Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is ESPN+ available anywhere or do they have market restrictions in place?

Even then, there are workarounds- I can watch the CBJ anywhere as long as I'm logged into FSGO from my Ohio account.

It's US wide with the same blackout rules you're used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
David Ayres game replaces the St Louis game — I seem to remember that the Blues were pretty good then so it's really not the same. Gretzky high stick game doesn't really fit the criteria.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/JesseGranger_/status/1369697730759565313?s=20
Bad news for the Knights, I suppose. That division is tight as hell

I also forgot Pietrangelo signed with them

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

David Ayres game replaces the St Louis game — I seem to remember that the Blues were pretty good then so it's really not the same. Gretzky high stick game doesn't really fit the criteria.

It's actually very funny that the Leafs didn't get the automatic five minute powerplay in overtime of an elimination game which would've sent them to the cup finals.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is ESPN going to fawn over the same eight to ten teams as NBC has spent the last decade doing?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is ESPN going to fawn over the same eight to ten teams as NBC has spent the last decade doing?

probably

but yes, the music is coming back

https://twitter.com/ESPNFrontRow/status/1369732378009157639

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Not until the Pens get another couple drafts rigged. They’ll go back to being a lovely team on the verge of moving that no one cares about that is their natural state whenever they don’t have 2 generational players.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hello old friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IISg373pmII

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fabbro got 2 games for his elbow on McGinn

E: YO

https://twitter.com/HaidaHockey/status/1369546539400503296

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are teams dictating team influenced themes on goalie helmets now, or are goalies just getting more boring/predictable?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hell yeah :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

xzzy posted:

Are teams dictating team influenced themes on goalie helmets now, or are goalies just getting more boring/predictable?

Weren't there people concerned/complaining about Holtby co-opting another culture onto his mask at one point? This appears it should put that to bed.

In any event, Elvis has some meme dog (Doge?) with Deal With It shades on his mask, so teams may not be dictating.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

1) who is nostalgic for Stephen Harper. Even the most ardent centre right Canadians I know at best view him as a competent placeholder prime minister.

Well, given the other trash they've dragged up front since then.....

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

That elbow was only a minor penalty :mad:

That helmet is pretty loving sweet, to me. If I move out west I might be a Vancouver fan.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

This is cool. Too many masks have glitter, lense flares, and gradients making them an indistinguishable soup. Bold will hold, as tattoo artists say.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

they fawned over two baseball teams for over a decade straight so what's stopping them really

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

https://twitter.com/JesseGranger_/status/1369697730759565313?s=20
Bad news for the Knights, I suppose. That division is tight as hell

I also forgot Pietrangelo signed with them

It's awkward against the big teams, but they're perfectly capable of steamrolling bad teams without him.

Though it does get really awkward if Theodore misses any more time.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NHLdotcom/status/1369741946147790849

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Weren't there people concerned/complaining about Holtby co-opting another culture onto his mask at one point? This appears it should put that to bed.

I think he did a similar designed mask but it was done by a white artist and he took some flak for it. This seems to have First Nations input at the very least.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

looks like espn got the better package

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1369743909455282183
https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1369744387983499275

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

May not be the most appropriate place to talk about it but it's legit crazy how fast Disney became the biggest streaming player of all. They went on a buying spree and got drat near everything.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's a pretty crappy deal for the NHL. Sounds like they were just desperate to get back on ESPN. They're negotiating from a pretty terrible position of weakness only being able to sell their B package now. Why would anyone bid anything significant when Disney gets first choice of everything that could draw an audience?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

ThinkTank posted:

That's a pretty crappy deal for the NHL. Sounds like they were just desperate to get back on ESPN. They're negotiating from a pretty terrible position of weakness only being able to sell their B package now. Why would anyone bid anything significant when Disney gets first choice of everything that could draw an audience?

Sure, but you do get the help of the other bidder knowing that espn is going to be actively promoting hockey, as opposed to a black hole for it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Sure, but you do get the help of the other bidder knowing that espn is going to be actively promoting hockey, as opposed to a black hole for it.

"want to spend $200m/yr on the rights to the Panthers/Islanders series? ESPN might show the highlights at the 59 minute mark of the 10pm broadcast."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I still don't buy for a second that the NHL is going to get more than a very quick mention, if any, on sportscenter or any of their talking heads programs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's also worth noting that the NHL seemingly sold all the streaming rights to ESPN, and with so many networks looking for a draw for their proprietary platforms why would they bother? I can see NBC backing out entirely here.

Lol the NHL TV rights deal is the 3rd headline on ESPN.com behind Edelman's open letter to that racist basketball guy and some non story about Alex Smith. You have to scroll past three stories about NFL free agency and two about March madness to even see a splash banner about it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 10, 2021

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I mean, the B package would still get the other conference final series + 3 of the next 7 Stanley Cup Finals, so it's not a horrible deal, but it definitely isn't as appetizing as the A package.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Black outs are the normal ones on ESPN+. I can’t watch Buffalo/nyc/nj in central ny. Because they’re all on msg.

I’m going to predict it will be a $10-$20 a month add on for the whole package. With the normal 1 or 2 featured games a night on ESPN+.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this is a us first

https://twitter.com/sportswatch/status/1369751927676866561

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bring back the Fox robots

Or let's get weird and go to Viacom so we get some Nickelodeon games

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kilza posted:

I mean, the B package would still get the other conference final series + 3 of the next 7 Stanley Cup Finals, so it's not a horrible deal, but it definitely isn't as appetizing as the A package.

Western Conference games are a ratings nightmare because they're outside primetime on the east coast. ESPN is just going to pick the Eastern Conference Finals every year unless its an all Canadian matchup.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
So does this mean there will be even more blackouts on NHL.tv if there are more 'national' games? Or will things not change?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Western Conference games are a ratings nightmare because they're outside primetime on the east coast. ESPN is just going to pick the Eastern Conference Finals every year unless its an all Canadian matchup.

This is absolutely what will happen, yeah

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

negotiating from a pretty terrible position of weakness

THAT IS THE GARY BETTMAN WAY

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Unless Chicago is involved in the WCF then you can make an argument

They'll almost 100% take Chicago VS. Random Team over a lot of potential east matchups

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I believe the NHL has just been lining up the ECF and WCF (and SCF) to be at the same time (8 PM ET) when possible in recent years. Of course, there aren't as many big markets in the Western Conference as there is in the Eastern Conference, so that's at least a valid point.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The biggest question to me is what terrible quasi sporting event will preempt the Stanley Cup Finals on ESPN like the Kentucky Derby pre-race did on NBC. Water polo Olympic qualifiers? Overlook Championship semi finals? That marble race thing that was briefly popular at the start of the pandemic?

I guess we'll wait and see.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

ThinkTank posted:

The biggest question to me is what terrible quasi sporting event will preempt the Stanley Cup Finals on ESPN like the Kentucky Derby pre-race did on NBC. Water polo Olympic qualifiers? Overlook Championship semi finals? That marble race thing that was briefly popular at the start of the pandemic?

I guess we'll wait and see.

NBA G League

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

college quidditch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unironically hope hockey gets moved to the ocho.