix the blackout garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Well Don Cherry may be gone but the Canadian culture wars are just as stupid as ever:

Anyone got Jeff Gorton's number? Found a destination for Tony DeAngelo.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah and yet the previous tweet you posted had Andy at the bottom of the league in GSAx, this is the issue with scoring chance models is that each one differs so much and what people count when they count them changes. Andersen is rough on these aggregate stats because he's two different goalies: top of the league on low-danger chances at 5 on 5 and bottom of the league on high-danger chances and on the PK. How well he grades out depends on how much weight those different aspects are given.

Personally I think a goalie that saves high-danger shots at a league average rate for the Leafs would be more valuable than a goalie who gives up one fewer goal every 30 point shots he sees. The fun thing is that on a team like the Islanders Andersen might be a Vezina candidate but on a team like the Leafs he's probably worse than average because their weakness is also his weakness.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

THEY DIDN'T gently caress IT UP COMPLETELY.

For the most part, it's playoffs-focused, along with NHL.TV now attached to ESPN+.

i would assume nbc/usa network is gonna get the other deal

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

i would assume nbc/usa network is gonna get the other deal
Yeah they'll spilt with NBCUni. Very similar to the NFL broadcasting deal, down to rotating the final annually

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

That actually sounds horrible to me because it means I have to pay ESPN, or more specifically Disney, to watch hockey. Yet again I'm buying giant packages of stuff I don't watch to get the one thing I do want to watch.

I like NHL.tv because it's laser focused, they just need to fix the blackout garbage.

I can’t tell if this is horrible or great. There’s two huge unknowns-

1) Do DNS-based blackout workarounds like Yonder.tv work with ESPN+?

2) Its unclear from the article if all the games will simply be a part of ESPN+, or if NHL.tv will be an add-on service to ESPN+ and require an additional cost. If it’s the former, that’s great because a year of ESPN+ is only 72 bucks as opposed to a season of NHL.tv being 129 bucks or whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Internet says Unlocator does ESPN+.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just FYI Disney offers a Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle for $12.99/mo. Might be helpful if you already have a Hulu or Disney+ standalone account

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

2) Its unclear from the article if all the games will simply be a part of ESPN+, or if NHL.tv will be an add-on service to ESPN+ and require an additional cost. If it’s the former, that’s great because a year of ESPN+ is only 72 bucks as opposed to a season of NHL.tv being 129 bucks or whatever.

The press release is 404-ing right now (maybe they jumped the gun?), but the end of it really seemed to suggest that out-of-market games are just part of ESPN+ and not an add-on.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Well Don Cherry may be gone but the Canadian culture wars are just as stupid as ever:

It's hard to see just how bad it is from those shots

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

lmao that is tragic

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I expected that ESPN deal to be far worse. How about that

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

A Canadian team lifting the cup? Patently absurd.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
The old flag even being included is just hilarious

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

1) who is nostalgic for Stephen Harper. Even the most ardent centre right Canadians I know at best view him as a competent placeholder prime minister.

2) Is this move of NHL.tv to ESPN+ going to affect the Canadian rights?

3) I guess it makes sense why Disney decided to reboot the Mighty Ducks now of all times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Canadian NHL.tv/Gamecenter is separate.

it's run by Rogers and isn't even the same platform.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Canadian NHL.tv/Gamecenter is separate.

it's run by Rogers and isn't even the same platform.

Thanks, I know it's under the Rogers banner here but I wasn't sure how that was affected given the ESPN rights and Rogers seeming complete inability to sell ads on that service.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

goldrush posted:

The old flag even being included is just hilarious

The kinds of idiots who will buy that puzzle believe we should switch back to that flag (called the Red Ensign). I am not making this up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aren't red ensigns the dudes who die all the time in Star Trek?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Stephen Harper and my father look bizarrely alike so this lovely neocon imagery is particularly disorienting for me

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

The kinds of idiots who will buy that puzzle believe we should switch back to that flag (called the Red Ensign). I am not making this up.

Why would anyone want to return to the Red Ensign when there were literally thousands of better options submitted as entries in the great flag debate?

I for one am in favour of the Beatlemania flag.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Carpinello is saying Panarin returned to practice in Boston today. No word on if he needs to get more practices in before he can start on Thursday.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

Why would anyone want to return to the Red Ensign when there were literally thousands of better options submitted as entries in the great flag debate?

I for one am in favour of the Beatlemania flag.

this flag, but with four hilarious Maple Leaf losses in each quadrant

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

this flag, but with four hilarious Maple Leaf losses in each quadrant

How do you pick just four?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

thefncrow posted:

The press release is 404-ing right now (maybe they jumped the gun?), but the end of it really seemed to suggest that out-of-market games are just part of ESPN+ and not an add-on.

they jumped the gun

it was just reposted

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Okay, now the NHL-ESPN deal is official

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1369726480931037190

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gonna be funny to see ESPN execs scramble to try and make their audience care about hockey after completely ignoring it for fifteen years.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Now that the press release is back, I'll go back to this:

OldSenileGuy posted:

The bit of the press release I was referencing:

quote:

Additionally, ESPN+ subscribers get truly incredible value with more than 1,000 out-of-market games now available digitally only on the industry-leading sports streaming service – making it a must-have for hockey fans.

That strongly seems to suggest it's just part of ESPN+ and not an add-on.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

xzzy posted:

(1) It was 4-1
(2) It was 5-1
(3) 5-0 in the third against St Louis
(4) 6 shots in an elimination game

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

(1) It was 4-1
(2) It was 5-1
(4) 6 shots in an elimination game lost to their own Zamboni driver

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

thefncrow posted:

That strongly seems to suggest it's just part of ESPN+ and not an add-on.

I really hope you're right about this. I'd love to spend $130 on something else.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's fitting that it's the Red Ensign because that was the flag the last year the Leafs won the Stanley Cup.

I know it was two years earlier but gently caress it that ruins my joke that the leafs haven't won in forever so I'm going with it

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

xzzy posted:

leafsmountrushmore.jpg

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is ESPN+ available anywhere or do they have market restrictions in place?

Even then, there are workarounds- I can watch the CBJ anywhere as long as I'm logged into FSGO from my Ohio account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

(1) It was 4-1
(2) It was 5-1
(4) 6 shots in an elimination game

(5) lost to Zamboni driver who they employed
(6) no high sticking penalty on Gretzky in OT

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 10, 2021